The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2024, 10:42 PM   #1
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Omega never fails to disappoint. That should be the new slogan. I do not know what is happening with them but they remind me of Panerai back in the day. Great customer support and a cult like following. Based on some significant corporate decisions they alienated the customer base and so many people moved away, never to return. I am a huge fan but even I have to take pause and acknowledge something is wrong. What I hear from my fellow enthusiasts of late is excuses. You don't need to explain, if it works, or it is right. Probably more the Swatch Group but so many missed opportunities. The fiasco of the Moonswatch. Let's grab as much cash as we can and diminish the overall Omega brand in the process. Can Omega do anything other than a Speedmaster or Seamaster that is commercially successful? I have hope, but with each misstep it is hard not to acknowledge the challenges ahead. As far as this new DSOTM it is a 14k cash grab for a watch they already did that almost no one bought, except me and a few others. Many say it is cool but few will buy one. Just introduce the white dial Speedmaster and go on with it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 03:47 AM   #2
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Omega never fails to disappoint. That should be the new slogan. I do not know what is happening with them but they remind me of Panerai back in the day. Great customer support and a cult like following. Based on some significant corporate decisions they alienated the customer base and so many people moved away, never to return. I am a huge fan but even I have to take pause and acknowledge something is wrong. What I hear from my fellow enthusiasts of late is excuses. You don't need to explain, if it works, or it is right. Probably more the Swatch Group but so many missed opportunities. The fiasco of the Moonswatch. Let's grab as much cash as we can and diminish the overall Omega brand in the process. Can Omega do anything other than a Speedmaster or Seamaster that is commercially successful? I have hope, but with each misstep it is hard not to acknowledge the challenges ahead. As far as this new DSOTM it is a 14k cash grab for a watch they already did that almost no one bought, except me and a few others. Many say it is cool but few will buy one. Just introduce the white dial Speedmaster and go on with it.

I can not agree more. Flash a white dial and deliver a dark side with 44mm size and upticked price.. a complete let down.

On the other hand, I can take this white dial fund and go buy a few great classic Panerai(s) to enjoy
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 05:21 AM   #3
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have been reviewing the detailed pics which are coming out of the new DSOTM and I believe I may have been excessively harsh in my judgement and critique of Omega.

The details on the dial and the Saturn V are outstanding and even though I have handled the first DSOTM. It hadn't occurred to me to look beyond the Ceramic case and everything else about it to observe the craftmanship.
To that, perhaps the new one is completely revised from the previous version and they've ratcheted up their workmanship to justify the price increase?
Who knows.
Maybe the detail on the dial is a faithful reproduction of the actual lunar surface. The detail of the Saturn V rocket alone is commendable

That's what happens when one sleeps on it.
One often wakes up to view things with a fresh set of eyes.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 07:51 AM   #4
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I have been reviewing the detailed pics which are coming out of the new DSOTM and I believe I may have been excessively harsh in my judgement and critique of Omega.

The details on the dial and the Saturn V are outstanding and even though I have handled the first DSOTM. It hadn't occurred to me to look beyond the Ceramic case and everything else about it to observe the craftmanship.
To that, perhaps the new one is completely revised from the previous version and they've ratcheted up their workmanship to justify the price increase?
Who knows.
Maybe the detail on the dial is a faithful reproduction of the actual lunar surface. The detail of the Saturn V rocket alone is commendable

When I looked closer at the 'lunar surface' I also found it quite enviable. It is way nicer, at least in big pictures. Not sure my eye can appreciate the difference on my wrist however. Will have to reserve final judgement for when I can try one on.
Old 19 January 2024, 07:19 AM   #5
Cr_Zeek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post

Who knows.

I didn't think much of this watch until I saw the high res pictures on a 4K display and read about the details.

Apparently the front of watch matches the side of the moon we see and the back side matches the dark side which Apollo 8 crew saw for the first time.

The Saturn rocket, newer movement and also thinner than its predecessor all count for signicant upgrades.

I think Omega has put a lot of work into this. Not sure if its 3K worth but I think one needs to hold IRL to be able to appreciate it.

I may actually be very interested in it. Its not a daily watch IMHO but its an intriguing watch especially in the over saturated moonwatch, seamaster, submariner, GMT II crowd.
Cr_Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote