The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2016, 04:39 AM   #61
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
I'd say no unless you will be parking the brand new hulk in the safe.

For the past 5 years of ownership, flip it for something new and different or continue to enjoy the watch until it runs out of COSC, then decide.
Old 18 October 2016, 05:02 AM   #62
Zippo
"TRF" Member

Thank for all the responses

To those who are suggesting that I can't possibly have a love for watches- you are wrong. I have loved my watch since the day I bought it from the AD. In fact, the highlight of my experience was when I first purchased it, sized it, and peeled off the stickers on my sparkly new Hulk. Since then I have worn it every single day without exception. It keeps great time (+1.5/day) and it is in great condition, but not like new condition. It received a light polish when it was in for regulation recently at my local RSC and has taken on the usual surface swirls since.

My question was simply a financial one: If it costs $500 come service time would I be better off instead spending an extra $500-1k to have a brand new sparkly Hulk with a 5 year warranty and enjoy the "buying new" experience all over again.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 05:12 AM   #63
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I never thought of it that way, but if you could add 1K (or less) and trade for a Brand New Hulk, I would probably do it. Get a new warrantee. Current recommended servicing is every 10 years, I believe.

You can't go wrong either way. The Hulk is a winner, old or new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post

To those who are suggesting that I can't possibly have a love for watches- you are wrong. I have loved my watch since the day I bought it from the AD. In fact, the highlight of my experience was when I first purchased it, sized it, and peeled off the stickers on my sparkly new Hulk. Since then I have worn it every single day without exception. It keeps great time (+1.5/day) and it is in great condition, but not like new condition. It received a light polish when it was in for regulation recently at my local RSC and has taken on the usual surface swirls since.

My question was simply a financial one: If it costs $500 come service time would I be better off instead spending an extra $500-1k to have a brand new sparkly Hulk with a 5 year warranty and enjoy the "buying new" experience all over again.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 05:16 AM   #64
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
You should buy your watches from Costco so that you can just return it for a new one every few years (totally kidding, don't do that. I love you Costco).

Go ahead and sell it to buy a new one if you value the warranty that much. Especially since you like the experience of buying it from an AD. I bet quite a few people would pay $500 for an extra 3 years of warranty. It's your money, and only you can know what makes you happy
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 05:18 AM   #65
watchnut73
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona
Quote:

I understand you.

I recently flipped, but I'm now missing it.
Just keep and enjoy it, being 5 years old this one of the early ones, mine was 6 years old.
You never know yours maybe end up collectible? With Rolex changes of fonts and dials etc? But that may never happen

Just enjoy it and service in about another 3 years
watchnut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 05:23 AM   #66
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
You'll never sell it for the prices that people are asking, and when you buy the new one, don't you fellows have sales tax up in Canada? That's not inconsequential.

Trust me. I sold my Hulk a few months ago. Sure, everyone is asking $8K (or whatever) in the USA, but no one wanted to pay me that much. I just kept lowering the price until it sold - that's the only way to properly gauge the actual market price.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 05:28 AM   #67
Zippo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
You'll never sell it for the prices that people are asking, and when you buy the new one, don't you fellows have sales tax up in Canada? That's not inconsequential.

Trust me. I sold my Hulk a few months ago. Sure, everyone is asking $8K (or whatever) in the USA, but no one wanted to pay me that much. I just kept lowering the price until it sold - that's the only way to properly gauge the actual market price.

8k US converts 10.5k CAD. Even if I sold for 7k US which I'm pretty sure I could get, I would put $9200 CAD in my pocket. As I mentioned, I could BNIB from AD for around 10k out the door (including tax).
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 08:40 AM   #68
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
8k US converts 10.5k CAD. Even if I sold for 7k US which I'm pretty sure I could get, I would put $9200 CAD in my pocket. As I mentioned, I could BNIB from AD for around 10k out the door (including tax).
I was in Toronto a few weeks ago on a family occasion and was checking the used prices that were being listed online there (kijiji ?) Some insane asking prices (even with the dollar conversion) people were asking for, which made me smile and move on.

I have also smiled at some of the asking prices for the used Explorer 1 watches here in U.S., especially when compared with what one can get the new ones online from U.S. sellers. Can't understand why would anyone in their right mind buy a used one at those high prices which sometimes are only about 10%-15% away from a new online price.

What you are saying is that you can achieve purchasing a new watch, (with 15% or whatever it is these days tax included in ontario), from an AD, at about 9% higher price than you can sell your used watch for. This makes the flip a no brainer in my opinion. (and if you can pull that, "no brainer" term can also be used to describe a buyer of your used watch.)

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 08:45 AM   #69
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
sounds like you got it all figured out!

go for it as clearly this is what you want to do

i agree you can get a 116610LV out the door taxes in for between $10000-$10500cdn.....

question is are you going to sell over the internet to someone in the USA and get US funds and than convert or are you going to list in cdn $ and have the buyer convert to cdn first....

than theres the shipping costs? whos paying that? also duties for the 'buyer'...whos covering that?

a 5 year old watch will surely have to be marked down to cover a future 'service'

maybe just sell in Canada....you get $8000 cdn and pay $10200 for a new 116610LV bnib from AD.....thats a $2200 difference....

now we have to subtract $500 say for service(what you would have to pay for existing LV)....final cost $1700 extra for a BNIB rolex with 5 year warranty......

is it really worth it?

your #s are absolute best case situation on selling and best case sale of BNIB LV.......if you can pull it off...go for it
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 09:05 AM   #70
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Where in Canada are you? You are extremely lucky and/or have AD connections if you can get a BNIB LV for $10K+ only.

Here in Vancouver and based on what I know, the best discount you can probably get for an LV is 3.5% (payable in cash). Other ADs here don't even offer discount for this reference. In addition, the waiting time is way too long - anywhere from 4 to 16 months depending on the AD.

If you're what saying is going to happen, I would say go for it!! Good luck!
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 08:42 AM   #71
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Wow...
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 10:29 AM   #72
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Why buy something that you can own for a lifetime, if you don't want to deal with service? Selling is a PITA.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 12:33 PM   #73
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I went into RSC Toronto this past week and asked how much a service would be for a Submariner. The lady behind the counter asked if it had a date or not, I politely said had a date; she checked her service book and told me it cost $590 + tax. Now assuming the watch doesn't require any new parts etc. it will cost ($590 * 1.13 (tax) = $667)

Let's say for example you sell your watch for min. $7000US with the current conversion ($1US = $1.30CDN - TD Canada Conversion) = $9,100 CDN + $667 (minimum charge for service) = $9,767 and you say you can get the new LV for $10,000 - difference of $233; for 3 extra years.

As other members have stated, if you can get the new one for that price, and sell yours for what you expect then I would say go for it!

Good luck
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 12:35 PM   #74
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Interesting approach

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote