The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2020, 08:14 AM   #91
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Guess the 5970 is a fad because it’s practically the same size
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 08:23 AM   #92
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanzenberg View Post
Guess the 5970 is a fad because it’s practically the same size
Except the Sky Dweller is actually much larger at 42mm x 14 mm vs. the 40mm x 13.5mm of the 5970. Sorry, but the Sky Dweller isn’t at the same level as a Patek perpetual calendar. Glad you like your Sky Dweller, but it doesn’t mean that everyone else has to as well.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:37 AM   #93
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
[QUOTE=joli160;10805873]The SkyD is a classic already and full with timeless Rolex DNA ;

+ Fluted bezel and a functioning one
+ Cyclops
+ Oyster bracelet with easy link
+ Waterproof
+ First Rolex with an annual calendar complication
+ First Rolex with a dual complication, added GMT function
+ PM range comes with the first mechanism for Rolex aligning the crown always up.

It is the only Rolex you will ever need

Down the road i think the blue will be less in demand than the other configurations. The black/ white dials look less cluttered and more stylish imho

x2 I love my Blue Sky Dweller
Showcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:57 AM   #94
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

The most in-demand SkyD’s moving forward will be the white-gold white/blue/black stick dials. Made for about 1 year, transitional pieces. Very rare. They already trade >$50k but I can see these being in high demand due to rarity.
Old 9 August 2020, 10:00 AM   #95
vivicorsi
Banned

The blue skydweller will bet the 5711 of the next generation.
Time to move on from 70’s design ;)
vivicorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 10:22 AM   #96
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Long term, blue is a fad. Another color will suddenly become a sensation at some point.
Old 9 August 2020, 12:05 PM   #97
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Long term, blue is a fad. Another color will suddenly become a sensation at some point.
I disagree. In terms of dials, one needs a light and a dark. So it used to be a white and a black, but now you can replace white with blue for that effect. Blue is here to stay more than any other color. Green smells tacky (sorry hulk owners, my opinion), red is too bold, yellow or purple are too immature. What other colors are there?
Old 9 August 2020, 12:22 PM   #98
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
First complicated Rolex, difficult to purchase, beautiful design....its going places.

Yeah I own one.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:41 PM   #99
Aztro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss Z
Too big and too flashy (for a SS) to be a long term classic IMO.
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:59 PM   #100
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
Except the Sky Dweller is actually much larger at 42mm x 14 mm vs. the 40mm x 13.5mm of the 5970. Sorry, but the Sky Dweller isn’t at the same level as a Patek perpetual calendar. Glad you like your Sky Dweller, but it doesn’t mean that everyone else has to as well.
Ok, what about the 5905, an identically sized Patek to the SkyD? Is it not a classic design? Lmk. https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...ions/5905P-001
Old 9 August 2020, 01:08 PM   #101
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanzenberg View Post
Ok, what about the 5905, an identically sized Patek to the SkyD? Is it not a classic design? Lmk. https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...ions/5905P-001
What about the Patek 5905? I don’t like that one either. Not sure why you feel the need to convince others that the Sky Dweller isn’t too large for them or that it’s a classic in the making. It’s awesome that you like them, it is a cool watch and innovative, some, however, just don’t like the size or aesthetics. For this style of watch, I prefer the blue DJ41 with fluted bezel and jubilee. Cleaner dial.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 07:35 PM   #102
vivicorsi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post

Rolex wants the blue to be scarce. They deliver much more white and black dials, according to 5 Ad’s in my region.

That’s why the allow you to change from black to white dial and viceversa
BUT you can never change to a blue dial.
Old 9 August 2020, 07:47 PM   #103
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivicorsi View Post
Rolex wants the blue to be scarce. They deliver much more white and black dials, according to 5 Ad’s in my region.

That’s why the allow you to change from black to white dial and viceversa
BUT you can never change to a blue dial.
Have you got 100% prove of this or are you just stating hearsay,as many ADs often talk through where the sun dont shine.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 07:51 PM   #104
maxbelg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
........ Sorry, but the Sky Dweller isn’t at the same level as a Patek perpetual calendar.......
It‘s much more advanced than any other annual calendar. It doesn‘t have all kind of restrictions when setting and no pushers for correcting the calendar, keeping the oyster robustness and water resistance. It‘s set up in no time without Danger or issues. Don’t forget it has a second time zone and it’s a ‚true’ gmt watch with its independent hour hand.This little review and comparison is in german, but you‘ll get the idea with google translate:

https://www.r-l-x.de/forum/showthrea...ilippe-und-IWC

It‘s a future classic for sure!
maxbelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 08:24 PM   #105
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
I think it will age like the royal oak, very desirable in 50 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:06 AM   #106
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
It’s like an ugly DJII (with similar big, awkward hour markers), “setting sun” date sub-dial, and overly complicated and poorly executed annual calendar. Having the month indicators as little tiny hashes next to the hour markers is so dumb. It’s embarrassing. Classic or fad? Neither. It’s an abomination.
Says the owner of the SD43 giant. You won't find any review that matches your thoughts. It's a great watch. I had the SD43 and found it awkward. As a person who uses the GMT function daily, the SkyD function in this regard is only overshadowed by the Patek dual hand, which I do wish Rolex had implemented. Much easier to use than a GMT and true complication.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:22 AM   #107
nda
"TRF" Member

Anything new will be dubbed a 'fad' by some - a short-lived craze. I somehow doubt this will be the case as it's a beautiful mechanism and one that is quite unique in many ways. It's the only Rolex I own and I bought it for the clever and robust mechanism.

