The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22 February 2018, 09:32 PM   #1
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Antibacterial wipes? Soap & Water!!

Scientist says: anti-bacterial-wipes-pointless-bugs-grow-back-20-minutes-scientist/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...tes-scientist/
Old 22 February 2018, 10:18 PM   #2
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN

Well coming from someone that has 2 different biology degrees and a masters in biology and dating a girl whose both parents are doctors they have told me those kill not just the bad bacteria but the good bacteria on your skin. Places with high uses of this lead to much higher rates of “super bugs” like MRSA, CRE, and C. diff which we have very limited treatment options. If at all possible I believe soap and water is your best bet. There are exceptions where people with immune compromised individuals don’t need to be around any of that bacteria and of course open wounds. This is just their opinion and some will disagree. On a side note I am taking the Mcat in a few weeks. Maybe I’ll have an opinion next year. However I’d say most of those wipes aren’t strong enough to really do a lot of harm one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2018, 10:20 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I use them on toilet seats ... 20 minutes is plenty of time for me to do my business
Old 22 February 2018, 11:50 PM   #4
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Wipes and hand sanitizer solutions aren't as great as people think. The chemistry used actually leaves a thin film that attracts dirt and grime. This is especially true for hand sanitizers. Ethanol is typically the active ingredient with Carbopolymer as the thickener. Once the ethanol evaporates, guess what's left behind. Each have their place and purpose, but good old soap and water is best. That and avoiding sick people.
Old 22 February 2018, 11:54 PM   #5
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Wipes and hand sanitizer solutions aren't as great as people think. The chemistry used actually leaves a thin film that attracts dirt and grime. This is especially true for hand sanitizers. Ethanol is typically the active ingredient with Carbopolymer as the thickener. Once the ethanol evaporates, guess what's left behind. Each have their place and purpose, but good old soap and water is best. That and avoiding sick people.
...please define ‘sick’
Old 23 February 2018, 12:11 AM   #6
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
...please define ‘sick’
Physically sick. If I avoided mentally "sick" people, no one from TRF would ever see me. Come on, what type of people have this strange infatuation/obsession with watches????
Old 23 February 2018, 12:13 AM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I don’t like those hand sanitisers because they make my skin dry. I do carry one on a plane but I prefer soap and water.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 23 February 2018, 12:39 AM   #8
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Like Ruud said, on a plane it's a necessity
Old 23 February 2018, 01:13 AM   #9
ICUdR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Like Ruud said, on a plane it's a necessity

I do about 80 flights per year plus my flights doing retrieval medicine.

My habit is to wash my hands as soon as I get off the plane. This had reduced the amount of time I was getting sick significantly

But I also try to avoid touching the tray table in front of me and any items that cant get cleaned or don't get cleaned frequently.

There was a study (New Scientist?) That found that seatbelts and tray tables have more bacteria (# of colonies per area) than a plane's toilets. Their theory is that toilets get cleaned and sterilised at least every while tray tables and seatbelts don't.

Bacteria is everywhere. Can't be avoided. Hand sterilising had a plane (in the OT did example)Hand sanitizers should be used only when extremely necessary, not as routine. As said above. They do increase the risk of "super bugs"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 23 February 2018, 01:44 AM   #10
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Physically sick. If I avoided mentally "sick" people, no one from TRF would ever see me. Come on, what type of people have this strange infatuation/obsession with watches????
Old 23 February 2018, 06:37 AM   #11
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
There was a famous test here many years ago where they tested antibacterial dish soap compared to regular. The brand was Yes. The regular was far more antibacterial than the one that was advertised as being antibacterial, this had to do with the antibacterial ingredient needed a different chemical environment to actually work. So the regular was actually also better for doing the dishes. It was all marketing...
Old 23 February 2018, 03:56 PM   #12
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Hand sanitizers - cloths and liquid - are good when there is no soap and water available.
We use them when shopping, travelling, and pretty much anywhere that it is not possible to wash hands after being in public places.
I hate airlines. You need to wear a mask and sanitize your hands repeatedly. Filthy places.
A big proportion of human beings are absolute grubs. It's not surprising colds and 'flu are spread so easily.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Old 23 February 2018, 06:26 PM   #13
Max16013
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I use them on toilet seats ... 20 minutes is plenty of time for me to do my business

Hopefully you don’t flush them :x

Old 24 February 2018, 01:04 AM   #14
Floorguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Never used them. They weren’t around when I was growing up and everything was fine! I just think, (don’t get me wrong, not bashing anyone) too many people are a bit germaphobic these days. When I was a kid, the Things we played with, and old dirty lots where we played, mothers today would probably faint!! Again, not trying to start anything, this is just my opinion!!
Old 24 February 2018, 01:12 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

George Carlin said they used to play in the East River as kids and because of that he never got sick much during his life.

Today we’re afraid of everything.

Apparently all the superbugs are as a result of anti bacterial everything and over use of antibiotics. The bugs got smarter, and we didn’t.
Old 24 February 2018, 01:13 AM   #16
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Well coming from someone that has 2 different biology degrees and a masters in biology and dating a girl whose both parents are doctors they have told me those kill not just the bad bacteria but the good bacteria on your skin. Places with high uses of this lead to much higher rates of “super bugs” like MRSA, CRE, and C. diff which we have very limited treatment options. If at all possible I believe soap and water is your best bet. There are exceptions where people with immune compromised individuals don’t need to be around any of that bacteria and of course open wounds. This is just their opinion and some will disagree. On a side note I am taking the Mcat in a few weeks. Maybe I’ll have an opinion next year. However I’d say most of those wipes aren’t strong enough to really do a lot of harm one way or another.

This^^ a good friend is a research biologist and firm believer in regular soap. Always encouraged me to avoid antimicrobial products as his believe is overexposure leads to resistance. Although most products now are alcohol based as the producers or consumers figured out over exposure is not a good thing.
At some point I may need antibiotics and the less use the better.
Ty: By height.
Old 21 April 2021, 03:22 PM   #17
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Goodbye.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Closed Thread