The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 March 2023, 05:16 AM   #1
Eastie
"TRF" Member

! Chamfers - Rolex vs Tudor

I recently went into the Tudor boutique and tried on some Black Bay models. I was struck by the beautiful chamfers on the top edges of the case. Elegant, well-machined, subtle and exquisitely finished.

Now compare that against the Rolex maxi-cases on my 2016 Submariner and 2022 GMT Rootbeer. No chamfers. Just chunky blocks of steel.

Why would Rolex include high-end finishing on modern Tudors but not modern Rolexes? Curiously, vintage Rolexes have chamfering, so there was a conscious decision at some point for Rolex to drop this detail.

Anyone know why? Makes no sense to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_47BC0AC3891E-1.jpg (263.4 KB, 960 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_8703.jpeg (282.1 KB, 963 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_8705.jpeg (276.2 KB, 966 views)
Eastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 05:34 AM   #2
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Nobody knows for certain besides Rolex.

If I had to guess they want the newer watches to look modern. Chamfers give a very vintage feel and probably not what Rolex wants for their modern watches. I really don't think chamfers would look good on a ceramic bezeled diver/gmt.

Could also be function over form. Could be easier/more cost efficient to chuck a chamfer on an edge vs machining the 90 degree edge to perfection. Total guess.
Old 3 March 2023, 05:42 AM   #3
Eastie
"TRF" Member

To your first point, I guess that’s an aesthetic statement. But I kinda find that hard to believe when other modern sport watches like the AP Royal Oak, Nautilus, Aquanat, Overseas, etc. all feature some level of beveling / chamfering.

On the cost side of things, chamfering (cutting) the edges comes after the raw block of steel is CNC machined into a case. So definitely more expensive to chamfer vs not chamfer.

Would be sad if this was a Rolex cost cutting measure.
Old 3 March 2023, 05:53 AM   #4
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I've noticed the same difference between my Tudor's and Rolex's. I like the chamfer. I don't think they're out of place on a modern watch at all. They add another dimension to the aesthetics. Also you'll notice that Tudor not only adds them to the case but then they polish them. Why Rolex stopped? Who knows. My guess is dumb ass design decisions. Just another reason to love Tudor.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 05:57 AM   #5
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
The chamfers are harder to see from further away. The finish fills cooler, I assume harder to produce, but the Rolex bezels offer a bit more bling which I like.
Old 3 March 2023, 05:59 AM   #6
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastie View Post
To your first point, I guess that’s an aesthetic statement. But I kinda find that hard to believe when other modern sport watches like the AP Royal Oak, Nautilus, Aquanat, Overseas, etc. all feature some level of beveling / chamfering.

On the cost side of things, chamfering (cutting) the edges comes after the raw block of steel is CNC machined into a case. So definitely more expensive to chamfer vs not chamfer.

Would be sad if this was a Rolex cost cutting measure.
I see what you're saying about the RO.....but don't forget the RO looks exactly the same as it did in 1972. The Sub has progressed a bit since it was released.

I am fairly certain the omission of the chamfers is an aesthetic choice by Rolex.
Old 3 March 2023, 06:27 AM   #7
onyourbikes
"TRF" Member

Tudor are surpassing Rolex in many ways.
Because..

Rolex can sell any old crap with their name on it, and it sells. So no need to innovate.

Tudor however, are selling by offering phenomenal quality at a better price.

My black bay pro I recently got is as good/better than numerous Rolex watches I've owned since the late 90s.

I really question the need/desire to buy another Rolex when Tudor are so good.
If I didn't just want a new explorer II just because I like the look so much I doubt I'd buy any. Especially with the 32xx movement being a piece of junk.
onyourbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 06:31 AM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I like the chamfers on Tudor as well. It's just a design element they decided to include on Tudor but not Rolex. Who knows what their logic is.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 06:52 AM   #9
karleone
"TRF" Member

Rolex had chamfers / bevels on Explo 2 Sub SD and GMT on 4 and 5 digits it’s a beautiful and subtle detail and V brushing on lugs as well. They removed them on the 6 digits and switch to vertical brushing on lugs. Much easier to produce and no more hassle when repolishing the watch at RSC.

The chamfers on the Tudors are not real chamfers are the case is directly cut like this.

Interesting to see that Rolex reintroduced chamfers on the Deepsea Challenge. They might come back on the other models in the future.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 08:49 AM   #10
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
IMO, bevels/chamfers should be on all Rolex sports models !

They add a completely different look to my eyes.
Old 3 March 2023, 08:53 AM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Simpler cases for ease of (mass) production, maybe?
Old 3 March 2023, 09:12 AM   #12
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Chamfers make it look better.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 12:39 AM   #13
Eastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Sad if that’s the case (no pun intended hah). If Rolex is making design decisions to save on cost or ease of manufacturing, then what’s the point of horology? Everything in mechanical watchmaking is about adding complications (literally) and aesthetic flourishes. Are chamfers needed? No. But neither are movement anglage, guilloche, blued steel, etc etc.

All these design finishings are a demonstration of finesse. Rolex deciding to give up on chamfers when they clearly have the ability to do so (current Tudor and vintage Rolex) is disappointing.
Old 4 March 2023, 12:44 AM   #14
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sad if that’s the case (no pun intended hah). If Rolex is making design decisions to save on cost or ease of manufacturing, then what’s the point of horology? Everything in mechanical watchmaking is about adding complications (literally) and aesthetic flourishes. Are chamfers needed? No. But neither are movement anglage, guilloche, blued steel, etc etc.

All these design finishings are a demonstration of finesse. Rolex deciding to give up on chamfers when they clearly have the ability to do so (current Tudor and vintage Rolex) is disappointing.
Yet you own two modern Rolexes. The best way to voice your displeasure with Rolex is to not buy them. So your argument is pointless.
Old 4 March 2023, 12:54 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
IMO, bevels/chamfers should be on all Rolex sports models !

They add a completely different look to my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 12:57 AM   #16
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

To OP, sounds like Tudor works better for you. Stick with what works. They have a great line up of watches and likely some interesting additions coming soon.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 12:58 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Nobody knows for certain besides Rolex.

If I had to guess they want the newer watches to look modern. Chamfers give a very vintage feel and probably not what Rolex wants for their modern watches. I really don't think chamfers would look good on a ceramic bezeled diver/gmt.

Could also be function over form. Could be easier/more cost efficient to chuck a chamfer on an edge vs machining the 90 degree edge to perfection. Total guess.
Notwithstanding other design aesthetics of this polarizing reference, the chamfers look spot on to me.

20230303_095540.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 01:05 AM   #18
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
I recently went into the Tudor boutique and tried on some Black Bay models. I was struck by the beautiful chamfers on the top edges of the case. Elegant, well-machined, subtle and exquisitely finished.

Now compare that against the Rolex maxi-cases on my 2016 Submariner and 2022 GMT Rootbeer. No chamfers. Just chunky blocks of steel.

Why would Rolex include high-end finishing on modern Tudors but not modern Rolexes? Curiously, vintage Rolexes have chamfering, so there was a conscious decision at some point for Rolex to drop this detail.

Anyone know why? Makes no sense to me.
Chamfers were probably used back in the day as manufacturing methods could not cut the edges of the case with a clean edge. With the emergence of lasers cutters Rolex is now able to produce clean edges without many defective cases. I think Rolex believes that chamfers are not superior, while Tudor uses them as they are somewhat of a homage brand.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 01:13 AM   #19
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
Chamfers were probably used back in the day as manufacturing methods could not cut the edges of the case with a clean edge. With the emergence of lasers cutters Rolex is now able to produce clean edges without many defective cases. I think Rolex believes that chamfers are not superior, while Tudor uses them as they are somewhat of a homage brand.
Now that's making chicken salad out of chicken $#it.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 01:23 AM   #20
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

I got my first Rolex Sub date in 2018. It was not until I bought my BBPro and Chrono recently that I realized what I was missing. I really enjoy the chamfered cases and sculpted lugs of Tudor. Waiting on my P39 and am very excited to see this all come together in a 39 mil titanium case.
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 01:41 AM   #21
Eastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Yet you own two modern Rolexes. The best way to voice your displeasure with Rolex is to not buy them. So your argument is pointless.
No argument, my friend. Just some idle speculation. I still love my modern rolexes - but even rolex isn't immune from some design feedback, no? Chamfers would only accentuate an already-great design.

Also, as some eye-candy, check out the chamfering on the Patek Nautilus (not my photo). Love how it extends seamlessly from the case to the bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8706.jpeg (280.2 KB, 541 views)
Old 4 March 2023, 01:50 AM   #22
MinMay
Banned

Loved the chamfer!!
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 02:15 AM   #23
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
I like the chamfers too, had them on all three Tudors I've owned but can honestly say I don’t miss them.

Purely guess work on my part, but do you think Rolex have left the edges square for longevity? I mean, the more metal on the case from factory, the better chance the watch has of leaving RSC looking like new again after a service?
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 02:39 AM   #24
Eastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
I like the chamfers too, had them on all three Tudors I've owned but can honestly say I don’t miss them.

Purely guess work on my part, but do you think Rolex have left the edges square for longevity? I mean, the more metal on the case from factory, the better chance the watch has of leaving RSC looking like new again after a service?
Could be. But on the other hand, the hard 90-degree edges make the case more susceptible to dents, dings, chips.

Chamfers perform a utilitarian function too; it's not just purely a visual flourish.
Old 4 March 2023, 07:00 AM   #25
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
After the DEEPSEA Challenge release, I believe we will see more chamfers on new releases. Maybe at the end of this month even….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 10:00 AM   #26
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
No argument, my friend. Just some idle speculation. I still love my modern rolexes - but even rolex isn't immune from some design feedback, no? Chamfers would only accentuate an already-great design.

Also, as some eye-candy, check out the chamfering on the Patek Nautilus (not my photo). Love how it extends seamlessly from the case to the bracelet.
The chamfered edges on the Nautilus case and bracelet are beautiful and seamless. Thanks for showing!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 01:24 PM   #27
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
After the DEEPSEA Challenge release, I believe we will see more chamfers on new releases. Maybe at the end of this month even….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe. They may have just given the DS Challenge chamfers in order to shrink it a bit, visually.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 02:18 PM   #28
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Easier to refinish with square edges
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 02:26 PM   #29
westbeach
"TRF" Member

I think its partly due to the thicker case size. The bevel/chamfer slims it down optically.
westbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2023, 06:33 AM   #30
Ron P
"TRF" Member

If younger so in chamfers ask a good “caseman” to cut you chamfers on a these rolex middagsessie. I assume Rolliworks f.e. would be able to do a great job to your wishes of the chamfer.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote