The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 1 January 2021, 03:57 PM   #1
tarek61
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM112
Panerai 692 vs. Rolex SD43

Happy new year everyone! I’m between two watches that aren’t related but would love to hear your feedback to make a decision. I love the look of the panerai but I’m also looking at it from an investment prospective. Rolex tends to hold the value very well over the years and bc of the major shortage of all their watches, I found people selling them over MSRP for both the pre-owned and new ones while the Panerai 692 always available and I can get a good discount on both the Pre-owned and new ones. I’m asking this question on the Rolex discussion and many of you will be bias but which one would you go for?
tarek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 05:19 PM   #2
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
This topic is usually one that doesn’t really garner responses... I think it’s clear on market pricing. Rolex SS vs most other watches are really incomparable with respect to appreciation. Buy both and get the Pam preowned. You will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 06:13 PM   #3
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
if you want to be smart and willing to wait and search, you could either get the 692 used at 35% discount over MSRP or get the relatively easy to get rolex sport model SD43 at MSRP. both are beautiful watches imho.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 06:14 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek61 View Post
which one would you go for?
The one I want more.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 06:43 PM   #5
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

My main two watches are the sd43 and the Panerai 979. I love them both.. I try to avoid the idea of investment. With that said, it makes sense to buy the Panerai on secondary market because you will save substantially.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 10:39 PM   #6
ASW1
"TRF" Member

They are both great watches and in an ideal world it would be nice to own both. Asthetically and technically they are both good to me. The Panerai will be more comfortable to wear - lighter.

If investment is the primary driver then Rolex, full stop.

However, I'd you would like to wear a watch: that people only buy because they want one (as opposed to because it's a Rolex), that you won't find anyone else wearing (Rolex's are everywhere especially the generic looking divers versions), that allows you to have a variety of straps for different occasions, and looks and where the overwhelming majority of wearer's around the globe are a tight and welcoming community of free thinkers (compared to a small proportion of Rolex wearer's) then choose the Panerai.

IMO.

You can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 11:16 PM   #7
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Rolex hands down and the SD43 is a great reference. I was a huge Panerai fan and go back to the early 2000's with the brand and have had numerous models in my collection. The brand is dead to me for a lot of reasons but they have consistently misrepresented facts as to the heritage and reemergence of the brand. Look to the article on Sylvester Stallone and Panerai that was just published. I am ok with representing facts in the best light for the company but truth in advertising is a must for me. Save yourself some money in the long run, get a superior watch in the SD43 and move on.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 12:56 AM   #8
56Diver
"TRF" Member

I don’t buy watches for investment because I typically don’t Buy something I am already planning on selling. If you want to be like most everyone else, wear a Rolex. If you want to be different, make the watch look different with easy strap changes, etc., buy a panerai.
I like big watches and being a big guy, I just prefer the 47mm on my wrist compared to 43. I do like the SD and DeepSea a lot I must admit ....
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 01:09 AM   #9
tarek61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
if you want to be smart and willing to wait and search, you could either get the 692 used at 35% discount over MSRP or get the relatively easy to get rolex sport model SD43 at MSRP. both are beautiful watches imho.
New Rolex SD43 is extremely hard to find and their MSRP at the grey market is about 20% over MSRP
Old 2 January 2021, 01:10 AM   #10
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Rolex hands down and the SD43 is a great reference. I was a huge Panerai fan and go back to the early 2000's with the brand and have had numerous models in my collection. The brand is dead to me for a lot of reasons but they have consistently misrepresented facts as to the heritage and reemergence of the brand. Look to the article on Sylvester Stallone and Panerai that was just published. I am ok with representing facts in the best light for the company but truth in advertising is a must for me. Save yourself some money in the long run, get a superior watch in the SD43 and move on.
Panerai is “dead to you”, yet you keep coming back to this sub-forum and posting.

Just an observation on your several recent posts to the Panerai group.

How about maybe instead contributing positive thoughts over in the Seiko forum?
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 01:15 AM   #11
tarek61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Diver View Post
I don’t buy watches for investment because I typically don’t Buy something I am already planning on selling. If you want to be like most everyone else, wear a Rolex. If you want to be different, make the watch look different with easy strap changes, etc., buy a panerai.
I like big watches and being a big guy, I just prefer the 47mm on my wrist compared to 43. I do like the SD and DeepSea a lot I must admit ....
Makes sense. I had the Deepsea for a 3 years but I never liked it bc it was bulky and heavy on my wrist although I'm a big guy like you. The 47mm is perfect on my wrist.
Old 2 January 2021, 01:22 AM   #12
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Panerai is “dead to you”, yet you keep coming back to this sub-forum and posting.

Just an observation on your several recent posts to the Panerai group.

How about maybe instead contributing positive thoughts over in the Seiko forum?
Exactly.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 03:01 AM   #13
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
New Rolex SD43 is extremely hard to find and their MSRP at the grey market is about 20% over MSRP
i said relatively easy, which means hot sport models like the pepsi, daytona, green sub are virtually impossible to get at MSRP. while the SD43 is just very difficult to get.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 04:58 AM   #14
tarek61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
i said relatively easy, which means hot sport models like the pepsi, daytona, green sub are virtually impossible to get at MSRP. while the SD43 is just very difficult to get.
Totally agree.
Old 2 January 2021, 05:25 AM   #15
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Makes sense. I had the Deepsea for a 3 years but I never liked it bc it was bulky and heavy on my wrist although I'm a big guy like you. The 47mm is perfect on my wrist.
Also the SD sits higher than the panerai with 9010 movement. I do not want a watch sitting high banging everything. I’d rather a larger surface area with lower profile
Old 2 January 2021, 06:44 AM   #16
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I own 44mm Pams and DSSD JC. The DSSD JC wears high and is more
“cumbersome” on the wrist than the Panerai on the strap. There is no way around that.
There is a huge difference in how they wear. The dial to bezel ratio on the DSSD JC is much smaller giving it a overall smaller look than it really wears. The DSSD is a technical dive watch that showcases Rolex abilities and not real world practically if you want to look at it that way. I think more can wear the Panerai without issue and comfort where the DSSD is a bit more picky about its wrist.

Here is a dial to bezel ratio comparison pic. Look how much bigger the POC looks yet it really isn’t. The dial is rather small on the DSSD JC. The measurements don’t always tell the real story with these larger watches.

Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 07:19 AM   #17
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

I would take the sd43 over pam692 all day long.
Disclosure: I own sd43

This is regardless of future value. However, it’s a well-known fact that Rolex is hot atm... and value retention is incomparable to pAnerai. U should know that since u been here since 2013.
So I don’t even know why u r asking about value. Lol

I pick the watch I truly want. Ymmv.
Old 2 January 2021, 02:11 PM   #18
tarek61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I own 44mm Pams and DSSD JC. The DSSD JC wears high and is more
“cumbersome” on the wrist than the Panerai on the strap. There is no way around that.
There is a huge difference in how they wear. The dial to bezel ratio on the DSSD JC is much smaller giving it a overall smaller look than it really wears. The DSSD is a technical dive watch that showcases Rolex abilities and not real world practically if you want to look at it that way. I think more can wear the Panerai without issue and comfort where the DSSD is a bit more picky about its wrist.

Here is a dial to bezel ratio comparison pic. Look how much bigger the POC looks yet it really isn’t. The dial is rather small on the DSSD JC. The measurements don’t always tell the real story with these larger watches.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 2 January 2021, 02:37 PM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like the Panerai, but maybe that’s just me
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 08:28 PM   #20
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have both and I would easily choose the 692 over SD43. The 692 just pops and is super cool watch and is lot more fun to wear. It is a much more interesting watch in my opinion and that's owning both. So good luck with your decision.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 10:25 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

So... more investment or are you looking for a timepiece you love to wear? You DO PLAN to wear it, enjoy it, get scratches on it, and enjoy life? Right?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 11:35 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am not responding to these posts off the Panerai Sub Forum but off the new posts in the general Forum. I get that you feel that I am being negative but the facts are the facts and these are all new posts asking members for an opinion. Panerai has significant issues with misrepresentation of facts, why not just look at the facts, acknowledge them and offer an opinion based on that, or not. If a member still likes a brand while being aware of any issues that is great. We all have our own opinions and can respectfully share them here and I will continue sharing mine. I appreciate the feedback and it is noted.

Last edited by 1William; 2 January 2021 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 06:20 AM   #23
tarek61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
So... more investment or are you looking for a timepiece you love to wear? You DO PLAN to wear it, enjoy it, get scratches on it, and enjoy life? Right?
Agree, thanks.
Old 3 January 2021, 10:29 PM   #24
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

However, I'd you would like to wear a watch: that people only buy because they want one (as opposed to because it's a Rolex), that you won't find anyone else wearing (Rolex's are everywhere especially the generic looking divers versions), that allows you to have a variety of straps for different occasions, and looks and where the overwhelming majority of wearer's around the globe are a tight and welcoming community of free thinkers (compared to a small proportion of Rolex wearer's) then choose the Panerai.

IMO.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk
This sums it up perfectly IMO. I bought my first Panerai last year and it re-ignited my love for watches. Rolex does what they do better than anyone and I'll never knock them. Panerai is just different. There's a passion. Strap changes are fun. It's like having a different watch every time you change one. I don't care what is or isn't true about Stallone and Panerai. I don't wear one because of him just like I didn't wear a Rolex because of James Bond.

OP if you care about investment buy the SD. If you want a fun watch that you won't see everywhere and IMO is better looking, then the 692 is the way to go
Old 3 January 2021, 10:32 PM   #25
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
This sums it up perfectly IMO. I bought my first Panerai last year and it re-ignited my love for watches. Rolex does what they do better than anyone and I'll never knock them. Panerai is just different. There's a passion. Strap changes are fun. It's like having a different watch every time you change one. I don't care what is or isn't true about Stallone and Panerai. I don't wear one because of him just like I didn't wear a Rolex because of James Bond.

OP if you care about investment buy the SD. If you want a fun watch that you won't see everywhere and IMO is better looking, then the 692 is the way to go
Great post
Old 3 January 2021, 10:58 PM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agree, thanks.
Easy decision then, get the PAM. At some point just another basically round case and typical dial gets a bit boring imho. If you're collection basically has all the same case types, then you know it's time to diversify.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 02:01 PM   #27
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Vote for 682. You’ll enjoy wearing it more
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:16 AM   #28
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
For price retention no question go Rolex. Plus it has the advantage of a ceramic bezel which helps with scratches. Now if you really like the pam, which by the way is a very cool watch, just cut your loses from the beginning so there is no surprises.

We know that the Sub shares similarities with the SD and yes I love the Rolex Submariner, but for me I need something extra than the basic Sub configuration to be something that I can enjoy long term. That's how I ended up with the SD Deep Sea Blue-Cameron. I felt that was a diver that had 2 things going for it, the blue half dial and the presence. To me the SD43 SS and the SD 44 black dial are too close to the Sub to make a difference (on a quick glance). To make a long story short, I have to say that my favorite 2 Rolex Divers are the SD44 Blue and the SD43 TT. Those 2 bring something different to the table. I currently have the SD43 TT, which has the advantage over the SD44 D-blue of being less bulky and of course the bling of the yellow gold. The advantage that the SD44 D-Blue over the SD43 TT are the solid links (No PCL's) which are easier to maintain free of scratches.

In other words for me the plain SD43 black dial wouldn't even be a candidate. I would go for the D-Blue before the SD43 SS, and if you can stretch your budget then go SD43 TT. That is of course under the assumption that you want a go with Rolex, otherwise just buy the Panerai, enjoy the watch and like I said before cut your loses from the beginning

Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:25 AM   #29
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

SD43.

Buy Pam preowned in a year or two.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 02:21 PM   #30
Jetrider
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex DeepSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Well said!
Jetrider is offline   Reply With Quote