The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2019, 05:07 AM   #121
kijoe
"TRF" Member

Excellent info! Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2019, 10:59 PM   #122
jamesaevans
"TRF" Member

Looking to buy my first AP in 2020, this information is very helpful. Thank you for sharing
jamesaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 06:34 PM   #123
fdukeduong
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 2 Batman
Thank you for the informative information. Just purchased my first Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver 15703ST and its coming tomorrow. I am so excited to add this to my collection of time pieces.
fdukeduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 01:28 PM   #124
TradeWizard
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400st
Submarino knows his stuff!

For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul? - Jesus
TradeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 03:37 PM   #125
darkkato56
"TRF" Member

Great info in this thread. I’ve been looking at pre-owned white dial Royal Oak 15400s, and was wondering what it means when the crown screws are not aligned properly:

Is that an indication that it was serviced by a non-APSC? The seller seems legit, so I’m not sure it’s fair to question the authenticity of the RO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 36401AF9-7C03-441B-AA53-D5C7FC852F27.jpeg (278.8 KB, 1065 views)
File Type: jpeg CC26E727-EC24-4316-AAA3-2FADBB50B822.jpeg (252.1 KB, 1063 views)
File Type: jpeg EDCC5075-2C59-45C6-B4C8-864E2F579FDF.jpeg (291.7 KB, 1077 views)
darkkato56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 08:44 AM   #126
boomtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710,116500, DJ
I would doubt AP would service a RO and miss aligning the bezel bolts...probably means some third party did a basic tuneup to flip.
boomtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 10:10 AM   #127
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I bought my preowned RO from an AP AD. Never a problem, it’s a ‘D’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 12:59 AM   #128
York20
"TRF" Member

Won't be able to afford this realistically...
York20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:10 AM   #129
LA-RealEstateAgent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk And Gold Sub
OP, thank you for this thread
LA-RealEstateAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 05:40 PM   #130
Mozzy79
"TRF" Member

Super helpful, thank you for that.
Mozzy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:46 PM   #131
olever90
Banned

So my takeaway from this thread is that APs are finicky and expensive to maintain. But beautiful. I find it hard to believe that modern sports watches like AP or PP are that delicate.
olever90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:42 AM   #132
byr0nic
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing art & watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkato56 View Post
Great info in this thread. I’ve been looking at pre-owned white dial Royal Oak 15400s, and was wondering what it means when the crown screws are not aligned properly:

Is that an indication that it was serviced by a non-APSC? The seller seems legit, so I’m not sure it’s fair to question the authenticity of the RO.

Yes, very little chance (read: zero) APSC would return a watch post-service like that; I’ve never actually seen an AP with bezel screws this wonky. It _could_ also be a sign of inauthenticity, but not by definition.

I have a healthy risk appetite, but would avoid this watch purely based on this, whether provable to be authentic or not. But obviously you should punch it into your own calculations and proceed accordingly! Good luck!

byr0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 11:38 PM   #133
yasserhaydar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 326938
Wow. Thank You so much for taking the time to post this! Very helpful!
yasserhaydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 05:34 AM   #134
johnny21075
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the information!
johnny21075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 10:06 AM   #135
rolexsf40
"TRF" Member

Great info! Very helpful. A lot to consider.
rolexsf40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 02:35 PM   #136
snowvapor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Excellent advice. Just want to mention that the OP was written in 2012. Therefore when it says to purchase a watch not too old (F series and up) in 2012, what is considered too old now ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
snowvapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 07:12 AM   #137
mhunt1014
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
I hope this can become a sticky on the AP Forum as I believe a lot of people considering buying a pre-owned AP would benefit from the advice I am giving out.

Always keep in mind the following when making a purchase of a pre-owned AP. Especially when buying a Royal Oak or a Royal Oak Offshore.

1. If you own a vintage AP and don't know the service history on the watch do not send it in for service at AP unless it stops running. Don't let an independent watchmaker work on a vintage AP no matter what. The money you save today, you'll have to pay it tomorrow.

2. If you buy a pre-owned modern AP RO or ROO try to get one that is not very old (F series and up) ideally with some service history and in overall great shape. Don't by a beater even if it's a good deal! You'll pay the difference afterwards.

3. If you buy a 5402 be very careful with the crown and avoid using the quick-set calendar advance feature that comes with cal. 2121. (While the watch doesn't have a date setting crown position, you can quickly advance the date by going with the hands past midnight to around 1am or 2am and then back to 10pm to adjust the date without having to go around 24hrs for each day). This is not an isolated case as on the four 5402s that I've owned I always had problems with the crown stem breaking and the crown coming off will pulling it out to set the time. On one of them this happened twice in a two-year period. When pulling the crown out to set the time, pull very slowly! Another thing to consider will be to wind the watch via the crown by turning it no more than 5-7 turns.

4. On 5402s even after being serviced, AP doesn't guarantee any water-resistance. Don't even get it wet while washing your hands.

5. If you buy a ROO (Pre F-series) make sure it comes with service papers or service history. Otherwise stay away, unless you know the owner or the watch is really flawless.

6. Do not have the watch or bezel polished by independents. You might lose the AP bevels and bezel will become rounded over time and thin out. AP uses a special machine to keep the octagonal shape intact and polished/brushed areas perfectly balanced.

7. If you buy an AP still under warranty make sure to get the warranty registered and get your third year sticker. If the warranty is close to expire send the watch in and work will be done under warranty giving you another 2 years.

8. If you open a case back on a ROO do not attempt to open the anti-magnetic casing that holds the movement inside as those screws are very delicate. If you open the case back you are voiding any warranty on the watch as AP will know it was opened. Get it pressured test it if you do.

9. If you want to go AP make sure you have done your research, tried the watch on and have money ready for the service when the time comes. As Ken accurately mentioned, the service on modern APs will be expensive but not as expensive as it is on a Vintage piece like mine unless something is seriously wrong or other watchmakers before your ownership messed up the movement.

10. Stay away from a RO Quartz as changing the battery is something that needs to be done every 2-3 years. To change the battery you need to disassemble the whole watch. Remove the bezel, dial, hands, crown, etc. to access the movement and then replace the battery. If done by an independent there are a ton of things that can go wrong. Then again you will need to have AP do it and it gets really pricey even when it's just a battery change as they will still force you to do a periodic service.

I hope other owners and future owners learn from my experience and use this advice moving forward. I would hate to see anyone else go through the ordeals I've been dealing with this week.
Very helpful. Thanks for posting!
mhunt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 04:07 AM   #138
amardave1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
great points...I have 2 ROO and never going to polish outside of AD for AP. Thanks
amardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:48 PM   #139
JG12
"TRF" Member

Is my AP Royal Oak Authentic?

Hi guys, my friend has just offered to sell me his Royal Oak ultra thin blue dial at a real fair price. The only issue is there is no box and papers. When I asked where he got the watch he said he’d got it in a trade. Whilst I believe he thinks the watch is real I remain unsure. Please could someone help advise. To me the watch looks fine but I’m obviously a little nervous about buying from a non authorised dealer.
On the back there is only a serial number and no model number, is this correct.
Thanks for the help in advance, I really appreciate any advice here.
JG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 09:01 PM   #140
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
I’ve recently broken two of the rules!
1. I bought an E serial ROO.
2. I had it polished by an independent.
I don’t know what was wrong with buying an E serial but it was exceptional value and I like it.
Had it serviced and polished by an experienced AP independent in Hatton Garden, London.
In the last week it’s now running +1 second and the polish looks crisp and perfectly done to me.
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 06:48 AM   #141
WatchtraderNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great thread!

WatchtraderNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 05:29 PM   #142
calibrowatches
"TRF" Member

This still applies in 2021. Thanks for the post
calibrowatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 01:18 PM   #143
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
I’ve recently broken two of the rules!
1. I bought an E serial ROO.
2. I had it polished by an independent.
I don’t know what was wrong with buying an E serial but it was exceptional value and I like it.
Had it serviced and polished by an experienced AP independent in Hatton Garden, London.
In the last week it’s now running +1 second and the polish looks crisp and perfectly done to me.
lets have a look then.......
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 07:36 AM   #144
PashaM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandweller View Post
This is the only established brand-name watch, I have never owned. I believe it has a fabulous movement, second only to Patek Philippe.

With such an invaluable advice from you, I may have to rethink about owning a vintage example. The old Royal Oak is on the hit-list but as of now, it will not be a desirable piece, for me.

Though, I will not get anything with a quartz movement, it is good to learn the AP battery-change is akin to overhauling a watch.
Great advise. Thanks
PashaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2022, 03:36 AM   #145
dlmypr
"TRF" Member

This a great post, so helpful.
dlmypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 06:19 AM   #146
pandapanda01
Banned

I am looking to purchase a new/never worn AP 50th anniversary model form a third party. I was hoping it would have the factory stickers/tape still on. However, I was told by the seller that AP boutiques "make the buyer walk out with the watch on" without stickers. Anyone know if this is accurate or if I am getting jerked around?
pandapanda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 01:12 AM   #147
Borkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 228238
Great AP knowledge in this thread. Wow.

Borkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 01:28 PM   #148
sgwatchobsession
"TRF" Member

Lovely post, thanks so much!
sgwatchobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 07:16 AM   #149
RB971
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
This is in reference to purchasing a modern preowned RO that still has warranty. Does activating the extended warranty by registering under a new owner blacklist both the new owner and previous owner?

RB971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 06:43 AM   #150
Taipeezy
"TRF" Member

Any advice on movement replacement? I have a caliber 2124/2825 sent in for service and they said movement cannot be service, and watch requires a 2325 movement. Thanks.
Taipeezy is offline   Reply With Quote