The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 October 2018, 09:44 PM   #61
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Yes, sell the 5711 ... to me .. ;-)
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 09:56 PM   #62
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

No chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 10:24 PM   #63
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'll come at this from a different perspective. Although I guess pt. Daytona prices have increased a fair amount, 5711 and Naut. prices are not exactly at historically low levels either. If the value trade makes sense to you, I can say that the pt. Daytona is a great watch to enjoy without worrying about it. The cerachrome bezel, of course, is very very durable unless you really abuse it. As you know from owning the SS Daytona, the watch itself is rock solid and can certainly be worn daily. I do. The reasons you aren't getting much enjoyment out of your PPs seems to be a combination of feeling they are perhaps too delicate for frequent use and too flashy in RG. Unless you are at a Rolex AD, virtually no one is going to know you are wearing platinum Daytona. It is nothing like wearing yellow gold or rose gold.

So from a practicality and under the radar viewpoint, the platinum Daytona will likely make you very happy. From a value/desirability standpoint, few Patek fans are going to vote for the trade.
Old 26 October 2018, 10:36 PM   #64
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I would not do this.

I love Rolex watches. I do not love the name.

I love wearing my one and only Patek because it does not scream ROLEX!!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!

Please don't misunderstand me, I currently have 4 Rolex watches. And I think they are magnificent. But I truly love being under the radar in this regard.

IMHO, even a rose gold Patek does not scream nearly so loud as even a SS DJ41. And btw, if I were to get rid of any of any of my Rolex watches, the DJ41 would be my only keeper.

This is all of course just my own perspective. I realize it might very well be warped.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 11:13 PM   #65
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I would not do this.

I love Rolex watches. I do not love the name.

I love wearing my one and only Patek because it does not scream ROLEX!!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!

Please don't misunderstand me, I currently have 4 Rolex watches. And I think they are magnificent. But I truly love being under the radar in this regard.

IMHO, even a rose gold Patek does not scream nearly so loud as even a SS DJ41. And btw, if I were to get rid of any of any of my Rolex watches, the DJ41 would be my only keeper.

This is all of course just my own perspective. I realize it might very well be warped.
That's interesting. I find that, other than on this forum or at a jewelry store, so few people notice watches that it's not really worth "worrying" about. I admit I've never worn a solid YG or RG watch, but did wear a TT DJ for 30 years. I guess I don't know how many people "notice" my watches and don't say anything, but I've had maybe three comments on my Daytona in two years, and just a handful of comments on my DJ over the years.

But I can certainly imagine that any PP would be less identifiable as an expensive watch to the masses compared with any Rolex.
Old 26 October 2018, 11:37 PM   #66
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
That's interesting. I find that, other than on this forum or at a jewelry store, so few people notice watches that it's not really worth "worrying" about. I admit I've never worn a solid YG or RG watch, but did wear a TT DJ for 30 years. I guess I don't know how many people "notice" my watches and don't say anything, but I've had maybe three comments on my Daytona in two years, and just a handful of comments on my DJ over the years.

But I can certainly imagine that any PP would be less identifiable as an expensive watch to the masses compared with any Rolex.
I acknowledge that I could be wrong. And everyone will have a different perception.

However, I see people look at my watch all the time. And very often people comment on it. I have had tons of comments over the years.

And I also make tons of comments. Granted, I am a WIS and a bit of an extrovert.

That all said, I have found that just because people aren't saying anything doesn't mean they don't notice it. I find the people are always looking, sizing up, and judging. People notice cars, shoes, pants, jackets and watches amongst other things.

Old 26 October 2018, 11:40 PM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I acknowledge that I could be wrong. And everyone will have a different perception.

However, I see people look at my watch all the time. And very often people comment on it. I have had tons of comments over the years.

And I also make tons of comments. Granted, I am a WIS and a bit of an extrovert.

That all said, I have found that just because people aren't saying anything doesn't mean they don't notice it. I find the people are always looking, sizing up, and judging. People notice cars, shoes, pants, jackets and watches amongst other things.
they notice and if they ask its always "is it a Rolex" even if it isnt. Just because someone doesn't say anything they still see it.

Ive seen guys leaving the bathroom with toilet paper stuck on the back of their shoe. I don't say anything, but i absolutely noticed.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 11:43 PM   #68
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
No way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 12:02 AM   #69
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
....That all said, I have found that just because people aren't saying anything doesn't mean they don't notice it. I find the people are always looking, sizing up, and judging. People notice cars, shoes, pants, jackets and watches amongst other things.
Valid point. I don't know what people are thinking or noticing, just what they are saying. I am sure that more than three people "noticed" my Daytona in two years, but have no idea how often that occurs.
Old 27 October 2018, 12:09 AM   #70
yoast
"TRF" Member

From your collection I’d sell all but the 2 you mentioned (5711 and 5167r) lol then buy a platona with that
Old 27 October 2018, 01:08 AM   #71
Mach 5
"TRF" Member

If you rarely wear them, what’s the point of keeping them as price appreciation The last year is higher than normal. Take the money and put into something you will use.
Mach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 01:10 AM   #72
R!$
Banned

Yes because 5711 price WILL come down
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 05:41 AM   #73
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Solution: Daily wear the hell out of the 5711 and sell the R. Forget the Daytona.

There, I just saved you a ton of time and energy.
I was going to say the same thing. If the 5711 isn’t in a sealed box, you should wear it more often. The platinum Daytona is a great watch, but the stainless steel version is 100% more wearable.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 05:59 AM   #74
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I totally get the appeal of the platinum daytona - came close to buying one myself a few years ago. However I think the 116500 is actually the one to have, so wouldn’t do the trade.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong keeping the 5711 for special occasions and using one of your other watches as a daily. If you do sell I think £30k is a fair price as they do sell for a few thousand less than the blue dial.

I would sell the 5167r though if you’re not comfortable wearing it. I’d maybe replace that with a 5164.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 06:17 AM   #75
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
My white dialled 5711 sits unworn in the safe for “special occasions”. The 5167R gets worn occasionally but the Rose gold case although beautiful, shouts when worn with short sleeves.

I think now might be a good time to trade these watches for one I know will get more wrist time. I’ve been looking at the Platinum Daytona for a while now and seen it rise in price while deciding what to do.

I’ve been offered £30,000 for the 5711 and £23,000 for the 5167R.

Would you sell both and use the money to buy a mint 2016 Platinum Daytona for £46,000 and pocket the surplus £7000?

I know it’s ultimately my decision but I’m curious to know what the majority would do.

Thanks in advance.
Won't the Platinum Daytona scream out
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 06:22 AM   #76
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I totally get the appeal of the platinum daytona - came close to buying one myself a few years ago. However I think the 116500 is actually the one to have, so wouldn’t do the trade.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong keeping the 5711 for special occasions and using one of your other watches as a daily. If you do sell I think £30k is a fair price as they do sell for a few thousand less than the blue dial.

I would sell the 5167r though if you’re not comfortable wearing it. I’d maybe replace that with a 5164.
I can’t wrap my head around the 5711 for special occasions.

It’s a super simple SS watch. I get the appeal, so please don’t misunderstand me. But it’s still a very basic stainless steel watch.

My opinion is to wear the F out of it.

Old 27 October 2018, 06:54 AM   #77
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
No
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 06:56 AM   #78
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
No way. I have sold very popular watches in the past that I could not bond with, so I understand your dilemma.
Old 27 October 2018, 07:59 AM   #79
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
I can’t wrap my head around the 5711 for special occasions.

It’s a super simple SS watch. I get the appeal, so please don’t misunderstand me. But it’s still a very basic stainless steel watch.

My opinion is to wear the F out of it.
Yes the 5711 is a simple watch, but it’s relatively expensive. Some people like to keep their Pateks in like new condition, so just wear occasionally. Other people might do the same with a Rolex. I’m just saying I think that’s fine and not a reason to sell.

Other people, like yourself wear the F out of it. That’s also cool
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 08:04 AM   #80
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Wow, just...wow.

Such a profoundly poor trade it’s shocking.

You know what man, go for it. That you could even fathom that as being vaguely reasonable speaks to your intense desire to get rid of your two watches for a platinum Daytona.
Old 27 October 2018, 08:22 AM   #81
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I was going to say the same thing. If the 5711 isn’t in a sealed box, you should wear it more often. The platinum Daytona is a great watch, but the stainless steel version is 100% more wearable.
If you're very active, which watch do you think's going to be able to truly handle that type of activity. I tend to wear my timepieces as beaters and am sure you know which one can easily handle it.... and which one will have loom fall out and perhaps other problems.

Just say no to Safe Queens.

Rolex all day long for the win.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 09:16 AM   #82
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I'll come at this from a different perspective. Although I guess pt. Daytona prices have increased a fair amount, 5711 and Naut. prices are not exactly at historically low levels either. If the value trade makes sense to you, I can say that the pt. Daytona is a great watch to enjoy without worrying about it. The cerachrome bezel, of course, is very very durable unless you really abuse it. As you know from owning the SS Daytona, the watch itself is rock solid and can certainly be worn daily. I do. The reasons you aren't getting much enjoyment out of your PPs seems to be a combination of feeling they are perhaps too delicate for frequent use and too flashy in RG. Unless you are at a Rolex AD, virtually no one is going to know you are wearing platinum Daytona. It is nothing like wearing yellow gold or rose gold.

So from a practicality and under the radar viewpoint, the platinum Daytona will likely make you very happy. From a value/desirability standpoint, few Patek fans are going to vote for the trade.
This sums up my sentiment perfectly.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 09:19 AM   #83
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Yes the 5711 is a simple watch, but it’s relatively expensive. Some people like to keep their Pateks in like new condition, so just wear occasionally. Other people might do the same with a Rolex. I’m just saying I think that’s fine and not a reason to sell.

Other people, like yourself wear the F out of it. That’s also cool
I’m with you. I get it. Even at retail, it’s super expensive all things considered.

I was very nervous the first few weeks wearing my Patek. After the first big ding I nearly lost it. A few scratches later and I like all my imperfections.

I do understand concern about wearing these watches. I get it. But I’d surely sell if I couldn’t get over it. I’m so glad I did “get over it”. It’s a watch after all.

Old 27 October 2018, 09:41 AM   #84
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Dont let go of the 5712

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 10:00 AM   #85
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Am I the only one who finds a Platinum Daytona more flashy then a Nautilus?

I was on a plane last week and someone had one on. Stood out a lot (more so then my 5711 and 116500 I would say. Def more bling factor).

....it was a beauty though

As a 5711 and Daytona owner I use the 5711 for nicer occasions and Daytona more as a daily. Its not that I fear the 5711 is fragile. More that a 5711 beatup is not appealing to look at (I also felt the same with my 116520 SS bezel). The ceramic bezels keep the watch looking tip top condition and more care free when wearing!!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 10:06 AM   #86
charge
"TRF" Member

I'd say do it because it sounds like your heart is leaning in that direction and you need to satisfy that urge.
charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 11:26 AM   #87
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

My rule is it's gone if not worn. My exception to that rule would be the 5711.
Old 27 October 2018, 12:51 PM   #88
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If it means more wrist time then sure.

I would recommend keeping the 5711 and 5167/A and trading whatever else needs to be traded to get the 116506. The 116500 and 5167R are no brainers as you do not like the RG patek and will have a superior daytona incoming.

I would try to end up with 5711/1A, 5167/a, 116506, 116610LV

What Tom said!

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 02:44 PM   #89
Hermann
"TRF" Member

Hello,
I have both 116506 and 5711... the 5711 is a quite nice watch but the Platin Daytona is for me the burner !!
The dial from the 116506 is much more beautiful.
When you would ask me what to do between a 5170P and a 116506, i would have no answer.
I am also thinking to sell the 5711, i never wear this watch, i don't know why...
maybe its the weight??

5711 -->around 100g
116506-->around 280g
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 09:47 PM   #90
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Never!
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote