The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 February 2020, 12:06 AM   #31
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Not foolish if you have the resources and you know you can sell the watch all day to break even or make a profit.

As per the previous posts, you're not spending - you're just putting your funds into a different (and more enjoyable) vehicle. You'd almost be foolish not to, if you know what you're doing.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:06 AM   #32
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Turning this question on its head, is it foolish to hold onto a $15k or $30k watch when you bought it for retail in the ‘60s or ‘70s or inherited it and you earn an average income? Of course it depends on the enjoyment you get...but there’s a point where that stops making sense.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:22 AM   #33
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Yes! definitely foolish....... Give it to me instead
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:25 AM   #34
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Turning this question on its head again. Is it foolish to not purchase a 15k Rolex watch and hold onto fiat greenbacks instead? Maybe we shouldn't go there. ��
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:11 AM   #35
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
Turning this question on its head again. Is it foolish to not purchase a 15k Rolex watch and hold onto fiat greenbacks instead? Maybe we shouldn't go there. ��
I love it...You hit the nail on the head..

Let's be honest....

Which one will crash first? Rolex or the dollar?
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 07:11 AM   #36
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
I love it...You hit the nail on the head..

Let's be honest....

Which one will crash first? Rolex or the dollar?
Valid question.

Unfortunately I think it might be the latter. To bad the US govt didn't take a page from Wildorf's playbook. I like the sound of zero debt.
Old 14 February 2020, 09:15 AM   #37
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post but what watch are we talking about here?

Or are you just asking in general?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:49 PM   #38
dexvd
"TRF" Member

I think about this a lot, my girlfriend and I just finished university 3 and 1/2 years ago, combined we had 14 years worth of student debt, we paid it off in 2 and 1/2 years by being fairly conscious with our spending. Now as we save and invest, the idea of throwing 15k on a watch or several watches seems silly but its also good to have a passion, a friend of mine has several motorcycles and a seadoo.

I think something that put it into perspective for me strangely was I believe the Rolls Royce Cullinan review on Car & Driver (if I recall correctly) that mentioned the list price of $400k but also that the average owner has a net worth of $4 million. I considered that, my own car which we consider sensible, is roughly 10% of our household income (paid for of course). Thinking about that puts things into perspective for me, it depends on where you are at, a $5000 bag for someone who makes $500k is meaningless but for someone making $50k a year it may seem ridiculous.
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:58 AM   #39
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

This incarnation can only take you so far. It's nice to pile up money (and possessions), but after the game, both the king and the pawn go back into the same box. People have different priorities. My career made it impossible for me to take significant time off for vacations for nearly 20 years, only long and extra-long weekends from time to time. So, I got some bitchin' watches with the vacation money. I know I don't get to keep them when it's time for the dirt-nap, but I've had pleasure in seeking, and bargaining, and improving/restoring. The best part has been the people involved with the watch-madness. People spend $5k on vacations alla time, so a $15k watch is three missed vacations, if you want to look at it that way.
Old 16 February 2020, 02:14 AM   #40
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
What I can't see is spending almost 4 million bucks on a green Mustang that was used for an hour in a movie decades ago.
Beats spending 18 million on an ugly watch that the salad dressing guy once wore
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:54 AM   #41
wear4l
Banned

Only if you got misplaced prioritize.
wear4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 03:01 AM   #42
Astro_Train
Banned

Watch: 116610
this thread is ridiculous.. of course is not...

ask yourself.. is it ridiculous to spend 15k on an engagement ring? Go ask your significant other..
Astro_Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 03:15 AM   #43
kalajdji
"TRF" Member

How can i add a picture so u can help me find my watch year and model ... im new in the forum
kalajdji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 01:29 AM   #44
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Rolex has always been expensive, a new sports model is $10k. Those are not as rare as the older watches. The right vintage watch is money in the bank.
You need to buy want YOU want because at the end of the day it’s your watch... If you have kids one day it would be theirs. I would take a bullet for my dads Datejust. If my nephew doesn’t turn out to be a turd maybe I’ll leave him one.

If you buy carefully and use the resources/collective knowledge you have (this forum) then is is a lot less foolish.

Think of the few things you could sell immediately should you need to... Rolex, guns, gold...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 01:32 AM   #45
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Beats spending 18 million on an ugly watch that the salad dressing guy once wore

That's a tax avoidance buy and makes a ton of sense as the buyer will pocket 30+% by keeping it from the IRS.
Old 17 February 2020, 01:44 AM   #46
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
It would be foolish if you chose to sacrifice other priorities (food, home, family needs)
if not then f it and enjoy.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:30 AM   #47
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
It’s utter lunacy and only a fool would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 04:42 AM   #48
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It probably costs 100 dollars in materials. The intellectual property might cost 500 when spanned across production numbers. We need to factor in employee pay, and the facility, so maybe 1k? Why are we paying 14k extra?
In terms of raw materials cost, that varies GREATLY by model. Perhaps there is $100 or so in a sports watch, but far more in anything with PM content. There is over $100 in gold in a typical DJ fluted bezel, for example.

The IP to develop new types of ceramics or new movements (see the 3200 series) is likely higher than you estimate. Now factor in how many large and modern european facilities Rolex has currently. At least 4 large plants that I know of. Then then there are all the boutiques they own, employees, advertising and distribution costs. Much more than $1K per watch, I'll wager.

The profit margin is high, but it's not 1500% like you claim. Probably more like 100-200% per watch.

Now ask what they do with the money. Rolex is NOT a publicly traded company. The Wilsdorf foundation uses all the money for investment in the brand (i.e. improving vertical integration, like when they bought beyeler), R&D, etc. and their charitable works - which aren't publicized, but according to several sources, a large portion goes to a scholarship endowment for training watchmakers to keep the watchmaking industry viable.

Bob's Watches did a reasonably good job explaining it all here:

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...on-profit.html
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 04:44 AM   #49
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Does it seem foolish?

if you can’t afford to - absolutely.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 06:52 AM   #50
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does it seem foolish to spend 15k on a watch?
It is if you can get the same watch for 10k.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:51 PM   #51
cardiel
"TRF" Member

I couldn't relax with 15K strapped to my wrist.........also there is the matter of that darn mortgage to be paid....... Are we saying that everyone here only buys watches when they are dept free? I doubt it.....
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:15 AM   #52
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
I couldn't relax with 15K strapped to my wrist.
That's half the fun. Nobody knows, and if they know, they're one of us.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:21 AM   #53
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I couldn't relax with 15K strapped to my wrist.
It's a watch ... you would get accustomed to it.
Old 18 February 2020, 04:28 AM   #54
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I couldn't relax with 15K strapped to my wrist.........also there is the matter of that darn mortgage to be paid....... Are we saying that everyone here only buys watches when they are dept free? I doubt it.....

No debts except for a 15 year mortgage. But you have to enjoy life too. I don't want to start rewarding myself only in retirement.
Old 18 February 2020, 04:36 AM   #55
ghcpa9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Because it is an investment. Yes an investment. An investment in human happiness.

I would like to inform you that I am stealing this line for use with my wife regarding my recent Rolex purchase. Thank you.
ghcpa9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:30 PM   #56
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

I had to share my personal experience with cardiel. I never felt comfortable wearing a watch over $9k. For some odd reason, my personal limit. Bought my Zenith Daytona at 8.5, wearing it, very happy, etc. Darn thing starts rising in value! Not why I bought it, really wanted it, always wanted one. Blasted thing keeps going up in resale. But, I'm proud to say, I keep wearing it. I loved it when no one cared about the Zenith models, I still love it, and it will be one of the last ones sold when it comes time to divest. I can honestly say I couldn't afford one today, debts and obligations. It's entirely possible that my experience isn't that unique. After all, the rise in 5513 values was quite sudden. This was a $3500 watch for a number of years, there are thousands and thousands of them out there (maybe millions?), still not sure why so crazy valuable today.
Old 22 February 2020, 11:52 PM   #57
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Do you have pics of the Zenith?

One other thing I was thinking about yesterday is if you consider buying Rolex watches similar to buying stock in Rolex as a company, you are essentially buying stock of a company that is "private". That's kind of a rare opportunity. I inherently dislike the idea of public companies. I work for one. Before it went public (around 1980s) I heard that it was a really cool place to work. People talk about it like it was legendary. I wasn't around to experience it, but I believe them. They say after it went public, it all started to go down hill. I see "going public" as selling out. You essentially got greedy and traded complete control of your company for money and loss of control. I have a lot more respect for companies that choose to remain private and deny their intentions towards greed. They are saying they prefer control of the company to greed for money and growth.

That's something I respect about Rolex and Hans. He wanted to keep the company private to maintain control of what was produced and to maintain quality. I mean, I guess it's not technically a company at this point. It's a foundation. I'm not sure if that is one and the same. But I respect Rolex for remaining private and for having no debt. That's rock solid in my book.

Yet, we still get to buy stock in a private company buy purchasing these watches. Their stock goes up and down based on how Rolex performs as a company, but yet the company remains private. I like this business strategy.
Old 23 February 2020, 04:39 AM   #58
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Insurance takes the nerves away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 23 February 2020, 04:44 AM   #59
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

That's a good idea. Do you need special watch insurance?

Geico cover that type of thing?
Old 23 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #60
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post
Not if it got me waking up to someone who never looks like Cindy Crawford.....

What’s that supposed to mean? Makes no sense to me

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote