The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2016, 02:27 PM   #31
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
My first nice watch was a Tag. That was the beginning of a long, educational, and enjoyable journey, and I don't regret starting there; it's what I was able to afford at that time.

I venture to say buyers of this watch will eventually move up the proverbial horological ladder. And if this watch brings new buyers into the mechanical watch market, I think that's a good thing.

My 2-cents...
Old 27 May 2016, 03:11 PM   #32
Rachaphon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Everyone got to start somewhere I guess. There was a time where I only wanted a Tag or an Omega. That time is long gone though. However, I wouldn't mind owning this tag at all! look great to me. I wouldn't mind wearing it for a beater.
Rachaphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 09:52 PM   #33
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalPragmatist View Post
Are we sure that TAG didn't get acquire the tourbillion from Seiko like they did the Cal. 1887 in 2009?
I’m totally confident Seiko did not let TAG Heuer have their one and only Tourbillon.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 10:49 PM   #34
Stuxnet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
these tourbillons will be selling for $5000 in 2 years on the secondary market, neat watches but nobody should confuse these with anything that has long term value retention
There is no secondary market for TAG watches. And there probably never will be a secondary market for TAG watches.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 10:53 PM   #35
KarlS
Banned

yes selling all my Pateks so I can get a Tag
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 11:00 PM   #36
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970g
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
If Thierry wasn’t concern in the slightest, then why did he feel the need to give commentary on TAG Heuer, citing them as selling it too cheaply?

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/patek-ph...cheap/42026588
Agree. Seems like TAG hit a nerve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Men's Wearhouse just blew up the luxury suit market. No more Tom Ford for me! Whoo hoo! Cheap suits for everyone!!
Yes except Tom Ford isn't making public statements about men's warehouse being a "joke". I think sounding rattled is very negative for pricing because guys like me that are thinking of buying a watch like a 5270 start to wonder if we'd be suckers for doing so.
roma1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 11:45 PM   #37
Socal to az
Banned

So you are seriously comparing buying a 5270 to a tag? By all means go for it. Buy the tag. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that it will have zero affect on Patek. I mean less than zero.

If you don't understand that then I can't explain it any better.m as stated above- there is zero secondary market for a tag yet in 5, 10, 20 years from now, you could sell the 5270 for the same or more than what you paid for it. Whereas with the tag- did you read the part about no secondary market?
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 01:57 AM   #38
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
but at the end of the day, a tourbillon is a tourbillon, is a tourbillon.
The difference here is the brand name attached to it – plain and simple.
Should I buy a 5170, Datograph or go for one of those juicy 7750's? A chronograph is a chronograph....
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 02:16 AM   #39
Royalex
"TRF" Member

It looks similar to Hublot.
Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 02:21 AM   #40
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Old 28 May 2016, 02:46 AM   #41
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalex View Post
It looks similar to Hublot.
Hmmmm, I wonder why. For a man with a huge collection of desirable PPs, Biver has terrible taste when it comes to designing watches. Why must everything be enormous, and look like it's aimed at the adolescent market?
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 02:49 AM   #42
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Now I'm trying to understand how Rolls Royce survives when you cay buy a Nissan Versa for 10k. Why does any other car manufacturer even bother?

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 02:55 AM   #43
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you are seriously comparing buying a 5270 to a tag? By all means go for it. Buy the tag. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that it will have zero affect on Patek. I mean less than zero.

If you don't understand that then I can't explain it any better.m as stated above- there is zero secondary market for a tag yet in 5, 10, 20 years from now, you could sell the 5270 for the same or more than what you paid for it. Whereas with the tag- did you read the part about no secondary market?
Thank you for the feedback and thank you everyone else for the comments so far too. No, obviously I am not comparing a TAG to a Patek and I am clearly being a bit provocative in the questioning. But the truth is, I am concerned about Thierry Stern dignifying the TAG tourbillion issue with any comments. If I spend $500,000 on a 5207p I don't really want the President of the company sounding like he is concerned with a watch which costs a tiny fraction of the timepiece I have just invested in. Maybe he was drawn into the comment and maybe he now regrets it, but it was a mistake, plain and simple. If he's rattled, I'm rattled.
Old 28 May 2016, 02:57 AM   #44
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Should I buy a 5170, Datograph or go for one of those juicy 7750's? A chronograph is a chronograph....
Whichever one gives you that fluffy feeling in the morning, when you put it on.
Each will let you time how long your eggs have been boiling for.

A rattrapante is preferable if you and the mrs (or mr) don’t like your eggs the same.

And if you like to watch your chrono minutes hand, then you might prefer the Seiko 8R48, with it’s triple column wheel, thereby ensuring a smooth sweep between minutes rather than jumping from one to the next.

Anything else you’d like my help with deciding on?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 03:00 AM   #45
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma1280 View Post
Has TAG blown the market up with its 02T tourbillion watch for $16k?
Does the emperor have no clothes? Is the cat out of the bag, that these watches aren't worth $50,000 to $100,000?
Will multi hundred thousand Pateks stop selling?
Are Pateks way overpriced?
All very loaded questions of course, but interested in opinions.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/Th...rera-Heuer-02T
Hyundai builds a car for far less than a Rolls Royce.

It has not blown up the car market and I do not think Rolls Royce is worried at all.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 03:07 AM   #46
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post
Now I'm trying to understand how Rolls Royce survives when you cay buy a Nissan Versa for 10k. Why does any other car manufacturer even bother?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Hyundai builds a car for far less than a Rolls Royce.

It has not blown up the car market and I do not think Rolls Royce is worried at all.
The President of RR is not sounding like he is rattled by Hyundai and Nissan!
Old 28 May 2016, 03:19 AM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Men's Wearhouse just blew up the luxury suit market. No more Tom Ford for me! Whoo hoo! Cheap suits for everyone!!

Oh wait, never mind.

OP seems to be seeking validation for the pricing on high end watches only to point out all the reasons the prices are insane.

There's no logic in this game. It's a hobby of passion. Strictly for lunatics.
Old 28 May 2016, 03:20 AM   #48
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Has TAG just blown up the expensive swiss watch market?

NOPE.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 03:38 AM   #49
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

OP seems to be seeking validation for the pricing on high end watches only to point out all the reasons the prices are insane.

There's no logic in this game. It's a hobby of passion. Strictly for lunatics.
I'm fine with being a lunatic, I own old cars that make no sense. But I guess I am seeking some validation that if I spend $135,000 on a new 5270 that three years from now I'm not going to have lost half my money because the president of the company has made silly comments that have spooked collectors.
Old 28 May 2016, 04:00 AM   #50
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma1280 View Post
I am concerned about Thierry Stern dignifying the TAG tourbillion issue with any comments. If I spend $500,000 on a 5207p I don't really want the President of the company sounding like he is concerned with a watch which costs a tiny fraction of the timepiece I have just invested in. Maybe he was drawn into the comment and maybe he now regrets it, but it was a mistake, plain and simple. If he's rattled, I'm rattled.
Stern was asked about it and said that the TAG Tourbillion is "nearly a joke to me . . . if they're willing to try to kill the quality of the Swiss product, I think they're on a very good track."

So he expressly stated that TAG is making a laughably inferior product and in the same interview, he took a shot at TAG for making smartwatches. So he's clearly ridiculing them and I'm guessing the only person who got rattled was Biver considering he has a fine collection of Patek watches. Stern could have refused to address the question but than some would speculate that he was worried about it.
RationalPragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 04:09 AM   #51
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Whichever one gives you that fluffy feeling in the morning, when you put it on.
Each will let you time how long your eggs have been boiling for.

A rattrapante is preferable if you and the mrs (or mr) don’t like your eggs the same.

And if you like to watch your chrono minutes hand, then you might prefer the Seiko 8R48, with it’s triple column wheel, thereby ensuring a smooth sweep between minutes rather than jumping from one to the next.

Anything else you’d like my help with deciding on?

I get your point. But I hope you understood my comment as well. It's a 15k tag, yes the complication is the same, but it will be a completely different league than say a Patek tourbillon.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 04:37 AM   #52
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:

I think it's preferable for a chrono minute hand to jump when each minute is up.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 04:52 AM   #53
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Even take a zero off, TAG could make a tourbillon watch for $1600 and I still wouldn't be interested in the slightest.

I would be interested to see how long they last before they start falling to bits, like with parts rattling around like on some of Their newer models as reported. Would also be interesting to see what the service cost is on this in a couple of years.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 05:00 AM   #54
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

A simple "no" to all of the OPs curiously posed questions.
That's my answer and I'm sticking to it

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 05:48 AM   #55
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post

Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 08:36 AM   #56
andynj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
All the analogies to Rolls Royce/ Hyundai etc are plainly missing the point. No one is suggesting that Tag can hold a candle to PP or VC etc .

I think what "Roma1280" is quite rightly asking is that the premiums for these watches are, perhaps, way too high. Plainly there is, and should be, a premium.

As always, the "market" will decide but perhaps the 02T may give the "market" something to think about.
andynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 11:14 AM   #57
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

3D scanning / reverse engineering and then precision producing parts is getting easier and less expensive with each passing year. Everything from NLA car parts to tiny high-precision parts are very easy to replicate. Furthermore, you can easily tweak a part via computer modeling before you make it. This is how many companies now do fast prototyping :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 06:33 PM   #58
GMT13
"TRF" Member

I think the Heuer Autavia cup winner will change the market more than the Tag Tourb.

The Tag is still not inexpensive enough to put in reach of the mass market non WIS.
GMT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 09:18 PM   #59
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by andynj View Post
All the analogies to Rolls Royce/ Hyundai etc are plainly missing the point. No one is suggesting that Tag can hold a candle to PP or VC etc .

I think what "Roma1280" is quite rightly asking is that the premiums for these watches are, perhaps, way too high. Plainly there is, and should be, a premium.

As always, the "market" will decide but perhaps the 02T may give the "market" something to think about.

And again I disagree.

There is a premium with a Patek for a reason. No point was missed at all.

Those who want a Tag should buy one. Those who want a Patek understand the difference.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 09:26 PM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
My first nice watch was a Tag. That was the beginning of a long, educational, and enjoyable journey, and I don't regret starting there; it's what I was able to afford at that time.

I venture to say buyers of this watch will eventually move up the proverbial horological ladder. And if this watch brings new buyers into the mechanical watch market, I think that's a good thing.

My 2-cents...
Well said Stephen, I agree
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote