The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2020, 07:45 PM   #61
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Walked into AD, saw a watch I liked. Tried it, bought it.

Submariner.
Old 18 June 2020, 08:13 PM   #62
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
2001 ,local AD,Coke GMT .Got a nice discount as well .

Then,the f...... idiot (Thats me ) sold it in 2004. STOOOOPID !!

We learn from mistakes .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 08:21 PM   #63
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Bought polar explorer in 2017 (preowned For year 2000 watch)

Then a gmt ceramic in 2018 (preowned year 2015)

Then a sea dweller in 2019 (preowned for year 2001 watch)

Now hunting for a DJ in 2020 (going for preowned as well)
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 08:49 PM   #64
NK212
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Given this thread was started in 2017 I’d be interested to know what watches the OP has now, and if he bought the Porsche the following year!
NK212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:39 AM   #65
timepiecesnob
"TRF" Member

Although many people believe buying a new Rolex is the best option, the financial benefits can more often than not outweigh the those of purchasing new. This, of course, can vary based on the availability of the watch.
timepiecesnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:26 AM   #66
Warregl
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFlyfisher View Post
1. Hold out for a 911. There’s no more iconic car on the planet. Nope. None.
This. I owned a 987. And for 3 years I longed for a 911. Traded as soon as I could justify it and I've never been happier (with an automobile purchase). Even considering the Cayman is in its own way a great car, it will always be the 911's little sibling.

As to the original question - the watch would be the better decision (IMHO). :)

I know this is an older thread and I wonder how the OP feels today about his decision 3 years later. :)
Warregl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:36 AM   #67
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianmuller View Post
How can we pick? We need details such as your lifestyle. How do you dress? Do you travel? So many things to consider first... I have several Rolex watches, each precious for its specific use.
You certainly gave this a lot of thought. About three years' worth.
Kiddin' here.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:40 AM   #68
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
My first thought was I do not want to be like everyone else who has a Rolex. So that scratched the Submariner off the list.

I went with a Sea Dweller 16600, liked the watch for a short bit, now have moved on to the beast, the 116660, again to specifically not be a part of the masses.

Each their own, you will find your way and as long as you are happy that is all that will matter.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:47 AM   #69
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
If you've always wanted a Sub then you should buy a Sub. Otherwise you'll still always want one I'd wager. Plus, it's a fantastic daily wear watch! I have he no-date version myself and it's my only watch and is worn everyday. I love it. Like you, when it come,s to a Rolex it was always the Sub in my mind. For others maybe it's the GMT, or datejsut, or Daytona....whatever model is the archetypal example of a Rolex in your mind should be the one you get first in my mind.

This. If you want a sub get a sub or you’ll always still want a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:48 AM   #70
Xenon
Banned

I thought everyone bought a Sub for their first Rolex.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 06:03 AM   #71
Crk90
"TRF" Member

I finally was secure in my job at 28 so I went to the AD and said I’d like a hulk, Pepsi, or Daytona. Had the hulk in 6 months. Fairly happy with it, but when I get the Pepsi it will probably see more safe time and so I’ll probably sell or gift it. Before Rolex, I had previously owned a Tudor/orient/g shock and a few other watches. The favorite watch though that saw the most time was a garmin smart watch that tracked my skiing and hiking.
Crk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 06:13 AM   #72
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
I'm in the fortunate position that my life and work is going well that I'm considering buying my fist Rolex.

I've loved watches all my life but coming from humble beginnings, my first foray into watches was a Seiko Chronograph Quartz. I owned that watch for around 6 years and it accompanied me on my Wedding day so you know that I adored it! As time moved on and work progressed, I treated myself last year to my first ever Swiss watch; a Tag Heuer Formula 1 McLaren Special Edition. I was so proud of wearing it, it was the watch I always dreamed of owning and it never disappointed me.

However, buying that watch awakened something in me and I then started to dream of owning a mechanical watch and early this year, I purchased an Oris Pro Pilot Big Crown. It's a stunning watch and owning such a small, beautiful and wondrous piece of engineering always makes me tingle whenever I put it own and wind it.

As my career and life continues to be progressing well, I'm now in the position of wondering whether to buy 2 things: Either a Porsche Cayman 987 or a Rolex. It's a nice problem to have and after trying a few cars, I'm beginning to wonder to treat myself to a Rolex next year and hold off on the 987 as my current car is still doing me well.

If I was to ever own a Rolex, I always wanted to buy a brand new Submariner Date (Steel) as it was the iconic Bond watch but with a Date to make it useable in everyday wear. However, the Explorer II and GMT Master II (In Steel Case) also look the business.

As a man with a refined but simple taste and likes to live life with little clutter, I only wear 1 watch (Making a slight exception for the Apple Watch II for running) so this upcoming Rolex would be used all the time. Also as the price is insane, that helps my decision to own just 1!

So in your past, how did you decide on your first Rolex and did that lead the way to other watches or did you then settle as you had your perfect watch? I would love to hear your stories. :)

While all my friends and family members would have a drawer full of watches I on the other hand have always been a one watch guy. Never liked the digital ones that of the past but the Apple Watch took my attention and wrist for a couple of years until I felt I need a mechanical watch back on my wrist.
My last watch before the Apple Watch was a Cartier that I gave to my wife. Thinking of what brand and model my new watch should be I remembered that when I bought that watch a submariner was also in the case and I had to chose between the two. The salesman wanted me to take the sub, but I obviously didn’t.
So I said to myself, this time Rolex is gonna be.
Had 3 models in mind, a sub, a GMT and a DJ, when I tried them all, none of them sang to my eyes, felt small on my 7.5 wrist. Kept looking and searching until I watched a video of the SD43. Went to try it on and the rest is history.
It ticked all cases for me. It has the wrist presence I was looking for.
It’s a diver similar to the one I passed for the Cartier.
It’s an anniversary edition, a 50th anniversary one that matches my coming birthday... what else could I ask for, love it.

Old 8 July 2020, 06:16 AM   #73
Xenon
Banned

Everyone notices because the Rolex oyster case, crown, and bracelet are like one large instantly recognizable patented logo no different than the Ralph Lauren Polo Player logo, Burberry flag logo, Louis Vuitton checkerboard logo, Chanel double C logo, Gucci interlocking G logo, Coach horse and carriage logo, and Salvatore Ferragamo Gancini logo.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:25 AM   #74
Londonrolex
"TRF" Member

In 1999 (when I was 15) an uncle came to see me wearing his brand new SS, white face Daytona. I loved it! But of course I was 15, and pretty poor. In 2008, I managed to get on a waiting list for one, and in 2011 I got the call from an AD. I wasn't interested in Rolex as a brand, then having to pick a model; I was in love with the Daytona that just happened to be a Rolex. I now own 3 Daytonas, an explore 1 (which was a gift) and an Apple Watch I wear to work.
Londonrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:41 AM   #75
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I was 30, broke and saw it in the window of dealer. Loved the looks more than any other watch, but couldn't get passed the sticker shock. I needed 10 years to come around the idea, other priorities needing to be taken care of. In time the high price became a motivation. It's true what they say, you really want what you can't have, in my case what I couldn't afford at the time. It had a significant effect on desirability.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 05:12 AM   #76
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
I looked all steel models and decided for the Explorer because it's understated, beautiful, highly readable also without glasses and no one notice it. Longer I have it more I love it. All my other watches take five percent of the wrist time...
I also had the ability to look at all the steel models (circa 2016) when most were still available. I too chose the Explorer for all the above reasons and wore it daily. It has now somewhat taken a back seat to my SD43 but I still love it and won't part with it.
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 07:12 AM   #77
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
saw it liked it bought it!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 10:34 AM   #78
irate.alien
"TRF" Member

I'm actually not a Rolex fan, but a couple of years ago the white-dial Milgauss really caught my eye. I think I liked it because it's so un-Rolex-y. I liked the cheerful orange highlights and the silly lightning bolt seconds hand. In terms of buying pre-owned, I am paranoid as hell so I wanted to buy from an established, brick and mortar store that would guarantee authenticity and where I could try the watch on. Which all that kind of limited my choices to within a 3 hour drive or so. Luckily, after about a year of keeping an eye on forums using watchrecon.com, I found one that suited me.
Old 9 July 2020, 11:14 AM   #79
JebM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I bought a fake sub in sharm el sheikh when I was younger. Not a good one, but I kept my cuff down and if anyone ever noticed they never said anything. I always wanted a sub. I bought my first Rolex (a sub) to replace it with the real thing. fwiw I think my gmt is more useful but I have a really soft spot for my sub.

JebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #80
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lion View Post
Liked Bluesy, bought Bluesy

I fell in love with bluesy in 1996 or so. My best friends dad had one and he would leave it on the kitchen counter when he took it off. I was dirt poor so having a buddy who’s dad had a Rolex was pretty cool to me. I would just barely touch it with my pointer finger when no one was looking. It took me 24 yrs but I got her. Pulled three to show my old lady and let her decide. One was a 16610 one was a James Cameron dssd and the third was my tt 16613 blue. She picked my grail watch and I could not be happier.

P.s. get the Porsche slightly used in the next few years and let the first buyer take the hit of depreciation. You may be able to get a 911 for what you’d have spent for a cayman.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:45 AM   #81
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Have always been into watches. Swatch > Timex > Buliva > Tag Heuer (that I bought with my first paycheck). Then I saw it, a buddys older brother rocking a 36mm Datejust with a fluted bezel, oyster bracelet, white dial, and Romans. Thought it was so cool. Ended up buying the exact same watch new from Bob's Watches in 2002. So basically I was unoriginal enough to just copy someone else's watch. Turns out I'm more of a professional model guy but that Datejust was the gateway drug.
Old 9 July 2020, 11:53 AM   #82
ToyotaMoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40,DJ41,OP41,Sub
For me it was the one that caught my eye. Nowadays with YouTube you can watch some real good reviews in 4K. You will know which one is for you when you can’t stop thinking about that very watch.
ToyotaMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:00 PM   #83
RKTINC1
"TRF" Member

I bought mine after careful consideration. Never thought of owning several but I now have a nice collection. I would pick your first Rolex to fit your lifestyle and work. It has to be versatile as a one-watch. I would do something in stainless. Depending upon your career, I would go datejust, explorer 1 or Sub as a first watch. any of those three will last forever, never go out of fashion and complement any future collection. If you might ask about mine...a white roman dial datejust.

In the 90's we wore white dress shirts and dark suits each day. The white dial worked great as an under-the-radar machine. Still wear it each week with pride in any situation.
RKTINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:08 PM   #84
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texex View Post
Have always been into watches. Swatch > Timex > Buliva > Tag Heuer (that I bought with my first paycheck). Then I saw it, a buddys older brother rocking a 36mm Datejust with a fluted bezel, oyster bracelet, white dial, and Romans. Thought it was so cool. Ended up buying the exact same watch new from Bob's Watches in 2002. So basically I was unoriginal enough to just copy someone else's watch. Turns out I'm more of a professional model guy but that Datejust was the gateway drug.
I got the same DJ model last week as my first Rolex. Someone responded who got a similar model over 30 years ago as his first Rolex. Whereas the DJ with sticks (batons) is continually being tweaked, it's interesting that the models with Roman numerals are pretty much unchanged over 30+ years. It's a classic.
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote