The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 9 October 2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Big Sexy
"TRF" Member

Spring bar tool help needed...im a cheap idiot

Ive got a couple Tudors and few Rolex watches that naturally have solid end links. Id like to be able to remove the bracelets for cleaning without damaging my lugs. I know of the Rolex spring bar plier but its damn pricy and I don't trust myself with the single bladed tool for reinstallation.

Can anyone confirm that a Horotec MSA 10.306 will fit in the tight spots and is of good quality? Tried a chinese knock off from eBay that claimed to be the same size and it doesn't fit.

Feeling pretty frustrated and foolish at the moment
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 12:56 PM   #2
TTalk
Banned

Well I jumped down this wormhole today, I don't have any answers as I have zero experience removing a band. But here's what I found looking specifically for Rolex solutions. People have commented that the Tudors might be a little tougher to remove.

Tools $135-$160 US

The Bergeron Tweezers seem to have the most support from TRF members. The tips may break, replacements are ~$80US.

Tools under $100US

The Horofix Tweezers have some support on TRF and on other watch forums. The tips may break, there is an included extra set and replacements are ~$25US.

I've seen less support for either set of pliers, but there are a few positive comments on those. I've found no specific comments suggesting the similar appearing units were made in the same factory. Some people still prefer a single straight tool, you can find those options at both URLs linked below.

Two sites mentioned that list some or all of the above products for sale are linked below, I'm sure there are others. Make sure you select the appropriate tips for your application(s):

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-band-tools/

http://www.ofrei.com/page252.html

You might also consider using protective tape ( here or here ) to minimize scratching the case when removing/reinstalling. If all of this seems like too much, you can always make a request at your local AD or support your local qualified watchmaker.
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTalk View Post
Well I jumped down this wormhole today, I don't have any answers as I have zero experience removing a band. But here's what I found looking specifically for Rolex solutions. People have commented that the Tudors might be a little tougher to remove.

Tools $135-$160 US

The Bergeron Tweezers seem to have the most support from TRF members. The tips may break, replacements are ~$80US.

Tools under $100US

The Horofix Tweezers have some support on TRF and on other watch forums. The tips may break, there is an included extra set and replacements are ~$25US.

I've seen less support for either set of pliers, but there are a few positive comments on those. I've found no specific comments suggesting the similar appearing units were made in the same factory. Some people still prefer a single straight tool, you can find those options at both URLs linked below.

Two sites mentioned that list some or all of the above products for sale are linked below, I'm sure there are others. Make sure you select the appropriate tips for your application(s):

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-band-tools/

http://www.ofrei.com/page252.html

You might also consider using protective tape ( here or here ) to minimize scratching the case when removing/reinstalling. If all of this seems like too much, you can always make a request at your local AD or support your local qualified watchmaker.

Great post! I have no experience removing a bracelet either but glad you posted this.
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 02:41 PM   #4
fmc000
Banned

I have the 7825. I may be expensive but when you try it you'll never look back.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 02:00 AM   #5
chaw6125
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC 116610
I have the bergeon 7825 and paid £100 GBP or so. Worth the money.

Also buy some Kapton tape for the lugs just to be sure. It is a copper coloured tape that will help resist scratches. It won't stop you if you are completely ham-fisted but will help. They use it to protect polished surfaces when applying a brushed finish close to it. Think about polished centre links on a Daytona or GMT.
chaw6125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 02:32 AM   #6
tfjordan
"TRF" Member

I heard a long time ago the first investment you should make is a high quality springbar tool. I didn't listen and fiddled with literally dozens and dozens of watches over the years until I FINALLY got a $30 Bergeron off Amazon a few months ago and it does make a huge difference. You don't have to spend $100 to get a great springbar tool.

Another piece of advice I didn't listen to buy wish I had is to buy good spring bars. They make all the difference in the world. Who really needs 1,000 in that $10 pack anyway? Buy half a dozen in each size for $5 each and make your life easier.

One more thing - I promised early on to never attempt a bracelet or strap change while rushing out the door. Rushing will put more marks on watches than anything. Anyhoo, welcome to the sport!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Omega Speedmaster 145.014
Tudor BB Blue
tfjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 04:27 AM   #7
TTalk
Banned

Bergeon 6825 & 7825 Spring bar tweezers/pliers video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpGpzT1mgfY
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 06:14 AM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
The Horofix 7825 "Tweezers" type works GREAT on my Rolex and Tudors.

As my father used to say "The right tool for the right job is never a waste of money."

OMG was he right when I learned a few things the hard way.

Some of the Chinese import imitations have easily-breakable points. Just saying.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 12:39 PM   #9
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
The Horofix 7825 "Tweezers" type works GREAT on my Rolex and Tudors.

As my father used to say "The right tool for the right job is never a waste of money."

OMG was he right when I learned a few things the hard way.

Some of the Chinese import imitations have easily-breakable points. Just saying.
Thanks for making me think of my Dad! "A wrench that fits never slips" was one of his favorites! I will buy a quality tool when I'm ready.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote