The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 October 2020, 05:58 AM   #1
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

Patek Sport is Played Out

Going to share what is sure to be a controversial view. Patek used to be understated elegance on the highest level. I emphasized “used” to be. Now I feel like every rapper, athlete, actor and douche with $50k+ to burn goes for the aquanaut or nautilus, and this is only amplified by social media. The result is high grey market prices and flashiness. I can’t even say that non-watch people don’t stare when I wear an aquanaut. Many do, surprisingly. They actually know what it is. Don’t get me wrong, I buy and keep when I get an allocation, but it’s just not the same. I pay $40, but do I really want to be walking around with something that is worth $70-80? Not very understated anymore. It’s a double-edged sword in some ways. Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is Patek sport is played out. It’s become garish. Maybe the bubble will burst. In the meantime I’m not jumping on the bandwagon, I’m jumping off. Please don’t crucify me, everyone is entitled to their own view :)
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 06:06 AM   #2
sp006
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with the points you brought up except that none of the things you mentioned had anything to do with the actual watch (movement, build, size, feel,etc).

I do agree with you, however, that increasingly more people know the value of what's on your wrist...and that is never a good thing. It tends to attract the wrong types of characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 06:17 AM   #3
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I think it will burst and the new price increase won’t help, AP’s on the rise in celeb circles women included

Old 3 October 2020, 06:19 AM   #4
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
Nothing wrong with the points you brought up except that none of the things you mentioned had anything to do with the actual watch (movement, build, size, feel,etc).

I do agree with you, however, that increasingly more people know the value of what's on your wrist...and that is never a good thing. It tends to attract the wrong types of characters.

I hear you. Their watches are exquisite, no debate there.
Old 3 October 2020, 07:53 AM   #5
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I wear and love my 5167a on rubber because its so comfortable and flies under the radar even more than any of my AP's or Rolexes or even my 5711.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:00 AM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Nobody has ever noticed my 5167 or 5712 and said oh wow a PP. so I guess it depends where you live and who you spend time around . So I would respectfully disagree that , to me, PP sports references are not “played out”. And honestly, as someone who never dresses up, I am glad that PP has these two lines that appeal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:15 AM   #7
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
To be honest, I really couldn’t care who else likes or dislikes Patek, who recognises or doesn’t recognise my watch. I think I’ve been in this game too long. The only thing I’m interested in is if I like the watch.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
To be honest, I really couldn’t care who else likes or dislikes Patek, who recognises or doesn’t recognise my watch. I think I’ve been in this game too long. The only thing I’m interested in is if I like the watch.
Same.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:54 AM   #9
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Thank you for posting something different, interesting and somewhat provocative.

My internet bubble isolates me from celebrities and watches so I have been unaware of PP's ascendance in the idolatry of the hoi polloi. Nearly two decades ago, I remember warnings in TZ about drivers being forced off the road by robbers who glimpsed gold Rolexes. But in the intervening years, the proliferation of Rolex lookalikes must have spoilt their fun. It also made Rolexes anonymous--for which I am sure many owners are grateful.

But PP had always been anonymous on purpose. Do you think 1 out of 10,000 persons could recognize a PP today? [Excluding Hong Kong and Singapore residents.] Even the sports models are not especially distinctive when compared to the thousands of mass market eye-catchers or the handful of copycat fancy brands such as Hublot. I posted somewhere on TRF that two days ago, when I wore my PP to an AD to order a strap the two clerks instructed me to bring in the actual watch. Even they were unable to recognize mine as a PP. Also, I encourage you to look up a recent G Shock thread in TRF's Non Rolex watch forum where you will find Casio's homage to Gerald Genta--an early entry because it was made only a few years after PP's introduction of the Nautilus.

On the other hand, I would welcome a time when everyone could spot a PP or share a jar of Gray Poupon, improvise poetry or converse on imponderables, and do whatever each and every one does best. Would that be when deeds matter and money would be obsolete: "Where no man has gone before."

Again, thank you for the thought provoking post.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:59 AM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateks View Post
Same.
Plus two
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Nobody has ever noticed my 5167 or 5712 and said oh wow a PP. so I guess it depends where you live and who you spend time around . So I would respectfully disagree that , to me, PP sports references are not “played out”. And honestly, as someone who never dresses up, I am glad that PP has these two lines that appeal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
i 100% agree with this. although i’m still eyeing for a 5167a it is not because of “hype” or social media. just a solid watch.
Old 3 October 2020, 10:15 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
So are tacos but I’m still eating em.
Old 3 October 2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Patek sport has never been under the radar in terms of the nautilus or the aquanaut. Does it matter if the watch is 30k or 70k? Seriously that has little real impact imo.

The dress watches are for sure.

But you are right. Flashy material things are garish. Are you as offended to drive a fancy automobile or stay at a 5 star hotel?

I mean if your inference is you dont want to be associated with rappers so be it. But it really is what you make of it. Some would say what you have in common if you wear the same watch is you both like watches and are successful enough to do so. How that is a bad thing is perplexing to me.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 11:40 AM   #14
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
This is a case of too much fame can be unwelcome. Patek is still under the radar in my view. It all depends on where you live and in which circles you hang out.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 11:41 AM   #15
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russw View Post
to be honest, i really couldn’t care who else likes or dislikes patek, who recognises or doesn’t recognise my watch. I think i’ve been in this game too long. The only thing i’m interested in is if i like the watch.
+3
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 11:47 AM   #16
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

If all those Patek spotters have spoiled it for you, good thing you’ve still go Rolex to fall back on. Nobody would ever recognize one of those!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 05:34 PM   #17
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarped80 View Post
Going to share what is sure to be a controversial view. Patek used to be understated elegance on the highest level. I emphasized “used” to be. Now I feel like every rapper, athlete, actor and douche with $50k+ to burn goes for the aquanaut or nautilus, and this is only amplified by social media. The result is high grey market prices and flashiness. I can’t even say that non-watch people don’t stare when I wear an aquanaut. Many do, surprisingly. They actually know what it is. Don’t get me wrong, I buy and keep when I get an allocation, but it’s just not the same. I pay $40, but do I really want to be walking around with something that is worth $70-80? Not very understated anymore. It’s a double-edged sword in some ways. Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is Patek sport is played out. It’s become garish. Maybe the bubble will burst. In the meantime I’m not jumping on the bandwagon, I’m jumping off. Please don’t crucify me, everyone is entitled to their own view :)
This post is utterly and absolutely correct. Well done for saying so.

This will make you all laugh:

I got a great price on a 5970p from a dealer to whom I briefly discussed trading in my 5980/1r in partial exchange. He said that my watch was “largely purchased by those attempting to pay in raw cash, unable to make a wire transfer or pay on a bank card.
What does that tell you?”

The quality of manufacture of Patek sports is unimpeachable IMO. But as a stylish, understated accessory worn by connoisseurs of haute horology, it’s totally dead.
The Nautilus/Aquanaut is the horological equivalent of chrome spinners on your car.

Big muscles? Check. Tatoos? Check. Lambo Huracan? Check. Nautilus? Check.
You’ve Insta made it!
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 07:58 PM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I do agree with RussW's view, but then just yesterday I saw an advert for TOWIE, the horrendous UK scripted reality show basically about used car salesman, and this guy, not even attractive so no idea why he's on the show as that is the whole point, was wearing a SS Nautilus, not the expected gold Rolex, and it just made me think damn, they are getting everywhere now. At least when rappers or footballers are wearing them they have some talent and a genuine following, these guys are just pseudo-glamorous desperados, famous for only being famous.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 08:05 PM   #19
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
As someone else said, it depends on the circles you move in. Other than a watch enthusiast friend of mine, nobody has ever commented on my watches, other than Rolex. The AP’s and Patek fly under the radar.

Sure, a bunch of celebs, musicians, and athletes now wear Patek, but most people I know wouldn’t pay any attention to the watches their wearing, so doesn’t really change anything.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 08:24 PM   #20
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I do agree with RussW's view, but then just yesterday I saw an advert for TOWIE, the horrendous UK scripted reality show basically about used car salesman, and this guy, not even attractive so no idea why he's on the show as that is the whole point, was wearing a SS Nautilus, not the expected gold Rolex, and it just made me think damn, they are getting everywhere now. At least when rappers or footballers are wearing them they have some talent and a genuine following, these guys are just pseudo-glamorous desperados, famous for only being famous.
That’s actually depressing.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 08:39 PM   #21
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
If all those Patek spotters have spoiled it for you, good thing you’ve still go Rolex to fall back on. Nobody would ever recognize one of those!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:06 PM   #22
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post

Big muscles? Check. Tatoos? Check. Lambo Huracan? Check. Nautilus? Check.
You’ve Insta made it!
Might be time for a new username?
Old 3 October 2020, 09:09 PM   #23
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Better to "pay $40 and be walking around with something worth $70-80" than to pay $40 and be walking around with something worth $10-20.
But that's just my opinion.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:09 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
It is the time of PP and Rolex and a few other Boutique brands being in the spotlight. But just a easily the people that create the hype will move on and it will be something else.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:17 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:40 PM   #26
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:51 PM   #27
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarped80 View Post
Now I feel like every rapper, athlete, actor and douche with $50k+ to burn goes for the aquanaut or nautilus, and this is only amplified by social media. The result is high grey market prices and flashiness.
or for a nice WT

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 11:14 PM   #28
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Patek is more recognised today and every lifestyle magazine has a Patek advert, the advertising bill for the year must be a fortune

Old 4 October 2020, 12:06 AM   #29
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha good point. I like my Rolex Explorer I a ton. Not too flashy, not expensive, but tip top quality. Really love it. Also my Tudor Pelagos. I think Lange are real sleepers. That’s a nice watch that’s a bit more out of the spotlight. Again don’t get me wrong- people buy and wear watches for a ton of reasons, bc they appreciate the craftsmanship, they like them as toys, they want to show off, they want a status symbol, or they simply want to commemorate some accomplishment or event. I have them because they are really cool and I like to have something that is high quality, I appreciate, and is mine.

Some people mentioned it a few times that it depends on the circles you travel in. That’s true. I live in a big city and tend to be exposed to a ton of people looking to show off, and everyone has one of these watches. My wife showed me some pics of her friend who just had a baby and they took some professional pics of all of them in a park somewhere and the guy had an aquanaut. Ah fuck I said. Just trying too hard. You have to know these types of people to know the type.

I could of course say screw everyone let me just appreciate something I like. Totally valid. Just not me. It’s just too trendy now among any group that is trying to be trendy. Its like the Birkin Bag. Come on already. Anyone who is rich and is desperate to display status is dying to get one and then prances around with it on display, as if anyone cares or should care.

I’m taking the funds from my 5168 and rolling them into a Lange that’s half the price and banking the rest.
Old 4 October 2020, 12:21 AM   #30
Oryx
"TRF" Member

interesting post - I do agree with the OP.

I do wish PP was still below the radar but with social media nothing seems to be anymore
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote