The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 October 2020, 08:03 AM   #1
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Bored of Rolex

Anyone else getting bored of the brand? Rolex has been on a hype train these past few years and I get it. They make a great SS luxury watch that quite a few people aspire to own. I think for myself, I own what I want and don’t really see myself buying another Rolex anytime soon.

Curious how many others feel the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:11 AM   #2
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I’m right there with you. It has nothing to do with Rolex. I have a Daytona, hulk, Pepsi, ap rooo, patek nautilus. I’m simply tired of spending so much energy on the hobby. I have what I want and hassle of acquiring new pieces is not worth it anymore. I’ve seen others on the forum ask “but are you having fun?” The truth is that it was fun for a long time, but it recently stopped being fun. The idea of continuing to spend time, energy and money on dealer relationships is not appealing anymore. I would still like to get a white face Daytona and brand new Patek nautilus, but I already own a gold Daytona and a vintage nautilus. The amount of BS I would need to go through to get the other 2 watches makes me not even want them anymore. Anyway, I’m just tired even thinking about buying watches. I have more than what I need and I’m just going to enjoy what I have unless I sprout 12 more arms or something.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:15 AM   #3
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
I’m right there with you. It has nothing to do with Rolex. I have a Daytona, hulk, Pepsi, ap rooo, patek nautilus. I’m simply tired of spending so much energy on the hobby. I have what I want and hassle of acquiring new pieces is not worth it anymore. I’ve seen others on the forum ask “but are you having fun?” The truth is that it was fun for a long time, but it recently stopped being fun. The idea of continuing to spend time, energy and money on dealer relationships is not appealing anymore. I would still like to get a white face Daytona and brand new Patek nautilus, but I already own a gold Daytona and a vintage nautilus. The amount of BS I would need to go through to get the other 2 watches makes me not even want them anymore. Anyway, I’m just tired even thinking about buying watches. I have more than what I need and I’m just going to enjoy what I have unless I sprout 12 more arms or something.

I think you hit the nail on the head, it’s just not as fun as it was a few years back.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Abre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head, it’s just not as fun as it was a few years back.

+1

Abre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:26 AM   #5
aayates
"TRF" Member

+ 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abre View Post
+1

why have watches no one can buy at retail?
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:39 AM   #6
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Dude you really did nail it. Well said.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:23 AM   #7
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:

I feel you. What used to be fun is now more so annoying.

Old 18 October 2020, 11:26 AM   #8
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
One of the most insightful and honest posts I've ever read on TRF. Your candor us a delightful change and I agree with you 100%. A hobby, by it's very. existence *needs* to be enjoyable and fun. When it becomes 'work'....time for a change.

Great post

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Taylorgold
Banned

Quote:
I think you explained practically as it works, but the funny aspect is that hence you love watches and you have the funds for a new watch you would definitely consider Rolex as your first option.
Taylorgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 03:59 PM   #10
gentb
Banned

Quote:
I could not agree less.
gentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 07:17 PM   #11
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentb View Post
I could not agree less.
That’s a new one.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:14 AM   #12
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
It’s fun for a few months to learn the models and all the hype and history. Then you realize you see the same 4 watches over and over forever. And quickly attention goes to other brands that do new and interesting things.

I’ve got a 1-3 year watch plan that may or may not include a Rolex. If I got a call to get a Rolex or a new Grand Seiko and Omega release I’ve been waiting for; I’d be more excited for the omega and GS.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:49 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
It’s fun for a few months to learn the models and all the hype and history. Then you realize you see the same 4 watches over and over forever. And quickly attention goes to other brands that do new and interesting things.

I’ve got a 1-3 year watch plan that may or may not include a Rolex. If I got a call to get a Rolex or a new Grand Seiko and Omega release I’ve been waiting for; I’d be more excited for the omega and GS.
Agreed
There's just so much garbage associated with and around this hobby now that the enjoyment has gone out of it.
For me, I believe i currently have the pinnacle of what Rolex has had to offer me anyway and happy with what I have. So I will be sitting pat even though it's been a great journey with Rolex until recent times.

Ther are loads of other brands that have more to offer, but i only really have eyes on one other that flies well under the radar.
Perhaps another GS and or Credor as an out side chance
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:16 AM   #14
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
Anyone else getting bored of the brand? Rolex has been on a hype train these past few years and I get it. They make a great SS luxury watch that quite a few people aspire to own. I think for myself, I own what I want and don’t really see myself buying another Rolex anytime soon.

Curious how many others feel the same

I’m not necessarily bored of Rolex, as I still appreciate and wear the pieces I own, but the whole customer experience has gone down the toilet, so instead of playing AD games and spending silly money with grey dealers, I’ve decided to give Grand Seiko serious consideration. As of few days ago I’m a proud owner of SBGA415 and I couldn’t be happier.
Old 18 October 2020, 08:18 AM   #15
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I understand. This is what makes the hobby fun...exploring different things - brands, models, features, complications.

First and foremost, it's a watch. Plenty of great players out there...
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:20 AM   #16
snarkq
"TRF" Member

there is a new thread of this flavor daily... so you are not the only one
snarkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:23 AM   #17
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
The main interest for me and Rolex these days is an updated Milgauss and Airking. Curious to see those updates. Looking forward to thinner and more elegant cases. Also I like that it seems they’re sharing the 40.8mm case between models and allowing more bracelet swapping. I want to Jubilee everything.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:24 AM   #18
nick800
"TRF" Member

I'm pretty close
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:29 AM   #19
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
After a decade or two, I am in the same space. it was one thing to get excited about the pieces that I may one day afford or selecting certain models to mark achieving certain landmarks, but for the state of things to be such that even obtaining an entry level or SS sports models has so much baggage is off-putting to say the least. Some may say that even a rigged game is sometimes fun to play... I think the thrill is just about gone for me. The Pepsi was may last "have to have," and now that I got it, BNIB from an AD at pretty much gray price, I think I am done and considering alternative brands.
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:29 AM   #20
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I admit I do have some SS Rolex fatigue but not bitter about it - have explored many other amazing brands because of it. But always seem to come back to Rolex , however now feel it’s time to delve into the Rolex PM space . I like and appreciate the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:34 AM   #21
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Bored? No; I love the brand, its history, and the tough as nails watches they make.

Am I anxious to start collecting them? No; I've got a circa 2000 GMT II 16710 and that's all I need or want. I've got a cheap Swiss Military quartz watch with the same dual timezone function as the Rolex that I wear when I'm participating in activities that might risk damaging the GMT II.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:47 AM   #22
Fred48
Banned

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Bored? No; I love the brand, its history, and the tough as nails watches they make.

Am I anxious to start collecting them? No; I've got a circa 2000 GMT II 16710 and that's all I need or want. I've got a cheap Swiss Military quartz watch with the same dual timezone function as the Rolex that I wear when I'm participating in activities that might risk damaging the GMT II.
Thought you said it was "tough as nails" ?!
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:34 AM   #23
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

It's almost like you have to make an agreement with yourself to not buy or think about buying for say 3,4, or 5 years. Let everything cool down. People may be able to fill up a watch box of 10 watches, but it isn't easy to do 20 or 30. The hobby will change in the coming years..
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:34 AM   #24
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Same here at the moment nothing catches my attention since I collect watches in terms of its function rather than collecting the same watch just different colour makes it easy for me to wear them. I don't think its a boring brand its probably the frustration trying to buy the watch that you like but its not available and all the BS around this game that we have to play to get one unless you wanna pay the grey.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:36 AM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Not bored at all, yet do keep diversified. So many great timepieces, so little time to enjoy them all.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 08:39 AM   #26
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Thank you to Rolex to allow me to experience amazing other brands.
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:41 PM   #27
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Thank you to Rolex to allow me to experience amazing other brands.
X1
Old 18 October 2020, 08:41 AM   #28
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
I was reading and article on the top 55 watch brands by Luxe Digital today. Rolex is #1. I spent a couple hours looking at options for my next purchase.

We all know that Rolex brings so many aspects to the luxury watch experience that their ranking is deserved. Rolex forums are always #1 in participation.

