The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 April 2020, 02:44 AM   #1
WC74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
610 vs 753

Hello and apologies for making another thread but I’ve narrowed down my choice of first Panerai to 2 watches, the Pam00753 and the Pam00610, and I can’t decide which one to go for.

What I can’t decide is whether the 610 is worth the extra $1500 or so. For that I get the see-through case back and 5 days longer power reserve.

I only have a 3 watch collection at the moment and I switch them round daily to keep them all wound (all automatics). I like to keep all the watches wound up so I don’t have to set the time. For that reason the 8 days power reserve could be beneficial as I could leave it in the box for a little longer before having to wind it up.

Aside from having more power reserve, is the movement in the 610 any more advanced than in the less expensive 753?

The 753 has the “flat sausage” dial and the 610 has the “sandwich” dial. I prefer the sausage dial myself but the 610 does have a cleaner looking dial without the logo on it. So from a dial point of view they are about equal to me.

Which would you go for? I know only I can decide really, but just looking for opinions.

Thank you in advance for any views!

1971816.png971908.png
WC74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 04:19 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Personally, I’d pass on both. Not a fan of the snap-on back of the 753 (but otherwise like it), and I’ve never warmed to the “8 DAYS” text of the 610 (and others).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 04:23 AM   #3
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I owned the 610. There's a couple issues with the items you see as "upsides" to the model. For one, the sandwich dial is weak. It's barely a sandwich dial and has considerably less depth than my other sandwich dial models. It might as well be a sausage dial. Secondly, the P5000 8 day movement isn't very accurate. It runs extremely fast when fully wound. I had two models with this movement and found the exact same time keeping: gaining almost two minutes in the first day or two before evening out over time. If you like to keep your watch fully wound, it will continually run fast. It bothered me enough that I got rid of both my watches with this movement. I prefer the P3000 3 day movement. It's far more reliable.

Personal preference... I prefer the logo to the "8 Days" on the dial. I also like the strap on the 753 more (not that big a deal). The 753 doesn't have a display caseback, but the movement really isn't much to look at anyway. My only concern about the 753 is that I believe that the caseback isn't screw-down. That's really a shame from a technical standpoint. All Panerai watches are technically dive watches. They should have screw down casebacks.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 05:12 AM   #4
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
The 610 does not have a sandwich dial. Compare it to a 210 and you will see.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 08:07 AM   #5
WC74
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the posts. I appreciate the insight.

One more question, and forgive my ignorance, I'm not that knowledgeable with the technical side of watches and am especially new to Panerai. Why is it a problem that the 753 doesn't have a screw down caseback? The water resistance still appears to be 100m which is sufficient for me.

Thanks again.
Old 29 April 2020, 11:33 AM   #6
burneyr
"TRF" Member

Two reasons against the snap back case speaking for myself -

One, a snap back case is utterly ridiculous and insulting at this price point.

Two, it is a cheapening of the brand and not historically a Panerai characteristic.

I wouldn't purchase an 8 days movement given the known issues with that caliber.

I'd recommend a 210 myself as it is the same size as what you are looking at.
burneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 08:54 PM   #7
WC74
"TRF" Member

OK thanks, burneyr.

I was hoping to go new as I'm not so confident picking a used watch but think I will go back to the drawing board and look at used as that widens the available choice. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 29 April 2020, 10:44 PM   #8
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burneyr View Post
Two reasons against the snap back case speaking for myself -

One, a snap back case is utterly ridiculous and insulting at this price point.

Two, it is a cheapening of the brand and not historically a Panerai characteristic.

I wouldn't purchase an 8 days movement given the known issues with that caliber.

I'd recommend a 210 myself as it is the same size as what you are looking at.
Excellent summary. A snap back case IS an insult. I get that few are really ever going to use most Panerai for diving (especially a Radiomir), but that is the historical intention of the watch. If a brand like Panerai is going to hype their models and use all this WW2 combat imagery to sell watches, then they should be built to reasonable specifications for a dive watch. You can't go on and on about commandos and "history with the sea" and all this other nonsense and your watch doesn't have a screwdown back.

It's just another example of Panerai short changing customers.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 11:26 PM   #9
stardiver
"TRF" Member

I agree with all the points about the snapback caseback being unforgivable - BUT, I don't think you should let that stop you from enjoying a watch you really love otherwise. The points about Panerai straying from the true toolish history of the brand is annoying but if you really love the piece don't stop yourself from owning it just because of something like that.

Also I've had a 796 with the 5000(1) movement that has run essentially non stop for 6 months straight and it's been flawless. Only a second or two fast per day. Otherwise it's been a solid movement.
stardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:49 AM   #10
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
I owned 610 for last 2 years and tend to agree while fully wound it runs faster, but can be easily adjusted at SC under warranty if needed.

I run some tests and my 8 days movement in fact runs for over 9 days ( 216 hours) which is nice surprise.
Average accuracy is approx 15-20 sec a day fast. While it may be not acceptable to others it does not bother me at all.

I am also satisfied with lume, which last for several hours, at least with my watch.
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:58 AM   #11
ajas
"TRF" Member

Just quick photo of 610 lume after being few hours on desk. I wore it through most of the day.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
Old 30 April 2020, 03:33 AM   #12
emtee
"TRF" Member

Just to say for those talking about the accuracy of the P5000 movement I got my 564 in March 2019 and it is super accurate. I don’t get the banking issue where it runs fast when fully wound but understand that’s an issue on earlier models. Pretty sure they fixed that problem based on my experience and what I’ve read elsewhere.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 09:33 PM   #13
himanshu_j
"TRF" Member

The 610 seems to have been discontinued as per my local Boutique. Could anyone confirm the same?
himanshu_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:01 PM   #14
ajas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
The 610 seems to have been discontinued as per my local Boutique. Could anyone confirm the same?
Still available according to local AD in KL and Panerai Website
Old 15 February 2021, 02:56 AM   #15
Fred48
Banned

Just to clarify, the 753 has a "driven" case, which, as I understand it, is between a snap back and a screw down. And, has been pointed out, the 753 has 100 meters water resistance.
I really like my 753 as it is accurate, a true 3 days, and the dial is symmetrical (3,6,9,12) and basic; a tool watch that just tells time, and tells it well.
And the strap is the most comfortable leather strap I've ever worn.
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 08:41 AM   #16
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC74 View Post
I prefer the sausage dial myself
Me too! I was more focused on finding one with Sandwich dial but am pleased I went for the 609 with sausage dial (love the 610 too).
dg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 08:42 AM   #17
dg88
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
Just quick photo of 610 lume after being few hours on desk. I wore it through most of the day.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

json verify

Mine tonight
Old 24 February 2021, 09:00 AM   #18
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Just to say for those talking about the accuracy of the P5000 movement I got my 564 in March 2019 and it is super accurate. I don’t get the banking issue where it runs fast when fully wound but understand that’s an issue on earlier models. Pretty sure they fixed that problem based on my experience and what I’ve read elsewhere.
My 2017 609 does seem to run fast. Results so far are as follows (excuse the randomness):

21.02.21 - 1300hrs. Set exactly in time with https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/uk/london

22.02.21 - 1300hrs check. +6 seconds

23.02.21 - 1530hrs. +15 seconds

23.02.22 - 2035hrw. +16 seconds

I expect tomorrow at 1300hrs (if I remember) the watch will be about 24 seconds too fast but to be honest, this all feels a bit *too* obsessive. Since when have I ever cared or noticed a watch to be even one MINUTE too fast? I think we need to acknowledge these manual watches are about as 'individual' as they get, relax and just enjoy them as they are. Admittedly, my GMT Master II is far more inaccurate! Perhaps this is the part where you tell me I should be concerned about my readings? :/
Old 24 February 2021, 09:55 AM   #19
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I just sold my 754, there isn’t anything wrong with it. The problem is that you miss the Panerai experience, is like ordering spaghetti marinara without the marinara sauce. There is nothing wrong with the spaghetti, is fine but you are missing something.
I would recommend a manual 47mm Panerai , keep it simple

Note : 754 is the same watch as the 753 but with small seconds.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 10:37 AM   #20
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC74 View Post

[...]

What I can’t decide is whether the 610 is worth the extra $1500 or so. For that I get the see-through case back and 5 days longer power reserve.

I only have a 3 watch collection at the moment and I switch them round daily to keep them all wound (all automatics). I like to keep all the watches wound up so I don’t have to set the time. For that reason the 8 days power reserve could be beneficial as I could leave it in the box for a little longer before having to wind it up.

[...]

The 753 has the “flat sausage” dial and the 610 has the “sandwich” dial. I prefer the sausage dial myself but the 610 does have a cleaner looking dial without the logo on it. So from a dial point of view they are about equal to me.

[...]

I bought one of the first PAM560 models (Q serial) at the time. I chose it for the longer power reserve and sandwich. The dial is far more special than painted. The P.5000 in-house movement feels refined with a smooth tactile feedback when winding and the power reserve makes it SUPER comfortable to own: I wind on Saturdays, enjoy whenever I wish during the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
[...] Secondly, the P5000 8 day movement isn't very accurate. It runs extremely fast when fully wound. I had two models with this movement and found the exact same time keeping: gaining almost two minutes in the first day or two before evening out over time. If you like to keep your watch fully wound, it will continually run fast. It bothered me enough that I got rid of both my watches with this movement.

I did have exactly those banking issues (running fast) with my early version of the P.5000 Having been spoiled by the precision of my Omega with a 8500 movement, it drove me mad too, to the point of considering getting rid of it despite how much I loved its design.

However, the issues were resolved through warranty service after my amazing AD liaised directly with Panerai a few years ago. As far as I can tell without a seconds hand, my PAM keeps excellent time consistently now. It gains perhaps 20 or so seconds per week / about 1 minute every three weeks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post

Agreed That is my experience too. I would not have any reservations on the movement now.
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote