The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 October 2020, 04:22 PM   #1
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
My first Patek??

I went to a local Patek AD the day before and the lovely manager walk me into their collections as I expected there's nothing much on display but one piece caught my attention this Patek 5396G AC. My wife fell in love with this piece and really considering it. First time to handle a Patek in person and I would say the quality and the craftsmanship is superb but it comes with a heft price 70K aud retail. Might need to let go something in my collection to get it but not sure which one yet. My wife offered to pay the half as a gift but I need to do my research further before pulling the trigger. Helpful advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 06:00 PM   #2
330ci
"TRF" Member

I guess it depends on how much you like It, your finances, etc. But considering your wife would be paying half and you’d still have to let something go. I’d say probably not the best financial decision to make. Especially given the current climate of the world.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 06:18 PM   #3
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I guess it depends on how much you like It, your finances, etc. But considering your wife would be paying half and you’d still have to let something go. I’d say probably not the best financial decision to make. Especially given the current climate of the world.
You have a point. Yeah I only buy using my disposable income and not my actual savings same as my wife. Looking at maybe getting this piece and keep maybe a GMT and sub a good three piece collection. Cheers
Old 9 October 2020, 06:43 PM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of the 5396 or any other Patek AC. I just don't like the dial layout of any of the ACs and they feel stuck in the middle to me, less clean / form-follows-function than a Calatrava and not the real deal of a PC. I'd rather get a basic Calatrava as a first Patek (talking my own book from many years ago) or go all the way and get a preowned 3940 PC as long as you can live w the 36mm size.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 06:48 PM   #5
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJKLFoams View Post
You have a point. Yeah I only buy using my disposable income and not my actual savings same as my wife. Looking at maybe getting this piece and keep maybe a GMT and sub a good three piece collection. Cheers
https://www.jomashop.com/patek-philippe-watch-5396g-011.html?&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_cam paign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$10000+-+$25000&gclid=CjwKCAjwlID8BRAFEiwAnUoK1dV22sTrmFVa 8OUZpuI4FZW9ML6Tva4HCPbHp_l9oSeuQnVNEilAQRoCffEQAv D_BwE

They’ve got a 22% discount on it here. I’m sure you could beat that by another 10-20% if you found one lightly used. Don’t just hop into a watch because of the fear of missing out though.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 06:58 PM   #6
infinitywatches
Banned

Watch: Rolex 228238
It's a big decision to take TBH. But if she loves it and you really want to make her happy, then it's not a bad idea to get it for her.

No worries, it's a good buy.
infinitywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 07:37 PM   #7
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
https://www.jomashop.com/patek-philippe-watch-5396g-011.html?&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_cam paign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$10000+-+$25000&gclid=CjwKCAjwlID8BRAFEiwAnUoK1dV22sTrmFVa 8OUZpuI4FZW9ML6Tva4HCPbHp_l9oSeuQnVNEilAQRoCffEQAv D_BwE

They’ve got a 22% discount on it here. I’m sure you could beat that by another 10-20% if you found one lightly used. Don’t just hop into a watch because of the fear of missing out though.
Thanks Il have a look and maybe I will negotiate with the AD and see what happen. Cheers
Old 9 October 2020, 07:41 PM   #8
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitywatches View Post
It's a big decision to take TBH. But if she loves it and you really want to make her happy, then it's not a bad idea to get it for her.

No worries, it's a good buy.
Its actually for me but my wife is kinda like I want to use it once in a while :). But yeah I will negotiate and see what sort of discount would I get since it is not a hot piece. Thanks
Old 9 October 2020, 11:09 PM   #9
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
If you LOVE the watch and you can let a few less used pieces go to fund it, go for it. Its a leap into the top tier of mechanical watches. Definitely don't just buy it because the AD had one in stock though, at that price you have several choices. Definitely don't strain yourself financially to buy it either, you'll just end up resenting the watch.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 12:30 AM   #10
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
If you LOVE the watch and you can let a few less used pieces go to fund it, go for it. Its a leap into the top tier of mechanical watches. Definitely don't just buy it because the AD had one in stock though, at that price you have several choices. Definitely don't strain yourself financially to buy it either, you'll just end up resenting the watch.
Thanks I will definitely think of it before pulling the trigger and do more research. Initially Im planning on getting the Lange 1815 AC and my bro in law told me to check out the calatrava AC so I said Il go check it out when I get a chance.

Old 10 October 2020, 03:15 AM   #11
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Save cash and get a pre-owned AC. Still has a bunch of cred since Patek invented the complication, and there are many beautiful options. It's also got larger dial size than the perpetual 3940. If you are super locked into buying new from an AD then get a simpler calatrava to save a bit of money. I wouldn't buy an AC brand new as they do tank, notwithstanding the Patek stamp. Unless you're certain you'll never sell. Even then I would look patiently for a good pre-owned deal. All about the hunt!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 03:30 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5396G is a beautiful timepiece. If you like it, see if the AD will negotiate on the price. You may also want to check pre-owned watches for price comparison. At the end of the day, it is your decision. If you love it and want it brand new from an AD with your name on the Certificate of Origin, I'd say go for it.

With purchasing any luxury item, many people like to buy new and others don't mind buying pre-owned. It is a personal preference.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 05:43 AM   #13
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Leaving logic and finances out of it.....

Your post and related replies seem to consider or at the very least elude to them. If they are not strong considerations, beyond that it is purely subjective and personal. To that end, I say go for it. I own both a Calatrava and this reference. However my 5396 is in rose gold. I love them both, but the 5396 is special. It is a lovely timepiece that oozes Patek DNA from prior references in appearance and functionally. It is a perfect sized watch too. When I wear mine, it is hard not to gaze at the dial. You have the green light from your better half, why not treat yourself to the full dealer experience in getting a new Patek, and having a full factory warranty. But do negotiate with them, I suspect they will on this reference. Mine did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8016 (1).jpg (81.2 KB, 506 views)
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 05:56 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

unless you plan on getting more watches in the future from this ad I don't see any AD discounting this piece enough to compete with grey market prices - around mid 30s (in USD) - try to bundle or set yourself up for something special from AD in the future - if you love this watch and want it new -do it! but this should give you some nice leverage for future purchases and you should use this wisely.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 07:17 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Keep researching, look at Lange, Journe, Urban J, Voutilainen etc, and then you can make a more considered decision on this PP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 02:58 PM   #16
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
Your post and related replies seem to consider or at the very least elude to them. If they are not strong considerations, beyond that it is purely subjective and personal. To that end, I say go for it. I own both a Calatrava and this reference. However my 5396 is in rose gold. I love them both, but the 5396 is special. It is a lovely timepiece that oozes Patek DNA from prior references in appearance and functionally. It is a perfect sized watch too. When I wear mine, it is hard not to gaze at the dial. You have the green light from your better half, why not treat yourself to the full dealer experience in getting a new Patek, and having a full factory warranty. But do negotiate with them, I suspect they will on this reference. Mine did.
Thanks for your kind advice. Im just weighing between lange1815 or this patek.

Old 10 October 2020, 03:11 PM   #17
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
if money is no issue then go for it. it’s hard to ignore the hefty discount you can get from grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 07:09 PM   #18
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post

Beautiful! The 5396 and the 5196 are the nicest in the Patek line up in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2020, 03:51 PM   #19
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

This is my grail piece, I just saw one in a trusted local seller. Way out of my current budget though. I believe in AD they're going for US$55K but the trusted seller was offering me $40K ish. Maybe I'll really consider it since all the Rolex prices are going nuts.
IamJacky is offline   Reply With Quote