The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2020, 11:59 PM   #1
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

So... Does Rolex keep track?

So does Rolex keep track of serial numbers?

I am assuming that they do, because you can send your watch into a RSC and they will authenticate it for you. The only way to authenticate it is to have a database of serial numbers... Or, perhaps I'm overlooking something.

I understand that they do not make the data public, but do they provide access to the database to certified Rolex watch technicians so that they can authenticate watches?

I was also wondering about the punch numbers that you see on certificates. Were these certs run through some sort of Rolex machine that dealers had? How did this work exactly?

Also, why are people on ebay paying crazy money for old certificates? It's not like the serial number matches up to their watch, so what value is it to a collector?
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 03:52 AM   #2
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Rolex didn't keep track of what serial number was sold to who prior to computers being everywhere, but they likely know which dealer it was shipped to from the factory. Even today, I don't think AD's report the names of purchasers to Rolex but I can't confirm for certain.

They definitely keep track of who sends a particular watch to RSC for an overhaul, so for some watches, they would have a glimpse of who owned what and when at certain points in time. This doesn't mean they know who the owner is though, as many local watch repair outfits act as middlemen between the owner and the RSC.

Not sure on your other questions.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 05:13 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Those are some interesting questions you have asked.

I was also wondering about the punch numbers that you see on certificates. Were these certs run through some sort of Rolex machine that dealers had? How did this work exactly?

Back in the day, I do not believe dealers had serial number punching machines. After all, the Garantie is nothing more than a document which explains the Rolex guarantee to the consumer.

Additionally, I have seen many hand written non-punched vintage Garantie papers and booklets which support my assumption that dealers did not have punching machines. Interestingly, there were punch-pattern variations between USA and non USA papers - punch patterns found on the USA papers, to include height, width, number of punched rows, etc are unique to the USA papers.

Also, why are people on ebay paying crazy money for old certificates? It's not like the serial number matches up to their watch, so what value is it to a collector?

Good question. As you well know, people collect any and everything. My guess would be that, while the papers are collectable by some, and while not being collectable to others, they are purchased and used for fraudulent activity by those re-stamping cases with serial numbers from Garantie papers purchased on ebay and elsewhere.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 05:22 AM   #4
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Interesting. Thanks for your help! :-)
Old 23 February 2020, 05:31 AM   #5
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for your help! :-)
Thanks for your interesting questions!

Nice to learn new stuff every day.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 08:08 AM   #6
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Rolex know at least from the early 70’s where certain serials was delivered. I am sure they can tell the same on earlier pieces as well but I have only experience of watches from the 70’s that Rolex have verified to which country they were delivered to initially.
Old 23 February 2020, 05:43 PM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
My guess would be that, while the papers are collectable by some, and while not being collectable to others, they are purchased and used for fraudulent activity by those re-stamping cases with serial numbers from Garantie papers purchased on ebay and elsewhere.
Great input as always, Springer.

You'd think it would be easier to just fake high-quality papers than to re-stamp the case to match original papers. These crooks are getting creative...

Not sure if I'd pay more for a full set these days if it wasn't from an old-guy original owner who has no motive/means for shenanigans.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:59 AM   #8
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
These crooks are getting creative...
Ya, I just watched a youtube video on cloned movements. Wow.