The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Sorensen
"TRF" Member

How did you acquire your SS daytona?

I have recently bought my first rolex (GMT 116710LN) from a local AD here in Denmark and i am already out looking for my next watch. I tried on the SS daytona in both black and white and fell completely in love with the black dial version. But as you can imagine, i have zero chance of getting on the waiting list for that watch.

I have been very lucky to get on a waiting list for the watch at another local AD, but i have no hope of ever getting the call.

How did you acquire the SS daytona?
Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:34 PM   #2
365DAS
"TRF" Member

I’ve got a great relationship with my AD and initially turned down the Black Dial and waited a couple of months for the White to come in...but then ended up buying the Black also for my wife a short while later.

It’s a tough one as ADs always hear the same request daily and that’s when they become accustomed to being the ones to reject most requests. But equally I doubt any AD has an opportunity to go out and “offer” it to an existing client so you’ve got no choice but to ask. That said (and been mentioned here on numerous occasions), go in and discuss watches in general, try something they’ve got and indirectly bring up would you’d like etc and sometimes it works.

Off topic but I feel a similar situation is obtaining a Hermes Birkin handbag, if anything some suggest that it’s harder (I certainly think so!). I’ve always popped in and asked the question (do you have one?) and the responses are quite funny (even had someone laugh back!). I visited another Hermes store and look around at belts and scarves and casually said that I wouldn’t bother talking about a Birkin handbag as I know what their response would be. The guy took interest and wanted me to expand (and then almost looked like he took offence at the suggestion that they’re all branded with the same attitude). Nice thing was that he then talked me through the approach they employ in that particular store and said that it’s a shame that not all stores were in his opinion professional in their approach but would note my interests and take my details without trying to give me any false promises. 4 months later, he got in touch and said that he had received one and that it was mine if wished and had 7 days to collect it as he knew I wasn’t from the area...collected it within 5 days and the wife was thrilled as expected!

So point being here is sometimes you’ve got to take a different approach and it’ll come to fruition and now my wife has a route into having a relationship with a brand that is as difficult to get with some watch brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:07 PM   #3
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
I got mine from a watch-friend in Germany Last year, for a good price.
Old 21 April 2019, 10:27 PM   #4
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Purchased two from my great AD during the recession in 2008.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:28 PM   #5
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Got both (white and black) from my amazing AD! No games!
Old 21 April 2019, 10:44 PM   #6
rcwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Daytona
Its extremely tough these with AD’s. If your not in the favourable position of having a large account with them your only option is to just shop around or purchase through a grey dealer
Old 21 April 2019, 10:54 PM   #7
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Got my 116520 pre-ceramic white dial Daytona from a trusted grey dealer, paid well over the last known MSRP.
I will have to wait until the next economic crisis before buying a 116500 at MSRP
Batmannr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:54 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well it was a fluke 10 years ago when the white 116520 rage was in full song. My 10 y.o. polar Expl. II + $6K in my first flip.

Was prolly the best deal I made...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:58 PM   #9
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

I got mine in July of 2010 strictly by chance. I walked into an AD just to browse and the sales rep brought one from the safe. I was shocked to find it wasn't spoken for, so I bought it. It was my first Rolex. Times have changed a lot since then!
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:07 PM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

It’s gonna make everyone mad, but cold called a random AD. Black in 3 weeks and white took 12 months. Don’t worry, they’ve since cut me off saying they can no longer ship. My watches from them were:

Black Daytona
Black ss skydweller
White Daytona
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:34 PM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
It’s gonna make everyone mad, but cold called a random AD. Black in 3 weeks and white took 12 months. Don’t worry, they’ve since cut me off saying they can no longer ship. My watches from them were:

Black Daytona
Black ss skydweller
White Daytona

How bout the one with diamonds?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:35 PM   #12
Fleegle
"TRF" Member

I like doing business with people that I like and it seems that my AD does too. AD get's inundated with enquiries for hot Rolex from potential customers who do nothing except constantly ask where they are on the 'list'. For those people, it's unlikely to end well whilst the demand level is high.

It's about building a relationship and this is not necessarily about spending money. Think about your wife. You probably didn't get your leg-over on the first occasion! It will have taken a few dates, a meal here, a gift there, some engaging conversation, etc...

AD is only a few minutes from where I live. 90% of the AD's sales are conducted at lunchtime and at the weekend. At other times, it's dead during mid-week and the staff die of boredom. That's when I pop in - about once or twice a month for a general chit-chat about watches (not just Rolex). I might show them a vintage watch, or talk about some new forthcoming watch, or ask their opinion on what to get for wife or family (the store also sells some cheap jewellery and trinkets).

The SA that I deal with and the store manager, both love to talk watches. They have a real passion and so do I, so the chat goes on and on. It amuses them and I.

Any watch in the family that needs servicing goes to the AD - they don't do it themselves but then earn a few £$€ when sending it on to RSC. They've transacted 4 services for me and goes to demonstrate my loyalty.

When something interesting comes in, I seem to get more than my fair share even though I'm far from being on their list of big spenders. In the last 12 months they've sold me: SD43, SS GMT BLRO, SS Daytona in white. Can't grumble with that.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:35 PM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I asked nicely and not so nicely
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:00 AM   #14
envuks

I emailed my AD and he had one for me in 60 days.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:23 AM   #15
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
First white 116520: Back in 2010 or so, a friend tipped me off that there was a stainless Daytona in the case at a local AD. Went to check it out and sure enough there was a white one. Wore it for a few years and sold it because I didn’t like the bezel and lack of a date.

Second white 116520: Saw it in a case at another AD in 2016. Was their last non ceramic and had been sitting there for awhile. Guess everybody was focused on the ceramic at the time. Actually passed the first time I saw it but ended up returning a few weeks later to get it. Traded it to DavidSW as part of getting a 116619. Was honest with the AD and told them my plans and they didn’t care. Even gave me tax off they just wanted it sold. This watch was literally in my possession for less than 3 hours.

Black 116500: Told my AD (neither of the above—the first AD lost their status a few years ago and the second AD I visited from time to time but never bought anything else) that I wanted the black 116500. Took a few months but got the call. Still have it and it’s a keeper.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:43 AM   #16
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

Bought my first Rolex in Nov 2017 it was a SubDateC. There was multiple SS subs and GMTs in the case at the time and I didn’t know how lucky I was to have this selection. Shortly after the SA told me I should put my name down for the Daytona just in case I decided I wanted it. So I did and upon seeing pics of it online I instantly wanted this watch badly like many others. So I would stop in and call the AD every couple weeks and talk watches and check the status of his shipments to no luck.

On my honeymoon I came very close to acquiring one and got to hold it in hand but the AD asked for a PM bundle which I didn’t go for. Bought two other pieces for a friend but that wasn’t enough.

Fast forward to this past December and took one last chance and talking to the SA at my local AD. He admitted that the allocation for all Daytonas in 2019 were done and I wouldn’t have a chance at one for this year. I thanked him for his honesty and began searching more seriously online. I ended up making a deal with a local seller on the forums for a BNIB black 116500. We met up and the transaction went smoothly. I couldn’t be happier that I was able to get the watch that I wanted.

Unless you have a serious buying history, or know someone that does, chances are that you may not see one for a long time going through the AD process. If possible do what makes you happy.
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:55 AM   #17
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
How bout the one with diamonds?
Don’t worry, The platona with bling is on the list.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:30 AM   #18
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I just asked nicely. Waited a short period and then boom.

Old 22 April 2019, 01:39 AM   #19
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
Patiently waited for the call from my AD.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:47 AM   #20
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Relationship. Ie time and money spent in the past.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:59 AM   #21
hagin
"TRF" Member

Fortuitously, I bought a white 116520 secondhand right after the 500s came out. There was a glut and you could have your pick for $10-11k at the time. That turned out rather well.

I really do want to get the black DayC at a non-ridiculous price but living in a city with a lot of tourists with money and a lot of residents with money I don't see myself ever making "the list" of clients important enough to get one.

Having spoken to some other ADs, it seems like Rolex is strongly encouraging them to sell locally, meaning the watch needs to be fitted, the warranty card filled out and sales tax paid. Oh and no shipping of course. That greatly limits options. Everyone like me in this city will be doing the same thing: filling up waiting lists on ADs within 1-2 hours.

It's kind of ridiculous how hard it is to get pretty much any SS model now.
hagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:04 AM   #22
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Bought my Daytona (white face) from AD 6/18. Since I purchased seven watches from this AD I was given preferential treatment. After purchasing this watch, I'm inclined to sell it as it is not very functional to suit my tastes. I guess I got into the hype of this watch.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:05 AM   #23
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
Got mine last month through an AD that I’ve known for 20+ years.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:06 AM   #24
OysterBracelet
Banned

I'm in a relationship with my AD.
OysterBracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:12 AM   #25
OliverTwist
"TRF" Member

My jeweler and Rolex Ad called me and said that he just took delivery of a watch in that i should come in and pick up. He said he had a list of people that would “give their right arms” for it but he was giving me the first chance. I’d bought several Rolexes from him before as well as being an overall very good customer. I went right over, saw the Daytona and fell in love with it. It went home with me.
OliverTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:37 AM   #26
stylinleems

Placed my name on the two ADs lists which I had purchased from previously when the Daytona was announced.

Picked up the Black dial Nov 2018 from one and the White dial April 2019 form the other.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:51 AM   #27
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Walked into an AD. Asked what watches they had. Bought the watch that I wanted. 1 year ago.

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 03:21 AM   #28
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Took a long time, and I had an established sales history.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 03:23 AM   #29
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Obtained compromising pictures of my AD Manager and then asked if they could get me a SS Daytona of my colour choice!

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 03:25 AM   #30
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
From a high-powered AD who is close friends with a relative. My relative made one phone call Hollywood-style. They moved me to the top of the list, ahead of all the VVIPs. Had it 4 weeks later. No prior purchase history.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote