The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2020, 12:42 AM   #1
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Next watch - Tudor BB Blue, ND Sub, or JL Polaris Automatic

So I'm contemplating my next purchase, and I've decided I'm going SS this time. Which would you go for?

Tudor BB Blue 79220B, No Date Sub, or Jaeger-LeCoultre Automatic Polaris Blue Dial. I attached pics of the Tudor and JL. Figured we all know what ND Sub looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor-Black-Bay-Blue-21.jpg (217.0 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpeg 1640777.png.crop.1000.high.grey.jpeg (117.9 KB, 251 views)
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 12:43 AM   #2
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

What reference Submariner? 5512, 5513, 14060/14060M, or 114060?
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 12:48 AM   #3
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
What reference Submariner? 5512, 5513, 14060/14060M, or 114060?
Good question - 114060
Old 12 April 2020, 12:58 AM   #4
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Speaking from experience, I feel like my 114060 is a lifetime purchase. It just has such substantial quality and looks great with everything- it really is never out of place and the bracelet is second to none. Movement is rock solid accurate, and it’s super easy to pick up and set quickly.

I also own a Tudor GMT that while very nice, especially for the money, just doesn’t compare to the 114060 with regard to case proportions and wrist feel. The thickness of the Tudor cases, even with ETA movement, is just a bit much if you’re used to five and six digit Rolex cases.

If you own the Smurf, though, the Tudor might be a nice change of pace. The dial is HIGHLY legible at a glance compared to even a six digit sub.

It’s hard to beat the timeless aesthetics of Tudor and a Rolex, regardless. I’ve never been able to get into JLC for aesthetic reasons- just my personal take. Good luck and have fun!
Old 12 April 2020, 01:21 AM   #5
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Speaking from experience, I feel like my 114060 is a lifetime purchase. It just has such substantial quality and looks great with everything- it really is never out of place and the bracelet is second to none. Movement is rock solid accurate, and it’s super easy to pick up and set quickly.

I also own a Tudor GMT that while very nice, especially for the money, just doesn’t compare to the 114060 with regard to case proportions and wrist feel. The thickness of the Tudor cases, even with ETA movement, is just a bit much if you’re used to five and six digit Rolex cases.

If you own the Smurf, though, the Tudor might be a nice change of pace. The dial is HIGHLY legible at a glance compared to even a six digit sub.

It’s hard to beat the timeless aesthetics of Tudor and a Rolex, regardless. I’ve never been able to get into JLC for aesthetic reasons- just my personal take. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the input! I'm leaning towards the Tudor right now, but the Sub keeps picking at the back of my mind. Gonna be a tough call. I'm not a big fan of most of the JLC models, but this one is speaking to me right now, at least the picture is anyway.
Old 12 April 2020, 01:27 AM   #6
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
Next watch - Tudor BB Blue, ND Sub, or JL Polaris Automatic

Quote:

The Tudor Black Bay ETA is 12.7mm thick. How thick is the 114060? I’m guessing possibly a half a mm thinner, if that ?

And yes, it’s a beautiful piece. Better than the red and black with the gilt indices.

Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 01:33 AM   #7
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaga167 View Post
The Tudor Black Bay ETA is 12.7mm thick. How thick is the 114060? I’m guessing possibly a half a mm thinner, if that ?

And yes, it’s a beautiful piece. Better than the red and black with the gilt indices.

Wow, I just love the look of this watch. I don't mind a tad big thicker, myself. Actually my only concern is having to go pre-owned with this one, as I've always bought new from the AD. Actually, I should add there is one other thing - the lack of a glide lock compared to the Sub.
Old 12 April 2020, 02:21 AM   #8
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Wow, I just love the look of this watch. I don't mind a tad big thicker, myself. Actually my only concern is having to go pre-owned with this one, as I've always bought new from the AD. Actually, I should add there is one other thing - the lack of a glide lock compared to the Sub.
If you look hard enough, you can still find them out there NIB. I’d say go for it if it speaks to you- it’s a great piece for the money.
Old 12 April 2020, 02:23 AM   #9
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaga167 View Post

You’d be surprised seeing them side by side. A substantial portion of the 114060 published thickness is due to the protruding caseback- not the case itself. It is the opposite with the Tudor, and I found the stubbier lugs took some getting used to, even coming from the chunky ceramic sub.
Old 12 April 2020, 02:36 AM   #10
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Tudor BB41 eta could take the place of my SubC with no regrets. Tried to love the Polaris but it's a no go for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:57 AM   #11
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Tudor BB41 eta could take the place of my SubC with no regrets. Tried to love the Polaris but it's a no go for me.

Love seeing them side by side like that.
Old 12 April 2020, 03:00 AM   #12
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Sub "no date" all the way! You just can't go wrong with a Sub imho! Last summer I tried on a Tudor BB at my Rolex AD just for fun, and didn't like how thick it is. Do make sure you try one on first! I've never had a JLC on my wrist.
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 05:17 AM   #13
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Thanks for everyone's advice - I just pulled the trigger on the Tudor 79220B I've had my eye on for awhile. Sub is still definitely on list for a later time!
Old 12 April 2020, 05:20 AM   #14
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Tudor or the Sub. The JLC is cool, but probably won’t scratch the itch that the Tudor or Sub will.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 06:04 AM   #15
RBradleigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Last year I sold the eta BBB on steel bracelet to a colleague to free up funds to “upgrade” to the 114060.

The noticeable differences between the 2 are the sub has a thinner profile and the bracelet a greater taper which i like. I prefer the blue bezel to the sub’s black for a slight splash of color however in most light settings you can’t notice the difference.

As others will say only you can judge whether or not the sub is worth double the price of the BBB
Old 12 April 2020, 08:12 AM   #16
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Thanks for everyone's advice - I just pulled the trigger on the Tudor 79220B I've had my eye on for awhile. Sub is still definitely on list for a later time!
Congrats!!! Let us know when it shows up and share your first impressions.
Old 9 August 2020, 06:59 AM   #17
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post

This thread, and photo above in particular, is why I love TRF so much as a credible resource.

I have this same BB Blue ETA and love it. But in hopes of acquiring the 114060 (my first and likely only Rolex), I am agonizing over the decision to either sell off the BB to help fund the Sub or keep it and just keep saving... and then run the risk of being priced out with supply shortages or an inevitable MSRP bump if the new Sub reference is indeed introduced.

Definitely torn. I couldn’t see wearing them both, but there’s so much sentimentality tied up in my BB that I’d definitely regret moving it along.

Regardless, it’s great to see them side-by-side and to read everyone’s insight.

Oh and congrats to the OP for deciding on the BB! Such a charming watch with great character - that rose dial is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rcclarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 07:01 AM   #18
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Lot of respect for Jaeger leCoultre,but would say ND Sub .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 07:32 AM   #19
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
114060 is my favorite watch so obviously I’d say that. The other 2 just don’t do it for me. I like JLC, but the Polaris would not be my first choice from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote