The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 July 2020, 06:16 AM   #1
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Tudor BB58 Public Service Announcement

Like a lot of fellow punters out there, I placed some calls after the BB58 blue announcement and got the usual “no sir” responses, but did leave my info with one AD I haven’t worked with before. Surprisingly got the call on Saturday that they had one (on bracelet) for me, and I was able to head to the AD yesterday to try on and purchase.

PSA:

1. The bezel was misaligned to the left. Not to a minuscule degree, but to the degree of a SRP-777. I rotated the bezel a few times to confirm and kept it to myself as I didn’t want to be “that guy” and complain about it. So- if you’re pondering paying $5,575 for one from a trusted seller, confirm the bezel is spot on. It should be for that kind of money.

2. Contrary to most reports, IMHO, the blue is significantly LIGHTER in person and not at all dark navy blue as shown in the official press release photos that accompany many of the initial articles about the watch. Granted, we all know typical AD lighting can really distort reality, but I feel confident stating that you can’t trust photos on this one. See it in person if at all possible prior to purchase.

3. The hand finishing came off quite cheap looking. See above. Granted, I’m used to looking at the hands of a 114060, so it’s understandable. I don’t think the high intensity artificial lighting does the Tudor dials any favors, unfortunately.

Overall, it’s a fine piece worth every cent of $3,700 IMHO. I was just surprised the actual color was so different from the official photos. Instead of buying it and making a quick buck, I passed on it for the next person in the list who really loves it.

Just a PSA to always take a deep breath and trust your gut instincts despite the hype. You’ll know right when it hits you’re wrist whether it’s the one.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 06:28 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Tudor BB58 Public Service Announcement

You can make a quick buck of these? Aren’t they readily available? Several ADs in Vegas have them on display last I passed by.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
Like a lot of fellow punters out there, I placed some calls after the BB58 blue announcement and got the usual “no sir” responses, but did leave my info with one AD I haven’t worked with before. Surprisingly got the call on Saturday that they had one (on bracelet) for me, and I was able to head to the AD yesterday to try on and purchase.

PSA:

1. The bezel was misaligned to the left. Not to a minuscule degree, but to the degree of a SRP-777. I rotated the bezel a few times to confirm and kept it to myself as I didn’t want to be “that guy” and complain about it. So- if you’re pondering paying $5,575 for one from a trusted seller, confirm the bezel is spot on. It should be for that kind of money.

2. Contrary to most reports, IMHO, the blue is significantly LIGHTER in person and not at all dark navy blue as shown in the official press release photos that accompany many of the initial articles about the watch. Granted, we all know typical AD lighting can really distort reality, but I feel confident stating that you can’t trust photos on this one. See it in person if at all possible prior to purchase.

3. The hand finishing came off quite cheap looking. See above. Granted, I’m used to looking at the hands of a 114060, so it’s understandable. I don’t think the high intensity artificial lighting does the Tudor dials any favors, unfortunately.

Overall, it’s a fine piece worth every cent of $3,700 IMHO. I was just surprised the actual color was so different from the official photos. Instead of buying it and making a quick buck, I passed on it for the next person in the list who really loves it.

Just a PSA to always take a deep breath and trust your gut instincts despite the hype. You’ll know right when it hits you’re wrist whether it’s the one.
This is a fair and nicely written experience/advice post. Sorry to hear about the apparent Q/C issues with the specimen you saw. I haven’t observed the same flaws in my Blue Bay 58, but certainly believe that they happen.

Just wanted to express my appreciation for your fair, even-handed writing...you advice is spot on (for any watch purchase, really).
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:02 AM   #4
911_3.6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Thanks for your great feedback.

I’m on the fence on this one. So many watches I lust for so I may pass on this one for now anyway.

I was amazed by how many were available on the official release day for $5,000 by gray sellers. I like it, but I just don’t feel $5K strongly about it.

Enjoy it and wear it in good health.
911_3.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Just a thought but maybe you were offered it because someone else before you noticed the same issues?

As far as my own BB 58 Blue is concerned its 100% perfect, alignment, quality of materials, finish and colour, as its a mass produced item sure some issues will crop up but my appreciation of Tudor quality is still high (with exception of date change on my GMT).

I took another look at the dial and hands on my own watch with a loupe before I replied to your OP and its very close if not the same quality as Rolex.

So the honeymoon period is over for my recent purchase and i'm still very pleased i have one.

Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:14 AM   #6
imagwai
"TRF" Member

Bit depressing seeing some people buying to immediately sell and make some money. But I believe they won't find it as easy this time. These watches are more readily available than the original BB58. I didn't get one of the two that my AD had on launch day, but was placed at 5th on the wait list. Had a call today to say there's a consignment due and should have it on my wrist next week.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
imagwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:18 AM   #7
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
Just a thought but maybe you were offered it because someone else before you noticed the same issues?

As far as my own BB 58 Blue is concerned its 100% perfect, alignment, quality of materials, finish and colour, as its a mass produced item sure some issues will crop up but my appreciation of Tudor quality is still high (with exception of date change on my GMT).

I took another look at the dial and hands on my own watch with a loupe before I replied to your OP and its very close if not the same quality as Rolex.

So the honeymoon period is over for my recent purchase and i'm still very pleased i have one.

I think you could be right...perhaps I was the 12th WIS to pass because of the misalignment!

It felt like the right thing to do to pass on it, as I’m sure many others out there have been lusting after one. They really are the perfect incarnation of a five and six digit references- truly the best of both worlds.

I was really hoping for more of a dark navy blue like the GMT bezel. Do you find the color changes dramatically under lower lighting levels?
Old 8 July 2020, 08:19 AM   #8
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagwai View Post
Bit depressing seeing some people buying to immediately sell and make some money. But I believe they won't find it as easy this time. These watches are more readily available than the original BB58. I didn't get one of the two that my AD had on launch day, but was placed at 5th on the wait list. Had a call today to say there's a consignment due and should have it on my wrist next week.

I spoke to my Tudor AD today and they said no new stock of Blue Bay 58's for months 6+ in the UK and I cannot order a spare Blue strap and buckle either as they are on back order until further notice.
Old 8 July 2020, 08:22 AM   #9
imagwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
I spoke to my Tudor AD today and they said no new stock of Blue Bay 58's for months 6+ in the UK and I cannot order a spare Blue strap and buckle either as they are on back order until further notice.
Strange. No idea what sort of quantity my AD is getting and it's possible others in the list ahead of me dropped out. They are a large UK retailer so could be shifting stock around I guess rather than getting a new batch from Tudor.

imagwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:26 AM   #10
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Thanks for the advice and feedback after trying the blue BB58.

A misaligned bezel at that price is an absolute no-go, how can it pass QC?

At first I was very excited but after seeing several owners' pictures I find the dial kind of washed out, similar to a Breitling SOH which I let go partially for that reason. I prefer a deeper blue or a richer blue, in that order.

Size at 39mm is also a deterrent in a diver on my 18mm flat wrist. Snow flake hand is another minus buy I was prepared to live with that. So that's a no for me in the end.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:30 AM   #11
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

FYI- this is the most accurate depiction of what I saw yesterday- the first photo is how it actually looks under a decent lighting level.

https://www.sdwatches.com/product/tu...39mm-nib-2020/

What surprised me the most is that I was wearing a dark blue linen shirt that goes great with the Tudor GMT, 16710 Pepsi, 126710 BLRO & BLNR, but not the BB58 blue for some crazy reason.
Old 8 July 2020, 08:35 AM   #12
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Yea it’s a pass for me. It’s a nice watch none the less.
Old 8 July 2020, 08:36 AM   #13
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

I think the subtle differences in Blue under varying light conditions make this a stunning watch and suitable homage to the Blue Tudor submariner. Therefore lets be realistic Tudor will never be allowed to reintroduce there own watch with the Submariner name, thats gone Rolex have exclusive use of that monika.
Old 8 July 2020, 08:38 AM   #14
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the experience and feedback OP and I'm glad you didn't buy just to flip it for profit
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:43 AM   #15
Old Farmer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I tried it on, just could not get myself to like that blue, IMO, it just doesn't work.
Old Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:15 AM   #16
Bustelo
"TRF" Member

Watch: maker in the US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
FYI- this is the most accurate depiction of what I saw yesterday- the first photo is how it actually looks under a decent lighting level.

https://www.sdwatches.com/product/tu...39mm-nib-2020/

What surprised me the most is that I was wearing a dark blue linen shirt that goes great with the Tudor GMT, 16710 Pepsi, 126710 BLRO & BLNR, but not the BB58 blue for some crazy reason.
Pearl looks uncentered in the bezel triangle on that one.
Bustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:11 AM   #17
nick800
"TRF" Member

How much do you honestly think you are going to make flipping this watch? No, seriously? How much? $100 maybe.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:17 AM   #18
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Great info, thank you OP
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:19 AM   #19
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
How much do you honestly think you are going to make flipping this watch? No, seriously? How much? $100 maybe.
some people made out with about 1300 bucks haha...not worth it for that at all but funny to say the least.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:56 AM   #20
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
AD is in a tax-free state, so judging by the gray market pieces that are selling, at least $1,000. David sold one at $5,375 and the next at $5,575.

I’ll leave the flipping to others, though. I have no interest in selling watches for profit- I’ll leave that to the professionals. Just trying to help out fellow enthusiasts who might be on the fence or debating paying significantly over sticker for one.
Old 8 July 2020, 12:31 PM   #21
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

This is one of those threads that could work really well with pictures.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 12:53 PM   #22
kits73
"TRF" Member

Thanks OP for the nice writeup.
kits73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:06 PM   #23
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can make a quick buck of these? Aren’t they readily available? Several ADs in Vegas have them on display last I passed by.
I think part of the issue right now is that a lot of ADs are still closed. When you combine that with the first-day "Gotta have it!" and the fact that the price markup shrinks once tax is considered, some folks are probably just saying "Eh, to hell with it" and paying the markup out of convenience. This is the closest thing to a new Rolex in 2020, after all, so there's some pent-up demand for a shiny new toy.

It's also worth noting that several of the usual third-party sellers were having sales over the weekend (and most are flexible about prices regardless), so a watch listed for a price then disappearing doesn't mean it necessarily sold for that price.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
79030b , fifty-eight