The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 20 January 2018, 06:56 AM   #1
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch Winder revolutions to a full wind

Hi all

A slightly generic question dependand on the power reserve of the movement I guess, but does anyone have any idea how many revolutions something like a 3185 movement would need from an unwound stopped condition to a fully wound state on a watch winder?
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 05:25 AM   #2
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

Bump...

And in addition from another thread, another question....

Can a watch left on a watchwinder which is constantly rotating cause overbanking?
Old 7 February 2018, 06:22 AM   #3
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
.......Can a watch left on a watchwinder which is constantly rotating cause overbanking?
It shouldn't overbank provided it has the correct strength mainspring.

The mainspring slipping constantly inside the barrel will cause additional wear though.

Unless you have a watch with moonphase etc. which is a pain to re-set, and which you wear only intermittently, I don't see the point of a winder for most watches.

The only use I ever found for one is for a 5 series Seiko.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Hi all

A slightly generic question dependand on the power reserve of the movement I guess, but does anyone have any idea how many revolutions something like a 3185 movement would need from an unwound stopped condition to a fully wound state on a watch winder?
Generally, you can't.

A watch winders job is to maintain power, not to replace it, and the term "watch-winder" is a bit of a misnomer, perhaps it should be called a power-maintainer.

If you set the winder correctly, it will wind your watch a matching amount that it uses as it sits on the winder; that is typically ~600 winds per day.

As to "over-banking", this is very unlikely. You cannot over-wind the watch in that when it reaches full wind, the mainspring will simply slip in the barrel and no further torque would be applied to the movement than any other time it is wound. However, if you do set the winder to more than it needs, the mainspring will slip in the barrel too much and eventually wear the barrel notches that are part of holding the mainspring bridle stable.
Old 8 February 2018, 02:40 AM   #5
shofzr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 218235 BronzeWaves
Watch Winder revolutions to a full wind

Over-bank = a failure in one of the “safety”
Features in the Swiss lever escapement resulting in out of action condition. ( watch stops) because the pallet fork is resting on the incorrect bank, the roller jewel can not enter the fork slot.

Re-bank = a condition of excessive amplitude, the roller jewel is exceeding 330 degrees of amplitude and striking the outside of the pallet fork. This usually results in unstable timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speedmaster 125
shofzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 02:54 AM   #6
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Bump...

And in addition from another thread, another question....

Can a watch left on a watchwinder which is constantly rotating cause overbanking?
A winder should not constantly rotate. It should rotate and have larger periods of rest, especially set at 600 TPD which a Rolex movement sans Daytona should need.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:27 AM   #7
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for all the very educated answers to my questions. It's much appreciated.

Basically my Rolex collection has until recently been spread far and wide in storage inside their Rolex boxes up in various loft spaces with various family members. The watches in their boxes have been inside larger protective boxes but in some cases the watches have sat dormant like this for a number of years. They get real cold sometimes, but in summer they can get real warm.

My main concern had been the lack of proper lubriction with the watches stored like this and so I put them on my winder in pairs with a cycle of 5 mins clockwise, 5 mins anti-clockwise, 10 mins still. I left each pair cycling like this for approx 4 to 5 days. One GMT came out of it gaining 30 seconds/day and that has now gone off to RSC for its first ever service, it's a 2004 yr Coke. The others have come out fine. In fact two of my DJ2's seem completely Unaffected by the whole storage experience no are still accurate to less than 1s/day each. That's pretty good. I was hoping that by spinning them up slowly on a winder in the warm would help hopefully distribute any pooled lubricant evenly around the movement.

They all seem just fine are are now all collectively stored in a watch case inside a large safe, apparently none the worse for their long hibernation.

My questions above were based on the re-start process I put them all through, to break them back in gently.