The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 4 October 2020, 10:42 PM   #31
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
As a Seiko fan, I want to coherently understand their watch lineups. But holy cow do they make it difficult. When I get the itch for another Seiko, figuring out the model I like best feels like homework now, not fun.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 09:37 AM   #32
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFatboy99 View Post
Lol...is it worth it?
Compared to other seikos? Who knows. The better question is given what you get for the 1500 bucks, are other dive watches (ie submariner, seamaster, etc) “worth it”. I own a submariner, but at how much ever they are selling for now is not massively better than my seiko turtle. Similar bracelet to my 16610, both have aluminum inserts, I mean my sub is +2/3 per day and my turtle +11/13 per day. Both have dates and both can take punishment.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 02:34 AM   #33
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
New SBDX041, SPB183 and SLA043

It sounds like my own analysis is similar to William’s outlined above.

Do I like the SLA037? Yep. Love it on the wrist and the dial is crazy beautiful. Is it a higher-quality watch compared to the SPB149 - the price would seem to define the answer as a definite yes - and is any delta in quality worth the $5k premium between the two?

The movement of the 037 is better, the finishing on the dial, markers, hands, case, and rehaut is stunning, the crystal is beautiful, and the strap on the 037 is unquestionably (in my mind) of a higher quality than that found on the 149.

Plus, the 149 has the X logo, which I don’t hate but could do without.

I’m still undecided on what I think of all of this and just kicking these questions around.

I’m also comparing my SLA033 Willard reissue with other turtles I’ve owned. That one I’m a bit more firm on.

Is the finishing on the 033 8x better than any ~$500 turtle I’ve ever owned, or 4x better than the SPB151/153 prospex Willard reissues?

While the answer is subjective and others will surely disagree with my view, to me, yes, I know I like the 033 at least 8x as much as any other 4R turtle I’ve owned. I have the SPB153 Willard too, which I like a lot, and owned the 151, which is now gone.

For me, the value proposition on the 033 (which I describe as happiness per $ spent) is there. I like it a lot, really enjoy rocking it.

Bottom line, I dove headlong into Seiko recently and I’ve been buying up SPBx and SLAx nearly as fast as the insane pace with which they’ve been issuing them.

I’m picking up the SPB183 Willard reissue (which I already know I will like, based on experiences with the other two) when it arrives sometime in November/early December.

My AD’s (allegedly) going to bring in the SLA043 for me to see before the end of the year, but I’m not committed to it. I tend to prefer dive watches with fewer polished surfaces, so the lack of Zaratsu on the 043 may be to my liking.

In any case, seeing 043 may help me decide whether SLA037 is a keeper or not, and whether to continue spending on expensive Seikos at all.

After that, I’ll likely cool my jets on Seiko for awhile while I contemplate these issues and see what they do next.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 04:22 AM   #34
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I like them both! But this LE strategy makes no sense to me either.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 04:44 AM   #35
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
My mistake. Oystersteel is 904L.
Seiko says Ever-Brilliant Steel has a pitting resistance equivalent number (PREN) of 1.7 times 316L steel. With 316L steel having a PREN of around 25, Ever-Brilliant Steel should surpass 40. 904L according to the below link has a PREN of around 34~35, so in theory whatever this brilliant steel is, could be even higher grade than 904L.

https://www.imoa.info/molybdenum-use...eel-grades.php
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 01:00 PM   #36
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I got 183 on order. Thinking about the other model...

Look, the LE model works because it does. Scarcity is proxy for "want" in many markets, including watches. Look at what people do for Snoopy Speedies or Daytonas.

However, for any model over $4K Seiko has to try harder. Omega Seamaster Diver 300M comes with a screaming movement, good specs and can be on your wrist brand new for under $4K (on a strap). I just don't feel like shelling out $4K for a Seiko that is, frankly, underspec'ed. Even SLA033 is pushing it the current mkt price.
Old 13 July 2021, 09:16 AM   #37
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
It sounds like my own analysis is similar to William’s outlined above.

Do I like the SLA037? Yep. Love it on the wrist and the dial is crazy beautiful. Is it a higher-quality watch compared to the SPB149 - the price would seem to define the answer as a definite yes - and is any delta in quality worth the $5k premium between the two?

The movement of the 037 is better, the finishing on the dial, markers, hands, case, and rehaut is stunning, the crystal is beautiful, and the strap on the 037 is unquestionably (in my mind) of a higher quality than that found on the 149.

Plus, the 149 has the X logo, which I don’t hate but could do without.

I’m still undecided on what I think of all of this and just kicking these questions around.

I’m also comparing my SLA033 Willard reissue with other turtles I’ve owned. That one I’m a bit more firm on.

Is the finishing on the 033 8x better than any ~$500 turtle I’ve ever owned, or 4x better than the SPB151/153 prospex Willard reissues?

While the answer is subjective and others will surely disagree with my view, to me, yes, I know I like the 033 at least 8x as much as any other 4R turtle I’ve owned. I have the SPB153 Willard too, which I like a lot, and owned the 151, which is now gone.

For me, the value proposition on the 033 (which I describe as happiness per $ spent) is there. I like it a lot, really enjoy rocking it.

Bottom line, I dove headlong into Seiko recently and I’ve been buying up SPBx and SLAx nearly as fast as the insane pace with which they’ve been issuing them.

I’m picking up the SPB183 Willard reissue (which I already know I will like, based on experiences with the other two) when it arrives sometime in November/early December.

My AD’s (allegedly) going to bring in the SLA043 for me to see before the end of the year, but I’m not committed to it. I tend to prefer dive watches with fewer polished surfaces, so the lack of Zaratsu on the 043 may be to my liking.

In any case, seeing 043 may help me decide whether SLA037 is a keeper or not, and whether to continue spending on expensive Seikos at all.

After that, I’ll likely cool my jets on Seiko for awhile while I contemplate these issues and see what they do next.

So how did this wind up for you after you got the 043?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 11:05 PM   #38
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
So how did this wind up for you after you got the 043?

Well, I ended up passing on the SLA043. I’ve done so a number of times lately. I like the dial, the brushed finishing, and the blue seconds hand a lot tho.

I am enjoying the Seikos I have just fine but I’ve cooled on buying more SLA models for now. I wear my SLA033 and 039 a ton. The 037 mostly gathers dust these days, but I still have it.

I sold the SPB183 Willard, SPB143, and SPB149. Fine watches, but rather redundant in my collection with the divers I have.
Old 20 July 2021, 01:50 AM   #39
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I ended up passing on the SLA043. I’ve done so a number of times lately. I like the dial, the brushed finishing, and the blue seconds hand a lot tho.

I am enjoying the Seikos I have just fine but I’ve cooled on buying more SLA models for now. I wear my SLA033 and 039 a ton. The 037 mostly gathers dust these days, but I still have it.

I sold the SPB183 Willard, SPB143, and SPB149. Fine watches, but rather redundant in my collection with the divers I have.

Understandable! I sold my 037 and now have the 043. Tough call between them. But I also understand maybe having neither. Go back and forth.

Old 20 July 2021, 10:59 PM   #40
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Understandable! I sold my 037 and now have the 043. Tough call between them. But I also understand maybe having neither. Go back and forth.

Yes indeed…I’ve considered grabbing a GO SeaQ in reed green or blue to fill the skin diver category for me and ditching these Seikos entirely.

I haven’t had any luck selling the 037, so I may just leave it in the watch box and see if I warm back up to it, and have both.

Undecided on that one, but I’m definitely not picking up a 043 at the moment.
Old 20 July 2021, 11:07 PM   #41
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes indeed…I’ve considered grabbing a GO SeaQ in reed green or blue to fill the skin diver category for me and ditching these Seikos entirely.

I haven’t had any luck selling the 037, so I may just leave it in the watch box and see if I warm back up to it, and have both.

Undecided on that one, but I’m definitely not picking up a 043 at the moment.
It's so funny you say that! I've been in the exact same thought process. To me the SeaQ has the similar case shape dimensions but possibly a better sunburst blue dial and of course a strong bracelet. I also love the arabic numerals. The only challenge I have there is I've always been a Seiko fan boy, so I'd have to overcome that for this. Keep me posted on how you go!
Old 28 June 2023, 08:36 AM   #42
MBornia
"TRF" Member

Great to find this forum, I am on this exact debate of 037 vs 043, and cannot make up my mind.
MBornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 08:58 AM   #43
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
I voted with my wallet as they say with no looking back and no regrets

rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 09:19 PM   #44
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.