The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Patek Calatrava 6119G vs. 6119R
6119G 94 44.13%
6119R 119 55.87%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 January 2024, 08:02 AM   #1
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Patek Calatrava 6119G vs. 6119R

So I've been really interested in the Calatrava 6119 and love the 6119G with that slate grey dial, but the 6119R feels more classic and closer to Patek's Calatrava DNA. Curious how folks feel between R and G. G also feels more sportier and maybe easier to wear daily vs. R feels more dressier, for a special occasion like a wedding or dinner date.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 2.04.04 PM.png (132.4 KB, 1138 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 2.04.14 PM.png (194.1 KB, 1145 views)
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 08:22 AM   #2
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Between the two, I'll lean toward the G variant 10 times out of 10. It's a bit less "showy" for me & I don't like RG very much. YG is fine, but to me, WG is the winner. I think it's a bit more versatile in normal wear & will be tough to find a situation where it doesn't work... Maybe on a long nature hike or a beach day...

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 08:24 AM   #3
Luxaeterna
"TRF" Member

Agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. Can’t go wrong with either but I’d say G is more versatile. I went with the R because the rose gold is such a beautiful shade in person and I really love how it looks on me. Will post pics of mine once I’m able!
Luxaeterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 09:03 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I normally prefer WG over R, but in this case I like the lighter dial of the R and would choose the R. Is the R dial brushed? It does not appear to be so.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 09:25 AM   #5
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I normally prefer WG over R, but in this case I like the lighter dial of the R and would choose the R. Is the R dial brushed? It does not appear to be so.
Correct, the R dial is not brushed.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 09:29 AM   #6
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Although I generally don’t like rose gold, the Patek recipe is very subtle and looks like yellow gold in some lighting. But I still prefer the 6119g
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 09:37 AM   #7
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I get how people might favor the G because it’s more versatile. But the only way I would go G on this one is if this is your only watch other than that I will go colored gold every day of the week and twice on Sundays . For one it’s gonna be harder to tell the time in poor lighting conditions on the G version , specially with a watch with no lumen. I can see better the minute by minute markers that are in the periphery of dial in the RG version, simply because the contrast is better.
My opinion is bias in the sense that when it comes to gold I usually favor colored gold vs white gold. But it also depends on the watch too , I prefer WG on a 5146 (now discontinued) or in some PCC . I also really love platinum on a watch , the weight feels amazing in the wrist , like in the 5960p

That being said if you really love the looks of the G better , then I would go with that vs all the reasons that I listed against it. Because in this watch world the love for a piece will always triumph vs anything else. That’s how I feel about the speedy for example , when you analyze it really doesn’t has too much going for it but there is something about the watch that makes me love the watch , and that’s all that matters . That one has good readability though , lol
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 03:04 PM   #8
jw0n
"TRF" Member

OP, you are absolutely right. The R is dressier for sure, the G is easier to pair with any occasion. But certainly there are merits to both. You just have to find out which one you like best.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 04:00 PM   #9
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I like the G better. It's just more versatile and sportier IMO.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 04:26 PM   #10
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

I wanted the classic Patek piece. So for me it was a time only Calatrava and it had to be in RG.

Personally I love the look, and I actually wear it all the time. The hobnail bezel and RG just works so well together. I see no issues with jeans and a t shirt with this piece. I get that WG feels more versatile, as it has a more casual look. But I feel like the RG really works casually as well.

By the way, the dial doesn’t have the slate brushed finished, but it was these little sparkles. It’s very fine, and you can’t even see it in pictures. But definitely there and appreciated. Off white dial.

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 01:27 PM   #11
endofanera7
"TRF" Member

Black dial for me but just IMO. But agree the 6119R is more classic look.
endofanera7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 11:06 PM   #12
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

I prefer the G, but tried the R on recently at the salon and loved it.
Old 14 January 2024, 02:58 AM   #13
Colnick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500 6119R DJ41
I bought an R from AD last year. Very happy with my purchase, wearing it today with jeans , love the silvery dial.
Colnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 11:20 PM   #14
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Btw, for those who don't already know -- the 6119G isn't the only one with a textured dial. I managed to capture some of the essence of the 6119R earlier today and thought I'd share with you all.

Old 14 January 2024, 11:30 PM   #15
jw0n
"TRF" Member

As for the 6119G, a truly sporty Calatrava that does not go overboard. Brushed dial with a subdial that is always on contrast. Equally perfect, yet completely opposite of its brother.

Old 15 January 2024, 04:53 AM   #16
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Those are some incredible pics jw0n
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 05:16 AM   #17
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Rose gold
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 10:30 PM   #18
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Those are some incredible pics jw0n
Thank you! It was worth dusting the old camera, that's for sure!

Old 16 January 2024, 02:28 PM   #19
nickorette
"TRF" Member

R is more classic. Also, not a fan of the slate dial on the G. Would look great if it was black enamel
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 05:09 AM   #20
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

I think the G is the more striking dial, but I think you buy this type of watch because it's more traditional, and therrfore I would go with the R (if I could - have a feeling I will never get the call).
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 01:38 PM   #21
Seo
"TRF" Member

I’ve asked for a 6119g. Hopefully get it this year. Such a classy watch. The rg is beautiful too but I just don’t blend well with coloured metal.

Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 09:50 AM   #22
vchowca
"TRF" Member

I just made an enquiry with the Patek boutique a few days ago about the Rose Gold version. I do not have purchase history there, and they informed me that they stopped putting names on their waiting list a few years ago, as there are already too many on their waiting list. They informed me that some have been waiting since 2019 and are still waiting. They are not even sure if they will be allocated even one unit for each color this year. There has been some supply issue with Patek over the last few years, perhaps because of the COVID. So, they suggested that I keep in touch with them and perhaps the situation will change in the future. I am in Canada. Perhaps the market here is not that big and they are only allocated with very few pieces. I don't think I will get any good chance to get one. Envy you folks getting the chance to buy one.

At the same time, I am also on the enquiry list with the Rolex boutique here about the Submariner, Daytona Panda and OP tiffany blue. I know my chance of getting the last two is zero... but I hope I will get a chance to get the Submariner though. The demand for Rolex sport watches and Patek watches are crazy. Given that I won't be in a position to purchase any Rolex or Patek watches anytime soon, I instead bought the JLC Duoface Reverso Tribute in the meantime. It is a very beautiful and elegant watch. Pity that the demand of it is nowhere near that for Patek, even both are pretty classic dress watches. But I guess that is not necessarily a bad thing, as otherwise, I would not have been able to get a hand on this JLC either.
vchowca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 10:28 AM   #23
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchowca View Post
I just made an enquiry with the Patek boutique a few days ago about the Rose Gold version. I do not have purchase history there, and they informed me that they stopped putting names on their waiting list a few years ago, as there are already too many on their waiting list. They informed me that some have been waiting since 2019 and are still waiting. They are not even sure if they will be allocated even one unit for each color this year. There has been some supply issue with Patek over the last few years, perhaps because of the COVID. So, they suggested that I keep in touch with them and perhaps the situation will change in the future. I am in Canada. Perhaps the market here is not that big and they are only allocated with very few pieces. I don't think I will get any good chance to get one. Envy you folks getting the chance to buy one.

At the same time, I am also on the enquiry list with the Rolex boutique here about the Submariner, Daytona Panda and OP tiffany blue. I know my chance of getting the last two is zero... but I hope I will get a chance to get the Submariner though. The demand for Rolex sport watches and Patek watches are crazy. Given that I won't be in a position to purchase any Rolex or Patek watches anytime soon, I instead bought the JLC Duoface Reverso Tribute in the meantime. It is a very beautiful and elegant watch. Pity that the demand of it is nowhere near that for Patek, even both are pretty classic dress watches. But I guess that is not necessarily a bad thing, as otherwise, I would not have been able to get a hand on this JLC either.

I have seen them in them in the case and in Vegas and Bay Area ready for sale - I would call around a couple Ads or just got grey. Both 6119 are trading under retail

dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 11:09 AM   #24
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

6119 is released on 2021 no?
And seems a bit of bullsh1t they can't sell you a basic calatrava, in this market I doubt the demands this high
Just go grey, it's well under water now. It's a beautiful watch
Gelateria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 01:57 PM   #25
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I have seen them in them in the case and in Vegas and Bay Area ready for sale - I would call around a couple Ads or just got grey. Both 6119 are trading under retail

Where in the bay? CH isn’t giving me the time of day on it. I’m leaning toward preowned since it’s cheaper than retail but if it’s a piece to be inherited then to me there’s value in being the original owner since that depreciation hit is negated over 50+ years.
Old 18 March 2024, 02:32 PM   #26
vchowca
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the info. Perhaps I'll check their ADs in other cities. If their ADs in Vegas have this watch in stock, it will be perfect! I may spend a few days of vacation in Vegas this year. My concern with the grey market is that I may end up receiving a counterfeit product. I have no experience in the grey market at all. I feel it is much safer to purchase through the official channel, if possible.
Old 18 March 2024, 03:06 PM   #27
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
I don’t think 6119 is a difficult watch to get from A.D in Canada.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 03:13 PM   #28
vchowca
"TRF" Member

I don't know.. perhaps the situation is different from city to city. There is only one dealer in the entire province in which I live.
Old 18 March 2024, 03:24 PM   #29
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchowca View Post

Humbertown? I was told they weren't accepting new Patek clients a few years ago, started my Patek relationship with an AD at another city instead
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 05:45 PM   #30
vchowca
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
Humbertown? I was told they weren't accepting new Patek clients a few years ago, started my Patek relationship with an AD at another city instead
I am in Vancouver, British Columbia. There is only one AD servicing the entire province. The next closest AD is in Alberta.... and they do not mail watches.