The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 February 2019, 08:10 PM   #121
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
The real per capita household disposable income across China averages at 21,586.95 yuan. That is roughly $3,200 USD; the amount the entire family has to rely on for things they need and want for an entire year.

I highly doubt splurging on Rolexes is high on their household budget.
It's clearly not the Chinese "middle class" buying Pateks or driving Bentleys (on credit or not) as some earlier posts suggested.

A more relevant number may be the number of new millionaires (net worth, in USD), which is estimated to be ~1000/day in China over the next 5 years. That's a lot of potential Rolex customers. Why are they buying SS professional models? Seems FOMO works the same in China as for many here on TRF.
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 08:18 PM   #122
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudplay View Post

A more relevant number may be the number of new millionaires (net worth, in USD), which is estimated to be ~1000/day in China over the next 5 years
1000 a day? Where do I sign up exactly?

The people becoming millionaires, does their worth keep growing at that rate? So it's not just someone who has 1-2 million and that's it. But will he be making 500k-1 million a year and ending up with a net worth of +20 million?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 08:18 PM   #123
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDweller50 View Post
That’s because they’ve switched on to the fact that they are one of the most unreliable cars on the road today. Toyota and Suzuki being the most reliable.
Yeah - I’m not having that for a second. No Suzuki or Toyota gets close to a Range Rover (forget the Evoque). You’re telling me somebody that can put $100k plus down on a new 4x4 is going to go for a landcruiser or Prado instead?

Incidentally JLR sales in the US are up 21% in the year.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 09:04 PM   #124
mml4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Clearly as other countries industrialize demand will go up, and the number of folks meeting criteria for millionaire status has grown exponentionally. As far as supply, rolex can increase supply but is supply the real issue? Seems to be I can go to any number of friendly neighborhood gray dealers and get exactly what i want. So this points to an issue with the model of how AD’s manage their stock. Rolex has to balance the appearance of exclusivity (though not really if one has the means) without over supply. Given the stock of rolexes that gray dealers have, a case can be made that there are plenty floating around. Though we hear about these waiting lists, the forum here is full of posts with happy folks receiving their gmt and Daytona’s. The appearance of exclusivity one can say is part of the appeal.
Precisely!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 09:38 PM   #125
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
One thing that I believe people tend to skim over is the sheer number of people in China and India. Each country has a population of around 1.4 billion people. With a combined population of nearly 3 billion people, this can create demand. This is the part that I think people fail to realize......but this should help to put it into perspective......

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
china , stainless steel