The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 December 2017, 04:44 AM   #1
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
White Nautilus price

With Chronext, a big Euro dealer, price of white 5711 is now above a WG 5711, altho it is preowned. Prices are rising weekly, for eg the 5164 moved up £2K in the last week, was under £26K then. 5167 has hit £20K, retail is £14K I believe.

https://www.chronext.co.uk/buy?q=5711
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 04:57 AM   #2
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

There's no way those asks are getting hit, though. Hell, I found 3 5711r's last month for 48k in the US; that site is asking for 56k used? Nah.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 05:01 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
There's no way those asks are getting hit, though. Hell, I found 3 5711r's last month for 48k in the US; that site is asking for 56k used? Nah.
If people are paying those prices they are nuts. I just picked up a 5164 from an actual AD for $6000 less than what they are asking and I found two of them around that price in no time at all.
Old 7 December 2017, 06:24 AM   #4
Erod24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If people are paying those prices they are nuts. I just picked up a 5164 from an actual AD for $6000 less than what they are asking and I found two of them around that price in no time at all.
pls introduce me to your AD my AD isn't giving me any love lol
Erod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 09:44 AM   #5
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Preowned blue 5711 from Davidsw at 37.5
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 09:59 AM   #6
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
With Chronext, a big Euro dealer, price of white 5711 is now above a WG 5711, altho it is preowned. Prices are rising weekly, for eg the 5164 moved up £2K in the last week, was under £26K then. 5167 has hit £20K, retail is £14K I believe.

https://www.chronext.co.uk/buy?q=5711
Christ - would let my 5167 go in a heartbeat for that and get on the list for a 5164 which would prob be similar with the VAT refund!!

Watchcentre had a unworn 5164 the other day for 26k if anybody was after one
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 11:23 AM   #7
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

there are some which never pay attention on the market price and simply just want to get a 5711
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 11:49 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Christ - would let my 5167 go in a heartbeat for that and get on the list for a 5164 which would prob be similar with the VAT refund!!

Watchcentre had a unworn 5164 the other day for 26k if anybody was after one
Like I said this could be a time for upgrading.
Old 7 December 2017, 11:51 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Congrats, Tom. That's how things were here a couple of years ago, but the UK is the forerunner for everywhere else now so enjoy it while it lasts. You could get a good discount on the white Nautilus then too, now it is £10K above retail.
Old 7 December 2017, 12:03 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Congrats, Tom. That's how things were here a couple of years ago, but the UK is the forerunner for everywhere else now so enjoy it while it lasts. You could get a good discount on the white Nautilus then too, now it is £10K above retail.
Nothing but love for you my friend but I don’t think the UK market is indicative of other markets. In my estimation it’s been a wild market there post brexit as foreign money came pouring in to gobble up the inventory at the favorable exchange. Then brands made currency adjustments meanwhile the pound has slowly been creeping higher all year.

In my opinion it doesn’t help that all your retailers are servicing high net worth collectors from home and abroad. In the states there are some 90 Patek ADs and they sure as heck don’t all have foreign billionaires on the client list

Put another way if I had to do all my Patek shopping in NYC I’d be SOL as well.
Old 7 December 2017, 12:55 PM   #11
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Let's just watch the sealed 5711 blow through $50k at Christies tomorrow.

How many would be surprised at that?
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 01:55 PM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post

I wouldn’t at all. People tend to overpay at auctions, particularly for things like that.
Old 7 December 2017, 03:52 PM   #13
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

I believe that Patek is deliberately limiting the supply for some reason. Whether they are introducing a newer version next year, I don’t know. I know at least 2 retailers who receive 3 white 5711s every year. After receiving the first white 5711 around March, they haven’t received the remaining two for the year. Same may be the case with the blue dial. I only know about the white dial because although I am on the waitlist for both dial colors, I usually follow up for the white dial as it is my first preference.

Further, we haven’t seen any U.S. member posting a new 5711 in the recent weeks or I may have missed.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 06:03 PM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
indeed it is. Its pretty much true in almost every hard to get watch over the past couple of years. UK feels the squeeze first and the pricing seems like an anomaly initially, and then it spreads to other markets. The UK is the canary in the coal mine.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 10:43 PM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nothing but love for you my friend but I don’t think the UK market is indicative of other markets. In my estimation it’s been a wild market there post brexit as foreign money came pouring in to gobble up the inventory at the favorable exchange. Then brands made currency adjustments meanwhile the pound has slowly been creeping higher all year.

In my opinion it doesn’t help that all your retailers are servicing high net worth collectors from home and abroad. In the states there are some 90 Patek ADs and they sure as heck don’t all have foreign billionaires on the client list

Put another way if I had to do all my Patek shopping in NYC I’d be SOL as well.
As Tyler says it isn't just Brexit as most foreigners can't buy anymore, the UK just seems to set the tone and then other countries have followed particularly for Rolex and PP as supply is squeezed here first. US is a bigger market so it takes longer to show there. I see Davidsw has a blue Naut for sale for $37K which is £27K so that's already £8K above retail, here it is £32K. Sports prices are only heading one way while TS is in charge, and the UK is like the futures market at the moment.
Old 8 December 2017, 01:28 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As Tyler says it isn't just Brexit as most foreigners can't buy anymore, the UK just seems to set the tone and then other countries have followed particularly for Rolex and PP as supply is squeezed here first. US is a bigger market so it takes longer to show there. I see Davidsw has a blue Naut for sale for $37K which is £27K so that's already £8K above retail, here it is £32K. Sports prices are only heading one way while TS is in charge, and the UK is like the futures market at the moment.
Correction, US is now overtaking the UK, Hulk now selling for $15K here...
Old 8 December 2017, 02:35 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We will just have to agree to disagree and revisit the topic next spring.

I honestly don’t believe the US will ever experience the level of scarcity that the UK does just based on sheer number of retail outlets alone. Time will tell
Old 8 December 2017, 02:38 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We will just have to agree to disagree and revisit the topic next spring.

I honestly don’t believe the US will ever experience the level of scarcity that the UK does just based on sheer number of retail outlets alone. Time will tell
Uk has more retail outlets per capita though so we have more Pateks per person. I know its not the only factor, but the US being the largest market is true but it is underserved more so than the UK so the potential for scarcity is probably higher in the states.

Its 41 outlets in the Uk vs 90 in the US. The US is 5X the population with only 2X the AD's. Your availability might be great now, but it isn't built on an abundance of dealers and when demand takes off its a recipe for trouble.
Old 8 December 2017, 02:53 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Uk has more retail outlets per capita though so we have more Pateks per person. I know its not the only factor, but the US being the largest market is true but it is underserved more so than the UK so the potential for scarcity is probably higher in the states.

Its 41 outlets in the Uk vs 90 in the US. The US is 5X the population with only 2X the AD's
That’s a good point Tyler. I gather them being more geographically accessible plays a part? Idk but I gather being closer the the Middle East £€$ doesn’t help your cause.

Above all else, I honestly believe this lunacy is little more than a dead cat bounce. I don’t believe the future of fine watches is this rosy.
Old 8 December 2017, 02:58 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s a good point Tyler. I gather them being more geographically accessible plays a part? Idk but I gather being closer the the Middle East £€$ doesn’t help your cause.

Above all else, I honestly believe this lunacy is little more than a dead cat bounce. I don’t believe the future of fine watches is this rosy.
i agree. Personally i think all watch companies need to make what people want to buy, as the future isnt great. I just think perspective is important too. Patek themselves always talk about the US being their most important market, but is it? I dont think it is. Less AD's per capita and more availability is worrying actually.
Old 8 December 2017, 11:06 AM   #21
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Well, I was wrong. $43.75k.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 11:54 AM   #22
willski
"TRF" Member

What I heard from someone in the watch world is that the scarcity, particularly in 2H 2017, could be a factor of two things:

1) They used 600 324S movements for the 5522 (movements which could have gone into 5711 or 5167s).

2) They have a target proportion of SS watches they want as part of their annual production; the 600 SS 5522s ‘ate’ into that proportion leaving less room for SS Nautilus and Aquanauts.

Again, this is not some verified source just someone in the industry so take it as you will. Nonetheless however, I could see (2) playing a factor and it will be interesting to see what happens in 1H 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:35 PM   #23
Erod24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay (eire) View Post
let's just watch the sealed 5711 blow through $50k at christies tomorrow.

$43,750
Old 8 December 2017, 12:37 PM   #24
Erod24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I was wrong. $43.75k.
Blue Mayb would of gotten 50k
Old 21 November 2020, 10:21 AM   #25
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Preowned blue 5711 from Davidsw at 37.5
old thread and before i got interested in patek but man. that’s be a deal today wouldn’t it?! good thing i like 5167a more.
Old 21 November 2020, 10:37 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Sadly everything we thought a few years ago has come to pass and then some.
Old 22 November 2020, 03:31 AM   #27
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sadly everything we thought a few years ago has come to pass and then some.
yeah for sure. whoever bought the 5711 from david sw for $37k and change probably feels very happy today if they still own it.
Old 22 November 2020, 06:55 AM   #28
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
For once, I realized this was an old thread immediately, lol. But it was interesting to read. Amazing how much “worse” it got in 3 years. The only rei put worse in quotes is that perhaps long time owners are happy about the price skyrocketing.
Old 22 November 2020, 07:28 AM   #29
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
It’s on my shortlist but sadly difficult to justify. Never gave it a second thought until I had a chance to see it 8n person at a local watch gathering.

For what it’s worth the also discontinued Rolex white dial OP39 has a similarly compelling dial in person, again I did not appreciate until seen in person.
Old 22 November 2020, 10:09 AM   #30
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

blue 5711s were like 26k in 2015 or 2016, it's crazy and why i always laugh when newer members say rolexes/pateks always go up in value yet no one wanted to buy these 4 years ago
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote