The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 February 2020, 10:41 PM   #1
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Where to dumpster-dive for Vintage?

I've been bit by the vintage bug but I'm quickly realizing that online vintage shopping will result in: a) buying garbage, b) paying a hefty premium, c) lack of enjoyment of the hunt.

I hunt for vintage guitars, pens, cars, etc. and the search is almost as fun as the acquisition. Where would be the prime spots to go look for hidden treasures, nice vintage watches.

Thanks!!
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:02 PM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelair007 View Post
I've been bit by the vintage bug but I'm quickly realizing that online vintage shopping will result in: a) buying garbage, b) paying a hefty premium, c) lack of enjoyment of the hunt.

I hunt for vintage guitars, pens, cars, etc. and the search is almost as fun as the acquisition. Where would be the prime spots to go look for hidden treasures, nice vintage watches.

Thanks!!
Welcome to the party! Where have you been? You're about five years late...

There aren't many hidden treasures anymore - everybody's wise to the game now.

Work with a trusted dealer to get what you want. This will involve b) paying a premium, but will prevent a) buying garbage, and doesn't necessarily mean c) lack of enjoyment of the hunt. Good luck with it!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:26 PM   #3
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Are you serious? eBay is loads of fun. Total hodgepodge of nuts, crooks and fakers. It’s that one dumb dumb that you have to have to try to locate. I just love it. I’ve been ripped off before, but I cant stop. The only bigger group of nuts, crooks and idiots have to be antique shop owners and garage salers. You can try garage sales, but the net has simplified valuation so much so that even complete morons can ballpark their uncles datejust.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:28 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

Work with a trusted dealer to get what you want. This will involve b) paying a premium, but will prevent a) buying garbage, and doesn't necessarily mean c) lack of enjoyment of the hunt. Good luck with it!
Agree

And .... you’ll still have to hunt to find what you’re looking for so still satisfying in the end.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:32 PM   #5
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Not true. It's just a matter of shopping around and asking the seller questions before hand. Many trusted sellers here have online presence in other familiar watch marketplaces.

While I do agree it's far easier to find bargains in- person but even that isn’t what it used to be. I used to find tons of deals on items before 2004-ish at local flea markets because mobile internet web browser access was still in it’s earlier stages. Sellers had to rely on computers at home and not in-real time at the outside tables. Then iPhone arrived soon after everything became equal.

It's just harder now than every, just last yr, we had a member old Sub (including Mik-Sub) parts online for pennies on the $100s. Some folks still find the occasional loose 1877-1984 Kenner Star Wars prototypes and loose $6,000+ Vlix hidden w/in eBay bundles.

Quote:

Thanks!!
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:41 PM   #6
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

I've been lurking!! Ha! I was more of a voyeur but I've decided to join the party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Are you serious? eBay is loads of fun. Total hodgepodge of nuts, crooks and fakers. It’s that one dumb dumb that you have to have to try to locate. I just love it. I’ve been ripped off before, but I cant stop. The only bigger group of nuts, crooks and idiots have to be antique shop owners and garage salers. You can try garage sales, but the net has simplified valuation so much so that even complete morons can ballpark their uncles datejust.
I'm sure I'd end up on the losing end of that one although I do pick up vintage guitars on eBay for dirt cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Agree

And .... you’ll still have to hunt to find what you’re looking for so still satisfying in the end.
Ha! Sounds like the same hunt for modern watches...eh, I'm interested in the watch you're selling, what's your wire info...done! Doh!! 3 hours later and 4 watches in...I'm broke mama!
Old 15 February 2020, 11:46 PM   #7
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

For the record, I have checked all family drawers, chests, lockboxes, under mattresses, shoe boxes, attics, rolled up socks but no cigar!
Old 15 February 2020, 11:56 PM   #8
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
For the record, I have checked all family drawers, chests, lockboxes, under mattresses, shoe boxes, attics, rolled up socks but no cigar!
I check the places you mentioned plus The Linc and Citizen's Bank Park “lost and found” boxes to no avail. Ha. No reason to check the 76ers arena after Pat Croce's bro stole watches from the 76ers locker room almost 20 years ago.

All the places we mentioned still have better odds finding something interesting than a Rolex AD.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 12:11 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you serious? eBay is loads of fun.
Yes, if you know what you're doing. You're an expert on the forum. The OP is a newbie. The Bay is a world of hurt for those who are new to the game.

OP, buy a piece from Harry in Montreal!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:06 AM   #10
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
eBay has provided several of my most-loved pieces. But the prize for me was finding a wrecked 6694 at a contents sale in a nice area of town - $50 for the watch, about $600 for new dial and hands and crown and service, and bingo, a watch I occasionally wear for CAD650 all in.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:13 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah ... everyone please post where you go to find your bargain vintage Rolex. Also, your favorite fishing spot, and your best camping site where you go for peace and quiet.
Old 16 February 2020, 01:36 AM   #12
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Yeah ... everyone please post where you go to find your bargain vintage Rolex. Also, your favorite fishing spot, and your best camping site where you go for peace and quiet.
Oh come on Dan, I was just asking for the combination to your safe and your ATM pin...
Old 16 February 2020, 01:47 AM   #13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I hate to give up the big secret but all Paul Newman Daytonas come from couches. Check their couches!

My last vintage score was dumb luck in finding it and a big risk coming from overseas. It turned out to be better than expected. Patience is key. You won't run across a barn find overnight.

Good luck!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:55 AM   #14
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Oh come on Dan, I was just asking for the combination to your safe and your ATM pin...
The ATM pin, no problem, that's only money.
Old 16 February 2020, 02:04 AM   #15
exador
Banned

There’s a geezer with a solid gold Datejust at the retirement village that I visit. Must get to know his family better
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:26 AM   #16
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Ha! This thread is derailing rapidly!!
Old 16 February 2020, 02:30 AM   #17
larryccf
"TRF" Member

I've toyed with the idea of running ads in local or market specific newspapers - if you're looking for divers, and you're in Philly, you might try advertising in the navy base publication (if they have one specific to Philly), otherwise local papers, ie "Watch addict looking for old watches" - that will generally get some attention, especially from the older, as in retired, population, and who knows what will turn up.

2nd idea, i forget who, it might have been Steve Mulholland, but a forum member and seller here one day admitted he dumpster dove in his local Rolex RSC or service center's dumpster - considering how Rolex SVC centers act like older rolexes are still the property of rolex when sent in for repair, and will change out parts you don't want changed - you might turn up some interesting parts.

3RD SUGGESTION, i can't recall his name, but another poster here that i haven't seen here on the forum since my return, had a pawn shop in Manhattan and was something of a rolex expert with some exotic pcs always showing up. And apparently he had pawn shops around him who also dealt in vintage rolexes - that might be a good spot to look -- but be careful you know what you're buying is authentic

FWIW
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:07 AM   #18
Nickn
"TRF" Member

I found a mid 80’s ladies bi-metal in a charity shop last year
£10 ,I think, in a bag of cheap watches
I did post photos
And around 10 years back I found a 76 5513 at the kempton antique fair for £20
I can honestly say I was more excited finding the 5513 then the birth of my two soms
I was expecting them!
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 06:44 AM   #19
larryccf
"TRF" Member

another suggestion that just came to mind - i used to go to estate sales

you can call the auction houses that handle them and ask to be notified when they've got an estate sale with watch related items

i went to one where i picked up a shoe box of rolex parts, 4 diver's bracelet extensions, a sub case back and a 1665 caseback (that has proven to be questionable) - plus a number of small hand sets & a few rolex dials - apparently the former owner was a rolex watchmaker. But that box sold for far more than the $12 i paid for it

fwiw
Old 16 February 2020, 06:55 AM   #20
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
I've toyed with the idea of running ads in local or market specific newspapers
My local CraigsList is loaded with "collectors" seeking Mcintosh tube amps and Rolex watches. I've noticed on ebay that some GoodWill stores sell their better items on auctions.

At the big summer flea markets in my area there are always guys selling old watches piled in boxes. When I walk up in a short sleeve shirt you can see their eyes staring at my wrist. These people are not stupid.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 07:04 AM   #21
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Quote:

Thanks!!
I’m still seeing reasonable priced vintage Omega and Breitling. Seems the vintage Rolex market is already fully covered.
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 07:15 AM   #22
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I got a Tudor 7017 ona 7206 five years ago on eBay for $140. That was my best score. I also turned down a 6263 Daytona back in 1998 for 12 grand. A genius I am not
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 07:21 AM   #23
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Not true. It's just a matter of shopping around and asking the seller questions before hand. Many trusted sellers here have online presence in other familiar watch marketplaces.

While I do agree it's far easier to find bargains in- person but even that isn’t what it used to be. I used to find tons of deals on items before 2004-ish at local flea markets because mobile internet web browser access was still in it’s earlier stages. Sellers had to rely on computers at home and not in-real time at the outside tables. Then iPhone arrived soon after everything became equal.

It's just harder now than every, just last yr, we had a member old Sub (including Mik-Sub) parts online for pennies on the $100s. Some folks still find the occasional loose 1877-1984 Kenner Star Wars prototypes and loose $6,000+ Vlix hidden w/in eBay bundles.
I had to google the Vlix one. Why is it so special or loved, limited and ...? I didn't even know about this character.

https://www.thebeardedtrio.com/2019/...ot-afa-85.html
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 07:41 AM   #24
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
I found a mid 80’s ladies bi-metal in a charity shop last year
£10 ,I think, in a bag of cheap watches
I did post photos
And around 10 years back I found a 76 5513 at the kempton antique fair for £20
I can honestly say I was more excited finding the 5513 then the birth of my two soms
I was expecting them!
You still got the 5513? Would love to see pictures. That's an awesome find, damn...
Old 16 February 2020, 07:58 AM   #25
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got a Tudor 7017 ona 7206 five years ago on eBay for $140. That was my best score. I also turned down a 6263 Daytona back in 1998 for 12 grand. A genius I am not
uhhhh.......don't tell anyone i said this, but you aren't alone in making a mistake like that. And i did it much much worse - got invited to share in a product design, offering me 1/3 equity position - they wanted me to handle the marketing. I knew they'd approached 2 other outfits already, so i figured they'd been turned down already and it honestly wasn't something i could get excited about.

Later they got a chance to demo the item for US Special Forces, they ended up adopting, then every grunt in Afghanistan had to have one - by DOD's commercial contractor reports, they sold over $30 million worth to DOD, at $198 each (cost of production about $34 each.

Then the two partners had an offer to sell the company for $40 million, one partner didn't want to, they got into a lawsuit - spent about $1 mil each with attorneys until the one that wanted to sell bought out the other partner for $15 million, then demand for the product dropped like a rock, ie we pulled out of Afghanistan, and the buyer who'd offer $40 million had vaporized by this time. Now the partner that bought the other partner out, would love to sell the entire company for not much more than $15 mil.
Old 16 February 2020, 09:10 AM   #26
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
uhhhh.......don't tell anyone i said this, but you aren't alone in making a mistake like that. And i did it much much worse - got invited to share in a product design, offering me 1/3 equity position - they wanted me to handle the marketing. I knew they'd approached 2 other outfits already, so i figured they'd been turned down already and it honestly wasn't something i could get excited about.

Later they got a chance to demo the item for US Special Forces, they ended up adopting, then every grunt in Afghanistan had to have one - by DOD's commercial contractor reports, they sold over $30 million worth to DOD, at $198 each (cost of production about $34 each.

Then the two partners had an offer to sell the company for $40 million, one partner didn't want to, they got into a lawsuit - spent about $1 mil each with attorneys until the one that wanted to sell bought out the other partner for $15 million, then demand for the product dropped like a rock, ie we pulled out of Afghanistan, and the buyer who'd offer $40 million had vaporized by this time. Now the partner that bought the other partner out, would love to sell the entire company for not much more than $15 mil.
Nice story but useless without saying what the item was. Was it classified?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 09:44 AM   #27
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
You still got the 5513? Would love to see pictures. That's an awesome find, damn...
I do but I cannot upload the photos it says they are too large but I don’t know how to resize???
This is another sub I took the old faded bezel insert off and replaced with a nice new one!
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 10:06 AM   #28
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
I do but I cannot upload the photos it says they are too large but I don’t know how to resize???
This is another sub I took the old faded bezel insert off and replaced with a nice new one!
You can use imgur.com to upload them.
Old 16 February 2020, 10:22 AM   #29
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
I bought a 'fake' rolex off gumtree a year ago. The thing was, you could tell in the photos it was real. I went and collected it and sure enough it was a real Rolex date.
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 10:56 AM   #30
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 14060
Quote:
LOLZ to funny!!!. Awesome comment
wappinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote