The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 May 2021, 09:55 AM   #61
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Expert View Post
You can get steel Daytona at half the price, then get another Patek Calatrava brand new at less than quarter the price.

And you still have money to buy a Mazda Miata Cabriolet to drive and show off your watch while driving around the town.

Buying Patek Nautilus at market price is same as buying brand new Hublot or Jacob Co. You will be stuck and never be able resell for long time. There will be less and less idiotic collectors that spend $100k for used steel sport watch , when you can get stunning brand new steel Daytona at less than half the price.
Well, that’s just mean.

And for certain based on perspective. So many folks in the Rolex forums think that people paying market for Daytona’s are idiots. (I’m not one of them).

It’s all a matter of perspective.

And even more so, everyone’s own individual situation, infatuation with money and their return, and what they are comfortable with.

Do I want my watches to lose value? No, course not. But I don’t spend too much time wondering if they will. It’s a factor, sure. But not the deciding factor.

Personally, I love Miatas. But I’ll take my lambo and my 5980 any day over a Daytona and a Miata.

Likely I’m the idiot. But it doesn’t feel like it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 12:31 PM   #62
Watch Expert
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Well, that’s just mean.

And for certain based on perspective. So many folks in the Rolex forums think that people paying market for Daytona’s are idiots. (I’m not one of them).

It’s all a matter of perspective.

And even more so, everyone’s own individual situation, infatuation with money and their return, and what they are comfortable with.

Do I want my watches to lose value? No, course not. But I don’t spend too much time wondering if they will. It’s a factor, sure. But not the deciding factor.

Personally, I love Miatas. But I’ll take my lambo and my 5980 any day over a Daytona and a Miata.

Likely I’m the idiot. But it doesn’t feel like it.

Rather than lambo with 5980 ; I think a Ferrari with RM will definitely better combo.
Watch Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 12:51 PM   #63
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Expert View Post
Rather than lambo with 5980 ; I think a Ferrari with RM will definitely better combo.
Again. Perspective, priorities and taste.

I would not wear an RM if it was given to me. Just not my style. Though I do think they look good on others. And I certainly don’t begrudge them paying market.

Now Ferrari? Depends which one.

But your response completely negates your first one. Or your just want to be contrary. Boring.

Old 18 May 2021, 01:19 PM   #64
Watch Expert
Banned

Yes, watches is matter of preference and budget
I have known very successful entrepreneurs prefer Grand Seiko and Citizen Ecodrive over any Rolex. And I respect their choice.
Old 18 May 2021, 01:48 PM   #65
S``
"TRF" Member

I drove a Honda Accord and wears a 5711. Now, I take public transportation and wears my ROC 26300st or 5711... On the weekends, I wear my slippers and cargo pants while wearing my watches... Really... Who cares?? I am neither a car man nor an affluent man... Held on to these steel watches despite the constant "bubble" calls that made some people sell ... Apparently the "experts" been wrong, and I've been rewarded with paper gains... Will I sell? Probably if I need the money, but right now... I just enjoy wearing them...

PS: My eldest sister who isn't a watchnut told me to not liquidate my 5711 when I went for grad school... She mentioned that if Kevin O'Leary (the same Mr wonderful that was criticized here for hyping) love his, I should hold on... Because she said I would never be able to replace it at retail from an AD... Apparently the watch noob/novice is more accurate than the so called "experts" predicting bubbles here on TRF...

Lesson is simple, if you have no skin in the game, you can call a bubble and be eventually right one day while being wrong for the remaining days
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 09:46 PM   #66
RedGlasses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Long time members were buying these for 22-24k all day.... not worth that! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At that time I was hunting one for retail at a salon, and didn't purchase it at any greys. It's just bad that Patek don't reward people who were on the list for 1 before their ultra scarcity strategy, even 6/7 years after...
I still don't have 1 and even if I had the money to get it at a grey right now, I WOULD NOT do it.
As collectors, or fans, we have to put ourselves some boundaries, and that's how WE can make grey market goes down.
RedGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 10:34 PM   #67
S``
"TRF" Member

Unless you have a time machine... What is the use of griping against the market... Should we also boycott Facebook so that we could buy the stock at $16 again??? Would you even buy it (Facebook or 5711 in this case), if prices drop that low again... Geez...
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 01:24 AM   #68
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Quote:
Again. Perspective, priorities and taste.

I would not wear an RM if it was given to me. Just not my style. Though I do think they look good on others. And I certainly don’t begrudge them paying market.

Now Ferrari? Depends which one.

But your response completely negates your first one. Or your just want to be contrary. Boring.
Agreed, wouldn't wear an RM EVER, that's a watch I just don't understand at all. Owning both Lamborghini and Ferrari they are both great in their own ways. I'd always pay 100k for a 5711 before 250k for an RM
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 05:47 AM   #69
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek World Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Agreed, wouldn't wear an RM EVER, that's a watch I just don't understand at all. Owning both Lamborghini and Ferrari they are both great in their own ways. I'd always pay 100k for a 5711 before 250k for an RM
If you only have $300k to spend for a watch, buying 5711 will prohibit you getting RM
Simon.DGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:16 AM   #70
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Shucks I guess I won't be getting an RM
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:31 AM   #71
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

You know why Used Watch Dealers don’t like promoting Rolex? There is high demand and no stock available
You know why no one talk much about RM? There is absolutely no stock as it is 100% boutique only; you can’t even play games with RM, like you need to buy $200k of junk before you can secure an RM.
Old 19 May 2021, 07:09 AM   #72
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

So do we all agree $105k (£74k) for a blue 5711 is a fair price?
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 08:15 AM   #73
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
So do we all agree $105k (£74k) for a blue 5711 is a fair price?
Appears market value to me. Seems fair.

Old 19 May 2021, 04:03 PM   #74
Becweb
Banned

I would definitely do it. It's a great watch, completely undervalued even at 100k USD and definitely as price-commending as tourbillons, minute repeaters and perpetual calendars, of course.
Do it in a heartbeat and never look back, it's a great investment and a steal at this price...
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 04:36 PM   #75
Watch Expert
Banned

If you need to buy 5711, contact David SW
Old 19 May 2021, 07:14 PM   #76
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
I would definitely do it. It's a great watch, completely undervalued even at 100k USD and definitely as price-commending as tourbillons, minute repeaters and perpetual calendars, of course.
Do it in a heartbeat and never look back, it's a great investment and a steal at this price...
Well put, and thanks for clarifying and simplifying this discussion.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 09:20 PM   #77
drgoro
"TRF" Member

The nautilus line is just too thin and fragile looking for my taste , I couldn’t get along with it. I passed on a 5712 before all this non-sense started because I had previously owned (for a very short time) an aquanaut which I did not enjoy. I doubt the 5711 and 5712 prices will remain inflated. Most people I know only have interest in one because it’s ‘investment grade’ in their eyes. Folks looking to park excess cash in something they don’t fully understand or worse even love but do it anyway because ‘everyone’ else is buying them up, they’ll lose interest and won’t even have some thing they can enjoy. It’s a bubble..just like Rolex, if a bubble were apparent it wouldn’t be a bubble, there is no natural prescribed time line for a bubble, it ends ABRUPTLY, that’s why people get a false and of security. Get out while on you can lol, don’t be that last hold out. Sorry if you just found my post in 2022 and your $105k 5711 didn’t get any bids because the last one sold for $23k after 2 months. But then again what do I know? I love 47mm APs lol...my point is buy what you like and keep in mind that if you lose money it was lost money the minute you spent it...$100k or $5, that’s the only reason to buy a 5711 for $105k....If you have the pockets for it.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 09:27 PM   #78
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
See?
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 10:13 PM   #79
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice watch, certainly not worth the current market price to my eyes, especially when compared to amazing other models from Patek even. I would say don't buy it, unless you are absolutely sure you love it and are not following the hype.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 01:30 AM   #80
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
I just bought a 5980 at market price. 2012 in flawless shape. Last service was in 2017. All documentation included.

It took me a few weeks to pull the trigger. But I wanted the watch, so I did it. Is it worth it? So far, absolutely.

I have no plans to sell. I hope the value doesn’t decrease, but if it does, it will be okay by me. Every time I saw a full SS nautilus, I was smitten. I had one concern about no micro adjustment on the bracelet, but I’ll get over that.

Life is short. If the parting of the money doesn’t effect you today, or your plans for tomorrow, go for it.

Besides, with inflation, having hard assets is typically helpful. Cash becomes less valuable. And inflation is most certainly here. Just my thoughts.
congrats again my brother! That watch is truly incredible.

It seems like the real question here isn't is the watch (5711) "worth it", it's will it take a huge dump in value? Which I know isn't exactly a favorable topic around TRF. But I personally don't see why it's so taboo. It's a fair question to ask.

No one buys a watch like this and wants the value take a downturn. IMO if the value of either of these watches drop, it won't be enough to really hurt someone in the position to be spending $100k+ on a watch to begin with. People talk about the market dropping, but this watch will NEVER go back down to retail value. In the worst case it drops back down to 75-80k. That IMO is also unlikely. No crystal ball here, but remember no one here has a crystal ball.

That said, I just don't see these values dropping, but for perspective, if they continue to climb (which is more likely) there's a point where many of us get priced out. Personally, I'm not shopping for $100k watches just yet (I'm close). But recently I decided I'm tired of getting priced out of watches that keep climbing. I picked up a white daytona back in November, picked up a 5167 in December, a 15202 in March. All three of those watches have jumped up (some more than others) in value.

I don't bring this to you to brag or talk about "investment", I mention it cause each of those watches was a little bit of a stretch for me at the time, but at current market value (5/19/21) I'm probably not a buyer for any of them.

I'm rambling, bottom line, I wouldn't delay. If you can afford it, if you love the watch, BUY IT!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 07:08 PM   #81
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

‘Sell your Rolex fast and get a 5711” it is "worth it", we don't see these 5711 values dropping, even no one actually buy or sell.
Old 20 May 2021, 07:11 PM   #82
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

Wisest advise for fool “ Cash becomes less valuable. so if you can afford it, if you love the watch, BUY IT”
Old 21 May 2021, 03:13 AM   #83
Robine
Banned

If i remember correctly, the 5711 does not have a value sub-dial on the dial, so just wear it, the "value" will not show.
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 05:31 AM   #84
alika
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Almost x4 from msrp?
I wouldn’t do it.
However its your call and $
alika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 04:43 PM   #85
Xerxes77
Banned