The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 June 2019, 04:37 AM   #1
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I used to recommend Rolex to everyone. Now I can't.

Don't worry. Not a whining thread about me not being able to get a watch. I whine to my wife about that.

A lot of friends know I love watches and they often ask me for recommendations. These are your average people who knows nothing about watches and want to treat themselves for one reason or another.

My default answer would always be, "get a Rolex". Very easy answer for many reasons.

With the situation as ridiculous as it's gotten, people can't go buy a steel submariner anymore. I can't even tell them to get a Datejust anymore. Was wearing my DJ41 at an AD over the weekend and he said walk in customers can't even get steel DJs anymore. I don't even remember the last time I saw a steel DJ sitting in the case.

Now I've defaulted to Omega. Don't get me wrong, I love Omega, but it's no no longer an easy question to answer.

Things have to get better at some point. I don't think it will be any time soon and I'm not sure we will ever go back to the days when most ADs would have five subs and five GMTs in stock at all times, but right now the brand is closed off to people looking to enter. Rolex may be selling every steel watch they can make, but I don't think this is a good strategy long term.
Old 13 June 2019, 04:38 AM   #2
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

Every day has this thread or some variation
Old 13 June 2019, 04:44 AM   #3
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Ben Bridge in Seattle had 4 DJ 41 SS in the case as of Monday. I was staying in a hotel next door all weekend. They had 4 DJ 41 in SS on Saturday and the same watches were sitting there when I left Monday.

But my local NorCal AD says they won't have a DJ 41 again until November. So there seems to be a lot of info out there to be taken with salt.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 04:45 AM   #4
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
So it's YOUR fault that this hype has gotten out of hand!
Old 13 June 2019, 04:47 AM   #5
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Last time I recommended my sister to give her husband a 50th Sea Dweller for his big 50th birthday and of course I couldn't help locate one for him even I have good connection with the AD, my AD told me I was very lucky to get one as they only received a few a year. AD got lots more DJ but much less SS sport.

Omega is way too cool but I'll not spill the bean so let these Rolex investors stay right here :)
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 04:47 AM   #6
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I never have and never would recommend Rolex to anyone. They are ridiculously expensive jewelry for the rich, and why would I possibly recommend it when you can buy a perfectly good Seiko for $200. It's silliness that has gotten even more silly over the past year.

Now, I've had plenty of Rolexes and still have my Daytona, but my last purchase was an Omega as well. Largely because I could actually go to a store and try it on, negotiate, and buy it. And yes, I'm very aware that it will not hold its value like a Rolex.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 04:50 AM   #7
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonvr6 View Post
Every day has this thread or some variation
Yes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2019, 04:53 AM   #8
ALF61
"TRF" Member

They don´t need our recommendation !!

There is rocket boosted demand without it.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 04:54 AM   #9
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Don't worry. Not a whining thread about me not being able to get a watch. I whine to my wife about that.

A lot of friends know I love watches and they often ask me for recommendations. These are your average people who knows nothing about watches and want to treat themselves for one reason or another.

My default answer would always be, "get a Rolex". Very easy answer for many reasons.

With the situation as ridiculous as it's gotten, people can't go buy a steel submariner anymore. I can't even tell them to get a Datejust anymore. Was wearing my DJ41 at an AD over the weekend and he said walk in customers can't even get steel DJs anymore. I don't even remember the last time I saw a steel DJ sitting in the case.

Now I've defaulted to Omega. Don't get me wrong, I love Omega, but it's no no longer an easy question to answer.

Things have to get better at some point. I don't think it will be any time soon and I'm not sure we will ever go back to the days when most ADs would have five subs and five GMTs in stock at all times, but right now the brand is closed off to people looking to enter. Rolex may be selling every steel watch they can make, but I don't think this is a good strategy long term.
I agree and feel the same way. Rolex may love the position they are in but in the long run this can’t be a good strategy. Look at their social media posts, everyone’s comments are about how you can’t buy the watch being advertised..it’s almost comical.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:01 AM   #10
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I never have and never would recommend Rolex to anyone. They are ridiculously expensive jewelry for the rich, and why would I possibly recommend it when you can buy a perfectly good Seiko for $200. It's silliness that has gotten even more silly over the past year.

Now, I've had plenty of Rolexes and still have my Daytona, but my last purchase was an Omega as well. Largely because I could actually go to a store and try it on, negotiate, and buy it. And yes, I'm very aware that it will not hold its value like a Rolex.
These are people who are looking for a luxury watch basically so they can wrap an expensive thing around their wrist.

Unfortunately Rolex is the only answer for them. I just feel better knowing they are getting a good product as well.
Old 13 June 2019, 05:20 AM   #11
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Haven't visited an AD without a steel DJ41 in the case. Maybe I have not visited enough AD's!

Finding the dial color of your choice, a bit harder to find but the ADs are more than happy to place an order for what you want.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:25 AM   #12
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
The fact that Rolex has no stock for you to recommend tells you it really doesn't need recommending.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:33 AM   #13
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Yes, but I do see some advantage to that. I mean there are so many great watches out there like GS, JLC, VC, Blancpain 50 fathoms, Tudor, IWC Portuguese, navitimers, vintage or even great deals on slightly older Rolex models like some of the 5 digit references (Exp II and Subs). I know this is a rolex forum and I have always had at least 2 in my stable at all times, but have always valued versatility.

My recommendation for anyone getting into watches is not a rolex, but a speedy pro. More accessible price point, fantastic strap options, hand wound, and history as well.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:34 AM   #14
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Yes, but I do see some advantage to that. I mean there are so many great watches out there like GS, JLC, VC, Blancpain 50 fathoms, Tudor, IWC Portuguese, navitimers, vintage or even great deals on slightly older Rolex models like some of the 5 digit references (Exp II and Subs). I know this is a rolex forum and I have always had at least 2 in my stable at all times, but have always valued versatility.

My recommendation for anyone getting into watches is not a rolex, but a speedy pro. More accessible price point, fantastic strap options, hand wound, and history as well.
I used to recommend Speedmasters, but often got this response:

"what do you mean, I have to wind it?"
Old 13 June 2019, 05:35 AM   #15
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
I used to recommend Speedmasters, but often go this response:

That’s awesome. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:37 AM   #16
BenzBen
"TRF" Member

I saw a fair number of steel DJs in Las Vegas (Crystals and Wynn).

BenzBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:03 AM   #17
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
As a result, the 5 most recent watches from me have been Omega, AP, GS, Omega, and Tudor and my collection has never been better!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:10 AM   #18
RightYouAreKen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
Ben Bridge in Seattle had 4 DJ 41 SS in the case as of Monday. I was staying in a hotel next door all weekend. They had 4 DJ 41 in SS on Saturday and the same watches were sitting there when I left Monday.

But my local NorCal AD says they won't have a DJ 41 again until November. So there seems to be a lot of info out there to be taken with salt.
Interesting. That's where I was able to score my Sub No Date Feb of 2018 as a walk in. The day I was there they had a Hulk someone was buying as well.
RightYouAreKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:39 AM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

There are some great deals on non-hot previous models of Rolex. Older DJ36 and DD36 can be had for very reasonable money. Have helped a variety of friends over the past decades get both new and vintage pieces. Not everyone wants, or even cares about, the flavor of the season watch. Classic YG DD36 for $14k, whereas new models are 2x the price.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:41 AM   #20
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
I recommend a trusted seller to them
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:47 AM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
What would be a good long term strategy at this point? Since Rolex does not release any sales/production data, we do not know enough hard facts to advise them of anything. Give us all the information and we can suggest from there.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:10 AM   #22
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:

But it’s allergic to water which puts me off, I’m clumsy and absolutely guaranteed to jump in a pool and swamp it!

Looked so many times but the Water Resistance issue bothers me.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:11 AM   #23
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Crazy if even DJ are oos
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:46 AM   #24
greengold
Banned

Quote:

The new Seamaster is a great piece much closer to the Submariner now. Before people used to compare them and it was a joke but now I would consider having it for sure
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:40 AM   #25
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
So you won’t recommend the brand because of the difficulty in finding SS models? Hardly a compelling or persuasive reason not to do so.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:42 AM   #26
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Crazy if even DJ are oos
They're not.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 11:12 AM   #27
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
i could recommend a Rolex to my friends, but most or all of them would not listen anyway.

They think it is nuts to spend ~10K for a watch to tell time when a watch like a Casio at a fraction of the price will suffice or perform even better.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 11:23 AM   #28
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
They're not.
They are in many of the dealers in NYC and surrounding areas.

Obviously not to the extent of sports models, but it's wasteland here.

The only steel model a tourneau in NY had recently was a used yacht master
Old 13 June 2019, 11:27 AM   #29
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Rolex stores and a.d.’s only sell to greys.
We then buy from greys.
Easy to buy Rolex, just the price has increased dramatically in the last few years.
(When you “get the call” from an a.d., it means they don’t have a grey to sell to at the moment.).
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 12:09 PM   #30
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:

Not with the Co-Axial models with the 9300 movement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedy-04.3.jpg (168.7 KB, 1251 views)