The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2020, 06:06 AM   #61
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
I have never bought new from an AD, never will. Your new watch will be used, and in the same shape as pre owned, in a couple months. Save the dough.

Now its different if you can get a new GMT or Daytona, but that will never happen anyways, so pass on the AD's for sure.
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 06:24 AM   #62
Xenon
Banned

I bought a used 5 digit 18k gold Sub in 2009 for $13,000 and sold it in 2016 for $14,000 after wearing it everyday for 7 years.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:12 AM   #63
Paul7
Banned

Do it, everybody wears a used watch.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:58 AM   #64
Mobert19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here. It's not the scratches, it's how the watch has been treated that counts. IMO, that watch has been treated pretty rough, and that's being nice.

I've had a gold sub for several years and it doesn't look anything like that. The sad truth is there are some complete buffoons out there when it comes to taking care of a watch, and you don't want their hand-me-downs, trust me.

I don't disagree with the concept of buying used, but buy the best example you can afford if you do go this route. We have some great trusted sellers, talk to them and see what they can do for you. Good luck!
How has it been treated “rough” from these pics?
Mobert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:45 AM   #65
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Both of mine were purchased used. I know an appraisal is just that, but I paid $12,100 for my watches and they just appraised at $23500.
Not a bad investment for 14-year old watches.
I will buy a new one someday, for a special purchase. But no reason not to buy used.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:51 AM   #66
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
I have never purchased anything other than BNIB or new from the AD but am considering buying used to save about 4k on a PM piece.

Minor scratches and swirls on the PCL, unpolished, purchased in mid 2019 by original owner

For those who have gone this route, does it matter that my name would not be on the warranty card? Is it worth the savings or should I hold out for BNIB which will invariably be in the same condition after a few weeks of wear..

Thanks
I bought a pm w some stickers basically brand new but it was used. I had only bought new prior. I have no regrets.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:38 AM   #67
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
all have said it well, now is definitely an opportune time to buy PM used, not bnib.
buy the seller though, as non AD buys are not a sure thing.
i've been burned myself.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:38 PM   #68
cvera
"TRF" Member

Go for it if the deal seems safe and you trust the seller
cvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:03 PM   #69
APPRF
"TRF" Member

If you are planning to get some SS sport Rolex in the future then I suggest you find an AD you are comfortable with, and buy new to establish purchase history. Name on the card is only important in my opinion if it's bought to commemorate a special occasion. Nothing wrong with buying used if the saving is big, and you can make sure what you are buying is an original Rolex.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:51 PM   #70
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
Buying used is fine, always get the full set....you’ll be glad you did come time to sell.
I don't get this reasoning. Why pay an extra $1K for example in order to get an extra $1K when selling? Why buy a watch you're planning to sell? I'll let my heirs worry about what it's worth. What matters is, is the watch genuine, which is a relatively easy matter to discern. A box and papers with an expired warranty is just more clutter to store.

My view is save money on a used watch that has visible wear, you'll be putting your own scratches on it in time. I recently bought a used Explorer II 40mm that has some minor scratches which I'll deal with at the next service, places like Rolliworks can fix just about anything. I could have bought a pristine, box and papers version from DavidSW for $2,500 more, but why?

My view is some wear will make you want to wear it more often with less worry. Perfectionism is a pain. Believe me, nobody else will be looking at our watches close enough to notice the wear that obsesses TRF members.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:54 AM   #71
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
Thanks all. Attached some pictures of the watch, would appreciate your feedback.

As you can see, there are scratches and swirling on the PCLs and also on the side of the case.

It would be purchased from a trusted dealer with references (albeit someone I have not worked with before)

thats not bad at all, I would do it in a heart beat!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:57 AM   #72
turfmanjon
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I don't get this reasoning. Why pay an extra $1K for example in order to get an extra $1K when selling? Why buy a watch you're planning to sell? I'll let my heirs worry about what it's worth. What matters is, is the watch genuine, which is a relatively easy matter to discern. A box and papers with an expired warranty is just more clutter to store.

My view is save money on a used watch that has visible wear, you'll be putting your own scratches on it in time. I recently bought a used Explorer II 40mm that has some minor scratches which I'll deal with at the next service, places like Rolliworks can fix just about anything. I could have bought a pristine, box and papers version from DavidSW for $2,500 more, but why?

My view is some wear will make you want to wear it more often with less worry. Perfectionism is a pain. Believe me, nobody else will be looking at our watches close enough to notice the wear that obsesses TRF members.

Agreed, bought a slightly used DD40 PT and saved a boat load of cash over new. Had a few minor scratches but since that’s out of the way, I wear with less stress than a brand new one. Wish I did this with my previous purchases over the years, as I would have worn them more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turfmanjon is offline   Reply With Quote