The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 18 January 2010, 12:55 AM   #1
logan
Banned

1973 1655 orange explorerII

has my 1655 really gone down in value as much as i'm finding? is it due to the market
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my rolex 026.jpg (40.1 KB, 238 views)
Old 18 January 2010, 02:44 AM   #2
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Gone down from what? Does your 1655 come with any accessories?
Old 18 January 2010, 02:56 AM   #3
Renoir
"TRF" Member

I don't think so...why do you think this?
Old 18 January 2010, 03:06 AM   #4
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice example of an Explorer !!!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
Old 18 January 2010, 03:22 AM   #5
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Having the box & paperwork is a good thing if you are selling a watch. As far as market price....it's up to the market. The collectibles marketplace is sometimes an up & down marketplace, not stable.
Old 18 January 2010, 03:27 AM   #6
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Hang on to it until it's not a buyers market!
Old 18 January 2010, 03:39 AM   #7
logan
Banned

im in the housing industry, so you know how business is. always thought my watch watch could bail me out if i needed.I been shopping it around a lil and getting offers between 5,500 and 6,500 considering it s a straight hand pre 1974 when they added the bubble on the second thought it was worth way more, but i dont have the box i bought the watch for my father back in 1986 got it back when he passed without the box
Old 18 January 2010, 03:43 AM   #8
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Are you looking to sell it? If I had a 1655 I would NEVER sell it!!!
Old 18 January 2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Lol-x
Facilitator

Maybe if you are trying to sell it then people aren't prepared to pay a decent price for it because of the risks involved in buying a watch they they cannot properly authenticate and from a seller who does not have a reputation that is to their liking.

Don't try and sell that watch on this forum unless you do so in a proper manner. I personally would not buy it off someone who had only 2 posts on the forum, way too risky.

Of course if you go to a watch trading jeweller, they are going to low ball you to get a tidy profit from it.

I can't even tell myself whether your watch is real from the photo that you have posted.

Anyway if I was you I wouldn't care what others might pay for it, I'd keep the watch myself, especially as it was your fathers.

You are not entitled to expressly or by impliedly offer your watch for sale on this forum. The only place for that is the for sales forum.

As you haven't followed the rules of this forum you will NOT be allowed to sell this watch on this website.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 18 January 2010, 09:13 AM   #10
whiskyguy
"TRF" Member

Values have dropped in the US due to the economy. Prices look worse here than other parts of the world in part to the weakness of the US dollar

That being said the prices you are quoting are WHOLESALE prices not retail.

Good Luck
Old 18 January 2010, 09:40 AM   #11
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
I've always assumed the vintage market to be very stable.

Dwindling value or not, that is one very nice watch!
Old 18 January 2010, 10:16 AM   #12
logan
Banned

hey lol-x back up and read my post i havent tried to sell my 1655 i have been trying to talk to pep who know more about it than me to get an idea if im getting correct info on it s value! as for it being my fathers watch thats none of your business. the economy has hit some of us hard , and in my opinion , and i am not an expert if you cant tell my 1655 is real then you are not one of the people im trying to get advise from .i will be glad to post more pics of my watch if you need more. plz quote the rule that i have broken. yes i only have 2 posts so far but i just found this site today. thanks for the welcome
Old 18 January 2010, 10:22 AM   #13
logan
Banned

to all other members im very sorry for my outburst, you have been so nice and im just looking for good advise. i ve only owned 2 rolex 's 1 gmt and my 1655 i have the serial #s for my watch, i sent it to rolex to be cleaned when my father died the watch has been in my family for 24 years i know its original
Old 18 January 2010, 10:37 AM   #14
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
hey lol-x back up and read my post i havent tried to sell my 1655 i have been trying to talk to pep who know more about it than me to get an idea if im getting correct info on it s value! as for it being my fathers watch thats none of your business. the economy has hit some of us hard , and in my opinion , and i am not an expert if you cant tell my 1655 is real then you are not one of the people im trying to get advise from .i will be glad to post more pics of my watch if you need more. plz quote the rule that i have broken. yes i only have 2 posts so far but i just found this site today. thanks for the welcome
With comments like that you're only asking for trouble.
Old 18 January 2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
to all other members im very sorry for my outburst, you have been so nice and im just looking for good advise. i ve only owned 2 rolex 's 1 gmt and my 1655 i have the serial #s for my watch, i sent it to rolex to be cleaned when my father died the watch has been in my family for 24 years i know its original
Logan... I hope that things go well for you... You have just dodged a bullet with this simple paragraph because I was about to ban you from any further posts at all.... (and I am willing to disregard the implied wording)

You need to be careful of who you jump to conclusions about.. Lol-x has just spent the better part of a year researching these rare and valuable Explorer II models and managed to purchase a fine example for his own impressive collection of Rolex watches.. Your's is not a prime example and your photos are not up to standard..

He is more than capable of determining the value of your watch in todays market given the facts, quality pictures and it's history..

TRF has a lot to offer the Rolex enthusiast
Old 18 January 2010, 11:12 AM   #16
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Sorry guys.

I don't buy any of his crap and the attitude to Steve is the final straw for me.
Old 18 January 2010, 12:57 PM   #17
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
I been shopping it around a lil and getting offers between 5,500 and 6,500 considering it s a straight hand pre 1974 when they added the bubble on the second thought it was worth way more, but i dont have the box i bought the watch for my father back in 1986 got it back when he passed without the box
The clear inference from this statement is that you are in the market to sell that watch, and as such it is an unequivocal implied offer to sell.

The rules do not permit this. Also I do not believe you are genuine.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 18 January 2010, 01:03 PM   #18
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
hey lol-x back up and read my post ..... as for it being my fathers watch thats none of your business.
If that is so, then you shouldn't have gone into detail about the watch being your fathers, I did nothing more than comment on material that you yourself disclosed.

Relax on a tranc in the jugular

Closed Thread