The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 June 2020, 04:23 PM   #61
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Short answer no and would expect and hope they never will a mechanical watch has something a computer so called watch can never have..
Perfectly said! And that's the same reason I don't care for Seiko's computerized Spring Drive watches.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 05:01 PM   #62
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Perfectly said! And that's the same reason I don't care for Seiko's computerized Spring Drive watches.
'Computerized' is a bit strong - SD is a mechanical movement with an electronic regulator.
Mech, quartz, hybrid... it's all good.
Old 5 June 2020, 05:29 PM   #63
juliet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Lot of people on here are answering a question that wasn't asked.

I get that most don't want Rolex to make a smartwatch, but if it appeared on their website tomorrow I imagine it would sell just fine.
juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 06:16 PM   #64
morglaw
Banned

I would be very curious to see that Rolex would create, but yes, for the collection I think it's worth to buy
morglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 06:46 PM   #65
Jakey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & SS Daytona
So we are confident Rolex wont fall into the same trap as Kodak by failing to keep up with technology?maybe not in this generation but I think a time will come when mechanical watches will become museum artefacts. I only wear my Apple watch and have done for the last 8 years despite buying new watches. My new watches simply sit in the box for the purpose of admiration and enjoyment of the brand.
Old 5 June 2020, 06:55 PM   #66
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
How about a Rolex badged FitBit?

I joke..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 06:56 PM   #67
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Icon8

Goes against the whole SWISS MADE thing just a little don't you think? Throw away constantly outdated unserviceable crap. No I wouldn't buy one. I haven't bought one yet and if I had to have one I wouldn't buy one if Rolex put their name to it. I wear a 16710 for God's sake. A 16710!
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 07:30 PM   #68
Jimmy 1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665/16610/114060
It'd be redundant within 3 years as technology advances so quickly and the battery doesn't hold an effective change, ending up no more than an annoying thing in the kitchen drawer of randomness!
My 1665 is 39 this year, that longevity is not going to happen with a smart watch, even if it is beautifully crafted by Rolex.
Saying that, someone will certainly buy that build and smart model just because it wears the crown and they have more money than sense!
Could Rolex do the same as Apple with a trade in service on their annual release

Last edited by Jimmy 1665; 5 June 2020 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Typo
Jimmy 1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 08:48 PM   #69
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would not. I have been very reluctant to buy the Android version of the Apple Watch. I do see the benefits of that type of device, but would rather buy a Suunto or similar to get about the same functionality. My opinion a smart watch like the Android / Apple watches just makes you overly connected and don't see myself ever purchasing one. Mechanical watches for me.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 09:03 PM   #70
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
'Computerized' is a bit strong - SD is a mechanical movement with an electronic regulator.
Mech, quartz, hybrid... it's all good.
Exactly and a very complicated totally hand built movement,and in general a lot more parts than say a Rolex movement.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 09:12 PM   #71
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermčs/et
This may be a mission for the Q branch then, to marry a mechanical Rolex with smart watch features that Bond would be proud of.

Old 6 June 2020, 12:23 AM   #72
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
Nope, I just can’t bring myself to wear a digital at all.Rather not wear a watch.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 12:25 AM   #73
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No thank you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 01:20 AM   #74
Piguette
Banned

Hell No!
Piguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 01:42 AM   #75
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I don’t know. Let’s see it, then I can make a rational decision.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 02:02 AM   #76
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I bought an apple watch a few years back and tried to love it. Just couldn't get accustomed to it. Hated it. Sold it.

I wouldn't buy a smartwatch; regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 6 June 2020, 04:29 AM   #77
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
No I wouldn't buy one.
Rolex would not go there. The problems with tech, battery longevity and the rate at which hardware and software move forward means smart watches have a very limited life span compared to a multi life time Rolex watch. It's so far away from what they make its inconceivable. Quartz was a bit more realistic as the oyster quartz was made in the same way as the autos with a long life span in mind.
I would buy an oyster quartz when I have other bases covered.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 05:57 PM   #78
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
'Computerized' is a bit strong - SD is a mechanical movement with an electronic regulator. Mech, quartz, hybrid... it's all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Exactly and a very complicated totally hand built movement,and in general a lot more parts than say a Rolex movement.
Its a partly mechanical movement that uses an electronically powered computer chip and quartz oscillator to electronically regulate the speed of the watch.

When a Seiko Spring Drive watch utilizes its computer processing and quartz oscillator to run the watch very accurately, its neat. However, I am more impressed when Rolex uses half the parts and no computing or electrical power to run watches within a second a day.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 07:10 PM   #79
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Nope.
Spectre38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 07:42 PM   #80
/16610
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t want Rolex to even think about it

I’m not against smartwatches per se; I happily wear an Apple Watch for a lot of the time, it’s a great bit of kit and ‘swims in a different lane’ to Rolexes and the like.

‘Luxury’ smartwatches are a dead-end, just like ‘luxury’ smartphones like Vertu etc.

Apple are leagues ahead of the ‘legacy’ watch companies tech-wise (an R&D budget of c.Ł13b/pa), and Apple already provide quality design and materials... you don’t want any more care to go in to this stuff anyway, as you’ll be wanting to upgrade every 2/3 years.

Might be worth it to make a quick buck for companies like TAG, but institutions (Rolex, Patek) that prize reputation and excellence over short term profit should steer well clear.
/16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 11:42 AM   #81
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Its a partly mechanical movement that uses an electronically powered computer chip and quartz oscillator to electronically regulate the speed of the watch.

When a Seiko Spring Drive watch utilizes its computer processing and quartz oscillator to run the watch very accurately, its neat. However, I am more impressed when Rolex uses half the parts and no computing or electrical power to run watches within a second a day.
This is skewed though, and not comparing like with like. Describing SD movements as partly mechanical is an exaggeration - everything is mechanical except for the regulator, and there is no electrical power/battery used. They typically have high torque, long power reserves, PR meters and other mechanical complications/refinements. Comparing movements by the number of parts doesn't make much sense, unless perhaps they have the exact same complications and can achieve the same consistent accuracy. 'Half the parts' is untrue, unless you are comparing say a 3-hander with a chrono. A Rolex movement consistently running within 1 sec /day is unlikely, whereas SD will run with consistent high accuracy over a long time period.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/ab...nt/springdrive

MECHANISM

Powered by the mainspring

Spring Drive is powered by a mainspring, just like all other mechanical watches. This traditional way of generating power allows the watch to be entirely autonomous, with no need for a battery or other power source.

Winding the mainspring by turning the crown or by moving the wrist stores energy which is then transferred to gears and used to move the watch hands as the spring unwinds over time.

By taking advantage of the high level of torque afforded by the mainspring, the caliber needs no other power to move the long, wide hands in the smooth glide motion that is Spring Drive’s signature.
Old 18 June 2020, 12:46 PM   #82
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
No. Next question.
Old 18 June 2020, 04:13 PM   #83
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

While the Spring Drive movement may be mostly mechanical, it uses a computer for the most important part of a movement--to regulate the movement and tell time accurately. Thus, I'm far less impressed with a Spring Drive that beats within the listed tolerance of +/-15 seconds per month than a Rolex running at its listed tolerance of +/-2 seconds per day. You said that a Rolex running within 1 second per day is "unlikely." I see lots of anecdotal evidence on this board of modern Rolex/Tudor running well under the 2 seconds per day day, and many dead on. So I wouldn't agree that its "unlikely." The Spring Drive is interesting, but much less interesting to me than a precision engineered purely mechanical device that only uses physics to create a highly accurate watch. I like things traditional--of course, maybe I'm just a dinosaur since I don't even do things like use social media to tell others about the latest piece of avocado toast I ate.

(I only mentioned the number pf parts in response to another member posting that the Spring Drive movement was hand built and complex and had many more parts than a Rolex mechanical movement--it actually looks like a 3 hand Spring Drive movement and 3135 both have in the neighborhood of 200 parts.)

Quote:
This is skewed though, and not comparing like with like. Describing SD movements as partly mechanical is an exaggeration - everything is mechanical except for the regulator, and there is no electrical power/battery used. They typically have high torque, long power reserves, PR meters and other mechanical complications/refinements. Comparing movements by the number of parts doesn't make much sense, unless perhaps they have the exact same complications and can achieve the same consistent accuracy. 'Half the parts' is untrue, unless you are comparing say a 3-hander with a chrono. A Rolex movement consistently running within 1 sec /day is unlikely, whereas SD will run with consistent high accuracy over a long time period.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/ab...nt/springdrive

MECHANISM