Watch: Tudor Big Block
I’ve had many rolexes

Only have the sped master moonwatch at the moment

Pretty satisfied for now
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:04 PM   #62
Kevain
"TRF" Member

I have one of each - a Planet Ocean and an Explorer. Very satisfied with the combo.
Kevain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:07 PM   #63
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevain View Post
I have one of each - a Planet Ocean and an Explorer. Very satisfied with the combo.
That's actually a great combo! It would be my first choice of a Rolex and Omega combo too.
Old 28 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #64
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Problem with omega is the confusing ranges with seemingly limited special editions and incredibly confusing serial numbers. For example I don’t think a speedmaster moonwatch pro has significantly changed in over 29 years but there are more variants than I’ve had hit dinners. Which puts me right off. Rolex is simple relatively, easy to ge to grips with major lines and very few SE that dilute the brand. No doubt omega make good watches at the price point but unless you’re an omega fanboy it’s a right minefield... and that’s what separates them IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 09:01 AM   #65
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

I like them both. Rolex for the history, name, and classic looks. Omega for the style, and variety.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 11:20 PM   #66
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
Problem with omega is the confusing ranges with seemingly limited special editions and incredibly confusing serial numbers. For example I don’t think a speedmaster moonwatch pro has significantly changed in over 29 years but there are more variants than I’ve had hit dinners. Which puts me right off. Rolex is simple relatively, easy to ge to grips with major lines and very few SE that dilute the brand. No doubt omega make good watches at the price point but unless you’re an omega fanboy it’s a right minefield... and that’s what separates them IMHO

I see it as giving people a lot of choice but keeping traditional models. Spoilt for choice whilst still complementing their history.
Old 30 October 2019, 01:26 AM   #67
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

An interesting comparison
https://www.fratellowatches.com/role...ega-seamaster/
anonymousmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 07:28 AM   #68
jnewell
"TRF" Member

I like the advice at the end: buy what moves you. Emphasis on "you," IMHO, not on what will move other people. :)
Old 1 November 2019, 01:44 AM   #69
jpsmoove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevain View Post
I have the PO and I’m trynna find a Rolex to pair it with. Exp1 on the short list. I can’t pay no 15 large for a watch, would owe my wife too many hand bags
jpsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:01 AM   #70
rkim11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I have a Planet Ocean LE Liquidmetal and a 50th Sub. I simply think the Planet Ocean looks better than the Submariner.
rkim11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:02 AM   #71
Gdoc26
"TRF" Member

after a dozen Rolex I bought a moonphase yesterday. cant wait to get it on my wrist.
Gdoc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:18 AM   #72
Flyoverguy
"TRF" Member

I prefer the vintage look to the newer blingy aspect of the modern examples form both. Modern Rolex subs, SD and GMT are just too shiny for me.

Movements have gotten better for both though so that is a factor.

But I wear and enjoy my speedy FOIS and SkyD as the mood hits - along with my Breitlings.
Flyoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 07:45 AM   #73
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Both are great marques.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 08:09 AM   #74
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoc26 View Post
after a dozen Rolex I bought a moonphase yesterday. cant wait to get it on my wrist.
Good for you! Enjoy your new watch.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 08:18 AM   #75
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I have two in mind and will be done.
Eventually a PP and an Omega.
Old 20 November 2019, 09:29 AM   #76
nda
"TRF" Member

I have both - a Sky Dweller and a Planet Ocean GMT. Ignoring the additional complexity of the Sky Dweller, I would say they're equally good watches. Both iconic brands and extremely well made. Omega does not quite have the cachet of a Rolex - but I think watch lovers would rate Omega as highly. My Omega probably has a more beautiful mechanism than the Rolex - it's very well finished.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 10:55 AM   #77
DVDA
"TRF" Member

Watch: THE Explorer
I have both and for me I jump between the do based on type...

Ie Planet Ocean vs Sub/Sea Dweller I pick Planet Ocean
Broad Arrow vs Daytona, I pick Daytona.

And Moonwatch is just cool, in its own category.
Old 24 November 2019, 03:42 AM   #78
KZ1000
"TRF" Member

I have a diverse collection of both brands. With the new Rolex business model, my choice to now concentrate more on Omega was an easy one. There are certain things I'll wait years for, not a watch. The latest Seamaster is awesome! They have really stepped up their game. Omega has such a rich history that I think is definitely underrated.
KZ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 09:04 AM   #79
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with this. My watches are a luxury lifestyle purchase. Luxury is about getting what I want when I want it. About the only thing I “wait” on in life is my wife getting ready. I certainly don’t wait to buy a watch nor would I ever play games with a dealer to make a retail purchase for a watch.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 09:05 PM   #80
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

There are pro Omega, pro Rolex. Both camps do not open minded.
I will even say, they are idiots.

Rolex still has the advantage, it must be said, to keep much better value...but in terms of product and quality, it's close.
We must recognize that there is good in each brand.

The ideal is to own both.

Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 09:17 PM   #81
"TRF" Member

There are multiple Rolex that I love and have. And than there is only one, Speedmaster
0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 10:26 PM   #82
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I agree with this. My watches are a luxury lifestyle purchase. Luxury is about getting what I want when I want it. About the only thing I “wait” on in life is my wife getting ready. I certainly don’t wait to buy a watch nor would I ever play games with a dealer to make a retail purchase for a watch.

Precisely. On the once or twice a decade occasion I can treat myself to a timepiece I really want, I can't have the task of buying it from a shop being a burden. I wasn't prepared to play the Rolex waiting game so bought this. Just as well built as any Rolex SS diver

The fact the Joe Blogs doesn't recognise it as a prestigious watch because he wasn't seen some rapper named after a coin wear it, that's ok what me.
Old 25 November 2019, 07:32 AM   #83
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Rolex does the same thing and has slowly evolved to the point where they have perfected what a watch should be according to Rolex. There’s no flash, needless engineering, risk taking. You get a fabulous watch. Every little detail has been thought out. It may look simple but it has taken decades to perfect it.

Omega takes a more shotgun approach to the watch with all their limited editions. They are not afraid of trying new things compared to a Rolex.

Take a look at the planet ocean. 600m wr, can get it in titanium with a rubber insert in the bezel, clear caseback, and coaxial movement. Despite the lousy resale, it is a fantastic value if you don’t flip. It’s not perfect- it’s a bit thick, the divers extension comes undone too easily, but I appreciate the vastly different approach. Love my PO titanium.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 11:50 AM   #84
BlueNote
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Omega

I own both. Currently I have 3 Omegas (AT Skyfall, SMPc and an 18k GMT DeVille. I’ll never sell the first two and all 3 run within +2, equal to Rolex standards. For Rolex I have a SD and a DJ, they’re not leaving my collection either.

Omega seems to experiment with dial designs more, not all of which appeal to me but at least they try to innovate. And Omega is developing some legit movement improvements.

Rolex sticks with classic enduring dial designs and slowly makes slight changes to improve upon their classicism. They introduce new movements infrequently but they set the standard for ruggedness and reliability.

I wear watches for myself. No one ever notices what watches I wear except perhaps my immediate family. Both brands have their merits but my next watch will be another Rolex.
BlueNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 01:15 PM   #85
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNote View Post
I wear watches for myself. No one ever notices what watches I wear except perhaps my immediate family. Both brands have their merits but my next watch will be another Rolex.
Just curious...to even out the numbers at 3 or for a different reason?

Is there a particular one you've got your eye on?

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 04:24 PM   #86
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Rolex v Omega

Duplicate post — deleted

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 04:38 PM   #87
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex v Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
I have a Rolex GMT and a omega speedmaster professional (and a 1957 seamaster)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the same pair.

I’m a one watch guy, though. So I’m trying to decide which to lose: the 1675 or the SMP300gmt.

The gmt is a classic, but I also never take my watch off and wonder if the SMP won’t be more robust (I am pretty hard on my watches and wear them while I lift, chop wood, mechanic, etc).

The SMP fits my wrist a little better, but I’ve always loved the proportions of the 1675. What puts me off the SMP is the lack of 0-24 bezel and the bezel operation feel (which I dislike compared to the friction gmt bezel).

I’m new to Omega ownership — I only bought my SMP while my 1675 was at RSC (a bit fed up of the largeness of my Bremont). I’ve been very impressed with the SMP (I updated the clasp to the new gen. with the micro adjustment), to be honest.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 25 November 2019, 04:52 PM   #88
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhc88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I think the re-sale market answers this question nicely!

Simple and effective answer

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
This only indicates that one is more sought-after than the other or that the market makes one harder to obtain than the other. It does not tell us that one is necessarily better than the other and that the justification for being more sought-after is because of betterness.

Old 26 November 2019, 01:51 PM   #89
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnyc View Post
The quality is better on Rolex. I own both brands.
I could not disagree more. I have owned hundreds of each. You also need to compare certain models to each other to even make a blanket statement like this. What are you comparing?

Omega makes a damn good watch!
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 01:58 PM   #90
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The two camp argument is played out.
Own them both and love them both. Omega is more enthusiast and less brand cachet oriented these days. Their horological history is significant and impressive.
These days Omega METAS movements and fit and finish is spectacular. I have owned both along the way but Omega has gravitated to a higher level recently in their METAS movements and watch construction. Their bracelets are now excelent with micro adjustment and their fit and finish is loupe worthy.

My most recent Omega acquisition this summer. This is their master chronometer planet ocean chronograph. The chronograph buttons can be pushed under the water and I have done so on many of dives so far. It is sub 1 second a week movement with or without the chronograph running and is using the superior dual barrel mainspring that regulates its power reserve more accurately thought out its entire range. Ceramic rotor bearings, etc... If your into movements that excels in every category then the cal.9900 is the movement.

The Omega vs Rolex rivalry is mainly kept alive by uneducated fanboys of each brand.
It’s not Ferrari or Porsche? The correct answer is both in the garage.

Well said. I have the titanium 9900. Awesome watch!

As for all the resale comments....buy USED! I won't pay retail for either brands!
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote