The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2019, 12:51 AM   #1
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Regulating a watch at RSC

Just curious, if I wanted to have my GMT regulated at the RSC in NYC, how long would a watch typically need to be left there for that service?

Thanks in advance!
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 01:09 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
Just curious, if I wanted to have my GMT regulated at the RSC in NYC, how long would a watch typically need to be left there for that service?

Thanks in advance!
Well in the real world regulation is the most task that any watchmaker performs takes around 30-40 minutes.But if done by the RSC depending on there work load expect 3-4 weeks before watch is returned.By how much is your watch out of spec is just a few seconds or is it more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 01:22 AM   #3
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Not NYC mind you, but my 126710BLRO took approx 5 weeks to get regulated at the Toronto RSC. Their service standard for an adjustment is 6 weeks with a full movement service at 8 weeks.
Old 26 August 2019, 02:12 AM   #4
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

My most recent movement service at Dallas RSC took 4 weeks door to door.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 02:15 AM   #5
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
What is the deviation? If a few seconds, is regulation worth being without your watch for several weeks?
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 02:31 AM   #6
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm tracking it now, and I'm somewhere between -1.7 to -2sec a day. If it goes over -2, then I will think about getting it serviced. But I am going on a trip in Oct, and would like to have this watch with me, which is why I'm wondering how long the service will take.

I know -2sec is probably insignificant, but personally, I don't like my watches running slower. In fact, my SD4K is about +3.6 per day, and I have no plans to have that regulated. I would take +4 over -2 any day.
Old 26 August 2019, 02:50 AM   #7
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm tracking it now, and I'm somewhere between -1.7 to -2sec a day. If it goes over -2, then I will think about getting it serviced. But I am going on a trip in Oct, and would like to have this watch with me, which is why I'm wondering how long the service will take.

I know -2sec is probably insignificant, but personally, I don't like my watches running slower. In fact, my SD4K is about +3.6 per day, and I have no plans to have that regulated. I would take +4 over -2 any day.

Yeah I wouldn't touch it given the small deviation but you gotta do what you gotta do. Be aware any time the case is opened other issues can be introduced.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:13 AM   #8
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Be aware any time the case is opened other issues can be introduced.
Very, very true.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:01 AM   #9
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

The San Francisco RSC (RIP, although they're still there independently) took two weeks with my GMT under warranty. It doesn't take long to actually do the regulation, but the RSC keeps it for a minimum period to track the ongoing accuracy before they'll sign off on it.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 11:49 AM   #10
RS89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
The San Francisco RSC (RIP, although they're still there independently) took two weeks with my GMT under warranty. It doesn't take long to actually do the regulation, but the RSC keeps it for a minimum period to track the ongoing accuracy before they'll sign off on it.
Is the SF RSC you're referring to the one inside Kern's in Burlingame?
RS89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 06:38 AM   #11
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Avoid unnecessary opening of your watch case. Issues will arise which will essentially bother you more than few seconds off. Just FYI, my Sub is more accurate on my wrist than on a watch winder...
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 07:19 AM   #12
2-reef
"TRF" Member

Toronto RSC will allow you to wait for the regulation, I called and they said I could wait. Ran into an issue as I was not the original owner, so they had to keep it and it took them maybe 2 weeks not more.
2-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 07:38 AM   #13
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Your watch is fine and VERY accurate. Wear it in good health and enjoy it.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 07:43 AM   #14
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Don’t worry about the -2 SPD, that’s keeping great time.
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 12:57 PM   #15
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Just an update...I tracked my watch a little more over the weekend. When I wore it continuously all day, which included a decent amount of spirited piano playing, I got a loss of -3.9sec/day. While resting it overnight, it got a deviation of 0 sec. So it seems like the more active I am, the more time it loses. If I rest it with the dial perfectly up, then I can make up a little bit of time with it.

I am still debating if I should get it serviced because I am not sure completely comfortable losing almost 4 sec/day by wearing it.
Old 29 August 2019, 04:48 AM   #16
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

After a few more days, I can definitely conclude that it is now losing about 4 sec/day with solid wear during the day. If I put it dial up overnight, I can stop the slowing down of it where it has no loss at all. When I first got the watch, I would lose about 1 sec/day, with a gain of 1-1.5sec when resting overnight. So it seem that it has lost the ability to gain any seconds back now, and running slower than before.

How many feel this is now worth having regulated? I just don't want it to get to the point of where it's losing 5-10 sec/day.
Old 30 August 2019, 02:04 PM   #17
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

How many feel this is now worth having regulated? I just don't want it to get to the point of where it's losing 5-10 sec/day.

It is not worth regulating due to a 4 second per day loss. All that loss means is you’re off a minute every fortnight.

A watch’s accuracy won’t decay rapidly - it is affected by several factors. But the geartrain and free-spring balance is going the percolate consistently until something inside requires a service.

Quick question - when you rested the watch overnight, was it laid flat with the dial facing up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 05:33 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Just an update...I tracked my watch a little more over the weekend. When I wore it continuously all day, which included a decent amount of spirited piano playing, I got a loss of -3.9sec/day. While resting it overnight, it got a deviation of 0 sec. So it seems like the more active I am, the more time it loses. If I rest it with the dial perfectly up, then I can make up a little bit of time with it.

I am still debating if I should get it serviced because I am not sure completely comfortable losing almost 4 sec/day by wearing it.
Take my advice get rid of that tracking app before you get the deadly constant checking time syndrome, which looks like its already taken the enjoyment of wearing your Rolex watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:24 AM   #19
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Gaining seconds I can handle, but losing more than a couple is annoying. -5/day would be my absolute limit with any watch, but a Rolex under warranty, should be running slightly on the positive side. Only you can really determine what is a bigger bother; the loss of the seconds versus being without your watch for a few weeks.
Old 29 August 2019, 07:51 AM   #20
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Regulating a watch at RSC

Losing time is annoying. My smurf was losing 4 seconds per day. I took it to my AD who is also a Rolex watchmaker. Took him about 10 minutes while I waited and it now runs +0.3 seconds per day. Perfect in my opinion.

s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 08:24 AM   #21
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
Losing time is annoying. My smurf was losing 4 seconds per day. I took it to my AD who is also a Rolex watchmaker. Took him about 10 minutes while I waited and it now runs +0.3 seconds per day. Perfect in my opinion.

This is probably the best way to deal with it.

As long as it is consistent, let the watchmaker know what results you are seeing on wrist. On wrist is really the only performance that matters. If you are using a watch winder or just letting it sit for extended periods, your results will be skewed. In a resting position, face up or down will run the fastest. Crown up or crown down should run slower.

FYI, my DJ41 runs a little faster in the dial down position. I would try that before regulating. You could possibly gain a little more with the dial down to get into a sweet spot.

If not, have an AD watchmaker, or independent watchmaker tweak it a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 02:33 PM   #22
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is the SF RSC you're referring to the one inside Kern's in Burlingame?
There's a rather small list of official Rolex service centers. I think North America is now down to LA, Dallas, New York, Toronto, and Mexico City? There used to be one in downtown SF in the Shreve Building, a famous watchmaker building -- they're still there (and excellent) but no longer an official service center.

Kern's is definitely not an RSC, presumably just an authorized dealer with an on-site watchmaker.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 06:31 PM   #23
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Opening a watch is risky. Never do it unless it is necessary.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 03:34 AM   #24
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. Yep, I have been laying the watch flat at night with dial up. I have found that any slow deviation from this will also make the watch run slow. If the dial is not perfectly straight up in the air, it loses time. Previously, I could gain about 1 sec a day with it face up, but not anymore.