The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 August 2020, 02:28 PM   #1
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Gold Day Date everyday wear debate

As the thread title suggests I would like some input on this age old debate.
These are the two sides I hear a lot

1. My uncle/dad/grandfather wore their version of 180... for 25 years every day and loved it and left it to someone

2. 18k gold is to soft to wear daily and the bracelet will get tired there for should be reserved for special occasions

I appreciate the answer will be in the middle and there are many variables so let’s presume money is an object and just buying another one or endless repairs are not been done/needed

I ask because I am in the market for one potentially and an AD told me they are designed tough enough to wear daily and a private jeweller told me they’re to soft to wear while discussing 18038/18238/118238

So what say you?
MrDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:22 PM   #2
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Gold DD is fine to wear daily. If you are conscious of your watch and aren't hard on it you will be fine. IMHO

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:27 PM   #3
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

I could do a 180... as a daily but I actually ended up trading two DD40s whose weight I never got used to without some sort of on the fly adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 03:48 PM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

If you have some wrist awareness and keep it snug and clean then I'd say there is no issue with wearing gold as a daily.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:40 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The gold Day Date has been a daily wear for many since it was introduced in 1956.

I didn't know there was anything here to debate unless you are a gardener or iron worker.
Old 9 August 2020, 03:47 AM   #6
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Own a 12838 but recommend to go for the youngest 118238 for the modern clasp.

18K gold is perfect for daily wear and not butter soft as some say.
Not an issue. I wear PM daily for years.

Preventing wear is about a proper fit and keeping it clean, not only PM but also for SS.
Old 9 August 2020, 03:52 AM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

Preventing wear is about a proper fit and keeping it clean, not only PM but also for SS.
18238 with onyx or wood dial is perfect though
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:55 AM   #8
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The gold Day Date has been a daily wear for many since it was introduced in 1956.

I didn't know there was anything here to debate unless you are a gardener or iron worker.
This has been my thinking on it, on the occasions that I would be doing anything that physical I probably wouldn't be wearing a watch at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

Is there a difference in the clasp? I thought the difference was in the center links but they shared the same closing mechanism

The proper fit issue is something I suspected was an issue, I would think to tight strains them and to loose allows play that would cause accelerated wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
If you have some wrist awareness and keep it snug and clean then I'd say there is no issue with wearing gold as a daily.

I have been thinking the same, I wonder if its the same as people with new 4x4's that are obsessed with specs etc but rarely even get them dirty where as old timers worked theirs everyday and just got on with it.
They are designed and tested for their purpose I would think
Old 9 August 2020, 04:13 AM   #9
aayates
"TRF" Member

ask jack nicklaus. I believe he wore his daily for 40 years or so (but not on golf course)
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:19 AM   #10
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
ask jack nicklaus. I believe he wore his daily for 40 years or so (but not on golf course)
If you have his number i'll give him a call
Old 9 August 2020, 04:20 AM   #11
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Second that. Watch the Jack Nicklaus video on HODINKEE

There was also a member on here that posted his dads WG DD which had been in active daily use for a very long time. His dad working as a doctor.

The watch was the most beat DD I’ve ever seen by a very long way. I think he even wore it very loose too.

But it still looked incredible. Like most DDs do.

Edit
Found the post. Sorry it was platinum
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=722947
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:24 AM   #12
Bosbevok
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40 GMT II
I have worn my DD40 almost every day since I got it 2 years ago. Knocked my GMT LN off the wrist almost permanently.

Bosbevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:27 AM   #13
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I'm not happy unless I have a care-free beater to scrape around. This is what a daily has to be for me personally. It is entirely possible to daily something without scraping it around. It just isn't for me. You need to work out which of these you would be comfortable doing with a Day-Date.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:29 AM   #14
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbevok View Post
I have worn my DD40 almost every day since I got it 2 years ago. Knocked my GMT LN off the wrist almost permanently.

Cut on the miniature Schnauzer Is tight. Watch looks cracking and matches the ring.

Is it the moondust dial ?
Old 9 August 2020, 04:33 AM   #15
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDenver View Post
If you have his number i'll give him a call
Have you ever worn an 18K watch daily? Or are you just making assumptions that gold is too soft? I have daily worn my 116618LB for over 3 years now. I can tell you it holds up just fine, and I will likely wear it until I die. Many of the "gold is too soft" professor's have never even worn or owned a gold watch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:42 AM   #16
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
Try 50 years!

Impressive guy in more ways than one- living national treasure I’d say- all the proceeds of his million dollar Day Date auction went to charity.

And he still wears (another) one!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:55 AM   #17
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

I don't think Rolex would make a watch if it wasn't made to take daily wear. Those who baby their watches don't really enjoy them imo. Get one OP and wear it!
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:01 AM   #18
XBMX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona-114060 Sub
I wore my First 18k Day/Date daily for 15yrs untill it was lost during a burglary. No noticeable braclet wear to the links. My Second for seven years trouble free. My friend had a springpin fail while Offshore Tuna fishing. Went overboard in 115ft of water, he followed in in and grabbed it. True story.
XBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:04 AM   #19
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

gold is not as soft as people make it seem. i would say SS scratches just as easily if you don't care for it
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:05 AM   #20
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
No issue. By the way, 18K alloyed gold is only marginally "softer" than stainless steel. Don't mistake the alloy used in jewelry with pure 24K gold which is much softer. Also, the latest DD's have ceramic sleeves inside the links which should mitigate wear.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:08 AM   #21
bp1000
"TRF" Member

The last 2 posts identify perfectly how gold is technically softer than SS when measured but in reality anything that scratches SS will also scratch gold.

In my experience on mirrored surfaces they hold up exactly the same in normal use. Brushed hides everything pretty well!
Old 9 August 2020, 05:13 AM   #22
zjd168
"TRF" Member

the only concern will be safety in the wrong neighborhood, toughness to endure daily wearing has never been an issue at all.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:14 AM   #23
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
No problem wearing 18238 everyday, no scratches. Mine has had the internals serviced, and I had the bracelet re-worked by RolliWorks, and it's like I own a brand new 18238.

FYI, accuracy of the movement is stunning.
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:17 AM   #24
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Get it, wear it, enjoy it, no debate.
Old 9 August 2020, 05:20 AM   #25
Freespeach
"TRF" Member

My dad wore his daily for over 45 years.
He swam with it, showered with it, played tennis and golf with it. Only time it was not on was when he slept.

However his was not the normal 18K presidential. Way back when the bracket links were hollow. Not until the last 30 years or so ago were the links solid.

He bought his watch at an AD in Hong Kong who replaced his bracket at the time of sale with what was known as the Hong Kong band back then. The links were solid 18K. The only way visual way to tell the difference was on the hidden clasp. Rather than a crown it was a flat curve.

The watch has been serviced by a RSC and it is considered original both watch and band. The band however is considered Rolex authorized original, not Rolex original. Back then Rolex permitted these Hong Kong bands to be sold on Rolex watches from ADs.

After so many years of wear there is quite a bit of stretch in the band. But I guess not bad for 45+ years of daily wear.
Freespeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:26 AM   #26
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Have you ever worn an 18K watch daily? Or are you just making assumptions that gold is too soft? I have daily worn my 116618LB for over 3 years now. I can tell you it holds up just fine, and I will likely wear it until I die. Many of the "gold is too soft" professor's have never even worn or owned a gold watch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have never owned one but have received conflicting opinions from dealers.
Last week I viewed a 118238 and the AD shared the sentiment of they're made to the standard of all Rolex watches and are designed to be worn

Another dealer I was viewing a two tone Date Just and his view was the all gold was to soft to wear daily, I suspect because he did not have one for sale

I work with Nikon cameras and people baby them but they are designed to be used fully, mine see use in every weather year round and still keep on clicking however on certain forums people panic if they get some slight rain or a scratch. I am getting the impression this is the same thing here
Old 9 August 2020, 05:28 AM   #27
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbevok View Post

Excellent picture!
Old 9 August 2020, 05:29 AM   #28
MrDenver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Second that. Watch the Jack Nicklaus video on HODINKEE

There was also a member on here that posted his dads WG DD which had been in active daily use for a very long time. His dad working as a doctor.

The watch was the most beat DD I’ve ever seen by a very long way. I think he even wore it very loose too.

But it still looked incredible. Like most DDs do.

Edit
Found the post. Sorry it was platinum
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=722947
That is a great thread, I would not polish that at all.
I have a platinum wedding ring and the aging looks great on it
Old 9 August 2020, 05:34 AM   #29
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDenver View Post
I have never owned one but have received conflicting opinions from dealers.
Last week I viewed a 118238 and the AD shared the sentiment of they're made to the standard of all Rolex watches and are designed to be worn

Another dealer I was viewing a two tone Date Just and his view was the all gold was to soft to wear daily, I suspect because he did not have one for sale

I work with Nikon cameras and people baby them but they are designed to be used fully, mine see use in every weather year round and still keep on clicking however on certain forums people panic if they get some slight rain or a scratch. I am getting the impression this is the same thing here
As they say opinions are like "something else", everyone has one. But if you listen to the majority here who actually daily wear 18K you will see these watches are made to wear and enjoy just like SS and TT.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:43 AM   #30
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
President bracelet really hides scratches too, very very well. Gold oyster not so much
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote