The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2020, 05:50 AM   #61
Jonah10
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day it’s just a watch. He can choose to not buy one and move on. Not sure why it’s bothering him so much why a lot of folks like it. U can apply that logic to anything, hell... a McChicken sandwich even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:50 AM   #62
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Many don't get it, OP. It's a hard-to-get piece I hear.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:55 AM   #63
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Red and Blue were the official Pan Am company colors when Pan Am founder Juan Trippe commissioned Rolex to design a multi-time zone watch for use by Pan Am pilots and navigators. That's where (Company colors) using Red and Blue as a combination to denote night and day comes from.

Dark blue is chosen to represent the night sky, because of the 2 colors using Red to do so wouldn't make any sense.

I thought this Pan Am/Rolex history spawning the GMT Master in 1954 was well-known, including the Company color scheme. It's certainly easily looked-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAA.jpg (17.6 KB, 226 views)
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:56 AM   #64
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
Yes it is because the stars and stripes. Merica!!
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:56 AM   #65
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemario View Post
could someone please tell me why so many people want Pepsi?
honestly I get Daytona, and I get the snoopy omega.
just this Pepsi.
it looks like a joke. blue and red, what, is it Stars and Stripes?
also the concept is silly. blue and red for day and night, like a kid's doodling

oh and I posted already and it got removed.
some Pepsi extremist please let the thread live :)
Pussy Galore disapproves of this post.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 06:12 AM   #66
Event Horizon
Banned

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Red/blue are the original GMT watch colors from 1953 when it was designed. They matched, and represented, pilot cockpit instruments.

The upper, blue half represents the sky and safe flying, while the lower represents danger and ground impact, similar to the artificial horizon, the primary instrument.

Usually we do delete troll posts such as this, because it is little more than a kids doodling with silly context. However, the GMT does have history, so perhaps some good will come of it.

Excellent info.

BTW. I think OP was ignorant and lazy on the topic, really don't think he was trolling though.
Event Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 06:54 AM   #67
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It is true that aircraft attitude indicators are either blue/black or blue/brown. Some of the older F-104 type attitude indicators were grey/black, so I think it’s fair to say the Pepsi bezel colours weren’t chosen to represent any particular flight instrument in a cockpit.
The Pepsi colours do however match the Pan Am colours of the day when the watch was initially introduced.
As for the Pepsi itself, it is iconic and has been copied by many. Wore mine for over 12 years straight but eventually tired of it. Loved it to begin with but eventually just tired of it so went LN and never looked back.
It’s popularity now is due to mainly hype and nothing more. Without the hype, like the previous Pepsi, it’s nothing more than just a watch, but a very good one it has to be said.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:07 AM   #68
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
It is true that aircraft attitude indicators are either blue/black or blue/brown. Some of the older F-104 type attitude indicators were grey/black, so I think it’s fair to say the Pepsi bezel colours weren’t chosen to represent any particular flight instrument in a cockpit.
The Pepsi colours do however match the Pan Am colours of the day when the watch was initially introduced.
. . .
It's all part of the myth, lore and reality for this 70 year old icon.

Yes, the colors are Pan Am's, but yes too, it was expected to become another pilot's "instrument", just like the others needed to navigate across the oceans in the 707 of the time.

Color scheme, split bezel design, navigation-style arrowhead marker - the design was coordinated to be familiar to the pilot and navigator of the time.

It's the presentation/representation of their environment that has made it the companion of astronauts and pilots the world over.

For guys who "don't get it", they likely never will.
Old 8 July 2020, 07:12 AM   #69
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinsd View Post
I personally love the watch. In fact i often regret not buying one instead of my Sub in 2015 when prices were good.

To each their own, but the watch has a pop to it that can't be beat. And to say it looks too crazy with a colorful bezel.. i mean have you seen some of the watches today? The Pepsi GMT looks classy compared to a lot of other time pieces.
I’m on the fence between a GMT and a Sub. I think we end up wanting the one we didn’t get...
Henrimontgomery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:20 AM   #70
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

It’s clearly a trolling thread!!!

To come out with a first and only post creating such a reaction! I’m surprised there are 70 posts in this thread!!!
Old 8 July 2020, 07:43 AM   #71
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Red/blue are the original GMT watch colors from 1953 when it was designed. They matched, and represented, pilot cockpit instruments.

The upper, blue half represents the sky and safe flying, while the lower represents danger and ground impact, similar to the artificial horizon, the primary instrument.

Usually we do delete troll posts such as this, because it is little more than a kids doodling with silly context. However, the GMT does have history, so perhaps some good will come of it.
Case closed.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:47 AM   #72
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Thank you TRF for giving me such juicy things to read. I love being a kid in here
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:52 AM   #73
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Find a grey dealer and try one on. Earlier ceramic Pepsis, I will give it to you, I don't get the colors either. Later bezels have nice darker colors. Looks similar to original 6542 Bakelite bezel. It's not blue the way you think, it's blue like a late evening sky, really dark but has some blue to it. I know a lot will disagree, but I hated aluminum bezel Pepsi, I think Coke looks better and more correct to original vision of what the bezel should look like. With ceramic they finally fixed it back which is why there probably will be no Coke.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:06 AM   #74
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Amazing, terrific information. Never knew this. Something good did come from this thread.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:27 AM   #75
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Red and Blue - Day and Night - Hot and Cold. Also looks like a vehicle instrument panel control. Like in a cockpit if you will. Which is cool I think. And not only US colours. BTW. Not a fan of the ceramic one myself but I get it without getting it. The colours actually make more sense than any other colour scheme for this reference. *I see most of this is a repeat of previous posts. Best way for the OP to learn something Imo. LOL
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:30 AM   #76
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Troll
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:40 AM   #77
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
You don’t have to get it. There are a ton of other references to chose from, and a fafillion other brands to chose from.
What’s the point of this post, if you want info or us to convince you, just say that and go research on YouTube. If you don’t get it after almost 70 years this watch has existed, nothing we say will change that.

I don’t understand why some people have to think out loud in public. Lots of things I don’t get, what’s the point of telling you I don’t get chocolate ice-cream or Ulysse Nardin watches.....does it really matter for you to know that.

Or simply put, stop trolling, the bandwidth can be put to better use.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:45 AM   #78
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I think the best way to get back at a troll is to ignore the thread entirely. Don't give them what they want!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:04 AM   #79
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec00421 View Post
to each his own, i guess.
I prefer the BLNR simply because of the night and day concept of the Blue and Black, That said I would gladly trade it for a ceramic BLRO if it ever comes out?
Showcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:14 AM   #80
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Aww Larry. You're getting soft
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:20 AM   #81
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Really weird question. It's just down to different tastes, you don't like it, lots of people do. Simple as that.
It's like saying I like Sprite and Mountain Dew, but not Pepsi (as in the drink not watch), why do people like it? Makes no sense, the answer is obvious, they just do.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:49 AM   #82
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Red white and blue wins for me. Prefer the Pepsi bezel over Coke, I would never use just plain black.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:51 AM   #83
codester
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy and others
Had it didn’t like it and tried to love it. Like really tried because its so hard to get. The blue was too purple for me especially in bright sunlight. Blue is my favorite color, purple not so much. It was a later version 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
codester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:11 AM   #84
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Well, you're probably right about one thing... you're not getting the Pepsi.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:15 AM   #85
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemario View Post
could someone please tell me why so many people want Pepsi?
honestly I get Daytona, and I get the snoopy omega.
just this Pepsi.
it looks like a joke. blue and red, what, is it Stars and Stripes?
also the concept is silly. blue and red for day and night, like a kid's doodling

oh and I posted already and it got removed.
some Pepsi extremist please let the thread live :)
Let us see. One post history. Inflammatory premise. The GMT was released over sixty years ago in conjunction with Pan Am Airlines. It has a great history. One of the top backlogged Rolex models. Not very silly here.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:21 AM   #86
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Anytime I see anyone wearing a pepsi I can't resist walking up to them and saying 'nice watch'.
Old 8 July 2020, 11:22 AM   #87
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I love vintage pepsi's...but the new ones are kind of bleh to me I'll admit as well...
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:23 AM   #88
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
i feel the same about capital letters.
dp
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #89
RL777
"TRF" Member

Classic Rolex design that dates back to original GMTs. I think the older pre ceramic model looked much better but I fully understand why the current Pepsi models are popular despite them never really getting the colors right.
RL777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #90
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i've had the hulk, pepsi and batman and am no longer interested in them at all.
those colors don't work for me on watches. i am considering a gold rootbeer though.

oh, did i mention i'm not really interested in the daytona either ? had a panda but it was simply too small. i do love the look though
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote