The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Offline99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5164a
Future of the 15202ST

What is the future of the AP Jumbo as a non-limited heritage model? Can we expect it to produced forever? I can't think of another example of a continuously produced watch for more than 10 years.
Offline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 03:39 AM   #2
Maverick82
"TRF" Member

It was produced as a 40th anniversary royal oak, with that in mind 2022 will be the 50th anniversary which I would think is an even larger milestone....but other than logical assumptions, no one knows for sure.
Maverick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 03:50 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Might get a lot of flak for saying this... but I think the 15202 needs a lot of changes to stay relevant. I understand the rich history associated with the watch and how it is the original steel sport watch... but the bracelet feels underwhelming compared to the 15500, there’s no hacking seconds hand, no quick set date and it’s still using a non in-house movement (its currently running a modified JLC movement if I remember correctly). Unless one buys the watch to keep in the safe, 15500 seems like the better choice for usability, accuracy and power reserve. For me the 15202ST has also lost its position as the crown jewel in the RO collection to the 15407ST.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:43 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Might get a lot of flak for saying this... but I think the 15202 needs a lot of changes to stay relevant. I understand the rich history associated with the watch and how it is the original steel sport watch... but the bracelet feels underwhelming compared to the 15500, there’s no hacking seconds hand, no quick set date and it’s still using a non in-house movement (its currently running a modified JLC movement if I remember correctly). Unless one buys the watch to keep in the safe, 15500 seems like the better choice for usability, accuracy and power reserve. For me the 15202ST has also lost its position as the crown jewel in the RO collection to the 15407ST.
i think the proportions on the 15202 are perfect compared to the new ROs but i agree that not having a seconds hand or quickset is a pain
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 04:53 AM   #5
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Well isn't that what the 15500 is for? For those that want an updated 15202. The 15202 is there for those purist that want a feel of vintage but still have a brand new watch.

I think the market is strong for both models so I can see the 15202 staying the way it has with same movement, whereas the 15500 will get continue to be updated in the future.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 05:54 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would hazard there will always be a steel RO ultra thin with the legendary movement inside.

I owned one once and that was enough for me. Photographs lovely but day to day it’s a royal pain unless you have tiny hands.

Old 18 September 2020, 07:05 AM   #7
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would hazard there will always be a steel RO ultra thin with the legendary movement inside.

I owned one once and that was enough for me. Photographs lovely but day to day it’s a royal pain unless you have tiny hands.

KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 07:22 AM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh I’m sorry, but I thought the open worked ceramic perpetual was the crown jewel.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 07:40 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think it has been wildly more successful than the previous 15202 iteration as it harks back to the original and I think it will be around for a long time, the 153,4 and 500 series are there for the more modern touches should that be your preference.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 07:44 AM   #10
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
That watch is white ceramic Daytona of AP. Difference is it has the same caliber, dial & size from the beginning. Going nowhere & getting scarce day by day.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 10:19 AM   #11
November
"TRF" Member

LoL

Quote:
I find this comically ironic in an AP forum, considering the fact that the initial absurdity of the 5402 was derived from the relative value of similar/superior functional mechanical sport watches produced in steel. The ONLY reason the 15202 exists today is because of its old world charm and F*** you factor for those who know (along with the quirks that come with it); Otherwise, your statement is correct - the 15202 is backdated and should be obsolete. The fact that it’s not is what makes it SO special - it’s traditional watchmaking through and through. With the exception of the transparent case back, and the extra 1mm sacrifice that comes with it, the 15202 is the ultimate Trojan horse in high-end mechanical wristwatches. Period. The 5711 is a steel outfit for a movement acting as a base module for just about every other automatic watch in a mass produced brand catalogue - nothing special there. Modified Cal 921 (and now in house to AP) is reserved only for the most special watches in the AP catalogue - and to me, the only watches worth comparison in the world of mass produced watch brands (from a movement perspective... ceramics would squash this debate in a heartbeat). Outside of independents (and only a select few) I would challenge anyone on this forum to find me a more value oriented proposition in the world of mass produced watches today... 15500 and any skin derivative to the 5402 is for those you who would have scoffed at AP, and leaped for a Rolex when the original Jumbo was released.

Banksy’s Rembrandt “self portrait” may have sold for ~$20m usd; but the true “Self Portrait” last transacted at nearly 2.5x that value; the real baller owns the Rembrandt, not the other one. I am not a baller - but if I were, the 15202 is where my money goes. Not towards a 15407st... sand blasting is nowhere near as time consuming/impressive as the near fully hand assembled/ hand finished jlc adopted legendary 921. I may be incorrect in my thinking, and if so please excuse my ignorance.

Maybe a bit harsh but truth be told...
November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 11:10 AM   #12
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think it has been wildly more successful than the previous 15202 iteration as it harks back to the original and I think it will be around for a long time, the 153,4 and 500 series are there for the more modern touches should that be your preference.
I absolutely agree. I also believe that the 15500 would have been made to 39mm if they were not planning to continue the 15202 for the foreseeable future.

There is a huge demand for the 15202, and they've managed to diversify the lineup with the 15500. As long as the demand is good for both models, AP is making money and they have no obvious reason to alter the strategy.
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 01:55 PM   #13
eonflux
"TRF" Member

As long as AP can sell every 15202ST they make, why would they change it?
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 02:46 PM   #14
Offline99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5164a
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
As long as AP can sell every 15202ST they make, why would they change it?

That’s true of a lot of watches, but they still change them. Or stop selling them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Offline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 11:07 PM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

I agree. The “semi” quick set date is a real pain if worn sparingly in rotation. Once was enough for me too. Much happier with my 38mm chrono
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 11:09 PM   #16
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Well isn't that what the 15500 is for? For those that want an updated 15202. The 15202 is there for those purist that want a feel of vintage but still have a brand new watch.

I think the market is strong for both models so I can see the 15202 staying the way it has with same movement, whereas the 15500 will get continue to be updated in the future.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 12:06 AM   #17
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The only thing that I will want to change in the 15202ST is the inclusion of a quick set date. Otherwise, the watch is perfect as it is. I actually find it quite robust in daily use. The scratches will show up, but so will those on 15400/15500.

The 50th anniversary will be something to look forward to
Old 19 September 2020, 03:18 AM   #18
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The only thing that I will want to change in the 15202ST is the inclusion of a quick set date. Otherwise, the watch is perfect as it is. I actually find it quite robust in daily use. The scratches will show up, but so will those on 15400/15500.

I could not agree more. My favorite watch
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:28 AM   #19
edo
"TRF" Member

Quick date will be a nice feature, but nothing can beat 15202 proportions...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:46 AM   #20
john_peter33
"TRF" Member

Would a quick date modify the 2121 cal movement? And increase thickness?
john_peter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:12 AM   #21
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

+1. I love my 15202, I never understood why people need the second hand, doesn't bother me at all.

These should be trading at 5711 levels, there is over a $30k delta between the two currently and IMO 15202 values have nowhere to go but up.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:26 AM   #22
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
+1. I love my 15202, I never understood why people need the second hand, doesn't bother me at all.

These should be trading at 5711 levels, there is over a $30k delta between the two currently and IMO 15202 values have nowhere to go but up.
Agree 100%. I wanted to acquire before these got to 5711 levels.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 12:42 AM   #23
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
15202 > *