The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 August 2020, 04:41 AM   #1
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

16710 coke from 1988 - spider dial question...

Hi everyone,

I've been on the hunt for a tritium dial 16710 coke in unpolished condition, and it felt like maybe it was meant to be when I found an unpolished example that also happens to be a birth year for me!

however, I've discovered that dial has spidering. I've never really been a fan of spider dials, but I haven't come across one with this smaller, almost frosted looking appearance.

I haven't made up my mind about the purchasing the watch, but my question is about spidering in general:

Do you know if/when Rolex gloss dials stopped spidering?
I was always under the impression that with spidering was an issue with the reintroduction of glossy dials with white gold surrounds in 1984 with subs, but that by the late 80s and early 90s it had mostly gone away.
I'm also not familiar with seeing many 16710s that have spidering, hoping you all could kindly educate me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dial - resized.jpg (156.4 KB, 228 views)
ChetterBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:40 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
In regard to your concerns regarding "spider checking" found on the GMT glossy dials, and other glossy dials from the 1980s and 1990s, you can find corrosion and/or dial checking with the GMT models 16750, 16700, 16760 and 16710.

With the later 16710 dials, I find that the GMT II 16710 dials, and other dials from the same era, are more prone to corrosion and/or dial bubbling, especially around the hour markers, than dial checking.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 01:59 PM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I just purchased a 16710 Pepsi (also 1988, also my birth year) last Friday. I rather admire the spidering.

Sorry, can't answer your question but just thought it was a coincidence that I just purchased a 1988 birth year 16710 with spidering dial.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:40 PM   #4
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
In regard to your concerns regarding "spider checking" found on the GMT glossy dials, and other glossy dials from the 1980s and 1990s, you can find corrosion and/or dial checking with the GMT models 16750, 16700, 16760 and 16710.

With the later 16710 dials, I find that the GMT II 16710 dials, and other dials from the same era, are more prone to corrosion and/or dial bubbling, especially around the hour markers, than dial checking.
that's interesting - do you find that its later 16710 meaning Luminova dials, or did you mean the end of the tritium references?

if it is true that later tritium dials are more prone to bubbling and corrosion, I wonder if there is a sweet spot in the early 90s?
Old 5 August 2020, 02:43 PM   #5
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
I just purchased a 16710 Pepsi (also 1988, also my birth year) last Friday. I rather admire the spidering.

Sorry, can't answer your question but just thought it was a coincidence that I just purchased a 1988 birth year 16710 with spidering dial.
ha, that is quite the coincidence!

congrats on your purchase. not sure if I'll be joining you, but I certainly am thinking about it. most of the ones I've seen up close, I haven't been a fan of how big and uneven the spidering is, but the one you have looks a lot like he one I'm looking at. the patina is much smaller and more uniform. almost looks like frost on a windshield.
Old 5 August 2020, 02:50 PM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetterBear View Post
that's interesting - do you find that its later 16710 meaning Luminova dials, or did you mean the end of the tritium references?

if it is true that later tritium dials are more prone to bubbling and corrosion, I wonder if there is a sweet spot in the early 90s?
I was referring to tritium dials. I haven't noticed any issues with the luminova dials.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:49 PM   #7
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like what some of the dealers refer to as a “frozen” or “frosted” dial. :-)
Old 6 August 2020, 04:27 AM   #8
1watch
"TRF" Member

This effect may be marketed as a unique look by some, so it’s personal preference. I do know those that have spidering don’t have as high an asking price these days as dials without from my observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 10:55 PM   #9
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_LA View Post
Looks like what some of the dealers refer to as a “frozen” or “frosted” dial. :-)
those both sound like very apt descriptions! :)