The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 June 2018, 11:47 AM   #1
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

PAM 682 caseback issue???

it looks like the PAM 682 (42mm submersible), which had a sapphire crystal caseback since it came out, is now being sold (and shown on the website) as having a solid caseback. does anyone know anything about this?? I saw someone post on one forum that they've switched it up on account of water leakage??

i bought one a few months ago w/a crystal caseback and love it but don't love the idea that it might not be reliable? (I haven't swam deeper than a few feet with it but expect to sooner than later)
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

It’s not a technical issue - PAMs have had sapphire case backs for years with zero problems.

If, going forward, other submersibles also get solid case backs, the change will make sense. If they don’t, it’s a bit of a strange move on the 682.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:52 PM   #3
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
It’s not a technical issue - PAMs have had sapphire case backs for years with zero problems.

If, going forward, other submersibles also get solid case backs, the change will make sense. If they don’t, it’s a bit of a strange move on the 682.
apparently the 1305 also went from sapphire to solid...
Old 16 June 2018, 05:31 PM   #4
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

I posted what I’ve learned about this in another thread in this forum. You can probably find it if you search now. I’m new to posting on the forum and it seems not allowed yet to post links.

The net is Panerai customer support told me it was a creative change and not due to issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rpjp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 10:48 PM   #5
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
subs should be solid caseback imho

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:37 AM   #6
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
subs should be solid caseback imho

I’m probably in the minority with liking the exhibition caseback, but mine won’t see much if any water and I like looking at the movement from time-to-time

Old 17 June 2018, 01:58 AM   #7
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjp3 View Post
I’m probably in the minority with liking the exhibition caseback, but mine won’t see much if any water and I like looking at the movement from time-to-time

I actually prefer the exhibition caseback on this watch myself, and find the relatively minimal finishing kind of cool looking and underrated; was just worried there was a water resistance issue but I guess I feel better now (maybe?)....
Old 17 June 2018, 03:25 PM   #8
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
it looks like the PAM 682 (42mm submersible), which had a sapphire crystal caseback since it came out, is now being sold (and shown on the website) as having a solid caseback. does anyone know anything about this?? I saw someone post on one forum that they've switched it up on account of water leakage??

i bought one a few months ago w/a crystal caseback and love it but don't love the idea that it might not be reliable? (I haven't swam deeper than a few feet with it but expect to sooner than later)
I went to the Panerai boutique today in L.A. and tried on the 682, as it was a watch I was sure I was going to get.

I loved the look of the watch in person, but have decided against purchasing it for a couple of other reasons.

To your point, I noticed that it had a solid caseback, and like you, thought it was supposed to have a clear caseback instead, based on what I had seen in pics and on the website. When I asked the salesman about it, he simply said that "like all other submersibles, it has a solid caseback."
I didn't press the issue, because for a moment I thought I was losing it and had been mistaken, and that maybe it had never had a clear caseback.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 01:23 AM   #9
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
I went to the Panerai boutique today in L.A. and tried on the 682, as it was a watch I was sure I was going to get.

I loved the look of the watch in person, but have decided against purchasing it for a couple of other reasons.

To your point, I noticed that it had a solid caseback, and like you, thought it was supposed to have a clear caseback instead, based on what I had seen in pics and on the website. When I asked the salesman about it, he simply said that "like all other submersibles, it has a solid caseback."
I didn't press the issue, because for a moment I thought I was losing it and had been mistaken, and that maybe it had never had a clear caseback.
well that’s kind of annoying on their part...
Old 18 June 2018, 01:57 AM   #10
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

PAM 682 caseback issue???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post

If you like the watch and really just want an exhibition caseback, I would strongly recommend calling ADs across the US to see if someone still has one. That’s what I did, and I found one new at an AD just last week. I haven’t even worn it yet as I’m waiting for new straps:-)

I can’t recall for sure, but as of a couple of weeks ago I think Ben Bridge in Seattle may also have still had one.

When you call just confirm it’s a “T” series with exhibition caseback.

Old 18 June 2018, 02:00 AM   #11
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you like the watch and really just want an exhibition caseback, I would strongly recommend calling ADs across the US to see if someone still has one. That’s what I did, and I found one new at an AD just last week. I haven’t even worn it yet as I’m waiting for new straps:-)

I can’t recall for sure, but as of a couple of weeks ago I think Ben Bridge in Seattle may also have still had one.

Old 18 June 2018, 05:23 AM   #12
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I just spoke with Mike at Ben Bridge, AD in Seattle. They still have a new “T” series with the exhibition caseback if anyone is still looking for one. I have no affiliation. I’m just passing along the info.

Old 18 June 2018, 02:01 PM   #13
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:

Thanks--much appreciated. I'm not going to pull the trigger on the 682, as I didn't like the feel/weight of the watch. If that same watch came in titanium, I would be all over it.

Perhaps the OP might be interested in pursuing your lead at BB.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 03:04 PM   #14
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

I looked and tried on both and went with a T series 1305 about 7 months ago. Fits/looks better IMO over the 682 and titanium. Beautiful piece!
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 04:17 PM   #15
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
I looked and tried on both and went with a T series 1305 about 7 months ago. Fits/looks better IMO over the 682 and titanium. Beautiful piece!

I would like to have a larger dial on my sub, but the lug-to-lug length on the 1305 was unfortunately way too much for my wrist. The 24/25 might also work for a small wrist. They fit me, but I much prefer the dial of the 682. It is a little small though relative to other similar models.

I don’t think there are other 44mm submersibles, are there?
Old 19 June 2018, 12:36 AM   #16
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
I don’t think there are other 44mm submersibles, are there?
pam 24/25 are 44mm

https://www.essential-watches.com/wa...ack-Dial/19248

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:28 PM   #17
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Right. I meant other than those two