The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Perpetuator
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116520 Ivory/Cream Dial?

I've seen one of these rarities up for sale in its original packaging. Seller wants an arm & leg, but is reputable. He mentions that these were offered on a very select few early reference 116520 Daytonas. But in all my years on TRF, I have never seen or heard of any "cream" dial Daytonas. The color is an off-white/neutral shade, similar to the ivory panda dial sans the black subdials. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Perpetuator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 01:40 AM   #2
imono
"TRF" Member

I too like to learn and see this Daytona with its special dial.
Is it possible to post pictures?
imono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 02:18 AM   #3
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Pics (if you have them) would be most helpful and will bring out the experts on such things in this forum.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Perpetuator
"TRF" Member

Most of the pics are protected, but I was able to copy this small one.

Old 22 February 2012, 04:09 AM   #5
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Looks nice...so what's the going price???

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imono View Post
I too like to learn and see this Daytona with its special dial.
Is it possible to post pictures?
I have one, and it is pictured in my avitar, to see more pictures go on to my post Jan 2011.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetuator View Post
I've seen one of these rarities up for sale in its original packaging. Seller wants an arm & leg, but is reputable. He mentions that these were offered on a very select few early reference 116520 Daytonas. But in all my years on TRF, I have never seen or heard of any "cream" dial Daytonas. The color is an off-white/neutral shade, similar to the ivory panda dial sans the black subdials. Can anyone shed some light on this?
As i stated earlier i am fortunate enough to own one of these rare Models. When i first joined this forum, it was this particular watch that i wanted information on. The experts helped me by telling me the year that some of the genuine models that they knew to have " suffered " this mix up with the Dial paints, they told me it was the first year of the 4130 all singing, all dancing Rolex in house movement., year 2000, ( P serial ) and that they called it the Transitional Dial. Beware though because i am reliably informed that there are people out there with " Doctored Dials " ready to put in any Daytona. I can vouch for mine as i bought it new, and it is a P serial.
Old 22 February 2012, 06:05 AM   #8
salikali768
"TRF" Member

daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie 50 View Post
As i stated earlier i am fortunate enough to own one of these rare Models. When i first joined this forum, it was this particular watch that i wanted information on. The experts helped me by telling me the year that some of the genuine models that they knew to have " suffered " this mix up with the Dial paints, they told me it was the first year of the 4130 all singing, all dancing Rolex in house movement., year 2000, ( P serial ) and that they called it the Transitional Dial. Beware though because i am reliably informed that there are people out there with " Doctored Dials " ready to put in any Daytona. I can vouch for mine as i bought it new, and it is a P serial.
will you sell your watch?
salikali768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 07:03 AM   #9
laphroaig007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 & PAM372
Hope is your friend...
Old 22 February 2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphroaig007 View Post
Hope is your friend...
In the words of George Harrison, " all things must pass, including ( sometimes ) a Cream Dial Daytona !!!!
Old 22 February 2012, 09:11 AM   #11
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

That is one of the striking features when it comes to the 116509 panda dial. It's a real beauty!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Perpetuator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Paulie. I did a little investigation, and everything you mentioned is consistent with the information that I found. Nice watch!

Seller is overseas, asking 3K but willing to do 2650 USD. The dial is untouched and sealed in packaging, would be great to have to swap out on my G serial 116520 some day. As rare as it is, I still don't think I can bring myself to throw down that type of scratch on just a dial
Old 22 February 2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Paulie. I did a little investigation, and everything you mentioned is consistent with the information that I found. Nice watch!

Seller is overseas, asking 3K but willing to do 2650 USD. The dial is untouched and sealed in packaging, would be great to have to swap out on my G serial 116520 some day. As rare as it is, I still don't think I can bring myself to throw down that type of scratch on just a dial
I'm probably talking nonsense, but if the colour Phenomenon only occurred with a watch of a certain year, then it rather makes any other configuration to be; what those in the Antique trade call a " Marriage ", would you not agree ???.
Old 22 February 2012, 09:09 PM   #14
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:

Boy, that is alot of money for a dial.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Perpetuator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm probably talking nonsense, but if the colour Phenomenon only occurred with a watch of a certain year, then it rather makes any other configuration to be; what those in the Antique trade call a " Marriage ", would you not agree ???.
Uhh.... what??

All I know for sure is that you have one hell of a watch pictured in your avatar!
Old 23 February 2012, 09:02 AM   #16
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Uhh.... what??

All I know for sure is that you have one hell of a watch pictured in your avatar!
Thank you,
Old 23 February 2012, 09:11 AM   #17
nch209
"TRF" Member

I am unable to view the pic on this computer---- just wondering if the dial is new in bubble packaging, or in older style wax paper??? (I assume the later...) Thanks!
Old 23 February 2012, 05:07 PM   #18
Perpetuator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nch209 View Post
I am unable to view the pic on this computer---- just wondering if the dial is new in bubble packaging, or in older style wax paper??? (I assume the later...) Thanks!
It actually is new in bubble packaging. PM me if you would like the link.