The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2014, 06:30 AM   #61
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Platinum Daytona is a beautiful watch, IMHO the bulk of the value resides in the metal.
That said it is durable and ready for wear in any conditions. It likely will not fly under the radar (up to you how you feel about that) ... The platona as it came out has already been redesigned a bit using different color for the subdials, ie it's king of the mountain appeal is watered down a bit.

The 5170g the bulk of the value resides in the movement. Although the 5170 may redesign in the future, it will likely be accompanied by a change in metal, ie it doesn't compete directly with itself.

Imho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (109.0 KB, 195 views)
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 06:50 AM   #62
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Good info, Subtona. Thanks..

To one of the poster's question, I will trade in both my sub and WG Daytona for a single grail watch. I know that isn't common on this site, but one or two watches are all I need. As long as one is a grail. My WG meteorite dial is a mini-grail, and keeps me satisfied until I choose my final watch (after all, I'm 65 and not getting any younger).

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Platinum Daytona is a beautiful watch, IMHO the bulk of the value resides in the metal.
That said it is durable and ready for wear in any conditions. It likely will not fly under the radar (up to you how you feel about that) ... The platona as it came out has already been redesigned a bit using different color for the subdials, ie it's king of the mountain appeal is watered down a bit.

The 5170g the bulk of the value resides in the movement. Although the 5170 may redesign in the future, it will likely be accompanied by a change in metal, ie it doesn't compete directly with itself.

Imho
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 07:11 AM   #63
watchstudent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and a Speedy
For me this would be a complete non-contest. 5170 without a shadow of doubt. This funnily enough, to me, is the most beautiful and perfect watch I have ever seen but unfortunately will only own it in my dreams!

I am sure plantonas are amazing, but this Patek is (as I say, for me anyway) out of this world. An absolute heirloom.

Oh btw I am sure someone will have said this in the other posts but I think "J" stands for Jaune as in the yellow (in french) for the YG version which has a different dial.
watchstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 07:13 AM   #64
locutus49
Banned

But you are British, you are born with style and class. In America we have to learn it

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
For me this would be a complete non-contest. 5170 without a shadow of doubt. This funnily enough, to me, is the most beautiful and perfect watch I have ever seen but unfortunately will only own it in my dreams!

I am sure plantonas are amazing, but this Patek is (as I say, for me anyway) out of this world. An absolute heirloom.

Oh btw I am sure someone will have said this in the other posts but I think "J" stands for Jaune as in the yellow (in french) for the YG version which has a different dial.
Old 19 November 2014, 07:17 AM   #65
watchstudent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and a Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
But you are British, you are born with style and class. In America we have to learn it
hahaha. I come from Somerset. The same place this band comes from, this is a very style conscious part of England.

watchstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 07:18 AM   #66
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Good info, Subtona. Thanks..

To one of the poster's question, I will trade in both my sub and WG Daytona for a single grail watch. I know that isn't common on this site, but one or two watches are all I need. As long as one is a grail. My WG meteorite dial is a mini-grail, and keeps me satisfied until I choose my final watch (after all, I'm 65 and not getting any younger).
honestly I see the WIS attraction to the PP but the strap kills it for me cause my grail is used and worn a lot and that doesn't go with a strap

that kind of grail is for going out to fancy events that you will never sweat, my grail has to be wearable 24/7 and I don't think that is the intention of the PP, but I don't own one so I "may" be wrong

just a different take
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 07:18 AM   #67
locutus49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
hahaha. I come from Somerset. The same place this band comes from, this is a very style conscious part of England.

Old 19 November 2014, 07:21 AM   #68
locutus49
Banned

I have not owned a strap watch since the gold Bulova I inherited decades ago. My wrists are small and I have to order special straps. And I have been active my whole life, so bracelets suited me better. But I am in love with the 5170G and who can explain love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
honestly I see the WIS attraction to the PP but the strap kills it for me cause my grail is used and worn a lot and that doesn't go with a strap

that kind of grail is for going out to fancy events that you will never sweat, my grail has to be wearable 24/7 and I don't think that is the intention of the PP, but I don't own one so I "may" be wrong

just a different take
Old 19 November 2014, 07:29 AM   #69
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
I have not owned a strap watch since the gold Bulova I inherited decades ago. My wrists are small and I have to order special straps. And I have been active my whole life, so bracelets suited me better. But I am in love with the 5170G and who can explain love?

ok my friend then close this thread!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 07:34 AM   #70
www777
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Imho

How has the platinum daytona been redesigned? I know they came out with a diamond dial version but isn't the original still available?
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 07:41 AM   #71
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

just a different take
I think your right. Yet, for me the patek. But it's not a watch to race cars in or climb mountains with. A watch that does both...Daytona.
I think patek make the best 'timepieces' in the world. Rolex make the best 'luxury' robust watches.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 08:49 AM   #72
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by www777 View Post
How has the platinum daytona been redesigned? I know they came out with a diamond dial version but isn't the original still available?
I stand corrected, i hadnt noticed the diamonds in the pics before.
Old 19 November 2014, 08:54 AM   #73
submariner123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
No brainer. Patek of course.
submariner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 09:01 AM   #74
RolexJNJ
"TRF" Member

I do love Pateks, but as Ken says there can be only one! So between these 2, its the Daytona!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDYT.jpg (202.3 KB, 160 views)
RolexJNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 09:35 AM   #75
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexJNJ View Post
I do love Pateks, but as Ken says there can be only one! So between these 2, its the Daytona!!
Yeah but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 19 November 2014, 09:40 AM   #76
locutus49
Banned

You guys are killing me.

Quote:
Yeah but...
Old 19 November 2014, 11:24 AM   #77
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You guys are killing me.
Except you won't see this when it's on your wrist.

Just something to keep in mind.
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 11:33 AM   #78
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

IMHO If it is between Platona and 5070 then I will go for 5070 but in this case the 5170, I will pick the Platona in a heartbeat.. good luck! Cheers! .. Jen
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 11:35 AM   #79
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:

just a different take
x2 for me
Old 19 November 2014, 11:54 AM   #80
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
All that's said has been said in this thread - great discussion on the merits of the metal vs the movement/heritage. I vote for the PP (and even the ALS datograph:) if I had to choose one.

However in this context, if you had to have only ONE watch as a daily beater/grail piece, I doubt the PP is going to get much wrist time given the delicate movement and strap. I wouldn't subject the Platona to the daily grind but the bracelet option and case is likely to last longer (subjective of course) depending on how easy/hard you wear the watch

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 11:58 AM   #81
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post
All that's said has been said in this thread - great discussion on the merits of the metal vs the movement/heritage. I vote for the PP (and even the ALS datograph:) if I had to choose one.

However in this context, if you had to have only ONE watch as a daily beater/grail piece, I doubt the PP is going to get much wrist time given the delicate movement and strap. I wouldn't subject the Platona to the daily grind but the bracelet option and case is likely to last longer (subjective of course) depending on how easy/hard you wear the watch
Good points.

Agree if it were an only watch, I would go with the Daytona.
However as a grail piece in a small but diverse collection the choice becomes more interesting.

I do plan in giving the 5170 much wrist time, it's been I a week straight so far:)
Old 19 November 2014, 12:55 PM   #82
willski
"TRF" Member

I vote 5170. Beautiful watch and gorgeous movement. A proper keeper.
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 01:02 PM   #83
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Listen to your heart. Don't listen to others. But if you asking my opinion , i ll go with Patek. Because I love the brand ... Yes because the brand :)). Go with the number one brand.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 01:37 PM   #84
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by h999r View Post
Listen to your heart. Don't listen to others. But if you asking my opinion , i ll go with Patek. Because I love the brand ... Yes because the brand :)). Go with the number one brand.
There is no lying in you Heru I like that.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 01:55 PM   #85
BABKA
"TRF" Member

I'd go with the Daytona as it's an extremely good-looking watch.
BABKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 03:59 PM   #86
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Platona by 5 country miles.
Say what you want about the movement, but the Platona will be a lot wearable for me and it's full platinum. Another way to go around this is get the Platona and trade in the WG Daytona toward a PP 5711 or 5167...this way you have the grail and you also have a Patek and an exhibition back to admire.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 06:18 PM   #87
rolex_DateJust
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes please!
platona if I were to choose
rolex_DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 06:33 PM   #88
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I think everyone's dream is to one day own a Patek?
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 07:53 PM   #89
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Walrus View Post
I think everyone's dream is to one day own a Patek?
Actually no, at least I don't have such a dream. I like some of their models but a dream is something different.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 11:42 PM   #90
Rcg412
"TRF" Member

No comparison. 5170
Rcg412 is offline   Reply With Quote