I don't find it a large watch at all - it feels smaller and slimmer than a Planet Ocean I have.

Future classic? No idea, but it's certainly a lovely thing.

nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:37 AM   #108
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
The scarcity is artificial unless Rolex are seeing a lot of pieces being sent in with complaints and keeping numbers low to iron out issues. Just another theory.

Re. the size, I’ve a <6.5” wrist and the GMT was made for my wrists, the Daytona is near perfect but the SkyD is just too big. I took my name off the list, I couldn’t wear it.
Is the scarcity artificial thought? From what I've been told, only Rolex's master watchmakers construct this piece making production more limited.

Regarding the size, I've been wearing mine for more than a year now and haven't found the size to be too overwhelming or uncomfortable but I wouldn't say that it fits as nicely as a Daytona either.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:06 AM   #109
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
I think it will not be a classic, not hating by any means cool watch but not a classic.

GVAZQUEZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:10 AM   #110
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Fad....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:16 AM   #111
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It will be as classic as any Rolex sport model. Show me one that isn’t a classic after a long period of time.
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:39 AM   #112
Miexpeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky Dweller,
Definitely not a fad.

Miexpeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:26 PM   #113
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Is the scarcity artificial thought? From what I've been told, only Rolex's master watchmakers construct this piece making production more limited.
That’s a possibility. Another possibility is that Rolex had/have a dud of a complication in the YM II from a sales standpoint. A cautious limited and constrained release of another complication would not be hard to understand nor a misplaced strategy. We will never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Regarding the size, I've been wearing mine for more than a year now and haven't found the size to be too overwhelming or uncomfortable but I wouldn't say that it fits as nicely as a Daytona either.
I envy you then! :) The SkyD wears larger as many forum members have concluded and unfortunately for me that turned out to be the ‘case’ as well (pun not intended).
Old 10 August 2020, 08:15 PM   #114
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
According to my AD they deliver twice as many blue SS Sky Dwellers as each of the other colours. In 2029 my AD received 2 blue, 1 white, 1 black. They tell me that demand for the blue is easily 10X that for either black or white in the SS models. The high demand drives apparent scarcity compared to the black and white, not helped by the fact that Rolex produce so few. Personally I prefer the black in SS but in this instance, going for a less popular model only gets me closer to it in as much as I pay less grey gouge margin.

My AD usually get 2 TT Sky Dwellers a year. But this is Rolex - so they might send 10 next month and a crate of blue SS. Unlikely, but when it comes to Rolex, who knows?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 08:58 PM   #115
zen123
"TRF" Member

Not gonna lie, the blue dial is very striking. Would I get one if given the chance, probably, but I'm more inclined to get the TT black dial.
zen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 09:00 PM   #116
vivicorsi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
According to my AD they deliver twice as many blue SS Sky Dwellers as each of the other colours. In 2029 my AD received 2 blue, 1 white, 1 black. They tell me that demand for the blue is easily 10X that for either black or white in the SS models. The high demand drives apparent scarcity compared to the black and white, not helped by the fact that Rolex produce so few. Personally I prefer the black in SS but in this instance, going for a less popular model only gets me closer to it in as much as I pay less grey gouge margin.

My AD usually get 2 TT Sky Dwellers a year. But this is Rolex - so they might send 10 next month and a crate of blue SS. Unlikely, but when it comes to Rolex, who knows?

I have never heard that here.

Rolex for sure wants to keep the blue special , as they won’t allow you to change from black or white to blue , however you could change the dial from black to white and vice versa.
It’s a deliberate choice on Rolex side.
Old 11 August 2020, 12:14 AM   #117
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
I would take a Blue Sky D over a Daytona all day everyday.
I was out with a friend of mine who had on a white gold with meteorite dial daytona. It looks so small I thought it was a ladies watch.

I think the same of the new black dial ceramics, the white dial wears bigger in my opinion and its a nice watch I will probably buy in the future.

BUT I really don't get the fanaticism with Daytonas, again great watch but I think many others in the Rolex lineup are much better.

As far as Blue dials go. I think they're here to stay especial the Rolex blue but no one knows for sure. If you love the color now as I do, buy it and who cares what happens 10-20 years from now. There's no rule or law saying you can't sell it if it turns out to be a fad and that bothers you. I hope to get my hands on a Blue SkyD and don't see myself ever selling it.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:25 AM   #118
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Cool watch but too big for me
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:31 AM   #119
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have never heard that here.
You have now. But I'm not putting it up for inclusion in the Ten Commandments. Just reporting what has been said to me on a couple of occasions by my AD.

It's anecdotal. Nothing cancels anything else out. It's all just gossip and speculation.

Enjoyable discussion though.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:39 AM   #120
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Personally I would love a TT Sky D black dial. If some AD out there wants to offer me a blue dial Sky D, sold!!!