The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2020, 01:40 PM   #211
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Fortunately, I own the Rolexes I want. If I were just starting out now, I don’t think that I would jump through hoops to get a Rolex.

I like and own other brands. If Rolex is so hard to get, I just as soon go Omega, JLC, GS, etc.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:14 PM   #212
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Fortunately, I own the Rolexes I want. If I were just starting out now, I don’t think that I would jump through hoops to get a Rolex.

I like and own other brands. If Rolex is so hard to get, I just as soon go Omega, JLC, GS, etc.
I agree. I’ve only bought one Grey, my TT Bluesy bought in July for essentially retail. I won’t over pay for any...
Old 21 October 2020, 08:24 PM   #213
Chinballs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As someone starting out I did a heap of research and went into it with open eyes. I'm on the list that may or may not exist at a couple of ADs (not many near me) and gave them my best sob story about why I wanted a Rolex, why I wanted that particular model and that it was for a milestone birthday. If it happens, great, if not I'm not gonna jump through a million hoops just to end up in the same position ie without the watch I actually want.

I decided early on I wasn't going to buy stuff I don't want just to flip as I may as well skip a few steps, go gray market and still pay thousands of dollars more to get the watch I wanted.

Will I get the watch I want from an AD? Doubtful. But honestly, I'm not that bothered. I also love the Tudor Pelagos as well as several Omega models (SMP, Aqua Terra, Planet Ocean). If I don't get a Rolex I'll just walk into a different shop and pay retail for a different watch without all the jerking around you have to do with Rolex ADs.

Rolex watches are fantastic but the Rolex shopping experience is atrocious. I actually feel worse for long term Rolex customers than people like me just starting out in the watch world.
Chinballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 08:31 PM   #214
Chinballs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As someone starting out I did a heap of research and went into it with open eyes. I'm on the list that may or may not exist at a couple of ADs (not many near me) and gave them my best sob story about why I wanted a Rolex, why I wanted that particular model and that it was for a milestone birthday. If it happens, great, if not I'm not gonna jump through a million hoops just to end up in the same position ie without the watch I actually want.

I decided early on I wasn't going to buy stuff I don't want just to flip as I may as well skip a few steps, go gray market and still pay thousands of dollars more to get the watch I wanted.

Will I get the watch I want from an AD? Doubtful. But honestly, I'm not that bothered. I also love the Tudor Pelagos as well as several Omega models (SMP, Aqua Terra, Planet Ocean). If I don't get a Rolex I'll just walk into a different shop and pay retail for a different watch without all the messing around you have to do with Rolex ADs.

Rolex watches are fantastic but the Rolex shopping experience is atrocious. I actually feel worse for long term Rolex customers than people like me just starting out in the watch world.
Chinballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 12:01 AM   #215
kepler22
"TRF" Member

Agree with most of the comments here. Rolex make great watches, which at the moment are going up in value. Sports models in the UK are hard to come by. Have a good relationship with the SA, and have bought 7 watches from him (not all Rolex) but stock answer at the moment for any of the popular models is 12-18 months wait, so it’s a little frustrating. That said no matter how attractive a watch is I am loathe to buy it if I lose 30% as soon as I walk out of the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kepler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 12:26 AM   #216
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler22 View Post
Agree with most of the comments here. Rolex make great watches, which at the moment are going up in value. Sports models in the UK are hard to come by. Have a good relationship with the SA, and have bought 7 watches from him (not all Rolex) but stock answer at the moment for any of the popular models is 12-18 months wait, so it’s a little frustrating. That said no matter how attractive a watch is I am loathe to buy it if I lose 30% as soon as I walk out of the door. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the value proposition of Rolex is a double edged sword as you stated so nicely.

I was watching this video on YouTube of one of the online sellers touting the attributes of a particular Grand Seiko...

His point was that he thought the watch was so beautiful he didn't care if it retained it's value or not. Truth is, most of the stuff we buy doesn't retain it's value whatsoever - however with Rolex in particular, the minute they announce a new model, the prior model jumps in value because "it's never going to be made again." You should buy a watch because you love it, not because it will hold it's value. Truth in fact some of the rarest Rolexes made volume wise aren't that expensive overall even on places like C24.

On the other side, although I do think there are shenanigans regarding Rolex inventory both from Rolex, the ADs and grey market, you can't argue with the liquidity that the grey market provides. Any Rolex you currently have that you are willing to part with will at a minimum guarantee that you wore it for free.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 04:41 AM   #217
kepler22
"TRF" Member

Agree one of the few assets the man on the street can buy without any depreciation. I can justify a Rolex collection as I can always get my money back (atm), but i would need a bigger disposable income to invest a similar amount of money in a depreciating asset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kepler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 06:52 PM   #218
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
The 2nd hand prices are crazy. So yes. I still have a 16600,exp 114270 though.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 07:17 PM   #219
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentb View Post
I could not agree less.
That’s a new one.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 07:50 PM   #220
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
I got a sub, deepsea, gmt master2 and I never get bored maybe because I also owned other brands like omega and JLC and I dont have a watch with the same function just different color.
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 08:10 PM   #221
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I get bored occasionally but it never lasts. Maybe it's the addictive nature of this forum that keeps me glued to the brand. I've got other watch brands and have had many more all of which are gone. Now it's pretty much down to Rolex on my wrist and occasionally one of my Ball or Grand Seiko watches. I've still got more that 20 watches of which only four are Rolex which dominate the wrist time by far. I keep thinking that I'll actually wear something else but the truth is that it doesn't happen. Gone is Breitling, gone is Omega, gone is TAG Heuer. It is what it is (as they say).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:09 AM   #222
mgarthwaite
"TRF" Member

I love the brand, it is a shame that I cannot get the new models, I have a reasonable collection with a lot that is super hot, SD43, Kermit, Hulk, Batman, can I get the GMT on a jubilee from my AD where the majority of my watches have been bought from, can I hell. I have started to buy Tudor watches (4 to date) so that I am in with a shout...
mgarthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote