The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2020, 06:12 AM   #31
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
From what I’ve seen, prices at the big greys are holding fairly constant, but a bit down. What has changed massively since the summer of last year is that at these prices they are not moving.

Go back a little over 12 months and Watchfinder didn’t have many Nautilus for sale, and when they did, within a week or two they’d be sold. They now have over 40 Nautilus models and it looks like they are taking months to sell, or just not selling.

That suggests to me they are overpriced, but they seem to be sticking with it. I could see a small correction down, but I don’t think it will be much, so if you are looking to buy, now would seem a good time to negotiate a discount.
RussW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 09:01 AM   #32
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
And how many folks who pursue a 5711 know what a hacking function is, or care?
That’s precisely the problem with majority of the nautilus purchasing crowd nowadays... they don’t know what they are looking at, don’t understand what it is... yet willing to part good hard cash for a massively inflated watch. The 5711 ain’t cheap on the secondary market but yet people are buying it just for the sake of having “The Watch”. Im afraid when people look back later on, they will wonder what were they thinking back then

I repeat: no hate against the 5711... but people need to be aware that this is not a 70-80k watch. That’s all I’m saying. It’s worth over MSRP yes! Approximately 40-50k sure. I mean who doesn’t like their watches to go up in value but there has to be a point whereby people stop going berserk over a date only watch!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 07:52 PM   #33
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I repeat: no hate against the 5711... there has to be a point whereby people stop going berserk over a date only watch!
I agree. There’s a lot of hype. “I want. I can’t get. I want it more”. To me a PP is all about complexity - Grand Complications.

The 5711 is viewed as an upmarket Rolex and catches the eye. This is the opposite of what I want: discretion.

If I wanted to make an investment I wouldn’t buy a watch.

I am very cynical about grey prices and wonder how many dealers actually have the watches in stock or just have list of owners who are prospective sellers if they can make a killing.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 07:55 PM   #34
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s precisely the problem with majority of the nautilus purchasing crowd nowadays... they don’t know what they are looking at, don’t understand what it is... yet willing to part good hard cash for a massively inflated watch. The 5711 ain’t cheap on the secondary market but yet people are buying it just for the sake of having “The Watch”. Im afraid when people look back later on, they will wonder what were they thinking back then

I repeat: no hate against the 5711... but people need to be aware that this is not a 70-80k watch. That’s all I’m saying. It’s worth over MSRP yes! Approximately 40-50k sure. I mean who doesn’t like their watches to go up in value but there has to be a point whereby people stop going berserk over a date only watch!
The watch market has demonstrated rather conclusively that lay persons and knowledgable collectors will pay big premiums for time only watches (doesn't even have to have a second hand, a la AP15202) and for a few chronographs but eschew most other complications. Watchmakers load complications into watches in order to extract a higher price but most buyers are looking for design and cachet and have no idea what functions complicated watches perform. Everyone over 30 years old remembers stop watches so chronographs appeal to many.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 09:16 PM   #35
Partekular
"TRF" Member

I think the point is that there is more than one market driver which was my point. People buy watches for differing reasons, some of which overlap with each other.

Simplistically speaking there is PRICE and VALUE with the well known cliche linking and contradicting each other by degrees.
Old 19 October 2020, 10:32 PM   #36
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Objectively, purely assessed as a watch alone, it's not worth 1 penny over (the repeatedly increased) list price.

The moment you get it in your hands you realise that.
It's one of those things that yields peak "utility for $" in the hunting down and purchasing phase, after that the multiplier goes south!
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:41 PM   #37
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Objectively, purely assessed as a watch alone, it's not worth 1 penny over (the repeatedly increased) list price.

The moment you get it in your hands you realise that.
It's one of those things that yields peak "utility for $" in the hunting down and purchasing phase, after that the multiplier goes south!
Quite so. In fact once a buyer has their name on the certificate it has gained VALUE to the buyer but declined in VALUE to others. As to the PRICE who knows!
Old 20 October 2020, 12:56 AM   #38
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

a tad off topic but would most people agree the 5711 is harder to get than the 5167a?
Old 20 October 2020, 02:35 AM   #39
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
a tad off topic but would most people agree the 5711 is harder to get than the 5167a?
Yes
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 08:44 AM   #40
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
In September of 2018 I was able to get on a waitlist at an AD for a 5167/1a with a 6 months delivery time estimate, which proved accurate. At that time the AD told me that they had a 7 year waitlist for a 5711a, either dial color, and would not add me to the list and a 3 year waitlist for the 5968.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 10:09 AM   #41
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
In September of 2018 I was able to get on a waitlist at an AD for a 5167/1a with a 6 months delivery time estimate, which proved accurate. At that time the AD told me that they had a 7 year waitlist for a 5711a, either dial color, and would not add me to the list and a 3 year waitlist for the 5968.
well then that answers the question. was just curious because i plan on buying my 5167a from a secondary market seller and i’ve seen 2-3 5711 on website in the last few months and have not seen a 5167a since april/may. idk i just found it weird and i thought there is no way a 5167a is tougher to get than the 5711 .just wanted to confirm that hence the question.

Last edited by Mr. Miami; 20 October 2020 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: typo
Mr. Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 10:36 AM   #42
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:

couldn't agree more. i love PP but hey, i even bawk at their msrp prices. i mean these are s/s watches afterall. don't get me wrong though, i am still gunning for a 5990 (or something like that lol)
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 10:34 PM   #43
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Don’t believe I see any change here except even higher demand for the watch. Was recently in Dubai and I saw a group of Nautilus and Aquanauts “blinged out” to the extreme with diamonds and rubies everywhere, including the bracelets. Not my taste for sure but that suggests the market isn’t set by enthusiasts.

Are a pair of Nike Dunk sneakers worth US $100,000 ? Not to me but are selling at that price.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:40 PM   #44
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Are a pair of Nike Dunk sneakers worth US $100,000 ? Not to me but are selling at that price.
Can you still buy Nike Dunk sneakers at MSRP?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 12:02 AM   #45
fsprow
"TRF" Member

I believe not. These forums place great importance on MSRP. All I care about is the market price and whether I think the item is worth it (certainly subjective).

Best to you.
Old 21 October 2020, 01:00 AM   #46
Tay821
"TRF" Member

The collective market decides whether something is 'worth it'. It only takes one Naut buyer at 75k, 95k, etc. to have others think it is worth that much. But when that buyer who MUST have the piece at ANY cost is gone because his/her needs are satisfied, well....
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 06:34 AM   #47
fsprow
"TRF" Member

My meaning was “worth it to me”. That means in comparison with other purchases, both other watches or different goods. Obviously a decision only I can make, only indirectly related to the “market” for a watch.
Old 21 October 2020, 08:29 AM   #48
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I am what I would call "Patek curious." The Naut/Aqua line is certainly attractive to me. It's an iconic design and a nice watch. But if I ever spent $70 or $80k on it -- a SS time/date simple watch -- I think I would get it home and have a huge pit in my stomach as I realized what I paid and what I received.

Incidentally, with the price of my Daytona having really escalated as well, there is no way I'd be buying one at today's +/- MSRP level.

If I didn't own a watch I loved already and was looking now, I'd probably look at a Patek a/c or something else that was not in fashion rather than chase after the current hot Rolex/PP/FPJ watches.
Old 21 October 2020, 06:36 PM   #49
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Doesn't WF offer a "buy back guarantee" within the first year if you opt for it at the point of purchase?

If so I'd imagine them to be behind any downward trends for that reason, everyone would want to sell them back!?! Just a thought, I'm not sure how their buy back is actually structured because I didn't take it
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote