The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 April 2019, 10:15 AM   #1
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
What to do after a grail?

I know I'll eventually have to make my own choices, but I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences to help guide me on my horological journey. I love chronographs and six months ago, I owned eight steel chronographs that covered various dial colors, straps, bracelets, and included various complications like perpetual calendar and GMT. I loved the variety but started to think that I can only wear one watch at a time.

After a trip to Material Good in December 2018, I knew I was heading towards a radical change and I ended up buying a rose gold ROC (26022) and have since added the bracelet from AP to make it the equivalent a 25960. In the process I sold three watches and traded one watch. Now I've got four other steel chronographs left and they are on the block. I will hopefully be able to net maybe $15k USD for them. I am trying to decide on what watch would be the best compliment to my rose gold AP. I have a bracelet and brown leather strap. I also have on order a brown rubber strap for the summer months so with this versatility I think the AP will be my everyday watch.

But the AP isn't the greatest for travel since it is only 50m WR and scratches easily. I'm just not a fan of leaving the AP in a hotel room or safe. There also may be destinations where I'd like my watch to be a little under the radar, altough I know that I could dress down a gold watch with a rubber strap. So since travel is the primary reason I wouldn't wear the AP, it doesn't have to be a chronograph, but I'd like a GMT or dual time. I was thinking through the spectrum of some options but just can't make up my mind. It seems like the best watches to buy these days are Rolex/AP/PP but I'm also partial to VC. That's why I'm seeking outside opinions. Here are my thoughts:

1. With the thought of the AP being the everyday watch, just wear my Apple watch or something cheap for travel/wet activities and be done with it. Sell the others because they can't compete with the AP for wrist time. This is the best move financially because even at a loss compared to purchase price, selling eight steel watches covers my one gold watch. And with this option, I don't have a $25k+ watch always on a winder.

2. With the thought of the AP being the everyday watch, but wanting something more than an Apple watch for travel, get a steel Rolex GMT, Rolex SkyDweller (if it fits my 6.5" wrist) or VC Dual Time. They are all in the range of $18-19k (cheaper than a "relationship" with an AD), and I wouldn't feel too bad if it were on the winder 90% of the time.

3. Since I've caught the gold bug, say "screw it" and trade/sell the remaining four towards a yellow gold Rolex GMT. I already have a RG watch and I think Rolex's Everose may be a little pink for my tastes. It would require maybe $8k cash over the value of the remaining watches but would give me a PM Rolex that I could dress down with a RubberB or Everest Band if needed. Since it is PM, it may compete for wrist time compared to a steel watch. I'm definitely leaning towards this option.

4. Since I seem to be climbing the horological ladder, say "screw it" and get a Patek 5164 for travel. I do not have an AD "relationship" worth anything and so I would have to pay a premium (looks like $45k). I'm definitely not sure I want to spend that much on a second watch since I can only wear one at a time. But if chances are that I'll end up there (Patek), it is better to shoot for it now rather than buy cheaper watches and sell at a loss.

So I appreciate anyone who has read through this, and any advice they have. Will probably discuss this heavily at WISCON too! Can't wait.
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:28 AM   #2
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
For travel, water, under the radar, I like:

Blancpain FF
White gold or plat Day-Date
AP Diver
White gold Daytona on OF
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Why not buy a 5 digit Submariner for travel? Perfect for your wrist size and super versatile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:13 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post
Why not buy a 5 digit Submariner for travel? Perfect for your wrist size and super versatile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Well I'd want (of course not need) a GMT over a sub and could obviously do one of the GMTs. The general question is still spend less since it won't get much wrist time or spend more and maybe it will compete for wrist time.
Old 18 April 2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Well I'd want (of course not need) a GMT over a sub and could obviously do one of the GMTs. The general question is still spend less since it won't get much wrist time or spend more and maybe it will compete for wrist time.
So, the more you spend on a watch, the more wrist time it gets? Please don't mention that to my 2 Omega watches.
RG CHNR might be a good choice. I had one and it was awesome but I flipped it for a Skydweller.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:21 AM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
For travel, water, under the radar, I like:

Blancpain FF
White gold or plat Day-Date
AP Diver
White gold Daytona on OF
Since it will be primarily for travel, I am leaning towards a GMT or Dual Time and my current target brands are AP/PP/Rolex/VC. I can't pull off the 42mm AP Diver (why I wear the 39mm ROC). It's also why I'm a little hesitant to go for a SkyDweller unless I get a chance to see one first.
Old 18 April 2019, 11:33 AM   #7
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post
So, the more you spend on a watch, the more wrist time it gets? Please don't mention that to my 2 Omega watches.
RG CHNR might be a good choice. I had one and it was awesome but I flipped it for a Skydweller.
To a point, yes (and I've owned two Speedmasters and a Seamaster so no offense to Omega). But the whole reason I pursued a "grail" watch is that it was (and is) supposed to be the one watch that you've lusted after for a long time. And for an extreme example, I wouldn't have bought a RG AP if I planned on wearing my Apple watch most of the time.

To your second point, the GMT Master and SkyDweller are absolutely under consideration. For size purposes, the GMT Master seems better than the SkyDweller for my 6.5" wrist. I've thought that the TT CHNR is a great piece for what I'm thinking but like many purchases, I've wondered "for just $X more..." I could get all gold which I may want down the road.
Old 18 April 2019, 12:11 PM   #8
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
SkyD wears huge, IMO. It’s an awkward size and can’t decide whether it wants to be dressy or sporty. I almost bought a gold one when they were released, then tried it on and knew it wasn’t for me. I’m a 7.2” wrist, btw.

If you like GMT, then go that route. I’ve owned a bunch of multi timezone watches, and find the complication more distracting than helpful most of the time.

I understand the challenge going back to SS once you’ve bought one (or more) PM watches. I only have one left in the rotation, and it’s strictly for when I want to lay low. ;-)
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
I would do a SS Sky either black or blue, IMO it's the perfect travel watch

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 02:14 PM   #10
brent95m3
"TRF" Member

I have the same 26022 RG AP (which was my grail as well) but with the grey dial. I also have an AP 25860 stainless chronograph of the same size (bought this first and I still love it). With your wrist size I’d suggest a five digit Rolex GMT or sub. While the newer ones feel better in the hand, the most comfortable all day every day travel watch I’ve owned is a five digit sub. The tin can bracelet is lightweight and feels much better than the six digit references for all day wear. The good thing with the Rolex, wear it or don’t. Either way it won’t depreciate so you don’t have to feel bad about leaving it in the drawer.
brent95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:41 PM   #11
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I like option 3, the Rolex YG GMT is a beautiful and versatile watch to wear, I have one myself and it is very good for travel. However, if you don't feel comfortable leaving your AP in a hotel safe, then I don't think you would feel comfortable leaving the YG Rolex in a hotel safe as well. If that is a big concern while traveling, I would suggest you stick to Apple watch for travel. I have AP and Rolex and HAD a PP which was stolen in a hotel in Paris. Since that tragedy, I have only been traveling with Apple watch, if I am going to hotels but if I am going to a holiday home I own or I am renting, then I would take one of the "good" watches with me.

Option 4 is a no go. I wouldn't pay a crazy premium on any watch.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:26 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would have the gold ROC and 5164 as the core of my grail collection. I had the YG GMT but as you have the classier all gold AP that is a bit redundant, I had the RG ROC on a strap at the same time so the all gold Rolex was very different.

I have the 5164 and it is a sublime watch, as good a SS watch as you can have imho, only the 5712 competes with it but the 64 is more functional, and I think in the US the premium is still fairly reasonable, it's worse here in the UK and will get worse everywhere soon, plus we have a price rise coming in June.

Then I would add a Rolex Sub or GMT as a great devil may care daily.

That would be my ideal PP, AP, Rolex trio for you, Steve.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:58 PM   #13
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent95m3 View Post
I have the same 26022 RG AP (which was my grail as well) but with the grey dial. I also have an AP 25860 stainless chronograph of the same size (bought this first and I still love it). With your wrist size I’d suggest a five digit Rolex GMT or sub. While the newer ones feel better in the hand, the most comfortable all day every day travel watch I’ve owned is a five digit sub. The tin can bracelet is lightweight and feels much better than the six digit references for all day wear. The good thing with the Rolex, wear it or don’t. Either way it won’t depreciate so you don’t have to feel bad about leaving it in the drawer.
I started with a 25860 and traded it towards the 26022. Perfect size for me. A Rolex GMT seems to be the leading option. The newer six digits look nice of course, but maybe one with the more vintage look helps it fly under the radar more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
I like option 3, the Rolex YG GMT is a beautiful and versatile watch to wear, I have one myself and it is very good for travel. However, if you don't feel comfortable leaving your AP in a hotel safe, then I don't think you would feel comfortable leaving the YG Rolex in a hotel safe as well. If that is a big concern while traveling, I would suggest you stick to Apple watch for travel. I have AP and Rolex and HAD a PP which was stolen in a hotel in Paris. Since that tragedy, I have only been traveling with Apple watch, if I am going to hotels but if I am going to a holiday home I own or I am renting, then I would take one of the "good" watches with me.

Option 4 is a no go. I wouldn't pay a crazy premium on any watch.
Well I guess I'm not paranoid to think that a watch could be stolen from a hotel safe. One of the primary reasons I was thinking of the GMT because at 100m WR, it could basically stay on my wrist at all times. I wouldn't have to take it off for water or outdoor activities. And depending on my destination, I feel like I could dress it down with a RubberB or Everest strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chary View Post
I would do a SS Sky either black or blue, IMO it's the perfect travel watch
I'm warming up to the looks, but don't know if my wrist can pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would have the gold ROC and 5164 as the core of my grail collection. I had the YG GMT but as you have the classier all gold AP that is a bit redundant, I had the RG ROC on a strap at the same time so the all gold Rolex was very different.

I have the 5164 and it is a sublime watch, as good a SS watch as you can have imho, only the 5712 competes with it but the 64 is more functional, and I think in the US the premium is still fairly reasonable, it's worse here in the UK and will get worse everywhere soon, plus we have a price rise coming in June.

Then I would add a Rolex Sub or GMT as a great devil may care daily.

That would be my ideal PP, AP, Rolex trio for you, Steve.
Part of my "upgrade" was consolidation, so I do need to resist the temptation to replace multiple steel watches with multiple PM/Patek steel (or at least give the appearance). I do think that a RG AP, YG Rolex and steel PP could be an awesome trio.
Old 18 April 2019, 10:02 PM   #14
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Wht about VC World Time Overseas ?
I've wore that a few minutes last month, and I'm just in love since then...
link
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:04 PM   #15
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
50m means it can be used in water. I've done cliff diving, saunas, jacuzzis, all kind of swiming... with my 50m rated 15400. Keep up with servicing every 6-ish years and do atleast one pressure test in between.

With that said, a gold rolex GMT would be a great companion. I have yellow gold sub that have seen plenty of action, they are bulletproof and perfect for active lifestyles.
Old 18 April 2019, 10:18 PM   #16
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
@soly20 i mourn your loss.

OP - you clearly have the capacity to buy another great watch. what does your heart desire? whatever it is this is the watch you must buy.

1. absolutely not. life is short and we are lucky that we get pleasure from these pieces of art you wear on your wrist. indulge the obsession!

2. you don't sound thrilled and if you are spending 19k usd you should be.

3. DO THIS! this is the sweetspot dollar wise. not too much dosh more than option 2 but you actually would be thrilled. a dream come true!! but is YG different enough to RG? (possibly the answer to that is "who cares, they are both something to lust over")

4. BONUS TIME. what you want here is a watch; that is not too showy, that's exciting, but is tough, that offers variety. choices include 116719 (gmt in white gold) or 5164 or 116506 (platona) or 116619LB (smurf). how is the blro in white gold gmt not your ideal watch here? special and different and less bling than a YG watch. what about a 228206? or a 118206 with your wrist. classy and elegant.

if none of this white metal rocks your boat run out and buy a 116718LN or LV and count your lucky stars you have a scratch you can so readily itch.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:35 PM   #17
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:53 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I'd go 5164 but I am quite biased there
Old 19 April 2019, 01:11 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I started with a 25860 and traded it towards the 26022. Perfect size for me. A Rolex GMT seems to be the leading option. The newer six digits look nice of course, but maybe one with the more vintage look helps it fly under the radar more.

Well I guess I'm not paranoid to think that a watch could be stolen from a hotel safe. One of the primary reasons I was thinking of the GMT because at 100m WR, it could basically stay on my wrist at all times. I wouldn't have to take it off for water or outdoor activities. And depending on my destination, I feel like I could dress it down with a RubberB or Everest strap.

I'm warming up to the looks, but don't know if my wrist can pull it off.

Part of my "upgrade" was consolidation, so I do need to resist the temptation to replace multiple steel watches with multiple PM/Patek steel (or at least give the appearance). I do think that a RG AP, YG Rolex and steel PP could be an awesome trio.
If the YG GMT is also viable over the SS GMT then I'm all for that. I chose 4 but 3 and 4 is ideal ofc. If you go for the 5164 TT then I would get the YG Blue Subc with the wonderful sunburst dial, otherwise 5712 and YG GMTc.
Old 19 April 2019, 03:30 AM   #20
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
I like having watches in a couple of tiers. The 5164 sounds perfect to go along with your grail piece, but isn’t it nice to have a Sub/Tudor/Speedy for more daily or low key times?

That’s just me- I like to have some variety.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:07 PM   #21
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I am really leaning towards one of the GMT Master models. I really like the looks of the TT CHNR if I go for the less expensive RG/TT option. But I really like the suggestion and thought of a YG GMT to complement my RG AP. The WG Pepsi is also tempting. Then I could eventually get a steel Patek when prices come down to Earth. A WIS can dream right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 April 2019, 01:30 PM   #22
brent95m3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the advice. I am really leaning towards one of the GMT Master models. I really like the looks of the TT CHNR if I go for the less expensive RG/TT option. But I really like the suggestion and thought of a YG GMT to complement my RG AP. The WG Pepsi is also tempting. Then I could eventually get a steel Patek when prices come down to Earth. A WIS can dream right?

I also agree on the gold GMT. ;)
brent95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:10 PM   #23
a_carkhuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: don't mind if I do
Maybe look into getting a Lange!

a_carkhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 05:51 AM   #24
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Well, just like in life, things don't always go as planned. But one way or the other, things just seem to eventually work out. I went to WISCON and was able to see the SkyDweller in person and I do think it works on my wrist. Same is true with a yelow gold GMT. I was also able to see a 5164 which I absolutely loved. Sadly, the 5164 will just have to wait. But with some unexpected good fortune, there's an incoming next week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2960.jpg (68.8 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2961.jpg (71.1 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2962.jpg (65.8 KB, 433 views)
Old 25 May 2019, 06:04 AM   #25
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I like any option that begins with "screw it".
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 08:07 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well, just like in life, things don't always go as planned. But one way or the other, things just seem to eventually work out. I went to WISCON and was able to see the SkyDweller in person and I do think it works on my wrist. Same is true with a yelow gold GMT. I was also able to see a 5164 which I absolutely loved. Sadly, the 5164 will just have to wait. But with some unexpected good fortune, there's an incoming next week!
Nice score in this climate.
Old 25 May 2019, 08:31 AM   #27
cup8
Banned

I would try the VC line.
cup8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:27 PM   #28
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote: