The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2018, 04:41 PM   #1
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Icon20 Road bike advice sought - 2017 or 2018 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultegra Disc?

So I've narrowed down my search to either a 2017 or 2018 model and I can't decide which I should get. I have test ridden the 2017 but the 2018 was not available in store to try. An online comparison shows the main difference is the 2018 model has the Ultegra R8000/R8020 components whereas the 2017 model has the 6800.

I'm leaning towards the 2017 because of color... but keep wondering what the shifting is like on the new Ultegra components.

The 2018 model will cost me $175 more than the 2017. Price difference is not an issue.

Any advice?

2017 pics and specs - http://www.cannondale.com/USA/bike/P...0-0746abe4f7f5

2018 pics and specs- http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...a-6b6c0e526434
Old 21 February 2018, 05:05 PM   #2
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
From looks and specs alone, I would lean towards the 2018. Since you have test ridden the 2017 model and you like the colour scheme, why not get it? You might not have another opportunity to get one once it’s “sold out”. The difference in ride and shifting should not be very far apart as Shimano is as bullet proof as they come.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 05:10 PM   #3
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
If the 2018 model is out and available to buy then the price variation is not what it should be. I wouldn't be buying last year's model when the new one was out with a mere 175 off. As a matter of fact I'd be looking at a discount on the list price for the new model. I've ridden and raced for over 25 years and owned dozens of bikes. When I've bought them I've never paid RRP. Don't pay either of these prices for either bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 06:07 PM   #4
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualcarb View Post
From looks and specs alone, I would lean towards the 2018. Since you have test ridden the 2017 model and you like the colour scheme, why not get it? You might not have another opportunity to get one once it’s “sold out”. The difference in ride and shifting should not be very far apart as Shimano is as bullet proof as they come.
I'm not totally in love with the 2017 colour scheme; I just prefer it as the 2018 colours are bit more ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
If the 2018 model is out and available to buy then the price variation is not what it should be. I wouldn't be buying last year's model when the new one was out with a mere 175 off. As a matter of fact I'd be looking at a discount on the list price for the new model. I've ridden and raced for over 25 years and owned dozens of bikes. When I've bought them I've never paid RRP. Don't pay either of these prices for either bikes.

I'm not paying RRP on whichever way I go; these are my current offers:
2018 models - 30% off
2017 models - 30% off plus additional $175 off

Both retail for around the 3k mark.
Old 21 February 2018, 06:08 PM   #5
imperio
"TRF" Member

I guess the question really boils down to... is the latest ultegra groupset worth an extra $175?
Old 21 February 2018, 06:22 PM   #6
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I'm not totally in love with the 2017 colour scheme; I just prefer it as the 2018 colours are bit more ordinary.

I'm not paying RRP on whichever way I go; these are my current offers:

2018 models - 30% off

2017 models - 30% off plus additional $175 off

Both retail for around the 3k mark.

Ok that's clearer. But still leaves differential between the two not what it should be.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 06:34 PM   #7
imperio
"TRF" Member

This is eating away at me more than it should!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2018, 07:55 PM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
2017. Buy the frame color you like. Color can't be changed in the future (not cost effectively). Later if the curiosity over Ultegra 8000 is killing you, buy a mini group at about $400. Best of both worlds will cost you $225 more. Following my math and logic?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 11:38 PM   #9
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Not a fan of the neon color on the 2017 so I’d pick the 2018.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:27 AM   #10
car_wash_guy
"TRF" Member

Don't overlook the CAAD12.
car_wash_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:30 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Thing is are you going to feel the same way about that unusual color a year or two or even three years from now?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:35 AM   #12
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
For that kind of money you could get a BMC Roadmachine. No thing against Cannondales, I own an entry-level mountain bike of theirs (Trail 6, which has been discontinued) and I love it. But my BMC gets 10X the use just because it feels better. I’d go for a previous year model to save some $. And hey - Swiss bikes - get to the bad part :)

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:50 AM   #13
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Wait a second : have you ever tried disc brakes on a road bike ? Do you need them were you live ? Are you ok with the idea of dealing with a road bike that feels a bit sleepy because of discs and their through axles when you want to jump on the pedals and hammer on 'em ?

Ultegra shifting is great,especially the latest 8000 wich comes standard on the 2018 and it's a HUUUGE improvement over the 6800 on the 2017. For a mere reference go ahead and google " ultegra 6800 crank failure ".
Have you ever considered going Di2 ? Electronic shifting makes more sense than disc brakes IMHO. I've just bought the new Colnago C64 and I'm so happy to go back to calipers. I'm going back to mechanical shifting aswell but that's another story..
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:51 AM   #14
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Based on color I’d go for the 2017.

175$ shouldn’t be a factor since your already getting a nice discount.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:42 AM   #15
imperio
"TRF" Member

I read every reply; below are the ones that made me pause a bit longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
2017. Buy the frame color you like. Color can't be changed in the future (not cost effectively). Later if the curiosity over Ultegra 8000 is killing you, buy a mini group at about $400. Best of both worlds will cost you $225 more. Following my math and logic?
Yes, makes sense. Didn't think of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
Wait a second : have you ever tried disc brakes on a road bike ? Do you need them were you live ? Are you ok with the idea of dealing with a road bike that feels a bit sleepy because of discs and their through axles when you want to jump on the pedals and hammer on 'em ?

Ultegra shifting is great,especially the latest 8000 wich comes standard on the 2018 and it's a HUUUGE improvement over the 6800 on the 2017. For a mere reference go ahead and google " ultegra 6800 crank failure ".
Have you ever considered going Di2 ? Electronic shifting makes more sense than disc brakes IMHO. I've just bought the new Colnago C64 and I'm so happy to go back to calipers. I'm going back to mechanical shifting aswell but that's another story..
I've researched disc brakes are are ok with disc. I contemplated the rim-brake version but I couldn't live with either of the bike colour options on rim brakes, so that's out.
I hadn't heard of the 6800 crank failure before you brought it up, googled, it's scary. But 8000 is relatively untested... right? Could it have the same issue?
I'm leaning towards going with a 2017 6800, which is Di2 compatible, and upgrading to Di2 down the road. Rationale being if you start off with a Ferrari, there isn't much else to upgrade to. So I think I'll start with something one notch lower. I know this isn't a Ferrari equivalent, but humor me

Today's verdict: going with the 2017! (hopefully it doesn't change tomorrow)

Old 22 February 2018, 10:13 AM   #16
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

Today's verdict: going with the 2017! (hopefully it doesn't change tomorrow)
Whatever you do, don't overthink it. Always enjoy the ride more so than the bike. It's meant to be fun.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:24 AM   #17
Lol-x
Facilitator

I would be buying a bike with disc brakes....its the way to go these days.
As pointed out above the BMC Roadmachine is a very highly rated/regarded bike.
Ultregra is fine whatever model you choose.
The C'dale Hi Mod bikes ride great, I have 2, and am very happy.
Good luck!
As they say buy once, bye right!
On your 2 bikes posted above I would go for the 2018 model.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:39 AM   #18
pallindrome
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Watch 42mm
Just get the Di-2 since you will adopt it sooner or later. Why not sooner?
pallindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 06:57 PM   #19
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Whatever you do, don't overthink it. Always enjoy the ride more so than the bike. It's meant to be fun.
Exactly. After all these years of riding I still have to learn myself how to focus on that. Probably I would still have some oldish bike instead of buying a new one every year...
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 12:03 AM   #20
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
The only real advantage disc brakes will give you is wet weather stopping power and if you live/ride in steep mountains where it's easy to cook the brakes. Lots of people pop tubes and have rim failures because of this. Resin used in carbon rims is much better, but you can still get them hot and cause failure if you don't know how to brake properly.

Edit: And definitely go DI2. Now that I have it, it will be very hard to go back to mechanical shifting. Everything is precise. Shifting is perfect every time. No cable stretch. Minimal maintenance. Keep the battery charged and ride.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 07:02 AM   #21
imperio
"TRF" Member

Ok, gotta get some pedals and shoes next. Any recommendations?

What a weird place to be asking btw (Rolex forum?!). Anyone here have a biking forum to recommend where I can sign up?
Old 23 February 2018, 07:05 AM   #22
car_wash_guy
"TRF" Member

Speedplay or Look ( depending on your preference). SIDI or S-Works are great shoes.
car_wash_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 07:49 AM   #23
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Ok, gotta get some pedals and shoes next. Any recommendations?

What a weird place to be asking btw (Rolex forum?!). Anyone here have a biking forum to recommend where I can sign up?
Shoes are like saddles. Very personalized. Specialized shoes are very narrow and hurt my feet, but they are top quality. I wear Giro with carbon soles. Most people I know use Look Keo or speedplay pedals. Most racers use speedplay because they are very easy to clip in and out of. Look has a bigger platform for your foot.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 07:52 AM   #24
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I'm a Shimano fan for pedals. More due to the fact that I've been riding them for years and too lazy to switch to speedplay. With particular shoes, no one should be able to give you advice as stated above. It's very personal. I like old Giro carbon shoes which are no longer produced :(

Regarding the bike, MY18 looks better with components, but to be truthful I wouldn't ride any cannondale bike unless it's given to me from my team.

With a bike forum, I am not aware of any. I have connected with all of my friends on group rides then connect on facebook etc. I see your from San Fran, great place! I'm heading to Levi's gran Fondo in Santa Rosa in October with a group of friends from Wisconsin.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 07:56 AM   #25
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
The only real advantage disc brakes will give you is wet weather stopping power and if you live/ride in steep mountains where it's easy to cook the brakes. Lots of people pop tubes and have rim failures because of this. Resin used in carbon rims is much better, but you can still get them hot and cause failure if you don't know how to brake properly.

Edit: And definitely go DI2. Now that I have it, it will be very hard to go back to mechanical shifting. Everything is precise. Shifting is perfect every time. No cable stretch. Minimal maintenance. Keep the battery charged and ride.
I agree with Disc brakes, considering he lives in San Fran. Disc is the way to go. I live in Wisconsin so I would save the ~50-100 grams and go rim. With Di2, I will NEVER go back to mechanical on my main race bike(s). It just works, until you run out of battery (lol). I think for cyclocross its even more imperative to have Di2.
Old 23 February 2018, 08:27 AM   #26
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Shoes are like saddles. Very personalized. Specialized shoes are very narrow and hurt my feet, but they are top quality. I wear Giro with carbon soles. Most people I know use Look Keo or speedplay pedals. Most racers use speedplay because they are very easy to clip in and out of. Look has a bigger platform for your foot.

I have wide feet so will steer clear of specialized shoes; thanks for the tip.
Old 23 February 2018, 08:30 AM   #27
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
I'm a Shimano fan for pedals. More due to the fact that I've been riding them for years and too lazy to switch to speedplay. With particular shoes, no one should be able to give you advice as stated above. It's very personal. I like old Giro carbon shoes which are no longer produced :(

Regarding the bike, MY18 looks better with components, but to be truthful I wouldn't ride any cannondale bike unless it's given to me from my team.

With a bike forum, I am not aware of any. I have connected with all of my friends on group rides then connect on facebook etc. I see your from San Fran, great place! I'm heading to Levi's gran Fondo in Santa Rosa in October with a group of friends from Wisconsin.

Second mention of Giro; will check those out. I'm also registered for gran Fondo in October, see you there
Old 23 February 2018, 08:40 AM   #28
Jtime
"TRF" Member

I’m biased and a Fuji guy, but happy to hook you up with a close Fuji rep if you’re in the market! Just PM me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Jtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 09:16 AM   #29
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
I love my Speedplay pedals and wouldn't buy anything else. For shoes I love SIDI. I got a pair of SIDI Shots and they are the best cycling shoe I've purchased to date.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 09:52 AM   #30
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
I love my Speedplay pedals and wouldn't buy anything else. For shoes I love SIDI. I got a pair of SIDI Shots and they are the best cycling shoe I've purchased to date.
SIDI's don't work for me personally, they crease in a weird location by the arch.

Whatever shoe you choose, I would HIGHLY suggest getting custom orthotics and proper fit on your bike with a trained professional and proper equipment.