The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 August 2019, 11:08 AM   #1
47Straight
"TRF" Member

First Rolex.....First Post

I just took ownership of my first Rolex and I've been searching the internet trying to learn more about it. That, of course, lead me to this forum. As I read through the forums, I started to get the impression that some on the board might appreciate the story behind it. So here it goes.

My father was a doctor who had a love for Rolex watches. His love for them meant that I gained an appreciation for what a Rolex watch is, but I never really knew a lot about them. Over the years he owned several but ended up with just three; two men's watches and one lady’s watch that he bought for my mom. Of course, he had a reason behind that number as he had 2 sons and one daughter. As you have probably now guessed, my father passed away about a year ago. It was at the end of a long fight with Alzheimer's.
The two men's watches that he kept were a gold watch with a burl wood dial that he bought in the early 80's and a stainless watch that was his first, which I thought he had bought in the 70s. He went into memory care about 18 months before his passing. After he had been there for about 2 months, we realized that he had been wearing the stainless watch the whole time. We immediately bought him a cheap Timex to wear that was far less likely to walk off and gave the Rolex to my mom to keep with the other two watches.
Well, unknown to my brother and I, my older sister decided that she liked the latest style of women wearing men's watches and she talked my mom into giving her the stainless Rolex. She had several links removed so that it would fit, and she wore it as her daily watch until my dad passed away. At that time, my mom found some notes of my dad's that said he intended my brother and I to have the men's watches and for my sister to have my mom's watch when the time came. So, my sister gave the watch back to my mom along with the additional bracelet links. My mom took it to the jeweler to have the links added, but the links didn’t fit. It turns out that my sister’s jeweler likely gave her the wrong links when she had the bracelet sized.

So, the next question for my brother and I was who would get which watch? We both expected that the gold watch was probably more valuable than the stainless, but that really wasn’t what this was about. I was with my dad when he bought the gold watch and knew he had paid about $10,000 for it in the early 80s. However, the truth is that I never really wear yellow gold. I’ve always been more partial to the stainless/silver/platinum look. My wedding ring is platinum. All my cuff links, other watches, etc. are all stainless/silver. Also, I knew my brother really wanted to gold one. It IS a very beautiful watch. So, I told him to take it. For me, it was really more about keeping something that my dad loved and wearing it to remember him. I knew I would wear the stainless watch more.

I took the watch home and the next order of business was to deal with the bracelet. My mom also asked me to have it appraised, so I took it in to our local Rolex dealer to see what could be done. Their appraiser was on vacation, and they needed to see if they could get links for the bracelet, so I left it with them.

The next week, when the appraiser was back from vacation, I called them to check on the watch. The original person I spoke with came on the phone and first told me that they couldn’t get links for the watch, and that I would have to buy a new bracelet to get something that would fit. She then told me that they had had quite a time trying to appraise it. They checked the model and serial number but didn’t really have much for comparison. They had called an expert that they work with in OKC to get more information.

At that point she said, “you do know what you have here, right?” I told her that I knew Rolexes were valuable watches and that entry level for a new one was probably $5,000-$6,000. She then asked me if I was looking to sell it or keep it. I told her that it was my father’s watch and that I wanted to keep it. She asked me if I was sure because the expert they spoke with, and sent pictures to, had offered me $30,000 for it! After a long pause while I re-thought my previous response, I told her “No, it was my father’s watch and I want to keep it”.

So, as many of you have probably already surmised, I have come to learn that my first Rolex is a Reference 6238 Pre-Daytona. The serial number dates it back to 1965, a little earlier than I had expected. The Oyster band was made by C&I and has a date stamp of 7-66. I’m trying to confirm it, but I believe my father bought it just before I was born in early 1967. The dealer is currently deciding if they will actually sign a formal appraisal, but they recommended that I insure it for around $40,000.

I ordered a new oyster bracelet so that I can wear it, but I will obviously keep the original bracelet. I’ll probably get a new leather band for it as well. I’m hoping to find links along the way so that I can restore the original bracelet to its full length.

My brother has yet to take his watch in for an appraisal, but after a bit of research I’m pretty sure it’s a Day-Date from the early 80’s. I’m thinking I won’t tell him what this old, stainless Rolex turned out to be😊. I don’t know if my dad even realized what he had. This whole event has given me a renewed appreciation for vintage Rolexes, and I hope, at some point, I have the means to collect a few more. Until then, I’ll probably just hang out here a little more often and learn more about them.

It appears that I need to have 10 posts to link pics so I'll add them once I have the posts.
47Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:02 PM   #2
spammyman
"TRF" Member

Post some pics with imgur
spammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:24 PM   #3
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammyman View Post
Post some pics with imgur
I tried linking from photobucket, but it wouldn't let me until I have 10 posts. Is there a different way to post them from Imgur? Thx.
Old 21 August 2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Congratulations and wear it in good health.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 21 August 2019, 11:03 PM   #5
hench7
"TRF" Member

Congratulations and its always a nice feeling to own something from someone you really cared about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hench7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 05:49 AM   #6
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

cool story - wear it in good health
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 05:56 AM   #7
dhknola
"TRF" Member

The best kind of stories and a great watch!
Does it have a regular or pulsation tachymeter?
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:34 AM   #8
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I'm sorry for the loss of your father. Hope the Daytona reminds you of him every time you look at it! Great story!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:36 AM   #9
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Very sorry to hear about your father but great story. Clearly your father was thinking of his kids from day one. Can't wait to see the watch! Watches, if take a pic of your brother's watch. Welcome to the forum from another noob.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:58 AM   #10
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
6238!!? WOW

That thing is beautiful. Glad you didn’t sell it.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 07:26 AM   #11
djgallo
Banned

Welcome! Its always so amazing how watches becomes a part of so many lives and the memories can be handed down to future generations through these wonderful timepieces! Great story, and thanks for sharing!
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 07:58 AM   #12
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I'm sorry for the loss of your father. Hope the Daytona reminds you of him every time you look at it! Great story!
Thank you. That's the exact reason why I won't sell it. I am very blessed to have had a great father. My hope is that it won't just be a regular reminder of him, but of the principles he instilled in me as well.
Old 22 August 2019, 07:59 AM   #13
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
The best kind of stories and a great watch!
Does it have a regular or pulsation tachymeter?
I'm not sure of the difference. How can you tell?
Old 22 August 2019, 09:09 AM   #14
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Welcome to the forum! We love to hear stories like these. Very sorry for the loss of your old man. Wear the watch with pride and I’m sure it’ll always bring about some memories. Oh and we love pictures here so looking forward to seeing them. Cheers!
Old 22 August 2019, 09:22 AM   #15
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. This seems like a great board with great people. I'm glad I found it. I promise pics as soon as the board lets me.
Old 22 August 2019, 12:19 PM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss. Happy for your gain. Looking forward to seeing photos...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:46 PM   #17
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Great story. I plan to do the same for my two boys. Enjoy your heirloom.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:17 PM   #18
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Sorry for your loss. Good on your dad for buying such nice watches, and I think your brother will be happy with his - I'm wearing a full YG model today (1013, same size and bezel as his) and they are lovely. As for your 6238, we look forward to pics!
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:30 AM   #19
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Great story. I plan to do the same for my two boys. Enjoy your heirloom.
I have 3 boys and I'm hoping to do the same. I have no idea how to decide which one gets this watch, though.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:35 AM   #20
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
Sorry for your loss. Good on your dad for buying such nice watches, and I think your brother will be happy with his - I'm wearing a full YG model today (1013, same size and bezel as his) and they are lovely. As for your 6238, we look forward to pics!
Yes, his watch is beautiful as well. I'll try to get pictures of that one as well, but he lives about 2 1/2 hours away so I'll try to do it next time I see him.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:40 AM   #21
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Appreciate you sharing the story! Wear it in good health!

You can upload the pictures on imgur, click the option to the top right and select to get links to share. An option with the ways forums allow you to post "[IMG] address [IMG]" will appear for your to copy. Just paste it here and it'll work
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 03:42 AM   #22
RolexDave68
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Awesome story and enjoy the journey

RolexDave68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:57 AM   #23
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Straight View Post
I have 3 boys and I'm hoping to do the same. I have no idea how to decide which one gets this watch, though.
I know, right? Hope your sister doesn't have hard feelings.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 05:19 AM   #24
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
OP, I'm very sorry for your loss and can only imagine how terrible it has been to watch him deteriorate over the last several years. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease.

I lost my father two and a half years ago, quite suddenly, and recovered his watch at that time. It was only a "lowly" Seiko dive watch from the 1970s, but the sentimental value is priceless to me. I wear it from time to time now (I had it fixed up and serviced so it would resist water again without worry of ruining it).

I hope having that piece of your father's life on your wrist is comforting and reminds you to enjoy every day. Wear it in good health. (And post pictures when you can)
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 10:24 AM   #25
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I know, right? Hope your sister doesn't have hard feelings.
I'm sure she has a few hard feelings, but that's not really anything new, either.
Old 23 August 2019, 10:29 AM   #26
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
OP, I'm very sorry for your loss and can only imagine how terrible it has been to watch him deteriorate over the last several years. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease.

I lost my father two and a half years ago, quite suddenly, and recovered his watch at that time. It was only a "lowly" Seiko dive watch from the 1970s, but the sentimental value is priceless to me. I wear it from time to time now (I had it fixed up and serviced so it would resist water again without worry of ruining it).

I hope having that piece of your father's life on your wrist is comforting and reminds you to enjoy every day. Wear it in good health. (And post pictures when you can)
Thank you. Sorry for your loss as well. It's interesting that, just since getting the watch, I think I've thought about him more. I'm looking forward to getting the bracelet so I can wear it.
Old 23 August 2019, 11:17 AM   #27
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Great story! Thank you for sharing it, and my deepest condolences for your loss.

Last edited by BigAppleBill; 23 August 2019 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Added comma
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 12:58 PM   #28
47Straight
"TRF" Member

So, let's see if this works now.........

Old 23 August 2019, 05:05 PM   #29
Mr Perfect
Banned

Watch: IC Title
Very interesting looking piece.

Who are you having appraise the watch?
Mr Perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 01:53 AM   #30
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Bravo for not selling!