The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 August 2020, 06:23 PM   #121
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
In life, there are things to worry about. Watches are not on that list.
jimcameron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 08:04 PM   #122
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
We are watch hobbyists just like filmgoers are movie fans, yet the things we like are actually businesses which employ staff and have to make profits, so it is no wonder that ADs try to make as much as they can by selling to greys, esp if Rolex are passive, and endless safe movie sequels get made by producers over original ideas, esp if the studio head is passive. It's tough to swallow for fans that the business aspect comes first for both industries, but hey that's showbusiness.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 08:10 PM   #123
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 08:32 PM   #124
JSL420
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Rolex is playing a dangerous game, they limited the professional pieces which is an outstanding marketing strategy, but if they got too far, eventually ppl will just turn their heads away, yes I own an Explorer and I enjoy it a lot , I am also waiting for a GMT in the AD’s fantasy wait list. So many ppl wants a Rolex professional SS watch but seriously the finishing and the quality of the piece is not really up there (it’s good and reliable for sure, but not great)
So if you’re a true fan of watches, plenty options out there that does not require any deposit or ‘wait list’
I really don’t care if I got the GMT in the end or not, and pay premium for a mass production watch is just stupid (sorry if I offended anyone)
JSL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 08:57 PM   #125
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Rolex is not the only brand for watch hobbyists/enthusiasts. Saying you are going to lose interest in watches because you can't get a BLRO is a way too exaggerated response (in my opinion.)
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:09 PM   #126
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
They really took advantage of you. Rolex deposit is an easy way to get a free loan, or recognize revenue to inflate the books. Anyway, several lessons learnt:
Waiting lists don’t exist
Down payment against nothing is just giving money away
Rolex has a new distribution channel - grey
The experience will kill the brand ever time

Moved to Panerai and never looked back. Still have 5 Rolex I am ashamed to even wear.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:15 PM   #127
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Frustrated to no end

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
They really took advantage of you. Rolex deposit is an easy way to get a free loan, or recognize revenue to inflate the books. Anyway, several lessons learnt:
Waiting lists don’t exist
Down payment against nothing is just giving money away
Rolex has a new distribution channel - grey
The experience will kill the brand ever time

Moved to Panerai and never looked back. Still have 5 Rolex I am ashamed to even wear.

Did you see the new Panerai 1313? I think that watch is beautiful.

I too am stepping back from Rolex. Just bought a big Pilot and have a vacheron overseas on order. Probably will add the Pam 1313 at some point. Just no interest anymore in Rolex even if they release a red text sub with slimmer lugs on sept 1st. Just too much nonsense.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 09:27 PM   #128
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
I wonder how many AD's drop Rolex to concentrate on other brands. They dedicate a lot of floor space to Rolex but must spend a lot of time disappointing potential customers by telling them the watch they desire from the catalogue they simply can not get.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 10:34 PM   #129
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeSubs View Post
How did you end up finding one?

Via a good friend
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 10:45 PM   #130
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ39 View Post
But how do you really feel about it now that you have the watch. Was it worth the wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the watch sure as heck is worth it . The jubilee is extremely comfortable , the build quality is very good and overall just a great piece. My wife loves it since it actually is for her . In that pic I had tried it on but haven’t worn it once since ....happy wife happy life.

BUT I will say that the treatment received at that AD was noting less than pathetic. Fully aware folks have to shell out a lot , build relationships, bake cookies , bring lattes but there is NO way I would pay grey market prices for a watch , never , ever....so my only choice was to be patient and hope someone would come through and it happened .

There are still good people in this world ... so there is hope for all of us non whales and non AD preferred clients .

With its friends

Old 8 August 2020, 10:50 PM   #131
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post

With its friends

That is a really nice collection. So stylish, so cool, and above all, so day to day usable.

Congratulations on the collection, and the BLRO addition.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 10:50 PM   #132
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
Rolex is not the only brand for watch hobbyists/enthusiasts. Saying you are going to lose interest in watches because you can't get a BLRO is a way too exaggerated response (in my opinion.)

Yeah it was a frustrating moment and have not sold any watches since then I was just pissed off. First world problem I get it but I never thought in my wildest dreams that a reputable store would do that ...business is business money is money blah blah but again you want to piss off ur customer so they never buy a thing from you then mission accomplished .
Since that story I added the BLRO and a Milgauss NOT from them and added a Seamaster 300M NOT from them so yeah they won big time
Old 8 August 2020, 10:55 PM   #133
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yep, it sucks...but such is the state of things right now.

However, we Rolex owners are sometimes our own worst enemies. We tend to want things when we want them, and then turn around and expect top dollar when we sell. Sadly, it doesn't go both ways.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 10:58 PM   #134
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
That is a really nice collection. So stylish, so cool, and above all, so day to day usable.

Congratulations on the collection, and the BLRO addition.

Thank you for the kind words
Old 8 August 2020, 11:02 PM   #135
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
Work with all and any AD, someone will come through. I picked up my pieces through 2 AD’s worked with 3.

Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 11:13 PM   #136
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki9999 View Post
Lucky me because I was never into Rolex watch in the first place. One thing I told myself is that "if Rolex has plenty of supplies and a crappy resale value, will you still buy their watches?"
The answer is obvious, no.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I could not disagree more. Rolex was freely available for years and had a steady following through out the years. The quality and styling was unmistakable. They depreciated like any personal goods purchase but folks back then bought them to wear and most had only one watch which they wore their entire life with pleasure.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:30 AM   #137
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Frustrated to no end

Years ago you could get anything you wanted, even a Daytona after a short wait. When I got into the hobby it was a fun experience to try on watches at the AD and eventually buy one at a discount. Things have changed a lot in the last years. Wanting and getting the model you want has become frustrating. Yes, many seem to get the watches they want but many also don’t. The best way to still enjoy the Rolex experience is to purchase what they have and not get into the list thing... there are plenty of awesome models still available.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:06 AM   #138
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraKaLaCKiN View Post
You could always argue breach of contract and file a lawsuit. Ask for the equivalent of the cost of the BLRO that was promised. This lawsuit would also allow you access to the shipments from Rolex. You;ll see just how many times you were passed over. I'd file just to gain access to those records! You could actually research and file your own lawsuit and then ask for these records in discovery. It's not that difficult.
Just when you think you’ve heard it all around here...
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:18 AM   #139
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Yep, it sucks...but such is the state of things right now.

However, we Rolex owners are sometimes our own worst enemies. We tend to want things when we want them, and then turn around and expect top dollar when we sell. Sadly, it doesn't go both ways.
Truth here and the reason for why we all go through what we go through with this brand.
Old 9 August 2020, 01:20 AM   #140
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I think the important thing to remember is something the OP himself mentioned; it’s not a kidney.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:27 AM   #141
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
A little hot is right and I have no doubt it will pass. Yes in some way I am lucky but what I really want to say is that Rolex is the lucky one when people are willing to put up w this nonsense. Maybe it is the, i can’t have it syndrome but I have no idea how sustainable it will be for them in the long run . They have weathered many economic crisis but the past is no indication of the future ...
The situation definitely stinks. Unfortunately, this is the game we play in order to go with the AD experience. I know you are frustrated (to put it mildly) but keep the faith. In the end, they are only watches.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:33 AM   #142
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Personally, I just consider the "market price" as the one charged by resellers. If I believe a watch that I want is worth that amount (obviously subjective), fine. If not, I move on.

I don't expect an AD to sell something to me below market price, unless I make it worthwhile to them by purchasing high margin items that are not in short supply.

Life is too short to wait around for something that may never materialize, let alone put a deposit down with a dealer that may go out of business.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:58 AM   #143
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So where I am at now is wanting to say F this hobby I really don’t need this crap in my life . Yeah yeah yeah go grey pay twice as much for something that isn’t a 18k product no thanks . Not a principle issue or a virtue moment simply is I work too hard to throw money out of the window.

End of rant
The BLNR sells for $16,500 today. The Authorized Dealer price isn't, practically speaking, what the watch sells for. It sells for $16,500 today. That is the market price. The Rolex advertised $9,700 is not a real price since you can't walk into a dealer and purchase one for that amount. I am talking in generalities here. I realize some watches are gifted at lower authorized dealer prices for a variety of reasons.

If I were a Rolex dealer, I'd do the same thing that many of them do. I'd sell the watch for what I could get for it. That would mean gray dealers. Why should I give away money by selling it for less than current market value. That's why DavidSW has these watches today.

BNABOD, if you don't want to throw away your money, don't buy Rolex. I would argue that anything other than an Oyster Perpetual is essentially throwing away money since you can get a more or less equivalent watch for much less. Tudor comes to mind, as well as others.

For me personally, my Oyster Perpetual watches both cost me around $5000 each. I did't throw away my money since I got what I desired and purchased them at market value. I don't think there an alternative, CNC machined, three hand, no caseback engraving, high quality bracelet, solid watch that is 34 to 36mm with a long history.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:10 AM   #144
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well the watch sure as heck is worth it . The jubilee is extremely comfortable , the build quality is very good and overall just a great piece. My wife loves it since it actually is for her . In that pic I had tried it on but haven’t worn it once since ....happy wife happy life.

BUT I will say that the treatment received at that AD was noting less than pathetic. Fully aware folks have to shell out a lot , build relationships, bake cookies , bring lattes but there is NO way I would pay grey market prices for a watch , never , ever....so my only choice was to be patient and hope someone would come through and it happened .

There are still good people in this world ... so there is hope for all of us non whales and non AD preferred clients .

With its friends

nice ... !!
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:17 AM   #145
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
Nice collection and cool your wife is wearing that beautiful BLRO
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:34 AM   #146
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraKaLaCKiN View Post
You could always argue breach of contract and file a lawsuit. Ask for the equivalent of the cost of the BLRO that was promised. This lawsuit would also allow you access to the shipments from Rolex. You;ll see just how many times you were passed over. I'd file just to gain access to those records! You could actually research and file your own lawsuit and then ask for these records in discovery. It's not that difficult.
So from what I have heard, this is precisely why all the AD"s got coy around "the list"... there is no list etc etc... Some guy I believe in Colorado did this. He was told he was 3rd on the list, and that they get 2-3 per year, so he paid in full up front. He walked in at the year and a half mark and asked for his watch. When they didn't have it, he sued.

Not sure if he got anywhere, but I've had multiple dealers in different states tell this same story.

The drama is actually turning into one of my favorite parts. I'm not chasing hot models, so this is now my gossip column.
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:44 AM   #147
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
damn that is a serious bummer. i'm glad that i am not even interested in most of the hot s/s rolex models. otherwise i'd be feeling just like you.
but i am definitely one to give the finger to anyone/thing that isn't interested in me or my money.
i'd simply start loving another brand. vc, iwc, and omega are very worthy substitutes and by no means a step down.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:47 AM   #148
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
nevermind, i guess you found one. and are pretty dedicated to rolex.
congrats
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:52 AM   #149
watchdisplay
"TRF" Member

I can see where you are frustrated but I personally would never put a deposit down on any watch unless I had something in writing. I’m not someone who loans an established business 5k plus (or whatever amount) and not even make any extra money in return if the deal is never completed.

I understand where you say “your throwing money out the door” by spending Grey Market price but retail obviously is not market price. I have paid over retail for several pieces ( BLRO, BLNR, Daytona c) and I have honestly always made money even after wearing it for several months. Then again I generally flip stainless steel watches bc I get bored by them quickly.

watchdisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 07:03 AM   #150
rlx123
"TRF" Member

The OP could have put that $5000 in Amazon stock back then and made some money to cover the grey market premium by now.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote