The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 October 2020, 11:11 PM   #1
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Z blue
Panerai... The itch I can’t scratch?

Hello all

Would like some input from the panerai experts here on wearability and if I should dip my toes back in the waters

Currently I have two watches, the hulk and Batman. I love the colors but they essentially look very similar. I have been pretty happy with this rotation and haven’t really thought about adding anything BUT for some reason I just keep looking at Panerais

The back story:

I had a panerai once. The 392. I loved the look and it seemed to fit my wrist (I will attach a picture). The only problem (and why I sold it). I HATED wearing it. One of the most uncomfortable watch I have every worn. The case shape and how too heavy it was it would just flop around.

The size (42mm) wasn’t horrid and I think I could support a bit bigger but definitely not anything passed 44. Love the militare look but they are way too big for my small wrists.

Knowing all of this, I have my eye on a Pam 590. Am i crazy to consider this? Wills it wear differently than the 392 being manual wind? I have found one with the sand which dial which is a must for me and I love the look. I am just scared history will repeat

Thanks for letting all of your help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4D35327A-0C92-4C88-84A9-E99B800CECC8.jpeg (93.2 KB, 773 views)
MacanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:39 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I whole heartedly endorse you giving the brand another go

In all seriousness, fit and feel vs what looks good, is something I’ve struggled with over the years in my watch journey. I think we all do to a certain extent.

In my case I’ve had the opposite experience and find my Panerai to be one of the most comfortable watches I own, despite its 47mm case.

I love the look of a larger watch and I’ve tried the Dblue, SD43, Seiko Samurai etc ... I found all of these wore top heavy and were not as comfortable as the Pam.

Long story short, only you can be the judge and it make take another attempt to figure it out. Hopefully owners of the reference you are interested in will chime in here
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:56 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

After a week with my 116610LV, I just switched today to my PAM 164, and am very happy. Makes for a great change of pace from Rolex sports watches.

I also found the 3-digit 1950 auto models to be a bit top-heavy on my wrist.

That being said, the 4-digit 1950 autos are thinner. Maybe check out a 1312 or 1313?

If you want to stay with the crown guard but try a different case shape, give the Bettarini case models a try (000, 104, 111, 164, 390, 590, etc.). Or try a Radiomir like a 210 or 232.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:03 AM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I absolutely love my Panerai watches. They complement the traditional Rolex look of my BLNR. The P.9010 movements are outstanding and in my movement testing outperforms the latest Rolex movement in amplitude and accuracy long into its power reserve. My favorite is the 44mm size Panerai.

Nothing is more comfortable or tougher than my Pam 661 Carbotech. It makes conventional SS watches feel kinda old fashion.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 06:09 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great post OP and as you know best to try 'em on. My 'puny' 6.75" yet wide top wrist works perfectly with the 44mm Luminor imho. Always good to have a Panerai on your wrist.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 06:22 AM   #6
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Sorry No help here.. I tried to buy my first. Ended up liking the Radiomir 572 the best for me. The AD even offered a smokin discount for two weeks to close the deal. I just can't seem to pull the trigger.. thinking..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
372 is a fine option
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 12:23 PM   #8
3 Putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I bought a Datejust II a few years back. Did not like the fit/feel on my wrist. Sold it. Six months ago, I bought a DJ41 thinking I would give it a try, slightly different watch. Same issue. Sold it.

As much as I want to like these watches, they just do not work for me. Panerai may the be same for you. Liking the look and brand is different from liking the fit and feel. Good luck!!
Old 21 October 2020, 12:30 PM   #9
thsiao
"TRF" Member

If it was too heavy back then it will be too heavy now. Unless you try a different material that will make it significantly lighter. The Carbotech is insane light, too light for my taste actually.
Old 21 October 2020, 02:06 PM   #10
miggi
"TRF" Member

Check out the 1661. I had a 312 and hated wearing it, loved looking at it. The 1661 fits like a glove, has the look I was going for. The 1389 was WAY BIGGER than I wanted but it fit so much better too with all the same things I loved about the 312. Bought both
miggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:16 PM   #11
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Wearing a 111 right now. Very comfy. I don’t have big wrists at 6.75” but it just works. The 47mm models look kind of silly on me though.

@Mystro - that Carbotech looks amazing.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:43 PM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The 44mm Bettarini case is very wearable. The 590 being manual wind is flatter and definitely comfortable. Go and try different ones on. One thing I would say is that the OEM straps need a good couple of weeks to soften before feeling truly comfortable.
Old 21 October 2020, 06:21 PM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
The 44mm Bettarini case is very wearable. The 590 being manual wind is flatter and definitely comfortable. Go and try different ones on. One thing I would say is that the OEM straps need a good couple of weeks to soften before feeling truly comfortable.
I'll second this. I have a 590 and it's very comfortable on my wrist. The OEM strap is super comfy after it breaks in. People say the 1950 case is the bees knees in the comfort dept. If you have the ability to try one on, it might be best. Then there's the whole custom strap scene with endless possibilities.
Old 22 October 2020, 04:13 AM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Most of us have a brand or watch that calls to us but something keeps us from pulling the trigger. I think that’s normal and part of what makes this fun. I will agree with Paul that being able to try it on is awesome because it can help seal the deal one way or the other. Happy hunting, always my favorite part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 05:54 AM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I'll second this. I have a 590 and it's very comfortable on my wrist. The OEM strap is super comfy after it breaks in. People say the 1950 case is the bees knees in the comfort dept. If you have the ability to try one on, it might be best. Then there's the whole custom strap scene with endless possibilities.
As it happens I sold a Bettarini for a 233. It is the bee-knees
Old 22 October 2020, 06:29 PM   #16
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
As it happens I sold a Bettarini for a 233. It is the bee-knees
The 233 has a lot of good stuff to like about it . Great watch
Old 23 October 2020, 12:57 AM   #17
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all of the help and kind words. This has really pushed me. I thought the 590 was the one, but the 233 with the domed sapphire and sand which dial at 44mm seems like the one

It won’t wear like the 392 right? It’s more balanced?
Old 23 October 2020, 05:49 AM   #18
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
The 233 has a lot of good stuff to like about it . Great watch
Truly a relative bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacanS View Post
Thank you for all of the help and kind words. This has really pushed me. I thought the 590 was the one, but the 233 with the domed sapphire and sand which dial at 44mm seems like the one

It won’t wear like the 392 right? It’s more balanced?
Try one, you should find it sits better on the wrist.
Old 23 October 2020, 07:38 AM   #19
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Truly a relative bargain

Try one, you should find it sits better on the wrist.
Unfortunately I have zero ability to try one on. My town didn’t even have a Rolex AD until recently
Old 27 October 2020, 07:59 AM   #20
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I whole heartedly endorse you giving the brand another go

In all seriousness, fit and feel vs what looks good, is something I’ve struggled with over the years in my watch journey. I think we all do to a certain extent.

In my case I’ve had the opposite experience and find my Panerai to be one of the most comfortable watches I own, despite its 47mm case.

I love the look of a larger watch and I’ve tried the Dblue, SD43, Seiko Samurai etc ... I found all of these wore top heavy and were not as comfortable as the Pam.

Long story short, only you can be the judge and it make take another attempt to figure it out. Hopefully owners of the reference you are interested in will chime in here

This ^^^

Wise words

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 03:21 PM   #21
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Easy solution. Go radiomir with wire lugs. The most comfortable watch I own.
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 03:04 AM   #22
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I've had a love/hate relationship with the brand. I appreciate their unique look, but have struggled with their brand direction, current offerings, and extreme variability among their references. It might not seem so, but even among cases sizes and styles, there is a huge variation among how pieces wear. Not all 45mm Radiomirs wear the exact same. Not all 44mm Luminor 1950s wear the same. I have owned the 024, 005, 514, 372, 610, 563, 1312, 1305. I have also flipped all of them. The only one I regret was the 005 which I had to sell for financial reasons when I was younger.

Panerai makes some really good stuff. They have unfortunately discontinued some of their best work. There is a lot that they are putting out now that I do not like. You really need to sift through the brand and try a lot on to find something that will stick. That's been my struggle.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:48 AM   #23
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I've had a love/hate relationship with the brand. I appreciate their unique look, but have struggled with their brand direction, current offerings, and extreme variability among their references. It might not seem so, but even among cases sizes and styles, there is a huge variation among how pieces wear. Not all 45mm Radiomirs wear the exact same. Not all 44mm Luminor 1950s wear the same. I have owned the 024, 005, 514, 372, 610, 563, 1312, 1305. I have also flipped all of them. The only one I regret was the 005 which I had to sell for financial reasons when I was younger.

Panerai makes some really good stuff. They have unfortunately discontinued some of their best work. There is a lot that they are putting out now that I do not like. You really need to sift through the brand and try a lot on to find something that will stick. That's been my struggle.
I’m so lucky that I settled on a 233 early!!! I also feel that there is nothing new that I’d consider buying.
Old 28 October 2020, 11:41 AM   #24
epicurus
"TRF" Member

the brand is derp rooted in history. theyre amazing. i always go back to them.
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:45 PM   #25
supra8903
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post

I can not agree more.... ive had them before and want them again, but not sure I like where they are going.
supra8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 01:42 AM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra8903 View Post
I can not agree more.... ive had them before and want them again, but not sure I like where they are going.
Unlike other very conservative and maybe stagnant design styles, Panerai is pushing ahead with core designs but very new and modern materials. Better in-house movements as well. The brand is more diverse now than it ever was and also diverse on its price point structure so I do agree there are models I wouldn’t touch but other models that I lust after and am excited about. You can’t lump the entire Panerai catalogue together.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 02:42 AM   #27
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
I love Panerai and is a good brand to own because it’s so unique. Nothing looks like them. One of my Panerai’s is the 372 with acrylic instead of sapphire; the weight of sapphire is what makes a lot of these watches top heavy.

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 04:37 PM   #28
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
I know the feeling, I went back and forth between the brands two times in the past......sold pam531 and pam944
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 05:28 PM   #29
athan1
"TRF" Member

I also have the same problem but I have stuck to panerai as not many others wear them in the wild as Rolex. Personally have a 233 and 911. The 233 dome dot is super comfortable; even on an average wrist. Feel as if the 44mm is perfect along with luminor case. Can’t go wrong!
athan1 is offline   Reply With Quote