However, even the most loyal Rolex owners have a couple other brands in their collection.

Here’s Luxe’s list of the top 55 by rank.

1. Rolex
2. Patek Philippe
3. Audemars Piguet
4. A.Lange & Söhne
5. Omega
6. Blancpain
7. IWC Schaffhausen
8. Jaeger-LeCoultre
9. Chopard
10. Piaget
11. Cartier
12. Vacheron Constantin
13. Montblanc
14. Ulysse Nardin
15. Panerai
16. Girard-Perregaux
17. Hublot
18. Bulgari
19. NOMOS Glashütte
20. Vincero
21. Breitling
22. Bremont
23. TAG Heuer
24. Baume & Mercier
25. Rado
26. Maurice Lacroix
27. Roger Dubuis
28. F.P.Journe
29. Tiffany & Co.
30. Louis Vuitton
31. Bamford
32. Zenith
33. Bell & Ross
34. Arnold & Son
35. Tudor
36. Alpina
37. Seiko
38. Jaquet Droz
39. Laurent Ferrier
40. Hamilton
41. Longines
42.Maurice de Mauriac
43. Parmigiani Fleurier
44. Gucci
45. Weiss
46. Armani
47. Tissot
48. Van Cleef & Arpels
49.Junghans
50. Bulova
51. Bovet Fleurier
52. Oris
53. Armin Strom
54. Ressence
55. Carl F. Bucherer

seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:29 AM   #29
AndrewMeadville
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP39, DJ36, BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
I was reading and article on the top 55 watch brands by Luxe Digital today. Rolex is #1. I spent a couple hours looking at options for my next purchase.

We all know that Rolex brings so many aspects to the luxury watch experience that their ranking is deserved. Rolex forums are always #1 in participation.

However, even the most loyal Rolex owners have a couple other brands in their collection.

Here’s Luxe’s list of the top 55 by rank.

1. Rolex
2. Patek Philippe
3. Audemars Piguet
4. A.Lange & Söhne
5. Omega
6. Blancpain
7. IWC Schaffhausen
8. Jaeger-LeCoultre
9. Chopard
10. Piaget
11. Cartier
12. Vacheron Constantin
13. Montblanc
14. Ulysse Nardin
15. Panerai
16. Girard-Perregaux
17. Hublot
18. Bulgari
19. NOMOS Glashütte
20. Vincero
21. Breitling
22. Bremont
23. TAG Heuer
24. Baume & Mercier
25. Rado
26. Maurice Lacroix
27. Roger Dubuis
28. F.P.Journe
29. Tiffany & Co.
30. Louis Vuitton
31. Bamford
32. Zenith
33. Bell & Ross
34. Arnold & Son
35. Tudor
36. Alpina
37. Seiko
38. Jaquet Droz
39. Laurent Ferrier
40. Hamilton
41. Longines
42.Maurice de Mauriac
43. Parmigiani Fleurier
44. Gucci
45. Weiss
46. Armani
47. Tissot
48. Van Cleef & Arpels
49.Junghans
50. Bulova
51. Bovet Fleurier
52. Oris
53. Armin Strom
54. Ressence
55. Carl F. Bucherer

F.P.Journe At #28!?! What a joke! They make million dollar one of a kind pieces of art.
AndrewMeadville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 12:22 PM   #30
David001
Banned

For the forty years that I've been into watches I've had many obstacles in my way. In my younger years I couldn't afford 'grail' pieces, even when that grail was only a calculator watch when I was 10yrs old, so I had to drool over magazines (before the internet beamed pictures instantly into your hand).
I never got bored with that.

Then when I could afford some of the pieces that I wanted there was sometimes a problem getting them, because I tended to like things that weren't always popular or available.
I never got bored with that either.

And now I can afford five figure price watches, but they often aren't available to me.
It can be frustrating, but I'm not bored with it. Fortunately for me I don't like the coloured bezel Rolex watches with cartoon names, so that hype has completely passed me by.

So I guess I'm not bored yet, although I'm not an avid watch nerd, I just like them and it's been a slow burn over decades, and I haven't always been able to get what I wanted.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote