The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2013, 09:59 AM   #61
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I've been wearing a WGdd2 for a few weeks now.

I can say due certain, it does not look like SS.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 10:44 AM   #62
PMiddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
one thing to keep in mind is many of the SS Rolex don't have PCL'S if any....my main point is the Look btwn the 3 (SS, WG, and Platinum) is not significantly different, well polished steel looks very good too, IMO YG or RG really stand out for the amount of money your spending....IMO if it were me I would go with YG because its classic and its a beautiful color...I can see SS or Silver all day ex: cars, buildings, bicycles, silverware, kitchen and bathroom faucets, most watches...

Thanks for all the pics, so far
PMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 11:08 AM   #63
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I have not yet seen a platinum Rolex close up but White Gold is not the same as Stainless Steel. It's a lot darker, with more "shine" to it. Sure from a distance it looks like steel but that's I think what people that prefer WG wants, not to draw attention. My next gold watch ( if I settle on one ) will be WG.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 11:27 AM   #64
accce
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Not only does white gold and platinum have more luster it also feels heavier.
accce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 02:16 PM   #65
mcavana

Watch: 16610
Lol sorry guys but i gotta say.... Yes white gold, stainless, and platnum do have different feels.... But those that say there is a visual difference are seeing things. Bottom line... With identical finishes, the 3 can NOT be told apart. If you have a platnum band that looks much brighter then a stainless, it is because the finish is different.
mcavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 02:21 PM   #66
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Easy to spot

You can easily see the difference between ss, wg, and pt with the naked eye. Requires no special skill. The color temperature for each is different.

The beauty of white metal is that it's under the radar. I can wear a Lange 1 in pt and no one has a clue what it's worth. Wear an old gold-plated Seiko and I get comments like "Nice watch!" or "That must be expensive!"

My preference is to wear my watches for me and not to attract attention - hence no colored metal but a few wg and pt watches for my own personal enjoyment.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 02:27 PM   #67
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangel View Post
I like WG for the same reasons that you don't.
Bingo.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 02:28 PM   #68
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
Buying gold, patinum, and silver has become my biggest source of income for my small business lately.... I can tell you that if the finish is the same, you can't visually tell the difference between white gold (that has been properly formulated), stainless and platinum. They are all identical. When buying I rely on the testing acids to tell me what is what.
Quote:
Not at all. For example... Say I had three rings. All the same size, shape, and same exact finish. One 18k white gold, one stainless steel, one .950 platnum. Visually you would not be able to tell me what metal each one was.
I can't tell platinum from platnum or patinum.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 02:32 PM   #69
mcavana

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I can't tell platinum from platnum or patinum.
Is that all you got? Pretty pathedic.
Old 23 March 2013, 02:37 PM   #70
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Lol sorry guys but i gotta say.... Yes white gold, stainless, and platnum do have different feels.... But those that say there is a visual difference are seeing things. Bottom line... With identical finishes, the 3 can NOT be told apart. If you have a platnum band that looks much brighter then a stainless, it is because the finish is different.
I'm not sure what the point of the discussion is since its so subjective and related to ones personal tastes and desires. I could buy my wife fake diamonds that look real, perhaps better than real, but I don't. Sometimes it's not simply a looks thing, it's a "how IT makes you feel" thing. In addition, the precious metals will always command a higher price.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 02:45 PM   #71
mcavana

Dont get me wrong. I dream of owning a YELLOW solid gold watch some day. And there is certainly nothing wrong with someones desire to have a white gold or plat watch. That said, back to the op post.... If you want others to notice that your watch is NOT stainless, you need to stick with yellow gold.
Old 23 March 2013, 02:46 PM   #72
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Is that all you got? Pretty pathedic.
Now that was funny.

I got plenty more.

Au is yellow.
Pt is sort of silvery.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 02:49 PM   #73
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I will be honest and say that my decision to buy a precious metal Rolex other than yellow or rose gold would be for the dial/bezel combinations that Rolex offers with these models. I personally like the ruggedness of stainless steel particularly with Rolex which is known for its durability and tool watch heritage. That said if I had the disposable income to buy a white gold Daytona I wouldn't hesitate because there is a cheaper stainless option. I will admit though if I ever do go precious metal it's going to be a rose gold day date or yellow gold GMTIIC. That said, if Frem wants to give me his platinum DD for the price of on the house I wouldn't say no.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 03:24 PM   #74
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
When you think about it, it is really only about the value or significance that you place on the material as so much jewellery is not what it appears.
You see so many 'gold' watches around and I suppose most would be gold-plated at best or have no gold at all at worst.
Womens jewellery is a classic example. You see lots of rings with big stones that could be diamonds but could equally be something else. Even on close examination, only an expert could tell.
Most people don't even notice your watch so what it is made out of is only significant to you.
For me, a tool watch is good in SS, a dress-up watch in a combo of SS & gold (yellow, rose or white), and a full-on dress watch in a precious metal - which is exactly what I have.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 09:03 PM   #75
SirGrotius

When I look at my wrist and see my ExpII in the light if always brings a smile to my face, due the whole picture (the balance, the orange, the polar, etc). If I had a WG watch, it'd bring a different type of smile to my face and I can tell you WG would be a big part of that story.
SirGrotius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 10:20 PM   #76
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
I think wg or plat is a personal choice. The owner knows what he has on, and doesn't care what other people think he or she has on ! I would give up my yg DD for plat in a new york minute !
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 01:53 AM   #77
mcavana

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Au is yellow.
Pt is sort of silvery.
White gold that is properly created is identical in color to plat.

:)
Old 24 March 2013, 01:57 AM   #78
LightOnAHill
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD lchdp
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermcking View Post
Platinum/white gold has much more shine and luster to it even with dim lights. I can kind of see where you are coming from but personally, platinum/white gold is noticeably different than stainless.

There is a difference between all three white metals, SS pt and wg.

I like yg the best but want a wg DD with silver dial and sticks to wear at times when I don't want my watch to be loud, such as in church or before a jury.

There's hundreds of threads on this topic you could read them for days, and good pics therein too... N check them out
LightOnAHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 02:18 AM   #79
bluecollar

Quote:
Not at all. For example... Say I had three rings. All the same size, shape, and same exact finish. One 18k white gold, one stainless steel, one .950 platnum. Visually you would not be able to tell me what metal each one was.
I'm sorry but that is just not true. I deal with precious metals on a daily basis. I can promise you that it is quite simple to pick out the wg, ss, and plat. If you can not tell the difference just by looking, then you need some more practice. Platinum will never have the same sheen that white gold does, and stainless, well, looks like stainless.
bluecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 02:23 AM   #80
Rolexwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ro,Om,Cart,Lon,Sei
They both look exactly the same, the only real difference is in the price.
Rolexwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 02:38 AM   #81
mkw
"TRF" Member

Watch: RB GMT II 3186
Paying many, many tens of thousands extra to encase the same workhorse movement that can be had in the low end SS version makes no sense , thats just me. There is a reason the case back is solid on most Rollies- they have the equiv of a super reliable time tested classic small block Chevy V8 motor inside.
If I am paying big bucks for a plat or WG watch, it should also encase the horological equivalent of an Audi V10, Porsche Twin Turbo Flat 6, BMW Twin Turbo V8 or Ferrari or Aston V12
mkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 03:01 AM   #82
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw View Post
Paying many, many tens of thousands extra to encase the same workhorse movement that can be had in the low end SS version makes no sense
If you really can't tell the difference between ss, wg, and pt then buy the ss Rolex and save money, or step up to a ss Patek Philippe if you have the cash.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 03:02 AM   #83
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Let me get this straight.

The whole point of this discussion is that platinum or white gold look like stainless steel, while yellow gold doesn't which will make other people think that you have spent more money?

That's basically it. Yellow gold screams "gold" and expensive while others might mistake white gold or platinum for inexpensive steel.

This is one of my personal problems with yellow gold. I don't have an issue with people liking it. Everyone has their own tastes but yellow gold is a statement. Yellow gold is easily identifiable and informs everyone around that you have something expensive. That's the whole point of this thread. It's not about personal choice, or liking the color or anything that matters. It's because that expensive thing can be confused for that other inexpensive thing.

What if someone wants a DD2 with the ice blue dial? That model is only available in platinum. What then? Should they not buy what they want for their own satisfaction because others might perceive their platinum as lowly steel?

Saying these things to people who perceive their own value through the eyes of others is pointless. It's just insecurity.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 03:07 AM   #84
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollar View Post
I'm sorry but that is just not true. I deal with precious metals on a daily basis. I can promise you that it is quite simple to pick out the wg, ss, and plat. If you can not tell the difference just by looking, then you need some more practice. Platinum will never have the same sheen that white gold does, and stainless, well, looks like stainless.
Kind of what I've been saying from the beginning of this thread.

Quote mcavana: White gold that is properly created is identical in color to plat.

If you clearly have no clue whats so ever on this subject then why so many posts to try to convince the people that do?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 03:15 AM   #85
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I step away for a week and...

IMO (actually owning all the Rolex metals) there's a BIG difference between the metals when held outside the harsh glaring lights of the AD. I can very readily pick out WG vs plat vs steel. As for why bother owning WG/plat vs YG/RG, it's because I like it - actually for me it's the weight of the watch that attracts me.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 04:16 AM   #86
mkw
"TRF" Member

Watch: RB GMT II 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
If you really can't tell the difference between ss, wg, and pt then buy the ss Rolex and save money, or step up to a ss Patek Philippe if you have the cash.
I can easily tell.
I installed polished nickel French made Harrington faucets in many of my bathrooms 15 yrs ago that cost thousands each and feel like butter in use even after these many years.
Some cant tell polished nickel from polished chrome or stainless on faucets, like some here claim for plat vsss vs WG watches, but the difference in weight, sheen , glow is obvious, whether plumbing or the Rolex materials we are discussing.
But I would not enjoy this finish as much it were on a common brand like Kohler or Grohe.
It has to be the total inside outside package for me.
mkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 04:19 AM   #87
bluecollar

Absolutely gorgeous Kilyung. I want a smurf in a bad bad way.
bluecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 04:28 AM   #88
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I agree with Mike! I love the weight of gold. Even a thin watch has a heft to it if it is in gold or platinum that adds a feel of quality.
Old 24 March 2013, 04:34 AM   #89
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by monbk View Post
kind of what i've been saying from the beginning of this thread.

quote mcavana: white gold that is properly created is identical in color to plat.

If you clearly have no clue whats so ever on this subject then why so many posts to try to convince the people that do?
+1

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 05:55 AM   #90
mvmbles
"TRF" Member

The aesthetic differences to me between stainless steel and white gold are that SS has a very clean, almost clinical look. In direct sunlight white gold gleams very brightly, and in lower light the wg has a very warm, almost yellowish tinge. I don't have any experience with platinum yet, so I can't really comment on it.

To my eyes, the white gold looks so different than the stainless models.

mvmbles is offline   Reply With Quote