The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2014, 03:07 PM   #1
WANNAMILGAUSS
Banned

Help Panerai newbie with model selection

Ok I am looking for a watch that I can jump in my pool with and not worry too much about it.

The model I am looking at is like this watch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panerai-Lumi...item43cbee034a

Ok so can someone explain this model to me. What I mean is Panerai has so many models your head can spin. 120 means?? Good inner workings??

Basically if you can tell me if this model is worthwhile or to look at something else. I don't want to wind up with the Panerai that nobody wants, thinking of resale.

How would the 40mm wear compare to say a Sub?

I appreciate the help!

Thanks
WANNAMILGAUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 02:37 AM   #2
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
My opinion:

If you want to jump in a pool and not worry about your watch, like scratching, I would get a G Shock Casio for that. Of course the PAM can take the water no problem, but scraping against the concrete, it would loose every battle!

As far as resale, the 40mm PAM's don't hold up that well. If you can handle a 44mm that would be better. Also most PAM's these days don't really hold value so much. If I paid retail plus tax for say my 90, I would be paying $7,500plus tax around $8,200. I got mine new off a grey dealer for $6,100. If I wear the hell out of it for 5 years and it has scratches ect. I might be able to get $4,500 if I am lucky. Better to lose $1,600 than $$3,700.

Buy the watch you like and plan on keeping for a long time and enjoy it. I personally don't like TI that much because I think Steal looks and feels more like a watch. Good luck with you purchase and inbox me if you want to know where a safe an honest place is to purchase an awesome Panerai!!! (And it's NOT E-bay)
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 02:49 AM   #3
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Models:

Picking out a Panerai you have to ask yourself what do you want in a watch:

Automatic or manual.
Open case back or solid.
Bracelet or strap.
Black hands or silver or gold.
Steal case or Ti. (or gold)
Sandwich dial or painted.
47mm,44mm or 40mm.
1950 style case, radiomir style or luminor style case.
Complications like chrono, date, power reserve (yea) or base.

Lots of newbies pick the 111 because it is manual winding and open case back and has a second hand to see some movement on the dial. Google that watch and you will see it. There is a new in house 111 called the 510 that only has to be wound once every 8 days. The 111 will be gone someday, but with so many out there, not really an investment to go up in value. The 111 has a 52 hour reserve but a tried and true movement. I would go for the 510 over the 111, but you need to figure out what you want in a watch.
Old 7 July 2014, 04:34 AM   #4
Preeble
"TRF" Member

Many of the older-school Luminors come with a secondary rubber band, which is obviously good for swimming. I agree with a previous poster re: getting a 44mm - that is the safest way to go. My first PAM was the 88 - not exactly classic, but I think it looks sharp. This is my swimming PAM and I put a green canvas strap on it and it wears well.

The 88 (like most 44mm Luminors) has the quick strap change system, so it is very easy to change straps.

GLWS
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 04:48 AM   #5
WANNAMILGAUSS
Banned

I appreciate the help and now doing some research I realize my question was all over the place. I did not realize there were so many versions. I simply saw a blue dial one and googled it and the EBAY one popped up.

I wear every watch I own like they should be. I have a titanium Breiting that I wear every almost daily for 10 years no matter what i am doing. Probably cost me more in replacement straps then I have paid for the watch.

Interesting you feel that way in regards to titanium.

As far as the 44? I have a 7.25 wrist but am not a flashy guy and can't rap so I am not sure I can handle it.

I will PM when I am 100% buying I hate wasting anyones time.

THANKS and now to a Sunday on the computer staring at watches.
WANNAMILGAUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Well

"Interesting you feel that way in regards to titanium"

That's just my opinion. Lots of people love their Ti models. I am sure it is a fine metal to own. I held one and the crown guard flipy thing that you open up to wind the watch felt kind of plastic to me. That's all.
Old 7 July 2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Dom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, FPJ
You. An easily handle 44mm. It might take 3 days (literally) to get used to, but that's about it.

Yes there are a couple of different references, but on a you have settled on case design, material and essential functions you are pretty much set. With PAM btw less is more. The owners usually don't go for the max complications, but the least they can live with. Basic, uncluttered design is what the brand is about.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Capvvc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky D and family
My pool watch

Pam 24, most classic pool watch made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.5 KB, 236 views)
Capvvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 04:06 PM   #9
drivenlifestyle

Watch: PAM 171
Straps!! Im huge fan of the Panerai strap choices. Yes, wear the watch you want. Choose a couple straps you dont mind getting beat up, its gonna happen regardless. And I agree with another statement above... Ebay? No. Im new to this site but eating up all the GREAT knowledge, topics, and above all... genuine advice.

Happy Watch Huntin'
drivenlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 03:33 PM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
forget the 40mm's, proportions are just not right, try 44, and with straps, not metal bracelet, 50% of Pams is in strap changing, but whatever you do don't go for a 40mm...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 09:54 AM   #11
AngryApe
"TRF" Member

I would definitely go 44. Your wrist can swing it no doubt.
AngryApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Jeffa32
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
I have the same size wrist as you and have a PAM 111. Probably my favourite watch. Forget the bracelet, looks awful. Just get a few straps. I dress mine up with a black alligator and it looks fantastic. Love the originally of the Pam, no mistaking it for anything else. I don't sim with mine as I normally have it on a leather strap plus I have 2 other dive watches.