The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2021, 06:00 AM   #1
Chris
"TRF" Member

Guidance on breitling b1 A78362

Hi im making an enquiry for a friend he is new to the addi tion, and has found a b1 A78362 from 2004. Im a rolex man myself, so im looking how to best to advise him it comes from a dealer with b&p price is £1595 ( approx $2200). Is this a good buy what should he look for when he sees it in the flesh. Sorry no pics at present.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 09:04 AM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Hi im making an enquiry for a friend he is new to the addi tion, and has found a b1 A78362 from 2004. Im a rolex man myself, so im looking how to best to advise him it comes from a dealer with b&p price is £1595 ( approx $2200). Is this a good buy what should he look for when he sees it in the flesh. Sorry no pics at present.

Without seeing the watch to assess authenticity and condition, any comment is heavily qualified. That said, £1600 for a watch on a bracelet from a dealer with boxes and papers is reasonable.

When viewing the watch, your friend should get very hands on with all of the digital functions through the pushers and crown. These movements can glitch and fail, and the module or movement replacement is an additional cost on top of a service, so quite expensive. He should also rotate the bezel to ensure it has a good weight - not too hard or easy to turn - and ensure the bracelet is sound and the clasp secure. Finally, he will need to determine that the boxes and papers are genuine, as sadly there are many fakes on the market that sellers (could be previous to the dealer) buy on eBay to increase perceived value.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 06:40 PM   #3
Chris
"TRF" Member

Thanks for comments i have some pics to post is this model the super quartz? What is the end year for the calender? How reliable is the movement? Where should you look for identifying serial and ref numbers on the watch? TIA

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 22 July 2021, 08:46 PM   #4
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thanks for comments i have some pics to post is this model the super quartz? What is the end year for the calender? How reliable is the movement? Where should you look for identifying serial and ref numbers on the watch?
The photos are not very high resolution I'm afraid, so I really can’t really make much of an assessment on the condition.

The dial nomenclature and the reference (if correct) both confirm it is a Superquartz.

I don’t know what year the calendar runs out, but that is a question you could send to Breitling through their website.

I had one and the module failed, but I know others have had no problems with theirs. Reliability is a matter of statistical analysis, and I don’t have the data to back up any claim I would make. Therefore, I won't make a claim, but just say that my experience put me off high-end quartz watches forever. I still think it is the best looking of those ever made by Breitling, and I suspect many others would be very happy with theirs.

You have already quoted the reference number, but to confirm you will find that and the serial number on the case back.
Old 22 July 2021, 08:51 PM   #5
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Here's a much better set of images.

Old 22 July 2021, 09:05 PM   #6
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Guidance on breitling b1 A78362

Based on the pictures on the website, I would grade it as very good to excellent using the well established Timezone Grading System.

https://www.timezone.com/2002/11/16/...d-definitions/

The papers look alright, but I would be ensuring that all numbers correspond. The box might be a replacement, but I am not 100% sure.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:09 PM   #7
Chris
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for your input i will pass your comments on

Old 22 July 2021, 11:16 PM   #8
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I am not a grading expert, but I think the suggested price is very reasonable assuming the watch functions properly. Older Breitling superquartz/analog watches are enjoying some renewed popularity recently. Many can be had for ~$2,000, possess a ton of functionality, and occupy the niche of an interesting retro design.

I imagine the B-1 has similar functions as the Aerospace. I'd just make sure the watch functions properly and the correct battery is being used. Sometimes incorrectly sized batteries which function properly initially can place pressure on the liquid crystal digital display inside the case and cause damage over time. Probably the most common issue with these when serviced.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 08:12 AM   #9
Chris
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your input i shared your comments, and he has decided to look for watch which doesn't have the digital complication. Thanks again.